Chapter 7

Like a fool, I smile when I see you

 

              “Today’s filming was great,” the PD called out as soon as the recording for ‘We Got Married’ finished. He walked towards Victoria and Nichkhun. “Great job, you guys. Today was a really good episode.” The PD looked relieved as he walked away, calling out to other people.

                As soon as the PD-nim left, Nichkhun let out a sigh of relief. He turned to look at Victoria, only to find her texting someone rapidly on her phone. He tried to peer over her shoulder but her long hair blocked his view.

                “Who are you texting?”

                Victoria looked up and stared into his eyes, making him blush.

                “Just texting Onew,” Victoria explained. “We’re doing a special performance in a few weeks and we’re going to practice in, like, 30 minutes.”

                “Oh,” Nichkhun commented, his jealousy subsiding. “Well, then, I’ll drive you to the studio.”

                “Really?” Victoria brightened. “Thanks!”

-

                As Nichkhun silently drove his hands firmly on the wheel, he couldn’t help but glance every now and then to Victoria, who adorably hummed to herself. She was lightly tapping her fingers against the window slowly.

                Nichkhun cleared his throat, and Victoria turned around, her face blasted from the heater for a moment.

                “I was meaning to ask…” Nichkhun started. “Are…are we a….”

                “Yes?” Victoria innocently continued to look at him with those big eyes of hers.

                “Are we a couple now? I mean…in real life…” Nichkhun’s voice faltered when he noticed that Victoria had returned back to facing the window. His ears flashed and burned bright red and his cheeks felt hot. The car suddenly felt overly stuffy.

                But then, Victoria quietly breathed on the window glass, causing steam to appear on it. Lifting her finger, she childishly wrote one word on the window.

                Yes.       

                Nichkhun’s heart felt like it skipped a bit. Victoria turned her head back at him and gave a small smile, an embarrassed smile, a happy smile. He smiled back but fought the urge to grab her hand and hold it.

-

                As the days slowly went by, the new couple’s happiness grew. They would always text each other, always inform the other of up-to-date things that happened in their lives, and they would always call each other, say good night’s before shutting off the phone and sleeping. Their on-screen relationship in ‘We Got Married’ improved as well. Netizens seemed to realize tiny changes on the show, and liked it.

                Both were happy.

                Nichkhun started being extra cheerful, extra happy, and always seemed to be extra-something on shows and radios.

                Victoria smiled much more than she used to, bowed deeper, and simply enjoyed life as it was.

                They were content.

-

                “That was a really good performance, Nichkhun,” Yoona commented. “I love 2pm’s new song.”

                Nichkhun smiled. “Ah, thanks, Yoona. It’s good to know that you like the album.”

                “The dance is pretty good, too. Wait, is this how it goes?”

                Nichkhun burst out laughing. “You’re doing it weird. Anyways, I heard SNSD is doing a single in Japan. How’s that coming along?”

                “It’s going fantastic. But, Seohyun is constantly missing Yonghwa. They text each other non stop, even if it costs a fortune. Speaking of that, how are you and your wife doing?”

                Nichkhun slightly blushed, but Yoona didn’t see it. “We’re doing good. The ratings of the show went up and…”

                At the same time, Victoria had just finished her special performance with Onew. She was panting from the dance moves and singing, but she felt thrilled that they finished it perfectly.

                “That was great, Onew,” Victoria gave him a friendly pat on the back. “You were terrific.”

                “Thanks, noona,” Onew flashed a smile. “I’ll be right back, I need to get something really quick.”

                Victoria laughed. “Alright, take your time.”

                As Onew dashed off to wherever, Victoria hummed to herself as she paced a bit in the backstage hallways. Just as she turned, she saw Nichkhun’s figure. Smiling widely, she was about to call him and wave when she realized that he was with Yoona. Her face fell when she realized how much fun he was having with her.

                Suddenly, Victoria’s visions blurred and her ears blocked out all noises. When she finally came to, she flashbacked to a heart-breaking memory from 3 years ago.

                She saw Jason, her old boyfriend, leaning against the wall, talking to some girl, who flirted continuously at him, shooting love looks. He was clearly enjoying it and let his hands travel to that girl’s hips. He scanned the room where the party was being held, and he spotted Victoria. She gave a weak smile, who secretly waited for him to run to her and say it was a misunderstanding. But he didn’t. Instead, he gave a small smirk at her direction, faced back at that girl, and gave her a kiss. Right in front of Victoria.

                She flashed back to the present, where she saw Nichkhun and Yoona. She could feel her hands trembling. When she looked back at them, she saw Yoona noticing her. Yoona smiled widely and waved at her, Nichkhun following her gaze as well, but Victoria didn’t look. She had turned around by then, her hand quickly tucking a strand of her hair behind her ear, fumbling and letting her hands slide down to her sides as she ran to the nearest bathroom.