Falling

'Project X'

[A/N: COMMENTS CONTAIN SPOILERS]

 

Previously on Project X...

You come back home after your little time out with Luhan to a...creature. 

“Are you all asleep or some- OH MY GOD!”

“There aren’t six of you walking around in the same thing, right?”

Apparently, some sort of plan to cheer you up.

And hek, it worked.

“She must be easily amused”

“I’m a girl, not a germ, you wouldn’t get ill if I touched you, D.O”

“I love you guys”

“We love you too, Ji-Eun”

 

Despite telling the guys that you were feeling better after their little scheme to cheer you up, they were still unconvinced. 

You soaked yourself leisurely with hot water in the shower to try and get your mind off things...But still, something was just bugging you. Even after Luhan cheering you up and the EXO-K boys cheering you up, it seemed like that feeling just wasn't going away...That feeling of not knowing...that feeling of guilt...that feeling of longing and missing your mother. Ugh, why does your brain not have an off button for these kind of things. That would sure come in handy. Either way, you walked out of the shower after a good 20 minutes, only to find the six aliens comfortably messing around and lying in your room; their pillows and covers laid out on the ground and the couch already. 

You tilted your eyebrows at them curiously, "What's going on?" You asked suspiciously, eyeing the 6 aliens carefully as you ruffled your damp hair with your towel. 

"We thought about sleeping with you today" The maknae spoke up.

You almost choked on your saliva at his choice of words before he tried to fix himself, "N-Not in that way of course! W-We just thought it'd be nice to have a sleepover or something!" He defended, flushing a bright shade of pink, earning a hard glare from Chanyeol who was sleeping right beside him. 

"Don't worry Ji-Eunnie, if maknae tries anything erted, I'll be the first to break his bones rest assured" He stated seriously, causing Sehun a jolt a little and pull a face at his hyung.  

You chuckled at the two, "Guys, that's sweet of you but seriously, I'm fine, go to your own rooms" You said. But no one moved. They ignorantly pretended as though they hadn't heard you and carried on twiddling their thumbs and pretending to be asleep and whatnot. You sighed heavily at the boys and shook your heads, "Kids, the lot of them" You mumbled, a smile tugging at your lips. Your gaze fell onto Kai who was seemingly staring at you with a blank expression on his face from your top bunk bed.

You pulled a face at him, "What?" 

Kai blinked seemingly innocently, "Just wondering...What exactly do you remember from that Xiumin incident?" He bluntly asked, causing the other 5 males to sharply glare at him, especially Byun Baekhyun, whom Kai had secretly shared eye contact with for a split second. 

"Kai, let's not bring that up" Suho said sternly, thinking that it might trigger something bad again and make you upset. 

Kai shrugged, "Just an honest question though" He said. 

You thought about what Kai was asking you...what exactly do you remember? "Are you implying that there's something I'm forgetting?" You asked him. 

The boys fell strangely quiet as a few of the guys stole a quick glance over to Baekhyun who seemingly couldn't hear anything. He just laid there, pretending to sleep. 

"Maybe" Kai replied vaguely. You felt a little uneasy, but nonetheless Kai was asking the question. You knew he meant well. 

"...What do you think I'm forgetting?" 

Kai thought about it carefully...Should I tell her? He thought before stealing another glance at Baekhyun. Which was when he suddenly decided, Why should I? "Nothing. Forget about it" 

D.O, who with his hawk like doe eyes, watched the interaction between Kai and Baekhyun carefully and shook his head shamefully, "Stupid. All of them" He mumbled before falling back on the couch (which he claimed for himself) and pulled the covers over his body. 

You sighed, doing as Kai said and deciding to forget that he mentioned anything about it before heading to bed. 

 

You don't understand father!" A voice said. 

You looked around but saw nothing but furniture. Everything suddenly became a blur, all you could hear was voices. 

"------- I'm not letting my son behave in such a manner!" 

"But Ji-Eun is still a child!" 

"Don't sound so much like your mother, ------" 


Suddenly, everything warped into a whole different image, this time, you were somewhere...somewhere familiar...

