Chapter 20

Like a fool, I smile when I see you

 

                Where is she?

                Nichkhun waited for Victoria. ‘We Got Married’ shooting would start soon, and he had come early. But he couldn’t see Victoria anywhere.

                Suddenly, two hands were placed in front of his eyes, cold to the touch. A familiar scent wreathed around him, and he felt the hands tickle his cheeks.

                “Victoria?”

                “Oh, you knew?” Victoria laughed and took her hands off Nichkhun’s face. He immediately turned around, and was shocked to see what he saw.

                  She was so skinny, so thin. Her cheeks were gaunt and he could see her cheekbones. Her eyes looked a bit too big on her smaller face, and her clothes hung loose on her. She seemed to have changed completely for the week they hadn’t seen each other. Only her personality was the same.

                “What happened?” He blurted out, worriedly.

                “What do you mean?” Victoria sat down in front of him and grinned cheekily.

                “You seem so thin. Did you diet?” Nichkhun pressed, his eyes clouding with concern.

                “I did diet. Can you tell?” Victoria’s eyes lit up with delight. “Am I really skinnier?”

                Nichkhun nodded slightly, and he picked up her bony wrists.

                “Why? You were as skinny before. There’s no need for you to be in a diet. It’s not healthy.”

                Victoria laughed and patted Nichkhun’s cheeks.

                “Oh, my Nichkhun is so caring. I needed to diet because f(x) is promoting a new song, soon. I need to have a skinny image.” Victoria explained.

                “But-“

                “-its fine,” Victoria interrupted. “I love how you’re caring for me, but honestly, I’m fine. C’mon, let’s start the recording. Okay?”

                “Okay.” Nichkhun gave up. He got up, and she got up with him.

                But Nichkhun couldn’t still shake off the uncertain feeling he had.

-

                The next day, Nichkhun ran forward to catch up with Luna. Their recording for ‘Star King’ had just finished, and she was casually walking to her dressing room.

                “Hey, Luna!” Nichkhun called, and she stopped, surprised. Turning around, she waited for Nichkhun to walk towards her.

                “Yeah?” Luna took a sip of her water.

                “I need to ask you something,” Nichkhun started, and Luna stared at him, asking him to continue. “Why is Victoria dieting?”

                “Why do you think?” Luna’s eyes narrowed.

                “She said it was because f(x) was promoting a new song-“

                “-you’re an idiot, then, if you believed her,” Luna interrupted him.

                Nichkhun looked back bewildered and he opened his mouth but couldn’t say anything.

                “She’s been putting her health at risk, because of you and your fans. Ever since those articles came out of you two dating, you cannot possibly think that she won’t get antis from your fans.”

                That’s what JYP said, too.

                Luna continued.

                “After reading all the hate comments and mail she got, she saw that the majority of them were based on her physical looks.” Luna’s eyes flashed with anger. “That’s ridiculous. And even though the other members and I tried to talk to her and to tell her that she is gorgeous as she is now, she didn’t believe us. So she dieted. Always starving herself, over-practicing, barely sleeping. All for you. And I think it’s all a waste.”

                Luna stepped one step back and closed her water bottle.

                “Your fans are really something,” Luna muttered, loud enough for him to hear. “i won’t blame you for your fans, though. But I do blame you for being in love with her, for making her fall in love with you. It might have been alright in the beginning, when it was a secret, but now it’s out, and she’s suffering.”