Chapter Six

Lost In Mertan

 

The following night when all things shattered, the boys slept on the plane as they argued that there was no way they were going to sleep outside on the concrete ground where ravenous mosquitoes were evident in search for exposed prey and instead stayed inside shelter and relaxed comfortably in cold atmospheric conditions thanks to the aircon however found themselves the next morning peculiarly on the actual concrete ground a few meters away from were the airplane once was and woke up to a groan and sprouting moustaches and thought oddly to themselves, surely planes were really really loud enough for them to hear it? But who was to escape with it? The pilot? But why would he have tossed them out here?

"Wahh...?" Sungmin said in astonishment, his eyes bulging as he observed the unique area that surrounded him, plantations of forlorn buildings and no specimens of nature to be seen, he suddenly found it harder to breath.

"I'm hungry..." said Ryeowook in pain as he clung onto his stomach, his face screwed up in pain. "do we have any food?" he asked and at this reply Donghae searched his pockets in despair only to establish absolutely nothing not even a tissue and was suddenly surprised that he even still had his clothes. "Sorry Ryeowook." He replied and felt the silent growl of his stomach but kept it in.

"Didn't me and Heechul tell you yesterday? It's gone... gone..." Siwon said half awake still in his reverie as Kangin only demonstrated contained expressions of fury. "So someone going to tell me where we are?" Kangin said fuming in hope that interrogation will make the suspect nervous and tell him that it was all a prank.

This is stupid; this is so stupid he thought to himself. If this was some joke, they had taken it too far.

"We don't know." replied Siwon and Donghae took the brochure that lay at his feet in worship and examined it, reading out the words 'Mertan'.

Kangin stared at the other members in hope that one of them had the answer and was going to yell 'SURPRISE!' out to him but when none did, his anticipation turned to impatience. "What...?" he said finally after considering whether or not he should say what he desired to say.

Donghae opened his mouth to complete his sentence but Siwon intruded. "Mertan. Where in a 'city' called Mertan."

"What?" said Kangin again and Siwon hesitated. "Where—"

Kangins anger exploded in flames. "WHAT? WHAT DO YOU MEAN WE'RE IN A CITY CALLED MERTAN? Were not SUPPOSED to be in a city called Mertan. What the hell ARE we doing here anyway? We have no money, no food, no water, no spare change of clothes, no HOME what the hell are WE supposed to do?"

"We'll use a phone both." Siwon suggested optimistically. "I mean, we can just call back home can't we and someone can pick us up."

"But where are we going to get the money?" Kangin shot and pushed him with force. "You tell me 'smart' boy..."

Siwon pushed back, shocked at the demeanour shown before him. He was overreacting he thought, the only way they were going to get through this is if they worked together and there was no way other than that. Right now, all they had was each other. No servants to do them chores, no managers, no nothing, they had never felt so helpless yet the members were trying to pick a fight with each other?

"TELL ME!" demanded Kangin pushing him again and Siwon had no choice but to push back as he neared closer.

"On the ground..." he suggested still composed. "We can find some money on the ground... there has to be some sort... if we just search... we have twelve hands, six people—"

Kangin looked offended. "And what become dogs? Not so cool are you now huh?" and at this Siwon pushed him with all the strength he managed to build in that split second sending him surging to the floor, after rubbing the dirt from his hands Kangin got up and lashed at him.

The remaining boy's gasped, immobile, feet planted to the floor. They couldn't believe all this was already happening. The two strongest men in the house fighting was the least of all things they wanted, oh and death of course.

"STOP!" pleaded Ryeowook as he attempted to push Siwon and Kangin away from each other which was a courageous move indeed. "STOP!"

"OUT OF ALL THE TIMES WE NEED EACH OTHER THE MOST YOU TWO ARE HERE TRYING TO KILL EACH OTHER? HOW IS THIS HELPING?" the boys remarked and Hangeng threw himself in the middle but his attempts failed as he was pushed out of the scene unharmed.

