Chapter 1

Ugly Duckling to a Beautiful Swan

 

"OMG! Dara! How much weight have you lost!" 

 

I turn around and see my crazy brother, Sungjong, running towards me and grabbing me into a hug. He was hugging me too tightly. 

 

"Uhh… Sungjong. Too tight." I was trying to push him away but he wasn't moving, but he did release a bit. 

 

"I miss you sis. It has been 2 years." 

 

"Me too." I smiled to my brother and he walked me to the car and see my dad in the car. Dad's face was hilarious. His jaws were hanging wide open and all he did was stared at me. 

 

"What. Happened. To. You.", it was all could come out of my dad's mouth. I laughed at him and said, "I told you, I was going to America for a change." 

 

That horrible memory is still in my mind. Me, 2 years ago weighing 95 kg and everyone made fun of me at school. I remembered how I used to walk down the corridor at school and everyone would say, "Make way for the elephant!" I would always look strong on the outside, but on the inside I was really hurting. I remembered how I had to get specially made uniform, because the biggest size wouldn't fit me. I would cry myself to sleep, until one day I decided that I wanted to make a change. 

 

""Okay sis. You have to sleep early today even though your jet lag, because you have school tomorrow." I gave him a nod before I closed my eyes and going to sleep. 

 

""Dara! Wake up! We're home!" yelled Sungjong in my ear. "Hmmm…" I pushed his face away. I hate it when my twin brother always annoy me in my sleep, but I had to wake up anyways because Sungjong kept shaking me. I was so sleepily but I had to get my bags and walk towards the elevator. Wait a second. I don't remember my house being here. 

 

"Hey! Sungjong! This isn't our house." 

 

"It is now. We moved last year. Come on." He dragged me to elevator and brought us to the 68th floor. 68TH!!!!! THAT'S CRAZY! How tall is this building? I walk down this massive hallway and dad suddenly stopped me and pointed to this door. Room 305.? I guess this is our new house. Sungjong passed me the key and I slowly opened it and gave it a little push. I walk inside and all I could do is just leave my mouth hanging wide open and just stare. IT'S A TWO STORY APARTMENT! 

 

"OMGSH! WHERE'S MY ROOM?!" I jumped up and down and hanging onto my dad's arm. He laughed and pushed me towards Sungjong who dragged me to my room. I was so happy when I saw my room. It had a double bed and the walls were purple. "THANK YOU SOO MUCH!!!" I hugged Sungjong and jumped onto my bed. "Get some rest." he laughed and walked out and closed the door. 

 

BUUZZZ!!! 

 

I felt my pocket vibrate and I took out my phone. It was my friend Krystal from America. 

 

HEYA GURL! y haven't you texted me yet? how was your trip? hows Korea? ANSWER ME BACK! 

 

She is my closest friend ever since I moved to America. She dates a different boy every single week basically and she always says that they are the one, but they are. She is one crazy friend, but she helped me to lose weight. I didn't tell her that I was going back to Korea because I know she wouldn't let me through the gates. Her parents kept it a secret from her until I went through the gates. She wasn't really happy with me. 

 

alr in korea. just got here. 

 

I got up and opened up my cupboard and saw my new school uniform in there. I smiled that I'm going to a different school, so everyone wouldn't recognise me especially that stupid guy who hurt my feelings. Myungsoo. I still remember those hurting words he said to me. "Me? Dating you? Check yourself in the mirror. Your an ugly duckling." I wish I could erase the past, but it's not that easy. 

 

KNOCK! KNOCK! 

 

I turned to see who it was. Sungjong. 

 

"Dara, I have to tell you something.", I look at him. What does he have to tell me that sounds pretty important. "It's about 'you know who'." I sighed and nodded at him. 

 

"I'm part of his group. He is my friend and he goes to the school that you are going too." I couldn't reply back. The words were still hanging in my head. He goes to the same school as me. 

 

"I'm sorry Dara." 

 

"It's okay. Just let me get some rest." Sungjong walked out of the room and closed the door behind him. I guess this is what happens when you are away from home for 2 years.