Chapter 11

Like a fool, I smile when I see you

 

Dear Diary,

                How lucky am I? Jason finally asked me out! I am so thrilled. I feel like the happiest woman on Earth! Oh, Diary, he is so handsome. And so sweet. I can’t wait to spend the rest of my life with him. There’s no better man for me than him.

 

Dear Diary,

                It is our one month anniversary! Jason and I went out to eat. I wanted to eat at a restaurant, but Jason felt like going to a Barbeque place. I don’t mind, though. Any place is wonderful with Jason. He also seemed a bit quiet today. But, it’s probably because he’s tired. He works hard, Diary. If only you knew.

 

Dear Diary,

                Jason hit me today. But I said it was okay, that I was fine. It’s okay that he slapped me. He’s been having a hard time nowadays, and if Jason wanted to relieve some of his anger and frustration on me, then it’s okay. I can handle it. If he can’t, then that’s a big problem for me. I want Jason to be happy.

 

Dear Diary,

                Jason came home drunk today. He kept on muttering a name. Amber, Amber he said. I’m sure that he’s thinking of me. Amber and Victoria sound similar, doesn’t it? Anyways, he was thrashing all over the place on the bed, so I went to sleep on the sofa. I must have been in his way while sleeping. It’s okay, though. The sofa’s plenty comfy and if he sleeps well, I sleep well.

 

Dear Diary,

                There is a party that a friend of mine is hosting. A big party, she told me. You can invite another person, she said. I immediately asked Jason and he was interested. So we’re going together, and my heart’s bursting with joy. I went shopping today with him, and I saw a couple with a little baby. I hinted to him that we could be like that in a couple of years. He stayed quiet the whole day, but it’s probably because he was thinking about it. I love him, diary.

 

Dear Diary,

                Why did he do that? Why? Doesn’t he love me? I love him, why can’t he see that? I wanted to scream at Jason when I saw him. Why are you holding her like that? Why are you looking at her like that? Why are you kissing her like that? Can’t you see I’m watching? Can’t you see I’m hurting? I had so many questions I wanted to hurl at him. But I couldn’t. I still love him. I don’t know why. I don’t want him to leave me.

 

Dear Diary,

                Jason finally called me! I was so happy. When I answered, he told me he was coming to visit. I quickly cleaned up the house and I’m patiently waiting for him to come. I wonder what he’s going to say? He’s probably coming over to apologize for his behavior. So excited, Diary!

 

Dear Diary,

                Am I annoying? Am I not pretty? Am I clingy? Well, if Jason said that, I must be. He’s always right. He yelled at me, Diary. He showed me so much negativity that I wanted to die. He told me to stay away from him. He told me not to contact him ever again. He wants nothing to do with me anymore. I’m hurting so much, Diary. How did our perfect relationship end up like this? What happened?

 

Dear Diary,

                Today, I heard that Jason was died. He was in a car accident. I broke down crying, Diary. My friends tried to tell me that it was due to drunk driving. I tried to believe them, because Jason was always careless. But, I can’t help but think that I was my fault. What did he do to deserve me? He was too good for me, but I was blind. I never realized it. He never loved me. Not as much as I loved him. I am haunted, Diary. I feel so haunted from the past. The past that he and I shared.