Chapter 7

You're Not the TOP of My World

                Sanghee opened her eyes and lifted the pillow up and saw Jaejin smiling at her. “Is it time to go already?” Jaejin nodded. She sat up and looked around sleepily. Hongki and Jaejin were acting like usual. She assumed she really had just dreamed what happened. She suddenly realized that she hadn’t called her dad yet. She grabbed her phone and saw that she had a picture message from Jaejin.

                She raised her eyebrow at Jaejin as she opened it. Her eyes shot open as she saw the picture of her asleep between Hongki and Seunghyun. She looked at him in shock. He stood up and raised his hands up. “I just took the picture. Hongki sent it to you guys.” Sanghee blushed as Seunghyun came back into the room, brushing his teeth. He smiled at her and grabbed a shirt and went back to the bathroom. Hongki came in all dressed for the concert “You got to get ready!”

                Sanghee smiled awkwardly. “Actually, I will come on my own. I got to take a shower first. You guys go ahead.” Jaejin put his hands behind his head and nodded and walked out of the bedroom. Hongki pouted a bit “Don’t be too late! We need you there.” She smiled and nodded as he left the room yelling for Seunghyun to hurry up.

The boys all left and she sighed and looked at the picture, smiling. She decided that if they weren’t going to act any different after that, then neither would she. It was really comfortable falling asleep next to someone. She called her dad and he didn’t answer, so she left a message. She dug through her suitcase and decided that she would wear the same outfit that she wore to the other concert. She grabbed the black belted pants, yellow plaid tank top and black shirt with the yellow paper plane on it and went to take a quick shower.

She hurriedly finished her hair and slid her shoes on and ran to the bar that the concert was at. She got there and they were already playing. Sanghee went up to the bar owner who was behind the counter. “Ahjumma, how late am I?” The bar ahjumma looked at her and suddenly hugged her. “Sanghee! You are back from America! They just started their first song, so you aren’t late. Those boys missed you.” She smiled at the older woman and laughed “Yeah, I just got back today. I’m staying with Seunghyun and Hongki.”

The ahjumma was shocked. “You should have your own place! There’s an apartment available in my building.” Sanghee laughed “Ahjumma, I don’t have a job or money yet.” The ahjumma thought for a moment. “I know! You are here most of the time so why don’t you work here? You won’t miss any of their shows and you can even get paid while watching them.” Sanghee bowed “Thank you! I really appreciate this! I won’t let you down!”

The ahjumma smiled at her. “Your regular table is still available.” Sanghee bowed and thanked her again and quickly went to the table in front of Seunghyun and started cheering for them. She really felt like she was at home now. The band noticed that she was there and Jonghun winked at her. Suddenly they seemed livelier on stage. The cheering got louder. 

After they finished their set they went backstage like usual. Sanghee opened the door to the room and Jonghun and Minhwan were staring at her as Jaejin was smiling. Hongki and Seunghyun ran up to her and complimented her outfit. Jonghun scoffed “Don’t you two think that you touched her enough today?” Everyone laughed. Sanghee smiled at him “You saw the picture?” Jonghun nodded with a grumpy look on his face.

The ahjumma came in and handed him the envelope with their earnings. “Sanghee, did you tell them yet?” Sanghee shook her head. Seunghyun leaned on the ahjummas shoulder as Hongki leaned on Sanghee. “Tell us what?” The older woman smiled. “I just gave her a job here. I also will help her to get into the empty apartment in my building.” Jonghun perked up and Seunghyun and Hongki looked kind of disappointed.

Sanghee smiled and nodded. “I can get paid to be here and watch you guys play!” Jonghun stood up and clapped his hands together. “Ahjumma! You are wonderful. Sanghee I am so happy for you!” Sanghee laughed and looked at the older woman. “Ahjumma, when do you think I can look at the apartment?” She thought for a moment. “I think I can get the building manager to let you look tomorrow afternoon.” She motioned to herself “That man wants a piece of this.” The band and Sanghee all laughed. The older woman sighed and turned to leave “This old ahjumma still has it.” She said as she closed the door behind her.

Everyone started laughing. Jonghun sat back down on the couch. Jaejin was sitting in a chair in front of a mirror and Minhwan was sitting on a stool in a corner, playing on his phone. Jonghun smiled at everyone “Why don’t we hang out here for a while and celebrate Sanghee being back? Minhwan, go get some drinks for everyone from ahjumma.” Minhwan nodded and got up and left the room.

