Chapter 19

Like a fool, I smile when I see you

 

                “Are you both out of your minds?”

                Nichkhun uncomfortably squirmed in his seat. Nichkhun didn’t know if he should deny or acknowledge what JYP had just said. He opened his mouth finally to say something, but was stopped.

                “Do you know how long these kinds of news last for? Do you know how bad these articles will be for your reputation, and 2pm’s? Did you think about these thoughts at all? You’re one of the most popular idols in Korea. You can’t just get yourself a girlfriend from another girl group and be seen in public. When you signed up here in this industry, you also signed a dating contract as well. All your other members are respecting it, why can’t you?”

                Nichkhun indignantly threw his hands in the air.

                “Jonghyun’s dating someone, too,” Nichkhun argued. “She’s also pretty famous.”

                “That’s-“

                Nichkhun interrupted him. “It’s not fair. Why can’t I date someone I like, too?”

                JYP stared at him, and then sighed. He put his hands to his head and rubbed his temples. His voice got softer, and he looked tired.

                “Nichkhun, I know you like her and all. And that’s understandable, because no one can control their feelings. But, you can’t only think about yourself. What about her?”

                “What do you mean?”

                “You can’t expect every single person to be in support of you and her. Sure, both of you are ‘couples’ in ‘We Got Married’, and all, but this is real now. It’s reality. Do you think it’ll be easy for her?”

                Nichkhun didn’t know what to say.

                JYP continued. “You have much more female fans than her. And Victoria had more male fans than you. But, honestly, the female fans will care a bit more. Do you think they’ll go easy on her for dating their idol? They’ll attack her, Nichkhun, verbally. She’ll get so much hate from your fans. Don’t think it won’t hurt, because you know you’re wrong. She’ll hurt more than you could ever imagine.”

                “But-“

                “Nichkhun, I’ll say this for the last time and then you can go. For now, I won’t do anything regarding your relationship with Victoria. But, please, just think about her. If you really love her, you’ll know what to do.”

-

                “How was it? Was he hard on you?” Nichkhun asked Victoria.

                Victoria chuckled. “No, he was actually pretty okay. He didn’t seem that upset. He was mostly interested.”

                Nichkhun pressed the phone more closely to his ear.

                “Why, was he hard on you?” Victoria seemed sympathetic now, and Nichkhun suddenly longed for her to actually be in front of him, so at least some of the weight would be lifted off his shoulders.

                “No, not really.” Nichkhun lied. He was itching to tell her what he said. He wanted to ask her, do you still want to be mind even though there’ll be consequences?

                “Good,” Victoria seemed relieved.

                “So, when are we going to meet up?” Nichkhun fell back on the sofa.

                “Not until our ‘We Got Married’ shooting, unfortunately,” Victoria replied. “I have things to do, like schedules and stuff.”

                “Oh,” Nichkhun was disappointed, but didn’t want to show it.

              “Yep,” Victoria cheekily said cutely. “I have to go now since my f(x) members want to talk to me about something.”

                “About what?” Nichkhun desperately didn’t want to end his phone call with her.

                “I don’t know,” Nichkhun could picture Victoria shrugging. “I’ll call you later tonight, alright? Go to sleep early, though. Even though you’re not in the hospital anymore, you have to sleep a lot to regain your strength.”

                “Alright, alright, I know,” Nichkhun murmured, and slowly clicked the end call.

                And as soon as he heard Victoria’s voice no more, he felt empty.