“We’re not handing over Ji-Eun!” Sehun exploded. 

Baekhyun suddenly clung to your wrist and pull you closer to him, “What exactly makes you think that we’ll agree?”

Wait...what's going on? What's happening? 

Xiumin faked a thinking face, “Well let’s see…how can someone such as me…possibly put a girl and her little friends in danger…Ahhh~ her father maybe?”

This scene. You've been here before. You turned your face to glance over to the other guys. Their expressions were stiff, their eyes fixated on Xiumin. Xiumin? Wait, whoa, what the hek is- 

“You wouldn’t dare” Suho replied, his voice usually calm persona completely gone. Along with all the other members, he was fuming.

Was this a dream? It must be. There's no way you're living this again in such exact detail. Everything was so precise; exactly what happened that day, down to the positioning of the boys, the cold temperature of the room, their voices, it was exactly on the spot...Was that even possible in a dream? 

Xiumin grinned, “Watch me” He started. “Have we got a deal then? If you win, you get a wish. You lose and Ji-Eun is ours” 

“Over my dead body” Baekhyun fumed.

That was it. Everything should've stopped there and somehow Baekhyun should be in the water....

But that wasn't the case.

There was a sudden flash, as though someone had just taken a photo of you right in front of your eyes but everything was still the same. A loud ticking noise rung in your ears, tick tock, tick tock...

"That's the idea" Xiumin sniggered.

The boys looked around curiously and you did the same, when all of a sudden Kai called out, "Ji-Eun?" You turned to him, however he carried on calling out, "Ji-Eun!" He yelled, waving in front of you vigorously as if you couldn't see him. 

"W-What?" You stuttered, backing away a little when you notice Baekhyun staring at you with the same expression; concern flashed in his eyes before rage took control. He sharply turned to Xiumin, "What did you do to her?!" He bellowed. 

Xiumin laughed, "K might have a human lamp, which by all means might come pretty handy for whenever you need a torch...but we have father time. I think we win" He smirked. 

". Time control!" D.O cursed under his breathe. You were too bewildered to understand for a second, you turned to Baekhyun who was tightly clenching his teeth, about to shake him to tell him that you were alright when all of a sudden, you hand went right through him. "She can't move" He informed, as if the guys didn't know already. 

"We'll have to defend her ourselves!" Chanyeol declared. 

"Don't look at me like that. I'm not that time controller here. Although, my friend can only hold out for a few seconds so I should probably make this quick" Xiumin suddenly pulled out a silver gun, to which your eyes widened in alarm. 

"You won't take her. You'll have to take down the six of us first" Kai threatened whilst everybody else took out their own weapons. "Six against one...still think you can win?" 

Xiumin smirked, "Cute...But who said I was alone?" He commented before lifting his hand. Suho's eyes widened, "Drop your weapons!" He ordered the others, who in that exact second did as he said. Just as the various things fell to the ground, they froze into frost, freezing the ground that came in contact with it. The guys didn't even have time to recall anything because Chanyeol suddenly cried out in pain, his body crashed to the ground harshly all of a sudden, "Ow" He stupidly groaned in pain. 

"C-Chanyeol!" Everyone jolted and all of a sudden Sehun went down with a thud as well. "Whoa!"

"What the hek is going on!?" D.O groaned in frustration. 

"I told you I wasn't alone" Xiumin said, "Ever heard of invisibility?" 

The boys were practically dumbfounded, "You've got to be ing kidding me" Baekhyun cursed with wide eyes, unknowingly keeping you close. You yourself were stunned. Invisibility? That's...impossible. That's- 

Suho grunted all of a sudden, stumbling backwards and all of a sudden, everything was hectic. They guys were fighting an invisible man with the right mind set that it was basically impossible to win over. And you could only watch as they all got mysteriously beaten. Baekhyun could only do the best he could whilst still handcuffed to you when all of a sudden, Xiumin mad his move. He dashed right at you, switching his gun out for a blade. 

"Ji-Eun!" 

