Chapter 4

You're Not the TOP of My World

                Sanghee’s alarm on her phone went off. It was pitch black in the living room. She slowly crawled from her mattress to the recliner where her laptop was. She turned it on and grabbed her phone, turning off the alarm. It was 6am and it was time for her to call Hongki and Seunghyun.

                She decided to just sit cross legged on the floor with the laptop sitting on the cushion of the chair. Her eyes were barely open and the sun wasn’t even out. The light from her laptop blinded her but she still went through all the actions of getting on Skype. Hongki was the one online this time. He sent her a video call request before she could even click anything.

                She answered it with no idea of what she looked like. Hongki and Seunghyun were backstage at the bar they play at regularly. “Hello.” She said sleepily with her eyes still half shut. Hongki started laughing and covering his face. Seunghyun giggled “Sanghee, your hair is a mess!”

                Suddenly she heard her name being called from off screen. The other 3 members of FT Island came and tried to get into the view, smiling and waving. Sanghee laughed and tried to flatten her hair with her hands. Jonghun leaned on Hongki’s shoulder and smiled at her “When did you wake up?” she rubbed one of her eyes and looked at the clock on her laptop. “Two minutes ago.” She said smiling softly.

                The five boys all grinned. Jonghun sighed, smiling “Boys, we have all seen Sanghee’s sleepy morning face. A girls bare face in the morning is something rarely seen by those who don’t live together.” Jaejin and Minhwan nodded and Seunghyun and Hongki flailed around trying to get them to go away. Sanghee laughed, she was starting to wake up. She suddenly remembered yesterday with Big Bang.

                “Hey, you guys entered me into a contest without telling me!” She suddenly yelled at them. Jaejin, Jonghun and Minhwan suddenly laughed and walked away. They knew that Hongki and Seunghyun were in trouble again. The two of them looked at her shocked. “How do you know that!?” Hongki asked surprised. She pouted “Yesterday, I came out of the shower, in my pajamas and TOP, Daesung and Seungri were sitting in my living room. Then to make it more awkward, my dad left me alone with them.”

                They stared at her confused. Seunghyun slowly understood “They came all the way to America to see you?” She nodded grumpily. Hongki sighed “So you got to finally meet TOP?” She nodded grumpily again. “I did.” Seunghyun smiled “What did you think of him? Is he as amazing as you thought he was?” She sighed. “He’s insane and I’m pretty sure he’s a jerk. He was hard to understand.” The two boys looked at her even more confused.

                Hongki leaned closer to the laptop “He’s insane? So he isn’t your ideal type anymore?!” She shook her head. “He is a talented artist, but his personality is a bit… off? He was very protective of me. He didn’t say much at all except to say I was small and cute like one of his figures. Then he didn’t like it if Daesung or Seungri tried to hug me or anything. He even kissed me. Then when I got a paper cut on my finger, he looked all worried and when he saw it, his expression changed. He told me I was no longer in mint condition and didn’t look at me any more. Then when it was time for them to leave, he just got up and left without saying anything.”

                Hongki and Seunghyun had very odd looks on their face. “Ummm…. Mint condition? Did he see you as a collectable or something?” Seunghyun asked angrily. Hongki glared at the screen “HE KISSED YOU!!!???” The other members of FT Island were suddenly interested and came running back over. Jonghun looked angry. “Sanghee! Who kissed you!? Who do you want me to beat up for you?” She laughed at their reactions.

                “Big Bang’s TOP kissed me.” The other three members who couldn’t hear her talking before were shocked. Jonghun sighed “I’m sorry. I don’t think there’s anything I can do about this situation.” Jaejin, Minhwan, Seunghyun and Sanghee started laughing even harder. Hongki was fuming all on his own.  Jonghun sighed. “Idols are trying to take our biggest fan.” He said walking away.

                Sanghee smiled “I am always FT Islands biggest fan! I will be forever.” Jaejin and Minhwan made a heart with their arms. Minhwan rubbed the back of his head. “I guess it would be a good idea to warn you then. This morning, there was a sudden announcement by Big Bang that they will start promotions in America immediately.” Seunghyun and Sanghee looked at him shocked. Hongki grabbed his shirt “What do you mean, promoting in America?! They met Sanghee and decided to stay there! There is no one there to protect her!”

                Minhwan looked at Hongki smiling awkwardly. “They posted it on their SNS not that long ago.” Sanghee sighed “Hongki! Minhwan had nothing to do with it, let him go.” Hongki let go and pouted. “You guys, I will be fine. I can take care of myself. I took care of you guys; taking care of my self is a lot easier.” She laughed as they both pouted now. Jaejin and Minhwan waved and went off to find Jonghun.

                Seunghyun smiled softly “Take care of yourself and be careful. Hopefully they will leave you alone.” She nodded. Hongki suddenly smiled. “Oh yeah! We got you a matching phone case, it fits in between ours. You should get it in the mail any day now.” She smiled as they each lifted up their phones and motioned to the middle. Seunghyun grinned. “We even got our names put on them.” She saw that their names were printed on the bottom. Seunghyun’s name was in purple and Hongki’s was in yellow. She wondered what color hers would be.

                She heard her dad wake up. “Aww. My dad is awake now, I got to go. I will text you guys later! FT Island Fighting!” They laughed and said “Fighting!” in unison. They waved at each other as they ended the video call.

