Chapter 5

You're Not the TOP of My World

                Sanghee put on her new outfit and was doing her hair. She brushed it all flat and added some white hair extensions. She smiled in the mirror when she was finally satisfied with her hair. Her dad came back from checking the mail and knocked on the bathroom door. “Sanghee, you have a package.” She quickly opened the door and took the package from him. “It’s here!” She ripped open the box and saw a green panda phone case with her name on the bottom. It had a half of a heart on each side. She smiled when she realized that it would make a complete heart with both Hongki and Seunghyun’s phone.

                She put it on her phone and grinned at her dad. “Seunghyun and Hongki bought me this.” He laughed. “It’s cute. I bet that theirs look like a couple set without yours in the middle.” She laughed and nodded. “So are you excited for the concert?”

                She sat on her mattress smiling. “I’m really glad that they invited me. I never even got to see any kpop stars in Korea!” her dad nodded. “Be careful. Don’t talk to anyone strange and take this.” He handed her some money. “This is for stuff to drink.” She laughed “Dad, you do remember that I’m 21, right?” He nodded and smiled as there was a knock on the door. Her dad got up and answered it.

                A small Korean girl smiled as she came in. “Are you ready to go?” Sanghee smiled back politely and stood up. The girl was wearing a lot of pink. She looked kind of scared of Sanghee because of her clothes. Sanghee looked down at her clothes. “Am I wearing the wrong thing?” she asked, confused at the girls reaction. The girl shook her head. “Oh no! It’s fine! My other two friends are in the car so we should hurry!” Sanghee grabbed her hoodie and waved at her dad as she followed the girl out to her car.

                The girls’ car was pastel blue and had pink seat covers. There were two other girls sitting in the car. One was in a flowing knee length peach dress and the other one had a sparkly pink skirt on with a white shirt that revealed one shoulder. Sanghee now realized why the girl reacted to her outfit like that. She sat in the backseat next to the girl in the pink skirt. She laughed inside at the contrast of her black buckled pants and their dresses and skirts.

                Most of the conversation was in English. The girl driving suddenly asked in Korean “So Sanghee, have you ever met any idols when living in Korea?” Sanghee smiled. “No, my best friends are in a band though. They are going to make it big someday.” The girl laughed “So you never met any celebrities?” Sanghee sighed “I’ve met some of the members of Big Bang.” All three girls stared at her shocked. Sanghee panicked “Watch the road!!” The girl driving swerved a bit and looked forwards again.

                “Which members did you meet?!!” They asked excitedly. She leaned back and sighed again “I met Seungri, Daesung and TOP.” The girls were suddenly excited. “What was TOP like?!” Sanghee looked out the window. “I’m pretty sure he’s insane. He doesn’t make sense.” The girls were suddenly cold and started talking in English again. “I bet she never even met them. She is just saying that. There is no way that he could be insane.”

                They got to the concert and Sanghee could tell that they were just being nice to her because they were stuck with her now. They went in and found their seats. They were on floor level but were close to the doors to get into the hallway to the lobby. They sat down and waited for MYNAME to start.

                Sanghee sat there quietly excited. She liked all of the groups here today, but no one would talk to her. Soon MYNAME started to perform. Sanghee surprised the other girls by knowing all of the words to every one of their songs. MYNAME finished their set and after a short break SHINee came out.

                The crowd exploded. Sanghee danced along with the songs she knew the dance for and sang along with the other ones. SHINee finished their set.

                Sanghee stood up and smiled at the girls she came with “I’m going to go get something to drink. I will be right back.” She went to the concession stand and it was swarmed with fans trying to get their stuff before TVXQ started their set. She sighed and started wandering around, looking for a water fountain. She went down a side hallway and saw a couple vending machines next to a sitting area by some big glass doors.

                She smiled and went up to the machine and got a soda and a packet of cookies. She sat down on one of the chairs and noticed that there were tour busses outside the doorway. She wondered if she was even allowed in this area.