Sanghee smiled and sat down on the couch next to Jonghun. Seunghyun quickly took the spot next to her. Hongki sat on the floor next to the table. Minhwan came back with a couple bottles of soju and cola. He set them on the table and sat next to Hongki. “Ahjumma said we can stay as long as we want and not to worry about the closing time.” They all started pouring drinks and celebrating.

After a bit the Ahjumma came in with some cooked pork and some side dishes. “This is on the house. Have fun you guys!” She left. The boys started arguing over who got to eat the meat first. Sanghee just grabbed a piece with her chopsticks and ate it happily. They looked at her and laughed. Seunghyun grabbed some rice and put some kimchi on it and held it up to Sanghee. “You can’t just eat meat, here.” He fed it to her smiling at Jonghun.

Hongki felt left out so he fed some pork to Minhwan, since he couldn’t reach Sanghee. Jaejin tried to feed Jonghun but he just raised his eyebrow at him. Jaejin fed Seunghyun instead. They were all starting to feel the effects of the alcohol. Sanghee grabbed some more meat and everyone looked at her like they were trying to see who she would feed. She laughed and fed it Jonghun. He smiled and stuck his tongue out at Seunghyun and happily ate.

Sanghee then grabbed another piece and fed it to Jaejin, then another piece to Hongki. Jonghun then realized that she was feeding the ones who didn’t eat yet and sighed.  She fed herself again and the members started talking about band business. Sanghee ate quietly. She fed Minhwan and smiled at him. Minhwan blushed and looked away after eating. Then she fed Seunghyun and resumed feeding herself.

At some point the band decided to write another song and they were concentrating. Hongki was writing in a notebook. Sanghee continued drinking and they ran out of food. It was about 1 am and they were still writing. She was sitting cross legged on the couch between Jonghun and Seunghyun. She started to feel tired and leaned back against the couch and fell asleep. No one noticed.

She slowly slid over and ended up leaning against Jonghun. He turned back and smiled at her sleeping. He carefully leaned back and lifted her head and carefully set her head on his lap. He grabbed his jacket and covered her with it and continued helping with the song. Hongki and Seunghyun were both jealous.

After about another hour, the rest of them were getting tired as well. Jaejin stretched out. “I think its time to go home and get some sleep. Are we going to wake her up or…?” Jonghun shook his head. “I don’t think we should wake her. You guys can leave. I will stay here with her tonight.” Jaejin nodded and stood up walking towards the door. Minhwan stood up yawning and followed Jaejin home. Seunghyun and Hongki were staring at Jonghun with a look on their face like what are you trying to pull.

Jonghun put his hands in the air. “I promise I won’t do anything. I would have you guys stay too, but I don’t think you want to sleep on the floor in the backroom of a bar. There’s only one couch.” They still looked at him like they didn’t believe him. Hongki stood up and leaned in towards his face. “How do I know you won’t try anything to her in her sleep?” Jonghun sighed. “If I do anything improper, I will let you guys shave my head.” Seunghyun grinned at the idea of a bald Jonghun. It would even cost him some of his modeling jobs if he lost his hair. Seunghyun sighed “We will call her first thing in the morning and ask her if anything happened. Behave yourself.” They decided to trust their leader and reluctantly went home.

Jonghun gently lifted her off of his lap and searched the storage area for a blanket or something that could be used as one. He couldn’t find anything. He went back to the couch and Sanghee had stretched her legs out and was hanging half way off of the couch. He lifted her up and put the jacket on her so that she would be warm. He smiled and climbed behind her lying down, pulling her close to him so that she wouldn’t fall off the couch. He wrapped his arms around her and fell asleep, using his body heat to keep her warm.

Sanghee heard her phone ringing and tried to reach for it but her arms were under someone else’s arm. She opened her eyes and looked down at the arm. She saw that it was bare and she was wearing a coat that wasn’t hers. She remembered falling asleep at the bar. She looked up and saw Jonghun asleep behind her. She blushed and suddenly remembered her phone and she pulled an arm out and grabbed it and answered it. It was Hongki.

“Sanghee! Are you ok? Did Jonghun try anything with you?” Seunghyun was yelling in the background. “Did he keep his hands to himself?” She started laughing and sleepily answered. “Yeah. I’m fine, he didn’t do anything.” She looked at the time and it was only 7 am. “Why are you calling this early anyways? Go back to sleep. I want to sleep more. I think I’m still jet lagged.” Hongki huffed. “If you want to sleep more, come back home and sleep here.” Sanghee sighed “I’m fine Hongki. Don’t worry about me so much. I can take care of myself. Plus Ahjumma should be getting here soon and I have to go see that apartment with her today, remember.” Hongki whined “But I want you here.”

