Is It Okay?

Empty

 

Kai’s P.O.V

I somehow found my way back home even though my mind is still full of confusion and uncertainty. I stand in front of my house door and shake the thought of Mina out of my head. The winter wind blew my hair to the side and made me shiver. I punch in the pin numbers to unlock my front door and it makes a beeping sound once it unlocks. I push the door open and I’m greeted with the pitch black, empty hallway. My house has always felt hollow and cold ever since father left. It used to be full of warmth and felt like an actual home but now it feels like a place where I just sleep and eat. I take off my shoes and walk into the hallway. The close I walk to the kitchen, the stronger the aroma of alcohol got. It was normal. My mum drinks nearly every night with sad music playing in the background. I hate see her like that and so I stay out late roaming around the busy city at night or spend time in the dance studio at school. This is the world I live in and I hate it but I have to keep on going for my mum and myself. The day my father left me was when I had to grow up and my childhood was taken away just like that. It was over.  People think I'm arrogant and assume that I live a perfect life just because I come from a rich background and have a handsome face. Well they’re all wrong. 

 

The kitchen counter had a few empty wine bottles lying around and the only sound I can hear is of the tap dripping. I walk into my mum’s bedroom and I see her in bed fast asleep, with the lamp still on. I crack a smile on my face even though I hate it when she drinks, when I see her sleeping so peacefully it makes me smile. I went up to the side of the bed and pull the blankets up to cover her shoulders and turn the light off. 

 

 

 

I head downstairs to the basement where the dance studio is. My dad designed this house and when he was designing it he made a dance studio for just for me. He knew that dance was important to me. I turn the lights on and the place is a little dusty since I haven’t used it in a while. It still looks modern even though it was made 13 years ago. The floor was a bit bouncy and there’s a stereo at the corner of the dance studio. I plugged in my walkman and pressed play. 

I danced to the beat of the song and got the feel of the song slowly. I put my heart and soul into every move. I don’t think of anything else when I dance, it’s just me and the music. I want to dance until I could no longer stand. That way I’ll be able to clear my mind and stress. 

After 2 hours of dancing I feel shattered and lay on my back in the middle of the floor. I stared at the ceiling and my mind was blank just like the ceiling. The silence was calming and I can hear my own heartbeat and breathing. I could feel my eyes slowly closing and I soon drifted off in a deep sleep. 

 

 

 

 

 

Your P.O.V

 

The morning school bells rang and I was late for first lesson which is maths. I run through the hallway and up the stairs as fast as I could. My alarm in the morning didn't go off and I was still so sleepy because I couldn't sleep during the night. I spent the night wondering if someone had been dreaming about me because legends say that if you can’t sleep at night it’s because you’re awake in someone else’s dream. In the end fell asleep so I didn't believe it. I got rid of that thought in my head and rushed into my class room as soon as I opened the door everyone turned around to look. I closed the door slowly and headed to my seat quietly. My teacher isn't so strict about students being late so I'm lucky that I didn't get detention. Phew that was awkward...I'm glad I didn't get in trouble. I got my notebook and pencil case out on my desk and put my bag down next to me. 

The time went by slowly and the numbers on the board made no sense to me. I think everyone is in the same boat, they all look confused and sleepy. It was one of those days where everyone wanted to go home and sleep. The teacher noticed this and whacked the chalkboard with a stick. I jumped in my seat and my heart skipped a beat. “EVERYONE WAKE UP YOU STILL HAVE A LONG WAY TO GO!” The teacher shouted at the top of her lungs and smiled when she saw us jump up in shock. “That’s more like it” She said with a satisfied smirk on her face.

 

 

The next hour passed slowly but maths is finally over. I picked up my bag from the floor and headed to my next lesson. I got out my music sheets and checked if my notes are all right and walked through the hallway while I analyse my work so far. As usual the hallway is busy with people talking, shouting and pushing through. I adjusted to the environment already so I walk through the hallway without any hassle. Once I was pleased with my piece for my piano class, I put the music sheets back in my bag and fasten my pace to my class. I entered the music room and took a seat near the front. Today was rehearsal day for the performance we're going to do and I force myself to be calm even though my heart is beating crazily. I'm nervous. The performance is going to be on Friday and I only have 2 days left to perfect my performance. I feel unprepared but I will practice hard to and do my best. The teacher came in and stands in front or the class with a face I can't read. Once everyone was settled, he put on his glasses and read the register. A few people are missing which I found unusual because it's rehearsal day today which is important. I shrug it off continue to check my music sheets again just to make sure that I got everything right. I love playing the piano and I'm grateful that I know how to play an instrument that is complex but at times I want more than this. I want to sing. I get a different feeling when I sing I give my all when I do but whenever I play the piano I know that this isn't what I actually want to do. It hurts me when my parents can't see that I'm not happy with my life right now. I wish that they could give me space and time and let me do what makes me happy the most. 