"STOP!" yelled Ryeowook again and tried to separate the two again.

"GET OUT THE WAY RYEOWOOK!" Siwon yelled and pushed his hand amongst Ryeowooks chest as he fell helplessly to the floor, gripping where he'd been violated.

"Ughh..." he squirmed and the others came to his aid and realised that they had nothing to aid him with and felt themselves culpable. Ryeowook had only been discharged from the hospital a week before, he wasn't supposed to be hurt again the week after, it was damaging to his health.

Upon hearing Ryeowooks cry Siwons eyes widened on realisation of what he had just recently done with his own hands and guilt flowed through each of his veins as the sight of his cherished friend emitting tears of not joy, but sadness and his heart stopped beating. "Ryeowook..." he said, his voice chocked and went to hug him. "I'm so sorry..." and Kangin not long after joined him, shaking hands with Siwon. "Sorry Ryeowook..."

"We're going to get through this together guys..." said Donghae as he fought back tears his head bowed and his long fringe covering his eyes.

"Let's not fight anymore." Hangeng said hiccupping and wiped a tear from his check. "I don't like it when we fight."

"Don't worry grandpa..." said Heechul and hugged Hangeng. "If it means taking Leeteuks place that I'm okay with that because I always thought that I was the better leader considering how beautiful my face is. I just want to get you all back home safely."

"I wonder how things would've been like if the evil maknae was here." The sad Ryeowook mentioned hopefully. "He would've thought of something."
"Buts he's not." Stated Kangin. "The eldest ones are here and only a short majority of us are smarter than the younger ones. I think we all know that so let's consider ourselves lucky that we managed to get two of the youngest along with us anyway. We are."

"Well you can count on us!" said Sungmin happily.

"And to start... we should look for money first around city and shopping areas, places with a lot of people." Siwon suggested worriedly. "There should be a lot more money out there then here."

And they all agreed with him in fact right now they were willing to agree with anyone if it meant leading them anywhere closer to home, their acquainted home in Korea.


As the boys found themselves homeless, the girls found themselves shopping at their local area as well as giving up to the cries of Victorias pleas of returning back to the bridge where they both nearly lost their lives in search of Victorias bear which Amy suggested that there was a possibility that the city rubbish dump held it instead as Mertan 'janitors' clean the waters every week and they had lost the bear exactly a week before luckily.

Victoria had been nagging about returning to the area in search for the bear again though Amy kept reminding her in all circumstances that the bear could be contaminated with infectious diseases as Julia didn't halt to dub her an idiot of all things leading Victoria to her usual fits.

"Why are you so mean?" she questioned to Julia and she laughed.

"Why are you so immature?"

"Because!" she replied back with satisfaction and Julia snorted.

"Seriously how old are you... really? If you even know what the word seriously means? That bear is long gone and there are shops around that sell the EXACT same bear. We can just buy that and save us the annoyance and ongoing stupidity of people like you."

"But no one can replace Mr Teddy..." she stated and fresh tears spilled down her tear ducks inevitably as Julia swished the strands of her silky long brunette hair and rolled her eyes.

"Julia. You took it a bit too far." Amy said as she held onto the figure of Victorias trembling body. "Come; let's go buy you a drink."

"And I'll meet you after I'm done searching for amusing books that doesn't involve anything to do with annoying people if you know where I'm hinting at." She stated looking at Victoria and Amy gave her 'the look'.

"Come Vic... so what do you want to do?" she asked and Victorias face lit up instantly and she knew for certain that it was going to be a request to check out the dumpsters for appearances of 'Mr. Teddy'. "CAN WE BUY SOME CAKE?" she said instead and Amy raised her eyebrows in anticipation that she'd change her mind and when she didn't, she didn't give a second thought to reminding her at all after all, who would want to visit a smelly dump anyway in search around for something that might not happen to have been there? Defiantly not Julia, Mary, Amy or Arena hands down.