You caught the murderous intent in his eyes as he glared sharply at you, the knife in his hand ready to stab right at you when all of a sudden, something blocks your way. An ominous screech of metal is heard. "B...Baekhyun?" You uttered. 

Baekhyun had picked up one of the frozen weapons to block the attack with, but as a result, his hand started to freeze up and he winced as he started to feel the painful numbing sensation. Their bodies shook as both men put so much force onto their weapons as possible. But you notice the chain around his wrist...the chain that was supposed to connect the two of you together was broken. 

Xiumin sniggered, "How cute. Protecting your little crush now are you?" He said, causing Baekhyun to clench his teeth even harder, "Funny how you chose now to break that little handcuff of yours...Why not do it from the beginning?" 

...Wait...Did that mean that he knew how to break the handcuff in the first place?

That thought only crossed your mind for a split second, all you were worried about now was Baekhyun. He didn't seem able to hold out much longer. "What...do you want with her?" He questioned, still pushing with all the force he could to prevent the knife from penetrating. 

"Isn't it obvious?" There was a certain crazy look in his eyes as he spoke, "I personally want her dead...But no, Duizhang doesn't want that...You know what he wants?" He asked before leaning in closer to him to whisper, "He wants her...he wants all of her" 

That was when Baekhyun snapped. With an extreme amount of force, he shoved Xiumin back and swung his frozen fist right at the others face. But the other was unfazed, perhaps due to the frost immunity. But Baekhyun didn't stop there, he went full out. Punches, as futile as they had seemed, kicks, smacks of the weapon. 

You had never seen this side to Baekhyun before. The side of him that seemed as though he lost just that little bit of his rationality. Suho too seemed to have noticed during his battle with the invisible character, "Baekhyun! Stop! Pull yourself together!" The leader ordered, however it didn't go into Baekhyun's ears. He continued throwing meaningless punches at the other in fury. 

"What's...gotten into him?!" Chanyeol panted, already battered and bruised but still catching glimpses of Baekhyun and Xiumin. 

"He's not thinking straight!" D.O cursed at him internally. "Xiumin must've hit a nerve" 

"We have to go help him!" Kai said. 

"In this situation?!" Sehun barked, frantically looking left and right in anxiety, just waiting for the next attack. 

You tried calling out to Baekhyun, but suddenly your voice just wasn't coming out. It was as though some had just put you on mute all of a sudden. But right then, Baekhyun tackled Xiumin to the ground and grabbed him by the collar, panting heavily, his eyes wide with frenzy, "You'll have to kill me first before you even lay a finger on her, bastard!" He seethed. 

Xiumin chuckled, "Forgive me for repeating myself...but that was the idea" In one swift movement, the blade penetrated Baekhyun's lower stomach. You screamed mutely to yourself as Baekhyun cried out in pain, the blood seeping through his clothes. But Xiumin didn't stop there. He harshly took out the blade from the other, about to stab at the other's leg but Baekhyun was quick, he moved away, however still got a deep cut down his leg. The second he let out another painful grunt, your vision was blurred. Tears welled in your eyes. 

Was this...all happening because of you?

"Baekhyun!" The guys yelled. Xiumin suddenly pushed the other off of him with ease, practically throwing him onto the ice and letting the ice take him under, trapping him into the pool. 

"Baekhyun!" Someone called again. You looked around yourself and suddenly, everything wasn't so out of place anymore. 

It was as though someone just slotted the puzzle piece right in place...

 

"Ji-Eun! Ji-Eun!" 

You jolted awake, your body sprung up from your bed, panting vigorously and sweat glazing your body, your heart racing in your chest. You stared up to meet the six pairs of worried eyes; Kai the one closest to you. "It was just a dream, Ji-Eun" He assured in a soothing tone whilst gracefully your hair to calm you down. "It was just a dream" He repeated. 

No. That was no dream. 

You glanced up to meet Baekhyun's eyes and felt a pang of guilt punch you in your chest. "S-Sorry...I need some air" You said before pushing the covers off of your body and climbing out of your bed, walking straight pass the guys and heading down stairs. Right when you were out of sight, all eyes simultaneously redirect to Baekhyun. 