 

"Alright class we'll all head to the hall, where you'll be performing at on Friday. Don't be nervous this is just a rehearsal and do your best." My teacher said with a bit of excitement in his voice. We all head to the hall leaving our bags in the classroom and take just our music sheets with us. This performance was for the end of term and after that there's a 2 week holiday. We all went back stage and the teacher told us that we'll be going onto stage in register order. It means that I'll be near the end. Oh no. I fiddled with my fingers and got more and more nervous the more I waited for each performance to end. Other people's songs sound so amazing and professional that it makes feel a bit uncertain and insecure about my piece. I didn't want to get up on the stage and fail at everything. 

 

Soon it's going to be my turn to perform and my hands are shaking uncontrollably. I have done performances before in the past when I was younger but back then I didn't feel so nervous. It seems like the older I got the more I realised how judging and cruel people can be and it made me shrink back into my shell.  I don't want to be like this. I took deep breaths and tried to focus on something to calm me down. Nothing seems to work so I just fiddle with my fingers even more. I feel like I'm trapped and there was no escape. 

 

It's my turn now.

 

I went up the steps and the hall is now dark and there's a spotlight on the piano. I'm now on my own and only I, myself, have to stop myself from crumbling into pieces. This is only a rehearsal stop being so nervous....I'll be okay. I looked into the audience and saw the people who performed before me sitting in the seats. I froze up when I saw all of them and their eyes are on me, watching my every move. I walk slowly to the piano and take a seat. I place my music sheets on the piano and sit up right. I take a deep breath and place my fingers on the keys. 

 

 

 

I tried to play with passion but the mood of the song didn't suit me and I couldn't play to the best of my ability. I want to move people with my piece. I couldn't because I was too nervous and my mind was a mess. "STOP STOP STOP" my teacher shouted and I stopped what I was playing and I froze. I tried to stay calm and faced my teacher, people are whispering now and I knew that they're ridiculing me. "Mina it's a great song and everything but please can you try and put some more passion into it. The audience needs to believe in what you're playing and know the way you're feeling. You need to move them with your song. Try again." he said it in a firm but gentle tone. I turn back to face the piano and tried again. This time I tried to convey my emotions and some passion but I still feel like I couldn't give my all. I stopped halfway and sat still on the seat. I- I can't do it, this isn't meant for me. Everything this song, this school, Chanyeol and....Kai...they're not meant for me I don't fit in, I'm too different it's like I'm meant to be alone and isolate from the world and everyone else. I'm not meant to be here. "...urh okay Mina you can take a seat now" My teacher said and called out the next person. I walk down the steps carefully and take a seat near the back of the hall. I can feel the eyes of people on me and the whispers and the giggling makes me feel like I'm going to go insane. I can't take it any longer. Once everyone faced front to focus on the next performer, I got up from my seat quietly and left the hall. 

 

I go back to the music room and get my bag. I sling it over my shoulder and take out my hair. I run through the hallway and downstairs. I feel my heart beating fast and the adrenaline rush through my whole body. I want to get out of here fast. I throw my bag over the gate and it lands on the other side with a thud. I look around to see is anyone was nearby but no one is so I quickly but one foot in the gap in the gate that's locked and grab the bars at the top. I pull myself up with all my strength and just when I was about to get over I hear someone shout "hey you what do you think you're doing?!" My eyes open wide and I turn around to look to see who it is and I panic when I see a teacher coming my way. I rush to get over and my shoe gets caught and I lose my balance and grip. I hit the floor with a loud thud and I cry out in pain. The teacher runs towards me and bends down to my level.

 

"You are in big trouble young lady! What do you think you were doing?" She has a frown on her face and looks at me in the eyes. I wince at her trying to pull me up-my left shoulder is injured.  OWW that hurts...omg what if I'm not able to do my performance on Friday. Oh no that can't happen. "Are you hurt somewhere?" She asked with a hint of irritation in her voice and I just nod because she's scary. Her face was pale and she has her jet black hair in a ponytail. All of her clothes are black as well and she has square glasses on.

 

"You're quite scary" it took me a moment to realise that I said that out loud. I panicked a bit on the inside and hoped that she's not angry about what I said. Oh no did I really just say that. She looks at me for a while but then all of the sudden chuckles a bit. 


"Everyone says that, don't worry I'm used to it no need to panic." How did she know that I panicked a bit? "It's written all over your face that you panicked after you said that. Anyway I should get you to the medical room since you've hurt yourself." She smiles at me and I'm even more scared now because it's like she can read my mind...she must be some sort of witch or something because she's wearing black clothes and can read my mind. I nod again and she pulls me up. We walked to the medical room in silence.

 

 

 

Kai's P.O.V. 

