Chapter 8

Like a fool, I smile when I see you

 

                Nichkhun couldn’t find Victoria, even though he asked tons of people. Finally giving up, he got out his phone and quickly texted her.

                Hey, can I come over?

                She didn’t respond, yet Nichkhun had the feeling she read it. Stuffing the phone back into his pocket, he left his other 2pm members and drove to the f(x) dorm. The weather was stormy and every moment, he could hear thunder.

                He knocked lightly and waited. Nothing happened. He knocked for a second time, a bit louder this time. Just as he was about to knock one more time, the door opened, and there was Amber there. Nichkhun gulped. Her eyes were narrowed and she looked annoyed.

                “Hello,” Nichkhun said, forcing a smile, and fidgeting. He was dying to go inside and talk to Victoria.

                “Hi,” Amber replied flatly. “Why are you here, Nichkhun?”

                “To talk to Victoria.”

                Amber continued to look at him. He blinked.

                “Fine, she’s in her room.”

                “Thanks,” Nichkhun slowly slid inside the dorm, silently taking off his sneakers before walking towards Victoria’s room.

-

                “Jason, don’t you love me?”

                “No, I don’t. I don’t love you.”

                “Why? Why don’t you love me? Is there something that you don’t like about me? I can change, you know. For you, I can change. Because I love you, right, Jason? I love you.”
                “Get off. Truthfully, there are so many things I hate about you that I even lost count. You’re annoying. You’re no fun. You’re boring. You’re not pretty. You’re-“

                “-Jason!”

                “You know what? I’m leaving. I honestly never had feelings for you. We’re over.”

                “Don’t go, Jason. I love you, I love you. I love you.”

                “Oh my god, you’re so clingy. Victoria, I don’t love you. I hate you. You’re annoying. I don’t love you. Get that into your brain and never come near me again. Don’t even try to contact me and never walk in front of my sight. Ever.”

-

                When Nichkhun walked inside Victoria’s room, he couldn’t find her at first. But then, he saw the top of her head. Walking, he saw Victoria on the floor, in the corner between her bed and her drawer. She was wrapped in her thick blanket and her face was hidden.

                “Hi,” Nichkhun said softly, startling her. She flicked her head up and found Nichkhun right in front of her. He sat down and he could see her slight movements. She was backing away from him. He tried to brush off a strand of hair that lay across her forehead, but the minute his fingers grazed her skin, she flinched, her eyes squeezing shut.

                “What’s wrong?” Nichkhun asked. “What happened?”

                “Nothing,” Victoria murmured.

                “Well, something is obviously wrong. Why are you so distant with me? What did I do wrong?” Nichkhun angrily said, his hands clenching into fists.

                “I said nothing!” Victoria’s voice got higher and her eyes flickered with something he couldn’t distinguish.

                “Is it because you saw me and Yoona talking? Is that it?”

                “No.”

                “Well, whatever it is, I’m sorry, okay? I’m sorry. Can you at least look at me properly?” Nichkhun said, frustrated.

                Victoria didn’t look at Nichkhun.

                “You know what, I’ve had it. This is going nowhere. I don’t even know why you’re mad at me.” Nichkhun got up to leave.

                Victoria grabbed onto the end of his jacket, clutching it.

                “Don’t go,” she whispered.

                Nichkhun felt frozen. She seemed different now. She sounded vulnerable and weak and lonely.

                “Don’t go, Jason. You said you loved me, didn’t you? So, don’t go.”

                Jason?