Chapter 15

Like a fool, I smile when I see you

 

               Where was he?

                Victoria nervously bit her lip as she waited for Nichkhun in the f(x)’s dressing room. The concert was a half hour away from starting, and she was getting more nervous the minute. She had told him to come to the dressing room when he arrived before the concert, for good luck. But he was nowhere to be seen.

                “Victoria-unni, are you okay?” Seohyun’s voice startled her. The young SNSD member was looking at her unni worriedly.

                Forcing a big smile, Victoria tried to act cute and normal. “Ah, just a bit nervous, I guess.”

                Seohyun nodded her head, and continued to talk to her, Onew later joining in the conversation. But Victoria was distracted, and couldn’t pay attention to whatever they were saying.

                As Luna came over and sat on Victoria’s lap, Victoria mouthed to her.

                Have you seen Nichkhun?

                Luna looked surprised.

                No, I didn’t. Luna mouthed back, her eyebrows rising.

                “Want me to look for him?” Luna whispered to her, getting up.

                Victoria sighed and shook her head.

                “Maybe, he forgot to come here. He may be ready sitting in his seat, right?” Victoria seemed like she was convincing herself as well.

                Luna shrugged, and Victoria got out her phone.

                “I’ll be back,” Victoria called to her members and her other fellow SM group members.

                Leaving the dressing room, she slowly walked in circles in the hallway, calling Nichkhun over and over again.

                He didn’t answer and she was getting more disappointed. Finally, she shut her phone and walked back to the dressing room.

-

                Nichkhun tapped his leg impatiently. The show seemed to drag on longer than usual. He would constantly look around, trying to find some sort of clock nearby.

                He itched for his phone, so he could call Victoria and apologize and explain everything. But, he couldn’t have his phone out or in during the recording, and it was with his manager.

                Whenever someone would ask him something, he replied quickly. When it was his turn on a story, he rushed through it. He never felt this impatient before.

                As soon as the show finished, Nichkhun was the first one to get out, quickly bow to his seniors and friends, before rushing to his manager, grabbing his phone, and leaving. He got in his car, and quickly checked his phone.

                There were 14 missed calls, 12 text messages, 6 voicemails, all from Victoria.

                His heart sank and he closed his eyes. Should he call her now, or tell it to her in person? That was all he thought while driving.

                I’ll tell her in person.

                Nichkhun drove faster than he was supposed to, receiving several complaints from the other drivers. About half-way there, he quickly fumbled for his phone and dialed Minho’s number.

                Pressing it against his ear, he muttered in frustration until Minho picked up.

                There were crazy, loud chanting and sounds in the background, and Nichkhun could tell the concert was still going on.

                “Hey, the concert’s not over yet, right?”

                Minho sounded surprised. “No, but it’s finishing. This is the last song.”

                “Are you kidding me?” Nichkhun groaned. He pressed harder on the pedal, driving faster.

                “Oh, and-“

                “I’ll be there soon, okay?” Nichkhun hung up without waiting for Minho’s response.

                Nichkhun looked up and saw that he was off lane. He was about to move back on his lane, when he saw another car there.  Swerving uncontrollably, he quickly moved to the left, skimming and sliding.

                He felt his body impact against the wheel, and all he heard was buzzing.

                Red.

                And then, everything went black.