Chapter 6

Like a fool, I smile when I see you

 

               "But, you like childish things, right?”

                Victoria didn’t respond.

                “Don’t you?” Nichkhun hopefully pressed, staring at Victoria.

                “It’s getting late,” Victoria said flatly. “You should go, now.”

                “Oh…alright,” Nichkhun got up, a hint of disappointment in his voice. Victoria noticed it and gave a small smile when he turned around. She got up too, and led him out the hallway and to the front door.

                “Since I guess we made up, I’ll walk you out.”

                Nichkhun beamed. After waiting for her to put on her shoes, they silently waited in the elevator and gave stiff farewells when they were walking out of the apartment. They both noticed that it was raining, hard.

                “Do you have an umbrella?” Victoria asked, her eyes scanning for a umbrella nearby.

                “Nah, but I’m good,” Nichkhun smiled. “I have my hood.”

                “Alright, then,” Victoria murmured. “Bye?”

               “Bye.” Nichkhun bit his lip as he saw Victoria turning around and walk toward the apartment door. Without thinking, he quickly grabbed Victoria with a back hug. Startled, Victoria tried to turn around, which caused Nichkhun to stumble back. In a matter of moments, Victoria and Nichkhun were on the floor, her on his lap, both of them drenched in the rain and soaked from the rainy puddle they fell in.

                “Oops,” Nichkhun managed to speak out.

                He braced himself for Victoria’s anger but instead all her heard was her laughter. She was in hysterics, laughing as she clutched her sides. He chuckled, too, but spent most of the time watching her. For the first time, he saw her loosened up and not so closed-up and cold.

                When she finally calmed down, Victoria hopped off of Nichkhun, to his disappointment, and lend out her hand for him to hold. When he got up, he felt the uncomfortable feeling of water on his jeans.

                Victoria leaned forward and hugged Nichkhun. It wasn’t a tight hug, but it wasn’t loose, either. He felt her wet hair pressed against his cheek and felt her cold face on his shoulder.

                When she let go of the hug, Nichkhun immediately had the need to hug her again. She was surprisingly…huggable despite her past actions to him. He had smelt Chinese tea when he first entered the f(x) dorm, and the scent still lingered on her, mixing with the musky scent of the rain and the mud.

                She stepped one step back and smiled beautifully.

                “You’re right, Nichkhun,” Victoria called out at him as she slowly walked backwards to inside the apartment. “I do like childish things. How did you know?”

                Nichkhun blushed and he was glad that the rain was there to hide it. He started to walk away, but wouldn’t have his back turned at her for 5 seconds. He continued to look at her, unable to even leave the gaze.

                She continued to wave wildly for a few more seconds before turning around and walking back in the apartment.

                Nichkhun stopped walking and peered behind. With her gone, there was no point to turn around anymore. Yet, he kept on wishing that she was there the next time he turned around, so he could look at her and smile and be happy.

                He was bursting with joy and grinning to his heart’s content.

-

                “Hey, unni, why are you so wet?” Luna cried out as Victoria entered the dorm. Sulli rushed to her with a big towel and helped her shoes off.

                “Nothing, I kind of slipped,” Victoria sheepishly laughed, lying. Luckily, the members believed her and chided her for being so silly.             

                “I’m gonna go take a shower now,” Victoria said as she made her way into the bathroom. When she finally shut the bathroom door behind her, she slid down and smiled, grinned even.

                Her cheeks were still flushed. Her eyelashes were spiky from the rain and her arms were spotted with water droplets. Victoria’s hair was long and strand and stuck to her cheeks and back. Her clothes were ruined and muddy and wet. Overall, she looked like a mess. But she didn’t mind nor cared.

                She was happy, so happy that her heart was still beating fast from the hug she gave him. Something extraordinary had happened to her the moment her hand touched his. It made her realize something.

                She had fallen in love with him.