Ten: Doubtful

Fall for you Again

 

We were both sitting in the living room while Junhyung slept. It was awkward sitting together without Junhyung after so long. I was about to take out my phone when she spoke.

“So.. you went to military school?”

I chuckled. “Nah. But it seems like it. Just a normal school for hopeless people.”

“How is it different here?”

“The classes are all the same but the discipline is way strict. They don’t have detentions or clean the assembly ground as punishments. They burn us, kick us, beat us,.. Yeah just those things,” I said casually.

Her expression was shocked when she heard about what I said. People might think I’m exagerrating but I’m not. Its hell in that school.

“Is that even legal?” she asked.

I shrugged. “Don’t know. But as far as I know neither the teachers has been reported.” After that short conversation, we back to the awkward silence.

“I heard there’s a carnival coming up,” I said, breaking the silence.

She nodded. “Yeah. Are you joining?”

“Some teachers asked me if I want to join the ‘BTS Community’ or the ‘On-Show Community’. You’re in the BTS Community right?”

“Yup. Why not you join the On-Show? I think its much more fun,” she said. I smirked.

“You don’t want me to be in the same place as you?”

“No no.. Its not that. Its just.. um.. the BTS Community does a lot of work,” she looked away when she’s lost for words.

“And I can’t do work?” I raised an eyebrow. I think I know why she didn’t want me to work in the BTS Community. And its not because she’s there.

“No.. I mean um.. Maybe you have.. you know.. other work to do.. or something like that..” her voice trailed off. I chuckled.

“You’re scared that I screw up the whole carnival right? Just like highschool?” I finally said.

“No…” she said softly. Its obvious it’s a yes.

I laughed even more. “Wow I must have really scarred your highschool huh..” She kept quiet and bit her lip.

“I actually forgot what exactly I did. Refresh my memory please?” I , knowing very well what did happened.

 

6 years ago

“Okay class, we’re going to have a carnival before the term break. And do you guys know what’s even more fun? You get to help out with the carnival!” Ms Lee was so excited while the students make annoying sounds showing that they are not excited at all. Seriously, why do teachers think students enjoy helping? Its not fun at all.

“Come on! It’ll be great! The seniors will be asked to set up a booth and some of them will help the teachers with the main things like decorations, tickets and all.” Some of the students cheered upon getting to set up a booth while some still thinks that all these is a chore. Including me of course.

I was sitting way at the back with Junhyung beside me and Hyuna infront of me. Even without seeing her face I know she’s excited for this. Junhyung was sitting on the fence. He’s neither happy nor angry about needing to help.

“So I’ll read out the list of people that will be helping the teachers and another list for those that have to think of a booth to set up.” I was not bothered at all and lie my head on the table with my hands over my head.

Suddenly Junhyung shook my hand. I looked up lazily and turned to him. I nudged my head forward, questioning him.

“Didn’t you hear?” he said.

“Hear what?” I asked sleepily.

“You’re going to be helping the teachers,” he said.

“Aishhh…. I knew this would happen..” I grunted and covered my face on the table.

“With Hyuna,” he whispered to my ear.

I frowned and banged my fist on the table. “Aish jinja!”

“Yoon Doojoon! Why are you making so much noise in the middle of my class?!” Ms Lee shouted across the class.

“Nothing..” I mumbled, looking down on my table.

“I would send you to the discipline master’s office if I hear another sound from you. Understand?” she said angrily.

“Yeah yeah whatever..” Aish why must I end up working together with her??

 

That afternoon we were supposed to report to the meeting room to discuss some things. I planned to just skip the whole thing when Hyuna literally dragged me to the place. Don’t get it wrong. I’m a her assigned partner and if she don’t get me to the meeting, she would be blamed too.

In the meeting, I played with my pen, fingers, phone, anything. I don’t bother to pay attention at all despite Hyuna nudging my arm a few times to stop fiddling around with things. Finally the meeting ended and I know because I heard my favourite phrase.

“Thank you everyone for attending. You may go now,” the teacher in-charge said. I almost bolted out of the room if not for Hyuna gripping tightly on my arm.

“What now?” I whined.

“You weren’t listening at all! How are you supposed to help?” she scolded me like a teacher.

“That’s point! I don’t want to help. Gosh you finally get it now??” I said.

“Well the teachers have trusted you to help out so deal with it. I don’t even know what the teachers are thinking assigning you to this job,” she shook her head.

“Since you’re so good with teachers why not you ask them? Besides, you don’t want to work with me anyway,” I said.

“I will have to respect the teachers decision and deal with this situation in a professional way. When you go to the working world, you can’t expect all your colleagues to be good and hardworking. So I guess this is my first challenge,” she said with much determination. I looked at her as if she was crazy.

“O-kay.. As I expected. You are crazy,” I said, walking out of the room.

“I am not crazy! You’re the crazy one! Do you even know what to do? Yah Yoon Doojoon! Stop there!” I was quite shocked by her outburst since she was so calm and determined when I was facing her just now. But yeah. Can’t blame her for being crazy.

 

“We have to put up the stalls for the booths and distribute the wooden headers to classes for them to decorate,” Hyuna told me as she read from her book.

“Okay have fun working!” I said and waved happily to her but just as I turned she grabbed the collar of my shirt.

“In your dreams Yoon Doojoon. We are assigned to work together and that’s what we’ll do. Dare you escape and I’ll make sure you sleep with your eyes open,” she said dangerously. She really cares about this thing huh. Oh well.. All I need to do is be here. I didn’t promised I will do a good job.

We went to the open field where the carnival is going to to be held. Everyone was so busy going around and doing things for the event. I don’t see Junhyung anywhere and my other friends probably got the chance to ditch this whole thing.

There were wooden poles and white planks on the grass where we are supposed to set up the stalls and booths. Other students pairs are also helping to set up but since I’m stuck with Little Miss I Can Do Everything here, we have more than half of the stalls to set up. Have I mentioned how that I hate her?

“Okay! Let’s start building. Here’s the manual and picture of the booth. Go pick up that toolbox. One is for you and the other is mine,” she said.

I dragged my feet to the nearby toolboxes and threw one infront of her. She gasped softly and frowned at me with her i-can’t-believe-you-just-did-that face.

“Opps. My hand slipped,” I shrugged not feeling the least bit sorry.

We start working and Hyuna paid attention to my every move just in case I tried to escape. Setting the booth was not so hard since there were holes on the edges of the planks to put in the wooden poles. The tedious part was we are supposed to put some hot glue using the glue gun around the poles so that the booths will be more stable.

“You have to blow on the glue after putting them so that it can dry faster and harden,” Hyuna reminded me.

“Sound more like a ,” I sniggered. Hyuna shows me a disgusted face and rolled her eyes.

We were at out fourth booth and I’m already tired, hungry and I just want to go home and sleep. After putting in the pole into the plank I was too lazy to secure it with the glue so I just pretend to blow on it.

“Done?” she asked.

“Yup!” I said.

“Okay let’s do next one,” she said moving over to the next empty spot. I glanced back to the fourth booth. Looks stable to me. Maybe we don’t really need the glue. Aish such a waste of time.

 

~~

I'M SO SOO SORRY FOR LEAVING THIS FIC FOR SOOOO LONGGGG!! To make up for it I'll give you quick updates now okay? Coz I have lots of ideas for this I just can't find the time to update this. Jinja jinja mianhe!

image

Don't be mad okay? /throw hearts/