                Suddenly Taemin and Key came running down the hallway that she came from and ran directly out the door and into the bus. Then a group of fans came running from the same direction and out the doors and started to swarm their bus. From the opposite direction, Jonghyun came running full speed with Onew awkwardly running after. Another group of fans were chasing them as well.

                Sanghee was shocked to see that American fans acted like this. She realized that they didn’t have any staff with them. They must have made the mistake of leaving their dressing room alone. She opened her soda and drank some and opened her cookies. She slowly ate some of the cookies, staring confused at the swarm of fangirls.  A mans voice whispered from behind her in Korean “Is it safe?”

                Sanghee laughed without looking behind her. “As long as you aren’t Minho.” The man cleared his throat and she turned and stared awkwardly as Minho smiled at her while hiding behind her chair. He got up and sat in the chair next to her and stared out the door. He was waiting for the girls to move away so he could make a run for it or for the staff to find him.

                He smiled at Sanghee again. “You speak Korean?” he asked her curiously. She nodded “I was born there. I just moved here.” She offered him some of her cookies. He put one in his mouth smiling when they suddenly heard screaming. He handed the other cookie back and shouted “Thank you!” as he burst out the glass doors and ran towards the bus.

                Staff members finally got there and got the situation handled. Sanghee realized that it’s almost time for TVXQ to start. She started wandering around trying to find the door to get back to her seat. She was trying to read the English signs on the walls when she felt someone standing behind her. She turned around and TOP was staring at her.

                Sanghee sighed. “What is this? Am I an idol magnet suddenly?” He looked at her confused. “What do you mean?” She started walking away and he followed her “I keep running into idols since you showed up at my house. What do you want?” He continued following her. “Did you watch the press conference? How come you didn’t come? I invited you.”  Sanghee tried to read another sign. “I missed it; I was watching cartoons with my dad.”

                TOP nodded and continued to stand next to her without saying anything. A group of girls noticed him and started screaming and ran up to him. He looked at them confused since they were all speaking in English. More and more fans swarmed him and Sanghee ran into the bathroom a few feet away.

                She sighed and washed her hands. “He is so weird.” She waited a couple minutes and tried to open the door, hoping he left already. The door opened a couple inches but then hit a crowd of girls. She tried pushing harder but they wouldn’t budge. Some of them even pushed the door back closed. Sanghee had no choice. She texted TOP ‘You and your fans are blocking me in the bathroom. Please move somewhere else, and take them with you.’

                She heard sudden gasping. He apparently was waiting for her outside the door. He had pushed a fan out of his way and she fell. The other fans didn’t try to help her up, but tried to take her spot. TOP was pushing people out of the way of the door. He pulled open the girls bathroom door. The fans were even more surprised. Camera phones were everywhere.

                TOP had an awkward smile on his face. Sanghee looked at him in shock. “I told you to go away! Not come bursting in here and pushing your fans over! What kind of idol pushes fans down on purpose?” She pushed past him and made her way through the crowd. The girls were even taking pictures of her. She was sure that now she was going to be called the girl who yelled at TOP for coming into the girls’ bathroom. She messed up her hair and realized that she missed all of TVXQ’s set.

                She found the girls that brought her there and apologized for disappearing. They got in the car and Sanghee put her head back and closed her eyes. “So Sanghee, what did you think of the concert?” She sighed and looked at her phone. “I want to go back to Korea.” She looked at her wallpaper that she had changed back to Hongki and Seunghyun. “I miss my friends.”

                The girl in the passenger seat saw her phone case. “Aww, your phone case is so cute!” Sanghee smiled “My best friends bought me this. I just got it in the mail today.” The girl next to her looked over and saw her wallpaper before the case. “Whoa! Those boys are really cute! What idol group are they from?” Sanghee looked at her confused. “These are my best friends. We have been friends since kindergarten. This is Hongki and Seunghyun.” The girl grabbed her phone and showed the girls in front the picture.

                The girls were suddenly jealous of Sanghee. “They are the same ones who bought you the phone case?” She nodded, still confused. “Yeah, they have the matching ones. Seunghyun’s is purple and Hongki’s is yellow. Mine goes in the middle.” The girls all giggled.

