1

Heart of Ice, Jung Taekwoon

Jung Taekwoon

l walk along the school corridors that is empty right now. Of course it is empty, it was only 7.15 am, 45 minutes till school starts. Most of the school population won't be in school at this timing since it's too early. And that's the whole point of me coming in early.

I've never like crowds to begin with. The fact that I am slightly claustrophobic and being shy just make me want to stay away from crowds. I'm not one to start a conversation with someone nor one to greet somebody first. I'm just am that shy.

Because of that my image in school had been set by the student body right on the first day of high school.

Poker Face. Emotionless. And the most popular The Ice Prince.

It's not their fault to give me such an image, but I guess I really am that kind of person. But as long as they don't bother my life, I guess it's fine. Throughout the 2 years of being in this school, no harm have ever been inflicted on me. Well aside from the usual snide remarks, but that's just normal.

I walk towards the school office to collect my timetable for my senior year. Ah, senior year. At last, a year more of enduring high school and it's over.

Once I collect the timetable, getting the usual compliments from the school secretary at the same time since I'm always the first few ones to collect timetables and all sorts of school stuffs, I walk out of the office and I realise that the hallways are starting to be filled up with students.

Bit by bit students came trickling in from the front door, heading towards the office to collect their timetables and sort their admin stuff for the rest of the year. The school office is always crowded on the first day.

I heave a sigh of relief having to collect the timetable earlier so I won't have to be in that crowded office. 

Taking a look at my timetable, I start to walk to my homeroom class for attendance taking before my first lesson. I walk past other students, not bothered to smile or anything since its better to mind my own business.

Some freshmen bowed and greet me, at least they know basic respect towards their seniors.I only give them a slight nod and walk away. I noticed some of them whispering and pointing at me, I guess they have heard the stories about me then.

"Taekwoon-ah!" suddenly a voice from behind call out to me and within a few seconds, a pair of arms encircled around my neck.

I shrug the hands off knowing fully well who it was. Jaehwan, Lee Jaehwan. My friend.

Surprise that I have a friend? Well more like a clique. They are basically my one and only few friends since I know them since young as our parents were good friends. Throughout elementary school until high school, we have always been together. Well, they may be my friends but that doesn't mean that I talk a lot to them.

I'm not much of a talker, more of a listener.

"So what's your first lesson after homeroom?" he asked me, wanting to compare our timetable.

"English." one word, and I pass my timetable to him so he can compare himself.

"Ah, so we have English, Maths and History together. Oh well, better than nothing!"

And with that Jaehwan ramble on about other things. One thing about Jaehwan is that he talks a lot. When I say a lot, I really do mean a lot. Non-stop. He's like a train with no brakes. But he have never ever get irritated at me for not replying or not giving a reaction. He knows I'm listening and that's enough for him. I guess that's why I regard him as the closest friend to me.

"Oh! There's the rest! Kaja!" He pulled me towards the 4 boys that was walking towards us.

Sang Hyuk, Hong Bin, Wonshik and Hakyeon. The other 4 friends of mine. We got together and started comparing timetable. Well, more like they are comparing timetable and I'm just listening, responding once in awhile.

"Yah, Taekwoon, you're gonna scare off the freshmen with your stare." Hakyeon told me jokingly.

I just look at him and look away, my attention back to the crowd, just looking around.

I look at my watch, 7.50am. I grab my timetable which was with Sang Hyuk and walk away.

"YAH! EODIGA?!" Jaehwan shouted at me as I was about to walk off.

"Homeroom." I said while pointing a finger towards the clock on the wall.

Hong Bin and Wonshik grumbled how it was still 10 minutes till homeroom and we still have time. I just shrug my shoulder and walk away.

Jaehwan and Sang Hyuk followed me as they are in the same homeroom as me while Hakyeon and Wonshik are together, leaving Hong Bin being the only one alone in another homeroom.

The three of us walk towards the class, stopping once in awhile since Jaehwan and Sang Hyuk seems to have quite a few people that they want to chat with. I just continue walking, not wanting to join the conversation.

CRASH

Someone collided into me, making the both of us fall. I sat up, looking at who it was.

A girl with her long wavy hair covering her face was picking up the scattered books and papers that had fall down when we both bump into each other.

As I stood up, she too stood up.