Sanghee smiled. “You and Seunghyun just go back to bed. I know you guys slept even less then I did.” Hongki sighed. “Call us if you need us and be careful.” “I will. I promise.” She sighed as she hung up and put her phone back on the table. She was surprised that Jonghun was still asleep. She remembered about Seunghyun and Hongki pretending to be asleep so she rolled over so she was facing him and stared at his face, looking for a sign that he was faking. He was actually asleep. His whole face was relaxed and everything.

She yawned and decided to sleep more. He was really warm. She rested her head on his arm that was under her and pressed her forehead gently against his chest and fell back asleep.

Around 11, the Ahjumma came in and saw the two of them asleep on the couch. Jonghun was now holding Sanghee close to him and resting his chin on top of her head and she was facing him. The ahjumma smiled and gently woke them up. They both woke up slowly. Sanghee rubbed her eyes and tried to hide against him. Jonghun opened his eyes and slowly tried to process what was happening. He saw the top of Sanghee’s head against his chest and smiled softly. He looked up with his eyes still all squinty. He saw the ahjumma smiling at them and his eyes shot open.

“Ah… Ahjumma!” he said shocked. Sanghee suddenly realized what was happening and quickly tried to roll over. She would have fallen off the couch but Jonghun caught her. “Sanghee, be careful.” He looked back at the ahjumma. “What time is it?” The older lady laughed “It’s about 11. I didn’t know that you two were…” she pointed at them.

He sat up, making sure that Sanghee didn’t fall and waved his hands back and forth. “Oh no, we aren’t! She fell asleep here last night and I was keeping her warm. Ahjumma, why aren’t there any blankets here?” Sanghee sat up and rubbed her eyes and looking at the jacket confused. She realized it was his jacket. She took it off and handed it back to him. “I’m sorry that you had to stay here all night because of me, Jonghun.” He put one hand behind his head and laughed. “Don’t worry about it. I volunteered to stay. I didn’t want to have to wake you up.”

The ahjumma reached into her bag and handed Sanghee a brush. “Well I’m glad you’re here Sanghee. We can go look at the apartment at any time.” Sanghee brushed her hair and smiled. “Really? Thank you so much! Do you think I can get it?” The ahjumma smiled and nodded. “I’m very sure. I asked the building manager out to dinner before asking for this favor. I think he would be willing to let you move in immediately. Since you are working for me and haven’t earned anything yet, I will pay the down payment and you will just work without pay until you make it up.” Sanghee nodded excitedly.

Jonghun suddenly remembered that he had a shoot in an hour. “Oh no! Sanghee, I have to go!” He smoothed his hair out in the mirror, hugged her and ran out the door waving. Both women stared after him confused. The ahjumma smiled at her “Well, are you ready to go check it out?” Sanghee nodded and followed her to the building.

They arrived at the apartment and an older man was standing outside of the door. He smiled at the ahjumma and then at Sanghee. “Welcome. Are you ready to see your new apartment?” Sanghee nodded as he unlocked the door. She walked in and looked around. She was shocked to see that it was semi-furnished. The bathroom was right by the front door. There was a large living space with a kitchen off to the side. The living room had a white couch without arms, a coffee table and an entertainment center. She made a note that she had to buy a TV. There was also a table for eating with 4 chairs.

She opened a door and saw a full size bedroom with a queen sized bed and one side table. There was a closet and a dresser. She smiled and turned to the older man and woman. “You never told me it was furnished. Do I get to keep all of this?” The old man smiled at the Ahjumma and nodded. “It will all stay in this apartment. Do you like it? Will you move in?” Sanghee thought for a moment and agreed.

They went over all of the paper work and started filling it out. They talked about prices and Sanghee realized that she would need a room mate to help her pay for the bills. She would put an ad out and try to get a girl room mate. She didn’t want to have one of the members of FT Island live with her. She would never get time to herself and it would be hard for her to choose one of them.

After filling out the paper work and the ahjumma paying the man, she helped Sanghee post ads for a roommate. She was letting her use the bar as a place to interview the room mate applicants. Sanghee went back to Seunghyun and Hongki’s place. She opened the door and they suddenly ambushed her. They turned her around in multiple directions trying to find any evidence that Jonghun did something to her.

“What are you guys doing?” she asked laughing as she stood there awkwardly. Seunghyun lifted up her hair and looked at her neck. “We are making sure that Jonghun didn’t do anything to you.” Hongki glared at her playfully. “You smell like him.” Sanghee laughed. “He didn’t do anything to me. He was a perfect gentleman.” Seunghyun pouted. “Why are you so late?”