"...Well?" Kai urged. Baekhyun glared at him, "Well, what?" 

Chanyeol cleared his throat before hesitantly adding, "She was calling your name, wasn't she?...Ji-Eun was

 

You sat right outside the cafe on the dirty ground. The sky was still dark, but the street lamps were enough to see clearly. You let the cold breeze cool you down a little and took deep breathes in and out. 

"I want her dead. I want her dead. I want her dead" Xiumin's words echoed in your ears as clear as day and you couldn't help but feel goosebumps run right up your spine. It wasn't a dream. You were sure of it. It actually happened but you could only see it in your sleep. That actually happened. It explained everything. And it was too much. God it was too much for you to handle. 

You sat there for a while, around 10 minutes maybe. Then the sound of the cafe door opening made you jolt and you snapped your neck up, surprised by the figure that stood there. "Baekhyun?" You said his name curiously. The mentioned boy cleared his throat awkwardly before handing you a mug, "D.O made it for you. Some sort of juice, I dunno" He said monotonously.

You shook your head at his offer, "I'm alright thanks...What are you guys doing?"

"The guys just came down to get a drink. They're all worried about you but don't want to disturb you. They're back upstairs now though...You should too. Get inside. It's cold, you'll get ill" He said bluntly. You however didn't listen and sat still, glaring up at him. "Can you not hear me? I said get inside, idiot" 

You ignored him again and just turned away, sitting unmoving. Baekhyun sighed and scratched his head before walking out and sitting beside you all of a sudden. He placed the mug down and sat there quietly. 

There was an awkward silence, neither of you knowing or even wanting to say anything to each other. You were immersed in your thoughts about that 'dream'. How vivid yet surreal it had seemed...

"Sorry" Baekhyun suddenly blurted, catching you by surprised. 

"For what...?" You asked. 

"For...whatever stupid thing I might have done to make you upset..." He replied vaguely. You furrowed your eyebrows intently as the images of the dream flashed into your head. The knife that sunk into his skin...it explained his leg injury, but the one on his stomach...

"Lift your shirt" You ordered, causing Baekhyun to turn to you in bewilderment, "W-What?" 

"I said lift your shirt" You repeated in the same stern manner. Baekhyun scoffed in disbelief whilst moving away form you ever so subtly, "N-No" He stuttered, protectively covering his stomach in the process. Ha. How obvious. 

"Baekhyun, I mean it, either you do it or I'll do it" You were too engrossed in wanting to find out the truth that you hadn't noticed the tint of pink that appeared on the boy's cheeks. Unnecessary thoughts came and went in his head. He cleared his throat, "It's cold, I'm going back in-" Before he could make a run for it, you grabbed onto his arm to pull him down, your hand immediately going for his shirt. 

"J-Ji-Eun!" Baekhyun cried out defensively whilst trying to block your hands away, but you were quick. You lifted his shirt ever-so slightly, but enough to spot the bloody bandage that wrapped around just below his stomach.

You froze. Not having known what to expect after having prove it. But all of a sudden, you felt angry, frustrated. You glared daggers at Baekhyun before smacking him harshly on his chest. "You idiot!" You yelled and smacked him again. Baekhyun flinched at the sudden violence. "You absolute idiot! Fool! Moron!" With each insult came violence punches to vent out your frustration. 

"Ji-Eun! Hey! Ow! Stop! What the hek?" Baekhyun could only try to defend himself as you continued. "What's wrong with you?!" 

"What's wrong with me?! What's wrong with you!" All of a sudden, you felt yourself choking back on the lump that had formed in your throat, "Why the hek did you do that?! Why didn't you stop whilst you were ahead! Look at you!" You scolded him harshly as Baekhyun could only stare at you. He noticed the tears start to well in your eyes. He only realized then what you were suddenly talking about. You've found out about the Xiumin incident somehow.

You carried on smacking him harder this time, "You could've died, you ! What were you thinking back then?! What were you thinking?! Huh?! What were you-" 

Having enough of your hits, Baekhyun viciously snatched your wrists into his hands, "The same thing I was thinking when I kissed you!"