"Choseonghamnida. Jeongmal choseonghamnida. I was running without looking at my surroundings. Jeongmal choseonghamnida" the girl bowed quite a few times before looking up.

She, well, she's beautiful.

Standing no taller than around my shoulder, she have a petite frame. Her eyes were almond shape, and it's light brown, hazel to be specific.

Her cheekbones are high and her lips were like rosebuds.

Her eyes widen when she notice me looking at her and her cheeks tinted pink.

"It's ok." I said without further explaining and walk away.

Her face reaction before I walk away was as if she was in shock.

Maybe she didn't know who I am then I guess.

I entered my class and took a seat near the back and within seconds Sang Hyuk and Jaehwan enters the class and took their seats were near mine.

The tables and chairs were paired up in two so Sang Hyuk and Jaehwan sat together, knowing fully well that I prefer to sit alone.

As the bell rang the rest of the class filled up the empty chairs and the homeroom teacher, Mr Yang, took our attendance.

"Ah, choseonghamnida! I was lost and couldn't find my way!" someone burst through the doors and started to apologise to Mr Yang profusely.

I looked up and I saw it was the girl that bumped into me. So she is my age and is in my homeroom.

"Are you the new student?" Mr Yang asked her.

New student? That explains her reaction when I barely respond to her.

"Ne, seonsaengnim." she replied, nodding her head.

"Okay class, this is your new classmate, Park Myung Hee. She just transferred here. You can introduce yourself." Mr Yang step back, allowing her to introduce herself.

"Annyeonghaseyo, choneun Park Myung Hee imnida. Please treat me kindly." she said, bowing at the same time, ending her introduction with a sweet smile.

The class clap for her and certain boys in the class wolf-whistle at her.

Mr Yang told her to proceed and take a seat while he continue to mark the attendance. She looks around and her sight falls on me.

Oh no, please don't say that she'll be sitting next to me. I just look down and continue to read the book I was reading awhile ago.

"Annyeong!" a voice calls out to me beside me. I turn around and there she was, next to me, saying hi to me informally.

I just nod and continue reading.

"He's usually like that, don't mind him. He is a nice person, really. I'm Jaehwan, Lee Jaehwan" Jaehwan who was sitting in front of me turn around and introduce himself.

"Oh jincha? Oh well, I'm Myung Hee, Park Myung Hee." she replied, her tone light and airy,filled with friendliness.

"I'm Sang Hyuk, but everyone calls me Hyuk." Sang Hyuk introduce himslf next.

The three of them started a conversation and didn't end it until the bell for the next class start.

I walk out of the class with Jaehwan to our next class, leaving Sanghyuk behind since his first class was Maths which is in that class.

Stepping in my English class, claiming a spot at the back for myself, Mr Ellison Kim step in the class at the same time. He sets up the materials on the teacher's desk, awaiting for his students arrival.

Jaehwan took a seat in front of me, putting his bag at the seat next to him, claiming it for Wonshik who is in the same English class as us. Within minutes, the class is filled once again and I saw Myung Hee stepping in as one of the last few ones to enter the class.

Jaehwan waved at her and she waved back. And as if I asked her to, she took up the seat next to me again. Jaehwan introduce Myung Hee to Wonshik and vice-versa while I sat there awaiting Mr Kim to start the class.

"Taekwoon right? I didn't get to introduce myself to you. I'm Myung Hee." she said once Mr Kim starts his lesson.

"Ne." I replied, concentrating on the lesson back.

"You're not one to talk a lot I see. But nevermind, I like you!" she exclaimed , making me stop writing my notes.

She likes me? We only know each other less than an hour ago and she said she likes me? This girl is weird. She's really open.

She continued to ramble on, stopping once in awhile to write notes. She's practically the female version of Jaehwan.

"Can you concentrate fully?" I asked her, wanting her to stop talking for a while.

Her talking seems to give me a slight headache.

"Oh! You said a full sentence! Yah Jaehwan, did you hear that?" she calls out to Jaehwan, tapping both Wonshik and Jaehwan shoulder.

They both turn around and laugh at her reaction.

But, I guess my tone of voice when I asked her was serious enough because she stopped talking at continue with her notes.

At last, tranquility.

 

Park Myung Hee

"YAH! MYUNG HEE! WAKE UP!" the shouting of my brother could be heard coming from next to my right ear.

