Chapter 13

Like a fool, I smile when I see you

 

               “Are you busy next week?”

                Nichkhun shrugged, and continued to read next to Victoria. Shooting for ‘We Got Married’ had finished. The crew and PD had already left 30 minutes ago, and the couple was reading side by side on their bed. Victoria flipped her book and put it gently on the bedspread, and then looked at Nichkhun, eyebrows raised.

                “Is that a yes or a no?”

                “Why?” Nichkhun couldn’t hold in his smile. “Do you want to hang out next week?”

                Victoria gave a small smile.

                “No, not hanging out. I’m too busy because-“Victoria paused for a dramatic effect. “f(x) is having their first concert next week!”

                “No way,” Nichkhun grinned widely for his girlfriend, beaming. He remembered that when he had his first concert, Victoria had gone to see him.

                “Yeah,” Victoria’s eyes flickered, and she blushed. “I was wondering if you wanted to come and see the concert.”

                Nichkhun opened his mouth to immediately say yes. But seeing a blushing side like this of Victoria, it was a first. So he held it in, and decided to have a bit of fun with her. Purposefully, he gave a big frown.

                “Sorry, I can’t. I just remembered, I have a 2pm thing next week.” Nichkhun tried to look un-fazed and bored.

                “What day? The concert’s on a Saturday-“

                “-I have it on Friday and Saturday,” Nichkhun lied fluently. “Sorry.”

                He expected to see hurt in her expression. He wanted her to tear a bit so he could grab her and hug her and laugh and tell her it was all a joke.

                But, instead, he saw flaring anger in her eyes. pouted and her eyes were narrowed. Then, she rolled her eyes and picked up her book again.

                “That’s fine,” Victoria shrugged. “It doesn’t really matter if you come or not.”

                “It didn’t really matter if you had come or not to my first concert, either. But I just didn’t want to tell you in case it hurt your feelings.” Nichkhun shot back.

                “Tch,” Victoria turned around, and faced the other direction. “That’s so typical.”

                “What’s typical?” Nichkhun shook her, pouting.

                “Nothing. I’ll just invite Onew.”

                Silence.

                “Fine, fine, I don’t care.” Nichkhun turned around and faced the wall. There was a lone space between the two of them and they silently fumed as they read their own books.

 -

                Victoria opened her eyes. Light still shone through their large window. She felt drowsy and sleepy. She must have fallen asleep. Victoria quickly peered at the alarm clock next to her. 50 minutes had only passed. She stretched and turned around, only to be face-to-face to a sleeping Nichkhun. Victoria yelped a bit and sprang back, but he didn’t wake up from his sleep. Victoria cautiously inched towards his face again, and admirably studied his beautiful facial features.

                But Victoria realized she was still mad at Nichkhun for not even coming to her first f(x) concert. She stuck her tongue out at Nichkhun’s sleeping face, and scrunched her eyes.

                “Stupid, stupid, Nichkhun idiot,” Victoria muttered to herself. Slowly, she slid out of the bed and was about to go out the door before Nichkhun suddenly grabbed her wrist.

                Victoria shrieked.

                “You were awake?”

                “f(x) concert, right? Of course, I’m going. You idiot. You actually believed me?” Nichkhun mumbled. His eyes slowly opened, and a cute smile appeared on his face,

                Victoria sighed, smiling. Holding Nichkhun’s hand with both hers, she crouched down. Resting her head on the bed, she put his warm hand against her cheek, as she stared at Nichkhun, lovingly.

                “It’s on Saturday,” Victoria reminded him, closing her eyes. “Don’t forget.”