                Sanghee took her phone back and laughed at how girly they were compared to her. They dropped her off first. It was already late. It was almost midnight. She went back into the apartment and flopped onto her bed. Her dad stared at her. “Have fun?” She huffed and turned her head towards him. “I’m an idol magnet.” She explained everything that happened to him.

                “So you ran into TOP again. I don’t think it’s an accident. Do you think the reason he decided suddenly to promote in America is because you’re here?” Her dad asked while mindlessly searching through the TV channels. She put her face back into her pillow. “I want to go back to Korea.” Her dad nodded “I know.”

                Sanghee got up and sat in the other recliner and her laptop. Since it was around midnight her time, that made it around 4 pm in Korea. She opened Skype and Hongki was online. She sent him a video chat request.

                Hongki answered and he was by himself, grinning. “Hey!”  Sanghee smiled “I got the phone case today!” She held up her phone. Hongki got all excited. “Seunghyun isn’t here right now. So it’s just me.” She laughed. “So I went to a kpop concert today!” Hongki nodded. “Is that why your hair is awesome right now and you aren’t in pajamas?” She laughed and nodded. “I got this outfit special for the concert. I saw MYNAME and SHINee. TVXQ was there too, but I missed them.”

Hongki made a fake shocked face. “How did you manage that?” Sanghee sighed “TOP was there. I ended up trapped in a bathroom because his fans wouldn’t get out of the way. Then I had to actually text him and ask him to go away so his fans would leave with him. Instead, he pushed some of his fans and physically opened the bathroom door. The fans took pictures of him knocking fangirls over and opening the girls’ bathroom. Then I yelled at him and they started taking my picture too. It was crazy. American fans are scary.”

Hongki was dumbfounded. He had no idea how to react. “He ended up getting you trapped in a bathroom?” She nodded. “I’m running into him everywhere. On the plus side, I met Minho before TOP showed up! SHINee was chased by fans. It was weird.” Hongki nodded. He heard the door open and looked off screen. “Seunghyun! Sanghee is on Skype!” She heard rustling and Seunghyun sat down next to Hongki.

“Hey! You look great!” She smiled. “Thanks! I went to a concert.” Hongki suddenly explained everything to Seunghyun and he looked shocked. “He really pushed his own fans?” Sanghee nodded. “I think so. I couldn’t actually see since I was trapped in a bathroom but some of the fans were on the ground in front of him.” Seunghyun ruffled up his hair. “That guy has some problems.” Hongki and Sanghee nodded in unison.

Sanghee sighed “I want to go back to Korea and be with you guys and FT Island.” Her dad smiled at her. “Then do it.” She looked at her dad shocked. Hongki and Seunghyun leaned closer to the speakers. “What did your dad just say?” She turned her laptop so her dad was able to be seen. “Dad, say that again. There are witnesses now.”

Seunghyun and Hongki were staring intently at the monitor. Her dad started laughing “I can entrust her to FT Island. You are all good boys. You make her happy. So she can move back to Korea. I can’t afford to send her though.” Hongki and Seunghyun looked at each other and in unison yelled “WE WILL PAY FOR HER!!!” Sanghee started tearing up. Her dad turned the laptop back around.

Hongki and Seunghyun got overly excited and immediately started searching how much airfare cost. Sanghee was speechless. Seunghyun smiled “We only have to save up 1 million won.” Hongki grinned. “With both of our shares of the concert money, we can get that in a couple weeks!” Sanghee started crying. “You guys would really spend all of your money one me?” They both nodded.

Sanghee smiled “I love you guys! I will call you after your performance tonight. What time will you finish?” Seunghyun smiled at her “The same time as last time. Will we get to see your morning face again?” She laughed and nodded.

She picked up her phone and set the alarm. Seunghyun saw the phone case. “You got the case!” She nodded. “I just got it today. It’s really cute. I love it.” Both boys grinned. “Talk to you later!” She waved as she shut off the call. She turned off her laptop and quickly got ready for bed.