The Rooftop

Empty

 

Monday came sooner than I thought it would and I'm dreading to go to school. I look at my reflection in the mirror and all I see is my panda eyes with my messy hair. The house is empty and quiet which is not like usual but my parents both have to go on a business trip for just 3 days. I step out the bathroom and pick up my bag off the floor. The floorboards creek as I walk towards the stairs. I sigh knowing that I will have dance today, which one means one thing and that's meeting Kai. The hug from Kai the other day comes into my mind and I blush uncontrollably, putting both of my hands on my cheek. Why did he just hug me like that I I don't understand I thought he hated me? It must be a joke since he is an arrogant jerk...I won't let myself fall for his tricks so easily. I realise that I'm still standing at the middle of the stairs and shake my head to get out of my fantasy world. I look around the house just to make sure that everything is in perfect state, just the way my parents have left it. The house is starting to take shape and feels more like a home but I don't think I'll ever be able to adjust to the environment of Seoul. I walk to the entrance of the house and look through the shoe rack right next to the front door, trying to decide which shoe to wear. I pick up my grey converses that lay on the rack lifelessly and dull just like how it is outside. I feel the cold morning breeze on my face as soon as I open the door. I close the door and search through my bag looking for my keys but they are nowhere to be seen. I remember that I dropped them on the floor when Kai hugged me in front of the house. I quickly went to search for the keys and yet again they were nowhere to be seen. Great now I'm officially locked out of my own house. How am I going to get back in if both my parents are off on a business trip and I have no friends to stay over with. Today is already starting out badly; I bet it will only get worse when I have to meet Kai. 

 

 

 

I’m now in piano class writing down the next homework which is due in two weeks time. The school now is no longer new to me and I’m no longer new among the rest of students. I look back on my first day of school and remember how nervous I was. Haha I was ridiculously nervous back then now everything seems normal. I look back up and now everyone in class is off to the practise rooms in the hallway outside. I quickly got my bag and went outside to get to my practise room which is right at the end of the dark hallway. The school was always silent despite the fact that it was a performing arts school; I guess the walls are supper sound proof. I walk into the freezing cold practise room and put my bag down on the carpet floor. Even though the windows and heater is on the room was still cold. This was the practise room which all of the students would desperately avoid because this room is the worst one out of the rest. I look around the old dusty room and sigh in disappointment. I rub my hands together to keep them warm and sit down on the chair in front of the worn out piano.

  

It’s now half way through the time and I’m stuck on how to carry on the song that me and my granddad made up a few years ago. We were going to finish it but we didn’t get the chance to. My granddad was once a pianist back when he was younger but he never got to become famous from it and so I think that’s why my parents push me to be one. My parents would be so strict on me when I was younger that I never really got to be a proper kid that just plays outside and enjoys the freedom that any other child got to had. I remember how my granddad would never force me to practise the piano and said “be who you want to be and follow your own dreams. You can achieve anything if you believe in it.” He never once said that he wanted me to become a pianist but instead let me be the child like every other child in the world - free and innocent. That’s why I loved it when every summer I would go to my grandparent’s house and my parents would be somewhere else enjoying their holiday.  The lesson is nearly over but I’m still stuck on the same part of the song. There’s scraps of paper on the floor which I had scribbled notes on how the song should go next. I feel like I’ll never be able to move onto the next part of the song just like how I’d never be able to get over the pass and I’ll be forever stuck on this chapter of my life. I scrunch up the paper in my hand and throw it in the bin next to the piano. I pick up the rest of the papers on the floor and then sling my backpack over my shoulder. 

 

 

The first few lessons went by slower than usual and the whole school had this dead atmosphere with long faced students. The lunch bell rings and the school is so silent and empty that I can hear the echoes. I packed up my things and got up my chair that screeched against the worn out floor. I headed out the classroom and saw Chanyeol walking to the lunch hall where he waits at the same table each school day. I try to catch up with all my textbooks in my hand. Even though the hallway is emptier than usual, I still struggled to catch up with him and drop all my books when I bumped into someone. 

 

 

"Ah sorry that was my fault." I said to the person I bumped into and the person just stared at my face with a blank expression and continued on walking. I pout since the person didn't even care and looked like he didn't know what was going on. I bend down to pick up all of my textbooks, I push back a strand of hair that is getting in the way. I was about pick up the last book when I see another hand slowly reaching out to pick it up and handed the book to me. I take the book and stand up to face the person that helped me. I look up to thank the person but I'm surprised when I see that it's Kai standing in front of me with a smile on his face I've never seen on him before. The smile was genuine and his eyes were brighter than normal. I stood there frozen not knowing what to do or say to him. "Thanks" I said and quickly walked away from him before he could say anything back to me. My face was getting warmer and my heart fluttered when I saw Kai's smile in my head again. I entre the lunch hall and look to where Chanyeol is. I walk to the table quickly and sit down on the seat in front of him so quietly that he doesn't notice me for a while. "Chanyeol" I call out him name firmly to make my presence known. He jumps a bit and puts his hand on his chest.