 

I look out from the 3rd floor window and see this girl running towards the gates. "I wonder what she's doing, school isn't even over yet and why does she look familiar?" I said quietly to myself and carried on watching her. She looked around frantically like she was in a hurry to get out of this prison. Once it was all clear she through her bag over the gates and climbed up the gates. "O but there's a teacher behind her now..." I watched as it got more interesting and soon she noticed the teacher and it looked like she was in a panic. The girl lost her balance and fell to the floor and her escape mission failed. "AHAHAHAHA! LOOK AT HER SHE'S SO DUMB. OH WHAT AN IDIOT, YEAH GRAT JOB YOU DID THERE." I carry on laughing and slowly came to a realisation that the whole class in now silent and is now looking at me. I put on a poker face and apologise while bowing my head down to the teacher, but mentally I was still laughing. The teacher gives me a frown and carries on with the lesson while I sit at the back struggling to hold in my laughter. My throat hurt since I accidentally went to sleep on the floor of the dance studio and my head feels like its getting hit against a concrete wall. I definitely need some rest after school. 

 

 

Your P.O.V 

 

The teacher stayed in the room with me for a while and we talked about random things here and there. She's not that bad and scary as I thought she would be. She left a few minutes ago and told me to go to the next lesson and try to participate as much as I can and also scolded me for doing such a stupid thing. It's weird because I've never seen her in this school even though I've been here for nearly 2 months now. It's like she came out of nowhere. 

 

The nurse was done with putting a bandaid on my cheek, I scraped a bit of my face when I fell to the ground. I hope it doesn't leave a scar...otherwise umma will be angry. I got up from the bed and got my bag from the floor. The teacher who helped me got my bag back while I my shoulder was cooled down with an ice pack. I limp out of the medical room and head to the dance studio. My waist got injured in the fall too. Just another unlucky day. How will I walk all the way home now that I can't even walk a few steps without it hurting. I finally get to the dance studio after 10 minutes of hobbling through the hallway; people are still in their lessons so the hallway is empty. I open the door and enter the dance studio and see my teacher sitting on the floor with headphones in. She looks up and takes out her headphones. 

 

"Oh Mina why are you here so early? Lesson starts in 10 minutes" She got up and walked towards me. 

 

"Ah sorry miss but I injured myself earlier on so I won't be able to do the lesson today." I said a bit embarrassed about how stupid I was earlier on. 

 

"Oh no then just take a seat at the back for today then and just watch but how did you injured yourself?" she asked with wide eyes curious to find out what had happened to make me like this. 

 

"O it's a long story miss and I'm a bit embarrassed." I look down at the floor and avoid eye contact. It's too embarrassing. 

 

"Aha okay then just go and sit at the back then aigoo" She said and went back to the spot she was first sitting at. I walk to the back and sit down on the bench. It's cold inside the studio like always but today it feels colder since I'm sitting still and not moving about which makes me forget about the coldness of the room. I lean back against the wall and let my head wonder off into my own little world. 

 

 

10 minutes later

 

The studio is now beginning to fill up with students but there is one person who is still not here. Hm maybe he's not in today...what if something happened to him...wait why do I even care? It's not like we're friends or anything... The class is now settled and Kai is still not here...where is he.

Just when I thought he wasn't going to come he came bursting through the door. "Sorry I'm late" He said flatly and sat down on the floor with the rest of the class. He looks around like he's looking for someone. Maybe he's looking for me? Or maybe I'm just over thinking things. I continue to watch the back of Kai and he soon gives up looking around the class for someone. 

 

"Right now class today we are going to get ready to be spontaneous and creative. You will be working with your partners to create a short dance routine in any style of dance you want. You will be presenting this at the end of class and I have some good news to tell you guys at the end, but for now please go to your partners and think of an idea. I will start the music in 10 minutes. Ready, set, GO!" Everyone went to their partners and Kai was left alone looking a bit awkward. He turns around finally and we meet eyes. Kai walks towards me slowly and his face looks confused and lost. 

 

"Mina why are you sitting here? What happened to your face?" Kai said with a worried face. I think I just died from what he just asked. This is Kai the Jerk we're talking about here. Why does he sound so worried? 

 

But before I could answer his question Miss shouts out "Kai go with these two and work in a three, since Mina isn't well today!" He looks at me then turns around and nods his head. I look up and see him walking away and turns around once again before joining the other two. My heart fluttered when he made eye contact with me with those gentle but sad eyes. I don't know why I'm like this. Why does my heart flutter? Why am I getting so attached to Kai? Why does he make me feel so frustrated and annoyed but I can’t stay mad at him in the end? I have all these questions in my head and I don't know how I'm supposed to feel.  

