Chapter 15

You're Not the TOP of My World

                A week later, Sanghee was cleaning up the bar. Since FT Island were trainees now, they couldn’t play shows here all the time so it was usually really slow. It was about five in the afternoon. She was working the closing shift today. The door opened and TOP walked in and sat at the far end of the bar and took out a notebook. Since the FT Island concert, he had started coming there to work. Sanghee would serve him like any other customer and he never tried anything.

                Sanghee figured he must like coming to places like this to write his songs. She went back behind the bar and smiled at him. “Hey TOP. What would you like to drink today?” TOP smiled at her awkwardly as he pulled out his MP3 and headphones. “A bottle of Soju would be fine.” Sanghee nodded and grabbed a shot glass and a bottle for him. She set it down in front of him as he put his headphones on and started tapping out a beat count with his pencil.

                Soon some of the other regular older ahjusshi customers started to come in. On days without FT Island playing, most of the customers were older. They were really busy for the first couple days after the concert for the CEO because girls were expecting the UKISS guys to work here. After they found out that it was just for that day, they stopped coming. Sanghee was serving the other customers when TOP asked for another bottle.

                She gave it to him and went to go talk to one of her really old customers. This man was about 85 and he said that Sanghee reminded him of his grand-daughter who went to America for school. Sanghee would talk to him often when he came in. The ahjusshi smiled at her and pointed down at TOP, who was counting beats by nodding his head and writing in the notebook. “Is that man one of those rock stars who follow you around?” Sanghee laughed and leaned on the counter nodding. “Ahjusshi, he is the one who started it all. The one who saw me in America.” The old man smiled at her and took another drink.

                He nodded “He is a good looking man. Is he your boyfriend?” Sanghee shook her head. “No, I’m dating Kevin. He is known as TOP.” The ahjusshi looked confused. “TOP? What kind of name is that?” She laughed and poured him another shot. “That’s just his stage name. His real name is Seunghyun. Most people call him TOP or Tabi.” The old man nodded. “I see, well you know he likes you right?” She nodded and looked down at TOP.

                He seemed to be in his own little world that no one else knew how to enter. The ahjusshi finished his soju and pulled out his money. “Well Sanghee, I feel bad for Kevin. Thank you for keeping me company.”  Sanghee nodded and took his money and watched him confused as he left.

                TOP had already finished his second bottle of Soju and asked for another one. Sanghee brought it to him. He closed his notebook whenever she came close. Even though he was in his own world, he still seemed to be conscious of her every move. She put it down and took away the empty bottles. “TOP? You don’t usually drink this much.” He nodded. “I Know. Thank you.” He put his headphones back on as she walked away.

                It was around seven and the Ahjumma came in.  “Ah, Sanghee! Will you go pick up some of the deliveries? They messed up and dropped them off at the wrong bar and they called asking us to go pick them up.” Sanghee nodded and grabbed the truck keys. The ahjumma took over for her.

                It took her about an hour and a half to get to the other bar and help separate their orders from each other. She got back to the bar around nine.  She wheeled in the orders and she saw that TOP had drunk two more bottles since she left. He had drunk 5 bottles all to himself and the ahjumma handed him a sixth bottle. 

                He opened it and poured another shot as Sanghee came back behind the counter. She immediately went to the Ahjumma. “How come you let him drink so much?” The older woman smiled. “Was I not supposed to?” Sanghee sighed “He’s famous. You have to at least take the empty bottles away so no one takes pictures.” The older woman suddenly realized and took the empty bottles from him.

                Sanghee continued working for a couple more hours. They didn’t give TOP any more soju. Around midnight TOP closed his notebook and put all of his things away in his bag. The ahjumma went over to him. He nodded at her and handed her money. He stood up and took a step, swaying. He fell over to the floor. Sanghee was the only one there who was able to pick him up. She lifted him up and sighed “You drank way to much. How are you getting home?” He smiled awkwardly at the ahjumma “Ahjumma, I’m going back to the company. I was going to walk there.”

                The ahjumma made a tsk tsk sound and frowned at him. “You are in no condition to walk anywhere on your own. Sanghee, you walk him back to the company. You can leave early.” Sanghee sighed and reluctantly agreed.

                Sanghee helped TOP get out of the bar and looked around to make sure that no one was around. She put his arm around her shoulders, so she could hold him up easier. She sighed and looked up at TOP. His eyes were barely open. She figured that he was close to passing out. “How come you drank so much tonight?” TOP sighed. He didn’t seem to even realize who was helping him. “I have been writing this song for this girl who wants nothing to do with me.” Sanghee now realized that he really didn’t know it was her helping him.  

                He was surprisingly light but the further they walked, the heavier he seemed to get. They reached the front doors of the building and they were locked. Sanghee looked up at TOP. “The doors are locked.” He grabbed his bag and clumsily searched around for a badge. He scanned it and the door clicked open. The guard station in the front was empty, which surprised Sanghee.

                “So where do you want me to take you?” TOP pointed to the hallway in front of them. He blinked a couple times “Studio C.” She nodded and walked down the hallway, looking at the doors. She opened the door to the recording studio and was glad to see there was a couch in there.

                She couldn’t find the light switch so she planned on setting him down on the couch and then looking for the lights. She shuffled over to the couch. She didn’t know that there was a foot rest in front of the couch and she hit the edge of it and fell onto the couch. TOP came falling after her. He had landed on top of her.

                She heard voices in the hallway and saw FT Island walk past the open door way without looking in. She stared in shock as TOP was trying to realize what happened.