                She smiled and ran her hand through her hair. She really missed them. She hasn’t been able to make any friends in America yet. She spent most of her time alone with the dog at home, while her dad went to work. Her dad was shocked that she was awake already. “How come you’re up so early?” She smiled. “FT Island performed today so I called them after, since I couldn’t be there.” She stood up and went to the kitchen and drank some water.

                Her dad laughed at her “You went on video call looking like that?” She sighed. “I went to the computer first thing, I didn’t look at myself. They enjoyed seeing my morning face anyways.” She laughed “I think Jonghun enjoyed it the most.” Her dad smirked. “That boy is a nice boy.” She nodded and smiled “He is like a big brother.” Her dad nodded.

                “I’m sorry I had to take you away from them. I always assumed that you would end up marrying one of the members of that band.” She spit out her water all over the fridge. Her dad patted her on the shoulder as he the coffee maker. “Make sure you wipe that off.” She stared at him as he sat in front of his computer and turned it on. He started checking his email as she grumpily mumbled and wiped off the fridge.

                “Oh! Sanghee, my bosses’ daughter has an extra ticket to a kpop concert tomorrow. One of her friends canceled and wants to know if you wanted to go.” She remembered what Minhwan said. “What groups are playing?” He scrolled down a bit. “It says MYNAME, SHINee and TVXQ.” She sighed in relief and nodded. “Yeah I will go.” He smiled and replied to the email.

                He got up and went to his room and came back out and handed her some money. “Go buy yourself some new clothes for the concert.” He felt bad for taking her away to another country. She smiled and took the money. She hasn’t been able to go shopping since they moved. She hurried and went to take a shower.

                A few hours later Sanghee was at the mall, wandering around. She wasn’t very familiar with all the American stores and wasn’t sure what stores had her style of clothes. She saw a store called Hot Topic and saw that they had a lot of clothes that were her style. She was looking at the pants when she heard some voices speaking in Korean. She automatically looked in the direction of the voices. Out in the hallway, she saw Seungri and Daesung talking to their manager.

                She panicked and hid behind the rack of clothes and peeked through them, waiting for them to leave. Some girls ran up to them and asked for autographs. Seungri and Daesung were very excited to have found foreign fans. Sanghee sighed. Suddenly a deep voice from behind her spoke in Korean as well. “What are you doing?”

                Sanghee turned around and fell into the pants rack as TOP was leaning down looking at her. “No… Nothing.” She managed to stammer out. He grabbed her hand and looked at the finger that had gotten the paper cut the day before. There was only a line left. She pulled her hand away. “What are you doing here?” she said rudely.

                He stood up straight and offered his hand to help her up. She stood up on her own, without grabbing his hand. He put his hands in his pocket “We are starting promotions here. You should come see our press conference later.” She was confused as to why he was talking to her normally after leaving without a word yesterday.

                She put her hands in her hoodie pocket. “Why are you being nice to me now after you were a jerk yesterday?” He looked confused. His manager called for him from the hallway and he once again left without a word. She looked at him as he walked up to Seungri, Daesung and their manager. Seungri and Daesung noticed her and waved. She smiled awkwardly and went back to looking at clothes, hoping they would go away.

                They walked down the hallway away from the store she was in. She ruffled up her hair, frustrated. “What is wrong with that guy?!” she smiled at the cashier who looked kind of scared of her. She realized that to Americans, right now she was some crazy girl speaking in Korean to herself.

                She found a pair of black pants with buckles and straps all over the legs and a black shirt that looked like someone cut the sleeves off of a t-shirt and then cut down the whole side except for about two inches near her waist. It had a yellow paper plane on the front. She then saw a yellow plaid tank top. She decided that this was the outfit she wanted. She bought it and went back home.

                Two hours after she got home her dad was watching TV and they were talking about Big Bang. She looked up at the TV as the woman was speaking “South Korea’s biggest rock band Big Bang has suddenly decided to promote in America! Let’s go live to their press conference now! I heard that they let fans in and will allow them to ask questions.”

                She glared at the TV as it zoomed in on TOP and panned across the table, showing Daesung and Seungri as well. Daesung was the first to speak “Welcome to our conference! Sorry about our English, we will use a translator. Is that alright?” He smiled at the section with the fans as they started cheering for them. Seungri spoke next smiling at the cameras “We have suddenly decided to promote in America. Our leader TOP thought that this was a good next move for our careers as artists. Taeyang and GD will be arriving in a couple days. They have been filming for a show in Japan.” They smiled as the translator re-said what he did.

Daesung started speaking again. “Please anticipate our future performances!” The translator translated and the fans started clapping and screaming. The manager leaned forward towards “We will take questions now. Press first.”

The reporters started yelling out questions. The manager pointed to one. “What was the reasoning behind the sudden decision to stay in America?”  The translator translated the question for them. Seungri and Daesung looked over at TOP. TOP leaned forward and stated with a straight face “There is something here I don’t want to be far away from.” The translator translated the answer as Seungri and Daesung sighed.

Sanghee and her dad stared at each other with their mouths slightly open.

The reporters and fans went crazy. The same reporter asked a follow up question “Is that something a person?” TOP nodded after the translator interrupted for them.

Sanghee grabbed the remote and turned the channel to cartoons. “Watch this instead…”