Chapter 11

Ugly Duckling to a Beautiful Swan

 

I was walking down the street to get some fresh air when I suddenly started getting a call from Sungjong. 

 

"Hello Sungjong. What's up?", I hear heavy breathing over the phone. What's going on? 

 

"DARA! Where are you!?", he shouted on the phone and it sounds like he has been running. 

 

"On the street walking, I'm two blocks away from our house."

 

"Don't go home! Come to Seoul hospital. I'll explain everything later.", he said before hanging up. Seoul hospital? Immediately ran down to the main street and flagged down a cab and made my way to the hospital. When I got there, I saw Sungjong and Myungsoo at the entrance of the hospital. 

 

"What's going?", I asked as I approached them quickly. 

 

"It's dad. When I got home with L, he was on the floor collapsed.", hearing those last few words really hit me. Sungjong immediately brought me to the place where they are checking up on dad. Right when I got there, the curtains opened and the doctor started shouting and everyone started crowding around my dad. The nurses started pushing his bed out of the room. Where are they taking him? I started following them really quickly. The doctor saw me following my dad and he turned around and stopped me, "Miss, you may not enter in here since it's the emergency room. We are going to perform a surgery." 

 

Surgery? What's wrong with dad's health? He looked pretty healthy for the past few weeks, now he is in the emergency room in the hospital having a surgery. I sat down outside the emergency room and just stared at the door. Hoping the doctor would come out soon. I felt a arm over my shoulder, I turned to see Myungsoo next to me. 

 

"Don't worry, everything will be fine.", FINE?! My dad is in there having a surgery, how is anything fine! 

 

"Where's Sungjong?", I asked looking around for him. 

 

"He is outside, he couldn't stand watching the sight of your dad being in there.", I nodded as I rested my head on Myungsoo's shoulders. I looked at the time on my phone. 12:30 pm. I closed my eyes for awhile, but soon I fell asleep. 

 

I woke up to someone shaking me. I opened my eyes and saw Myungsoo, Sungjong and the doctor looking at me. I immediately rubbed my eyes and checked my phone. 3.30 pm. 3 hours surgery. I got off my seat and looked at the doctor. He has such a grieving face, the news doesn't sound too good. 

 

"Sungjong and Dara, I'm here to say that the surgery wasn't really a success.The cancer has already spread around too much that it is time to say that your dad won't live for very much longer. I think it is time to say goodbye to your dad." 

 

Cancer? Since when did my dad started having cancer? 

 

"Cancer? Doctor, what do you mean by cancer?", asked Sungjong looking surprised. 

 

"I guess he didn't tell you. He didn't want you guys to worry,", the doctor sighed as he looked to the ground and back at us again, "He had leukemia for 2 years now, he wanted to keep it a secret, but I guess now it is the time to tell you the truth." 

 

I walk to my dad's ward and thinking this might be the last time that I'll every see him. I open the room door and saw my dad lying on the bed with so many tubes on him and the heart machine connected to him. The beeping noise from the machine made me really scared, but I bravely walked up to him and held his hands. 

 

"Sorry for not telling you guys earlier.", apologised dad as he gave us a little smile. 

 

I leant in and hugged my dad and gave him a kiss on the cheek. "I'll always love you, even though your not there with me always." 

 

I stood back and gave Sungjong some alone time with dad, before dad told us to come closer. 

 

He softly said, "Sungjong. Dara. Always know that I will always love you guys."

 

With that sentence said, dad closed his eyes and the heart machine just stopped beeping, it now had a long beeping sound. I felt tears running down my cheeks. I turn around and saw all the nurses putting a white cloth over dad and I couldn't hold back my tears anymore. I turned to Myungsoo and cried on his shoulders. What am I going to do now with my dad gone?