Chapter 16

Like a fool, I smile when I see you

 

               The f(x) members were ecstatic. Their first concert was a success, and they were all thrilled from the support of their fans, and that all the worries and stress were over.

                But, Victoria was the only one who seemed a bit uncertain. Nichkhun hadn’t contacted her since the beginning of the day, and she doubted if Nichkhun had actually come. She was angry and a bit disappointed, but she knew that Nichkhun would have a valid reason.

                Slowly walking down the hallway with Krystal, the two girls chatted and laughed together. They weren’t aware that Wooyoung and Junsu were running after them.

                “Victoria-noona!” Wooyoung shouted.

                Victoria spun around, surprised, but smiled when she recognized the two 2pm members.

                “Ah, Wooyoung, Junsu,” Victoria’s eyebrows rose, when she saw the blotchy, red faces of both of them. They were panting, and their eyes were bloodshot.

                 Because of her motherly instincts, she easily realized something wasn’t right. “What’s wrong?”

                “Victoria-noona, you have to come with us right now,” Wooyoung grabbed her wrist and tried to drag her.

                “What are you talking about?” Victoria stumbled, as she continued to be pulled by Wooyoung, Krystal yelling after them.

                “Nichkhun-“Chansung panted, his hands fumbling in the air.

                “What?”

                Chansung inhaled. “Nichkhun was in an accident.”

                Victoria’s expression didn’t change. She laughed.

                “Oh, come on,” Victoria smiled cheekily. “April Fools was yesterday. You don’t expect me to believe that, do you?”

                Wooyoung impatiently shook his head.

                “I’m serious, noona. He was in a car accident. He’s in the hospital.”

                Victoria’s smile faltered a bit, and she shook Wooyoung’s grasp off her wrist.

                “Stop lying, it’s not funny anymore,” Victoria said.

                “We’re not lying, noona,”

                Victoria shook her head, slowly absorbing all the things she had just said.

                Tears formed in her eyes, and she slowly blinked. Her hands trembled, and she put her hand to .

                She crumpled to the floor, unaware that Krystal rushed to her side, trying to help her get up. She closed her eyes and she sobbed.

-

                “Its okay, Victoria,” Minho said, guiding her to the front of the door. “You can go in.”

                Victoria slowly nodded, her hands gingerly touching the door knob. She pulled it, and quietly stepped in the room, closing the door shut behind her.

                She gave in a sharp intake as soon as she saw Nichkhun on the hospital bed. He looked so different, so pale and non-moving. He looked dead, even.

                Victoria stumbled as she sat down on the chair next to him.

                She felt tears streaming down her face, and she fumbled as she tried to pull her hair back from her face.

                “I’m so scared,” Victoria murmured, her voice choked up.

                “I’m so scared, Nichkhun. I’m so scared for you. I feel so much pain in my chest-”

                Victoria traced his hand and clasped onto it.

                “-And it’s unbelievable how much pain you went through today. My pain is nothing compared.”

                Victoria smiled pitifully, love and grief in her eyes.

                “Did you know?” Victoria whispered, slowly fixing his hair. “You’re beautiful when you sleep, too.”

                She closed her eyes.

                “Just don’t stay asleep for too long.”

                And she put her hands together, and prayed.