Silence.  

Both of you stared deeply into each other's eyes, searching for some sort of response, some sort of mutual understanding. But you seemed to freeze on the spot just like that. A moment passed by and you were the first to talk, "...And what was that?" 

Baekhyun tightened his hold on you as he said, "That I wouldn't forgive myself if something happened to you...That I would defend your life with mine" He stated, feeling an unfamiliar surge through his body as he stared at you. You were so close. Your eyes were looking at him. His hands were around yours. Was he enjoying this a little too much? 

You felt a strange stir in the pit of your stomach and butterflies coming to life as you continued to stare into his mesmerizing eyes. No. That wasn't what he meant. It was his job, it was what professor told him to do. 

You wormed your hand free from his grasp and moved just that little bit further away from him. Baekhyun watched as your face started to flush a deep shade of pink, and for some reason, he felt the need to tease you for it, "Are you blushing?" 

You scoffed and covered your face, "No! I-It's just cold" 

"You're blushing" He said, "You're flustered aren't you?" 

"N-No!" 

"You're stuttering" 

"S-Shut up!" You inwardly kicked yourself for being so transparent, "J-Just...It wasn't a kiss" You said, unable to turn and meet his gaze. 

Baekhyun scoffed, feeling a strange phenomenon rush through his veins, his heart suddenly started to race and his lips randomly smirked, "Then what do you call it?" 

"Underwater CPR" You stated confidently, still not looking at him, "Kiss has...deeper connotations. The other...'thing' wasn't called a kiss" You told him. 

"Then how about this?" 

In one swift movement, Baekhyun hands cupped your face. He turned you to him and abruptly captured your lips with his. An electrifying sensation shocked your lips and you felt your heart leap out of your chest as his scent filled your nose, the sweet taste of his lips brushing against yours. Baekhyun, for that split second, came to his senses, his eyes widened as he realized what he was doing. But...he couldn't stop. He didn't want to. He found himself in a trance, he closed his eyes again and forgot everything. His heart beat accelerated as he moved his lips slowly and passionately against yours...and all you could do was return it. Your lips were just melting into each other so fluently, magically.

Baekhyun daringly leaned closer to you, his arms hugged your small waist as you clenched at his shirt. But the stir in his stomach and sudden rush of adrenaline in his veins made him dangerously deepen the kiss. It was only when he accidently knocked over the drink beside him did he bring himself to stop. He instantly pulled away from you, noticing how the two of you were panting heavily and a sudden wave of dismay fell on him, "J-Ji-Eun..." The look in his eyes was nothing but panic and shock. 

You were completely dazed and shocked yourself as you stared into his open eyes. Not believing what just happened. 

Baekhyun released you and moved away as though he was afraid of touching you again, "I-I'm...I'm so sorry, I didn't...I didn't know I would go that far..." The amount of shock and astonishment that plastered his face was unnatural. 

"I-It's alright" You choked out. 

Baekhyun shook his head, "No it's- it's not"

You cleared your throat and stood yourself up, "Sorry, I-I'm going back inside" It was the first thing you could think of doing and did exactly that. You ignored that curious glances from the others when you passed them and walked straight into the bathroom to sink down to your knees, your heart about to explode. 
 

Baekhyun covered his mouth as he cursed to himself. 

There was no doubt about it now...

The one girl I shouldn't love...and I'm falling for her. And I'm falling hard. 

 

"Are they still living with her?" 

"I'm sure of it sir...Would you like us to infiltrate today?" 

"...No...We'll start tomorrow" 

 

--

[A/N: A very Baekhyun based chapter, kekeke...Oh, I'M SO SORRY FOR NOT UPDATING I HAD SUCH A WRITERS BLOCK FOR THE STORY AND I JUST DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TO WRITE I MUST APOLOGIZE TO ALL OF MY LOVELY SUBBIES AND COMMENTORS ETC I LOVE YOU ALL! I kinda speed wrote this so I'm sorry for any mistakes!]