 

"Whoa Mina you nearly gave me a heart attack! Don't do that." Chanyeol said in an frustrated yet amused voice. He looks up at my face and notices that it's bright red. "Mina why is your face so red?! Are you feeling okay?!" He asked with a worried look on his face. I cover my face with my hands not wanting anyone else to see, especially Kai. 

"Is it that red?" I sigh and try to fan my own face. I look around the lunch hall to see where Kai is. He's sitting with Hana and talking with her. I feel my heart ache a bit when I see the two of them looking so happy together.

 

 

 

 

Next lesson is dance and I’m dreading to see Kai after what happened on the weekend. My cheeks go red by even thinking about how he hugged me and the way he smelt and everything about him was just...perfect. I shake my head getting rid of that thought and make my head to the changing rooms. The lesson started off with miss talking as usual and then with a few warm ups. I think I’m starting to like dance but at the same time I’m nervous and scared because I’m worried that people are judging me while I dance awkwardly. I turn around when I feel someone tap on shoulder. I see Kai standing there with a blank face and I look at him with a surprised face.  The teacher shouts at the top of her lungs “Okay you guys get ready to freestyle with your partners!” I widen my eyes and turn around to face the teacher and all of the sudden music starts playing. I turn back around to Kai and he’s already dancing without me. I just stand there not knowing what to do with myself and I look around the room to see that the whole class is dancing except for me. Oh my god what do I do I I don’t know how to dance but I can’t just stand here doing nothing. I hope this ends soon, I don’t get in trouble.

 

The music suddenly stops and everyone stops dancing with their partners. Miss looks very disappointed and is shaking her head while her hand is on her forehead. I feel a bit guilty and stand still in my spot.

 

“I think we all need to go back to basics of dance because I don’t feel the passion and emotion when you guys are dancing. BUT! I do think there is ONE student who is very talented and passionate about dance...Kai could you come up to the front please and freestyle.” Miss said in a very firm voice and I look back at Kai who’s now standing there with a smirk on his face. I puff out air annoyed at how he smirks at nearly everything. Kai walks to the front of the class and waits for the music to come on. The music starts and Kai listens to the beat and rhythm first. Then he starts to dance making it look so easy and natural. I stare at him and every move he makes with my heart fluttering each time I can really see his emotion and passion. It feels like time slowed down and I feel the how I felt the same day when I caught him dancing in the studio by himself. The music stopped and everyone was silent for a bit by surprise then started clapping excitedly. I start to clap along as well and realise what I was doing and stopped. Ah what am I doing, I shouldn’t be clapping for Kai he’s a a jerk haha why should I clap for him...

 

 

The last lesson is science and some of the students look tired and bored. I wish I could just go home now and go on my laptop...but I can't even do that since I'm locked out of my house! The displays on the classroom walls are all unorganised and have lots of messy posters on them. I walk towards my seat and put my bag down next to my desk. A gushed of cold wind came into the classroom, the windows where all wide open. Why are the windows open during these cold winter months? I should close them it’s so cold in here. I closed all the windows quickly and I was about to go back to my seat when something outside caught the corner of my eye. I noticed Chanyeol and a girl that I’ve never seen before walking together. Oh so Chanyeol does have over friends, he’s always so mysterious and seems like he doesn’t have any other friends but I guess he does. I look further down the school and see Kai with Hana clinging onto his arm walking together towards this building. Aha I guess they really are in a serious relationship together... I went back to my seat and sat down roughly on the wooden chair out of frustration after seeing Kai and Hana together. The class is now nearly full and the teacher is now waiting for everyone to settle down.

 

get out my pencil case and book from my backpack while thee teacher is taking the register. 20 minutes have pasted and I still don’t get anything the teacher is saying. I doodle in my book of things that going on in my head and the page is getting full of different drawings and quotes. Science is my weakest subject in school and every time I get a bad grade my parents get angry, when they now I’m not good at it. I shake my head and keep on doodling in my book that has a few notes only. 

 

 

 

 

*RING RING* the final bell rings and everyone in the class gets up in a rush to go home or whatever they do after school. I get up slowly knowing that I’ll have to hide in school until everyone is gone and find a place to sleep. The class room was now quiet with only the sound of the clock ticking filling the room and the empty chairs stayed still, lifelessly. I walked out into the hallway and went into the nearest toilets to hide in for a while. There is someone girls from my dance class talking and fixing their makeup. As soon as they notice me they stop what they’re doing and give me glares that are full of hate and anger. I quickly walk into a stall and sit down on the toilet with the lid closed. A few minutes past and they’re still here gossiping and saying spiteful things about other people. I sit as still as I can and pray that they’ll leave soon to leave me in peace.