 

 

 

The music starts to play and everyone’s already starting with their dance routine and seems to know what they’re doing. I stare at Kai dancing to the music. The way he moves his body with the music is smooth and precise. My eyes are stuck on him only. Everything around me disappeared and I can only see Kai. Why is this happening? I can’t fall for you. No. You already have Hana and she’s your girlfriend and I’m no one to you...I must stay from you otherwise it’ll get worse and I’ll just get hurt in the end. Kai isn’t meant for people like me and people like me aren’t meant for Kai.

 

I walk out the dance studio even though lesson ends in 5 minutes and the groups are still performing their dance routines to the rest of the class. I look back before exiting the room and see Kai focused on the group performing. I smile and leave to go to the last lesson.  Today feels like it’s going slowly and each second feels like an hour and a minute feels like a day. I walk through the hallway with my mind full of questions and what ifs. My shoes make small clicking sound as I on the concrete floor. I arrive at the science class room door and wait outside for the class inside to leave. The bell rings just in time and the students inside come flooding out. I walk inside and take a seat at the back.

 

 

 

 

 

School is over now and I walk outside towards the gate. The zip up my jacket and wrap my scarf around my neck. It’s so cold. I’m sure it will snow soon. The leaves on the trees are now gone and the grass is a bit frosty. I like winter the most since I get to wear cosy clothes. December is probably my favourite month because of Christmas and my birthday is on the 28th. Oh I’ll be 19 soon. Wow time goes by quickly if I think about it just the other day I was 10. Arh I miss my childhood. I continue walking to the gates and everyone around me seems to be in a hurry to get home, I don’t know why though. There are groups of girls and boys outside the gates waiting for their friends while chatting and laughing amongst each other. I feel a bit uncomfortable whenever there’s a group of people, so I hurried out the gates while limping. I bump into someone while I walk away from school. I look up and see Kai staring at me with a serious but almost sad face.

 

“Mina are you okay? What happened to you?” Kai said while looking at me with dull eyes. My heart flutters when he said my name and looked at me with those eyes.

 

“I’m fine why do you keep asking me? It’s not like you care about me...and I’d rather not say what happened. Anyway I’ve got to get home bye.” I try to hide my red cheeks by looking down and limping away as fast as I can. I stop in my tracks when I feel Kai’s hand on my wrist.

 

“Wait let me take you home. You can’t walk in this state.” Kai said and comes in front of me and bends down. “I’ll give you a piggyback.” He sounds a bit nervous but he still manages to look cool. My heart is now out of control and I try to catch up with what he just said. I remember about the time he was kissing Hana at the stairway and how he eats lunch with her and went to the cinema with her. I can’t get attached to Kai. Why is he doing this he doesn’t even like me. I continue walking without answering Kai but he stops me again.

 

“Just get on. I will take you home.” He said in a firm but gentle voice. Should I just let this slide once and get on. It’s not like I’m taking him away from Hana I guess.

 

“O-okay I’ll get on just, don’t do anything weird.” I feel Kai’s eyes on me but I ignore it and get on his back. It’s so warm. I feel my face getting hotter when I think of how close my face is to his. He smells the same as the scent that was on his scarf. I don’t know what it is but it’s a comforting smell.

 

Kai’s P.O.V

I walk slowly with Mina on my back. She’s heavier than I thought she would be but I don’t mind. As long as she’s next to me I’m happy. She rests her chin on my shoulder and her arms are around my neck.

 

“Why are you so heavy?” I chuckle after Mina just flicks my forehead and wraps her arms around my neck tighter on purpose. I feel my heart beating like it never has before. I want this to last forever so I walk slowly. The wind blows against my warm face and makes me shiver a bit. Even though it’s cold outside my insides feel warm and happy.

 

Your P.O.V

 

I wrap my arms tighter around Kai’s neck on purpose since he said that I’m heavy. I let myself get a bit more comfortable on his back and lean my head against his shoulder.  Soon I feel my eyes getting heavier and I eventually close my eyes. I drift off into a deep sleep.

 

15miutes later

 

Kai’s P.O.V

 

“Mina are you sleeping?” I turn my head around a bit and I realise that my face is so close to Mina’s face. I stop in my tracks and stare at her sleeping face. She’s even more beautiful up close. I don’t think I can stop myself from liking you now. I’m in too deep. I can’t come out. I want to place my hand on her cheek but I can’t. I smile and turn around to carry on walking. A few minutes later I’m in front of her house and it’s now dark outside. I try to wake her up but I hear her mumbling something in her sleep so I stay still to listen.

 

Mina mumbles into my back “Kai is it okay if I like you...murh adfghn” and the rest of what she said is a mystery but I did hear one thing clearly. I feel my heart race out of control and what she said repeats in my head. Did I just hear that right?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

*********************************************

Hey you guys hope you enjoyed this chapter~

Tell me what you think in the comments please~

Thank you! ^___^