"OPPA! YOU DON'T HAVE TO SHOUT AT ME!" I screamed back at my brother who was just laughing at me.

Aish, he just love to tease me. I grab my towel and went to the bathroom to shower before getting ready for school.

I put on my new school uniform and fix my hair, letting it down, clipping my fringe to the side. Looking at my reflection, making sure I look fine and head out for breakfast.

I ate breakfast with both my parents and my brother. We talk a little here and there and they started on the topic on my first day of school at the new high school. We have recently move to a different area in Seoul, thus causing me to transfer school that is nearer to our current house. My older was not affected since he live in his college dorm once college starts back for him.

Just like him, I'm in my last year. Of High school while he was in his last year of college. Both of us are seniors.

My father send me to school, not wanting me to get lost on my first day and be late for my classes and registration. I hugged my father before heading out of the car. I look at my watch, 7.50am.

Egumonina! I quickly ran to find the school office with my transfer papers and my Maths textbooks in my hand.

CRASH

I bumped into someone. The book and papers I was holding on to flew away from my hand and landed on the floor. I pick up my items before standing up.

I apologise to the person I bumped into profusely, bowing quite a few times. After making sure that I've apologise enough, I look up to the person I bumped into.

He was tall.

Standing in front of him, I only reach his shoulder area. I look at his face. He's good-looking. His eyes are small, but not that small. His jaws are defined and he just have that haughty chic look on him.

I caught him looking at me and widen my eyes in shock before looking up.

"It's ok" he said before walking away.

Thats's it? Two words. Nothing else? I look at him walking away. That guy sure is weird. He didn't smile nor did he potrays any expression when I bumped into him. No angry expression, nothing.

I just ignore him and walk towards the school office to settle some admin stuff and collecting my school timetable.

I rush in to my homeroom class, knowing that I was late.

I apologise profusely to the teacher and he didn't seem to mind. He introduces me to the whole class and told me to take a seat.

I spot the guy that I bumped into at the hallway sitting at the back and there was an empty seat next to him. I walk towards him who was reading and take a sit.

"Annyeong!" I greeted him cheerfully.

He looks up and nodded, returning back to his book. I look at him weirdly. He really don't talk much I guess.

"He's usually like that, don't mind him. He is a nice person, really. I'm Jaehwan, Lee Jaehwan" a boy sitting in front of him turns around and introduces himself while explaining about the guy next to me.

"Oh jincha? Oh well, I'm Myung Hee, Park Myung Hee." I gladly replied back, happy to have make a new friend.

"I'm Sang Hyuk, but everyone calls me Hyuk." the guy next to Jaehwan introduce himself.

I had a small conversation with them until the bell rang signifies end of homeroom and the start of first lesson.

 I look at my timetable to check what was my first lesson. English, and the teacher name is Ellison Kim. Oh, a Korean-American? I like that.

I stood up to find that both Jaehwan and Taekwoon(Jaehwan told me his name) had left the class. I waved goodbye to Hyuk before heading out of the class to find my English class.

Being the last few students to step in class again,I spot Jaehwan and Taekwoon in the class. Jaehwan waved at me and I waved back. I saw the empty seat beside Taekwoon and took a sit. He didn't even bother to look up.

Jaehwan call out to me, introducing the guy next to him as Wonshik.

As I was about to talk more with Jaehwan, Mr Kim started his lesson.

"Taekwoon right? I didn't get to introduce myself to you. I'm Myung Hee." I tried to start a conversation by introducing myself to him.

"Ne." one word and he is back to writing his notes.

Oh well, I can just continue this conversation and just talk until he replies or give a respond.

"You're not one to talk a lot I see. But nevermind, I like you!"

I continue to talk to him while writing down the notes that Mr Kim was explaining.

"Can you concentrate fully?" he suddenly ask me.

"Oh! You said a full sentence! Yah Jaehwan, did you hear that?" I was shock to hear him say a full sentence so I call out to both Jaehwan an Wonshik, tapping on their shoulders.

They both turn around and laugh after realising the situation.

I turned to look at him who was back to writing notes and smile slightly.

This guy sure is interesting.

I was satisfied hearing him say a full sentence and continue witht he lesson without any further talking.

 

A/N: Hey Ya'll! My first chapter! YAY! Hope all of you like it! DO COMMENT AND SUBSCRIBE! SARANGHAE!