 

“Urh that new Mina girl needs to stop being delusional and understand that she’ll never be able to get a guy like Kai. Ahahaha..” one of the girls said loud enough for me to hear.
 

“Ahaha I know right...now that I look at it she’s kind of pitiful and lame. She has no friends making her a total creepy loner.” I hear another one of the girls say and I stay as quiet as I can and pretend that they’re talking about someone else.

“Yeah she’s a total creeper who just wishes to be popular like us to get attention from Kai. What a loser haha I can’t believe that she has the nerve to be Kai’s partner.” The third girl said with a mocking voice and I take in all of the bitter words the girls said and try to ignore it. But I can feel it forming a new scar inside me, making me bitterer than yesterday, than last week, than last few years of suffering.

 

The girls walk out the toilet, laughing their heads off and the sound of their high heels clicking on the tiled white floor. I sigh in relief and take off my heavy backpack from my aching shoulders. Just like my shoulders I can feel my heart ache and just like the backpack I can feel my chest getting heavy as a cloud of sadness comes over me. I feel empty and lonely just like how the toilet is right now. I can hear one of the taps dripping tears and soon I can feel a tear dripping from my eye just like the tap. I wipe it away and try to calm down but it isn’t working. I take out my walkman and put in my white headphones. I play one of playlist that I listen to when I’m sad and even though it’s full of happy songs I still feel the aching in my heart.

 

 

 

 

 

 

*2 hours later*

The school is dark but the light from moon is enough for me to see roughly were things are and I have my phone with me. I walk down the corridor looking around to see if there is a place to sleep. Ah this is hard where should I sleep...the dance room?..no it’s too big I’ll feel uncomfortable...hm what about the medical room?! That’s it I’ll sleep there for tonight and wake up in the morning and get out of the room before the nurse catches me. I go up the stairs to get to the medical room and get scared halfway through; I make a run for it and rush into the medical room. I close the door behind me and turn on the light. The room has a bed and blankets for me to be able to sleep comfortable. I walk towards the bed and put my bag down on the bed. I sit next to it and sigh out feeling relieved.

“Thank god now I can go to sleep and just set an alarm so that I make sure to wake up early in the morning to avoid an embarrassing situation with one of the nurse.” I take out my phone and try to set an alarm but the screen goes blank. I widen my eyes in shock and realise that my battery has run out. “Damn it I shouldn’t have used it as a torch now the battery is dead.  What am I going to do now?!” I frowned and tried to think of a solution. “That’s it I can’t sleep here tonight I’ll have to find somewhere else. I got up quickly and grabbed my bag from the bed. I was about to walk out the room when I got an idea. “Ah I know I should at least take a few blankets and a pillow to be able to sleep properly.” I took a few and checked the drawers to check if there were any other supplies I needed for the next three days. I opened one of the drawers next to the sink and found brand new tooth brushes and a toothpaste. My eyes gleamed in happiness and I took a pink toothbrush along with the toothpaste.

Now that I have everything I need, I go around the school and loose hope when nowhere seems like a place I can sleep in. I checked every floor but was back to the top floor again. I sat on the stairway to the rooftop and leaned back on the railings of the stairs. After resting for a few minutes I got up with all my thing in my hand an d went up the stairs to the rooftop just in case to see if there’s a storage room on the roof. The stairs are dusty and looks neglected. I finally get to the top and see a metal door to the rooftop. I walk towards the door and see that it’s unlocked. I place my hand on the cold bar on the door and push it open. A gush of cold wind pushes me back a bit, I shiver and head outside in the cold. The door slams shut behind me and I jump a bit in the spot I’m standing in.

I look around the roof and see a little shed like room at the middle of the big roof. I quickly run to it and notice that it’s a place for someone to live in. I walk around it and inspect it before I go inside. I open the door of the little shed and take a step inside. To my amazement it’s like someone has been living here, there’s a little kitchen, bed and tv. I close the door and take a look around. I hope no one is still living here anymore. Who would have lived here and why would anyone live here? I put my bag down and lock the door to make sure no comes in. I turn on the light and the whole place lights up. The shed or house whatever you want to call it is clean and tidy. Go to another door at the end of the room and open it. There’s a toilet, shower and sink. It’s small but it will do for the next three days.

 

 

I take off my uniform and change into my dance clothes. I turn off the light and get into bed. I hear a growl from my stomach but ignore it and drift off to sleep.

 

 

 

 

 

***********************************************************

Hi guys! I finally finished this chapter omg I took so long haha sorry~

^__^ hope you enjoyed!

Oh and this is what the shed on the roof looks like the roof is bigger but yeah