Sanghee took her shoes off and walked towards the bedroom. “Ahjumma took me to see my new apartment. She paid the down payment for me and is having me work it off. It’s already mine.” She smiled and held up the keys as she grabbed her suitcase and rolled it out to the living room. “It’s furnished and everything.” The two of them looked at her and smiled with a sad look in their eyes. “You can always stay here if you want.” She smiled at them and hugged them “You know it’s better if I have my own place. I already put an ad out for a room mate and signed a lease. You guys can come over once I get settled in.”

They both nodded and Hongki sighed and hugged her “You grew up so fast!” she laughed at him. “Well that’s a good thing since you two haven’t and someone needs to take care of you.” They all laughed. “I’m going to take my stuff back to my place and get ready for my first day of work. You should come by later.” They nodded as she left.

She got back to her apartment and unpacked all of her clothes. She took a shower and got ready to go back to the bar. She arrived there and the ahjumma came running up to her. “You really attract the cute ones! That boy over there is here to answer your ad. He almost looks like a girl.” The ahjumma smiled and pushed her over to him. The boy stood up and bowed. “Hello! I’m Kevin Woo. I am here to answer your ad for a room mate.” He looked very delicate and had a lovely speaking voice. She wouldn’t be surprised to find out if he could sing.

Sanghee bowed “I’m Sanghee. It’s a one bedroom apartment, since you are a boy, you would have to sleep on the couch or get a futon for the living room.” Kevin nodded. “That is totally understandable.” Sanghee looked around the bar and only Kevin and her were there with the Ahjumma. “Also, no one can know that you are my room mate because you are a boy. My friends are very protective. Ahjumma! You can’t tell them either!” She made a motion like she was zipping her lips and smiled at them.

Kevin smiled at her. She had to admit, he was really cute. Kevin grabbed both of her hands together “Thank You so much! You won’t regret this!”  Sanghee smiled “Well I have to work now, so I can take you to the apartment when I get off.” Kevin nodded and sat back down. “I will wait. Have fun working.” He smiled at her again as he pulled out an iPod and a book.

Sanghee went behind the counter and the ahjumma trained her all day, occasionally looking over at the boy reading cheerfully and smiling and congratulating Sanghee for collecting another cute boy. Sanghee kept shushing her, not knowing if Kevin could hear.

After work, Kevin was resting his head on the table. It looked like he was sleeping with his headphones in. Sanghee went over and poked his shoulder. Kevin sleepily opened his eyes and looked up at her. His eyes were still glossed over from sleep. He smiled and took his headphones out. “Are you finished?” Sanghee’s face went blank. She nodded awkwardly. “Umm… yeah. I’m done for today.”

Kevin smiled and stood up putting his things back in his backpack. “Let’s go then.” Sanghee nodded “Bye Ahjumma! See you tomorrow.” The ahjumma waved after them. Sanghee started explaining the way to get to the apartment. “I don’t have a TV or anything like that yet.” Kevin laughed. “That’s alright. I have a TV in my room back at my parents’ house.” She smiled and opened the door to the building. “We are on the third floor.” They climbed the stairs and Sanghee unlocked the door.

“Come on in.” she said walking in first. Kevin came in and looked around. “This place isn’t bad!” He sat on the couch. “Sleeping here will have some getting used to though. Tomorrow I can bring my stuff over right?” Sanghee nodded as she sat on the couch too. “I would offer you something to eat but I don’t have any food yet. Ahjumma is taking me grocery shopping tomorrow morning.”

Kevin leaned forward and looked at her “So how come that ahjumma takes care of you so much?” Sanghee smiled “She owns the bar that my best friends’ band plays at. I am their biggest fan since I can’t sing or play an instrument. They are called FT Island.” She grabbed her phone and opened the picture she took in the airport. Hongki and Seunghyun were each on a side of her and the other three members were leaning on their shoulders. “This is them. They are the protective friends I was telling you about.” Kevin nodded. “They must really like you.” She nodded and explained how she had known Hongki and Seunghyun since she was in kindergarten and everything about the band.

After a while Kevin stood up. “Well I should be getting back to my parents house. I will be back in the morning with my things.” She nodded and closed the door as he waved happily to her and left. She locked the door and sighed. She wasn’t sure how this was going to turn out.

The next morning she woke up early and got ready to go grocery shopping with Ahjumma. She opened the door to go find her. She was startled as Kevin was about to knock on the door. Kevin was shocked at the door opening suddenly and smiled at her. “Good morning! I brought my things.” Sanghee looked at the floor and he had a couple suitcases, a TV, a rice cooker and a stereo with an ipod dock. She laughed as she noticed a man bring up another box.

“You sure have a lot of stuff.” She laughed as she helped them bring it all in. Kevin smiled. “Yeah. I told my parents about me moving out and they bought me some things like kitchen stuff.” Sanghee was glad they did that because all she had was her clothes, laptop and phone. Kevin paid the man and started to unpack things. “Is it alright if I put my clothes and things in the bedroom?” She nodded “I will be back later. I have to go get some food. Anything you can’t eat or won’t eat?” Kevin shook his head and smiled at her. “Anything is fine with me.”

After the ahjumma bought her groceries, they carried the groceries in. There were too many bags for Sanghee to carry alone. Kevin had his hair tied up in a little pony tail on top of his head and was wearing a pink and white gingham apron and was cleaning. He ran up to them and took the bags from the ahjumma. “Welcome back!” He said smiling really cutely.

Both women stared at him in shock. Kevin came and took the bags from Sanghee as well and started putting the food away. Sanghee and the Ahjumma looked at each other. The ahjumma started laughing. “Oh Sanghee, I’m so jealous! I want to come home to a cute man cleaning my house.” Sanghee stared at her with her eyes wide open. Kevin giggled as she left the two of them alone. “So she thinks I’m cute?” She nodded.

She came back to her senses and went to help put the groceries away. “You didn’t have to clean up you know.” Kevin laughed and continued putting food in the bottom of the fridge. “I had nothing else to do so I thought why not.” They finished putting the food away as someone knocked on the door. Kevin smiled “Is ahjumma back?” Sanghee looked through the peep hole. Hongki and Seunghyun were outside the door. Sanghee panicked as Kevin came over to see who it was.

Sanghee quickly pushed Kevin into the bedroom and closed the door behind him. She went and answered the door. “Seunghyun! Hongki! Why are you here?” The two boys walked in. Hongki smiled and handed her a bag of rice. “We came to see your place of course!” Sanghee put the bag of rice on the counter and was panicking as they looked around. “Did you already find a room mate?” Seunghyun asked as he reached for the bedroom door. Sanghee ran over to the door, but didn’t make it in time. Seunghyun opened the bedroom door.

Hongki, Seunghyun and Sanghee were shocked to see a girl sitting on the bed putting make up on. Seunghyun apologized and closed the door again. “I see you have found a room mate.” Sanghee was speechless. Kevin had put on a wig and was putting on makeup. She thought he looked prettier then her. She had no idea what to do. Hongki smiled “You will finally have a girl for a friend! What’s her name?”

Sanghee was still trying to wrap her head around what she just saw. Kevin came out of the room and smiled at them. “Hello. I’m Jessica, pleased to meet you.” Sanghee had now lost all function in her brain and just stared at Kevin with slightly open.

Seunghyun and Hongki introduced themselves. “So Jessica, I’m sorry for barging in on you like that. I had no idea someone else lived here. Sanghee didn’t tell us.” Seunghyun looked at Sanghee with a slight glare. Kevin went up and hugged Sanghee and rested his head against hers “It’s not her fault. I just moved in today. We were just learning about each other. Right, Sanghee?” She nodded “It seems I have a lot to learn still.” Kevin smiled at the other two boys.

Hongki elbowed Seunghyun “Well, we just wanted to tell Sanghee that we wanted to go play tomorrow. You can come too if you would like, Jessica.” Kevin giggled “I’m sorry but I have to work all day tomorrow. I won’t be able to make it. I work a lot.” Seunghyun and Hongki nodded. “Then it will just be the three of us. Sanghee, we will come get you tomorrow ok?” Hongki said grinning.

Sanghee nodded and ushered the two of them out. She locked the door behind them. She turned to Kevin who sighed in relief. “Jessica…?” Sanghee asked confused. Kevin took the wig off. “I’m sorry, I panicked and you didn’t want them to know I was a boy so I put on a wig.” Sanghee walked over to the couch and sat down. “Do you think they believed me?” Sanghee nodded “If I didn’t know better, I would have thought that you were a girl. Why are you so good at being a girl?”

Kevin laughed “I have an older sister. She is a fashion designer and used to use me as a model. She only makes girls clothes though.” Sanghee nodded and yawned. “It’s getting late. We should make dinner.” Kevin nodded and went to wipe the makeup off of his face.