"Can we have this and this and this?" Victoria questioned as she grabbed a stack load of crepes when they had reached victorias favourite cake shop happening to be a dreadful thirty minutes away and Amy check her watch. "AND THIS?" she said again and Amy groaned. "Vic we can't afford all this... especially on food. Most of the money we spend in the house is on you because your hungry and we can't just let you do that all the time. We won't be able to afford the rent like this. You no longer have the authority to do these kind of things anymore okay?" Victoria mumbled something under her breath and Amy looked at her upon audibly hearing it just enough. "What?"

"Nothing!" Victoria replied instantly and emitted a cherry like grin which took up half her face and Amy was complied to ignore it. What did that have to do with anything away?

"Fine take anything. But this is your last time alright?"

"What no!" Mary said suddenly. "We can't just let her have everything she wants. You keep saying this is her last time but you keep giving it to her. No more! Amy you have to learn sometimes to stop being so nice and sensitive around people. Especially to people like her..."

"She'll think that you are some sort of slave to her." Arena said spookily as she twinkled her hands in gesticulation.

"Get off." Amy said as she shoved her hands away.

"A SLAVE AMY!" Arena said again with that same dramatic tone and Amy groaned in reply.

"Anyway, remind me later, I can't take it away from her now, look how happy she is?"

Mary and arena looked over Amys shoulder and then sighed, she did look happy. "Fine... but next time Julia's coming alone with us. If she isn't here. Victoria gets everything she wants."

"You know?" said Amy out of realisation. "I never really knew the proper reason why those two hate each other... actually more like Julia hating her, some sort of grudge..."

"And Victoria hating you?" said Arena abruptly and Amy raised an eyebrow.

"What do you mean?" she asked curiously.

"Nothing." Arena replied and Amy shrugged then walked to the counter and paid a fifty dollar note to the man behind it and he gave her the bag indifferently as she exclaimed a thank you. Victoria took the bag from her and began gorging at it.


"David?" said Julia as she held the home phone towards her ear and held it with her elbow as it covered her ear to stop displeased stares at her as she searched around the bookshelves. "How've you been?"

"I've been good." He replied. "And how are you?"

"Just as good." She replied. "Victorias still being a pain in the but not much I can do about it."

A small laugh then a silence followed after. "How's Amy...?"

Julia frowned. If there was one advantage of talking on phones it was that the person behind the phone couldn't see the expressions imprinted on their visages and easily conceal it with their tone of voice. "She's doing fine. But not as happy as she was two years ago when you dumped her for me. In fact, I don't think she's anywhere near the girl she once was a week after you did it we just got used to the girl she began to be, so that's why she's doing fine. Let's face it; she was a majorly in 'love', horribly confused, inexperienced teenage girl who believed that you wouldn't do such a thing, hurt her the way you did."

"Ah..." he replied.

"You really did break her heart you know?" she added.

"Yea..." he said casually but Julia knew him too long to know that it was hurt concealed inside it.

"Anyway..." Julia said her countenance annoyed. Both David and Julia had broken up a year ago after Julia had cheated on him with another of Amy's boy crushes but at least she knew it was wrong though she didn't feel particularly bad about it then and again. Amy had only started liking a guy again and once Julia had taken him away she knew it was inevitable, that it wasn't her fault if a guy began to like Julia over and her and let it slide. But Julia heard her cries at night and was certain that she'd never love a guy again after a meeting with another guy similar to the first whom she had secretly set up with was refused. "How's your career going?"

"Fine." He replied. "I'm more fit and it's all thanks to you."

"Of course." She replied, obviously bored and then said she had to go to elude her boredness as talking with David on the phone was a lot more boring but she knew it couldn't be helped, after all, Canada and Mertan is a pretty far distance away from another.

"And I still owe you for that. Anything you want, just call me." he said at the end and Julia hung up, rolling her beautifully set almond eyes framed with her long, thick eyelashes.Another conversation about Amy and I am going to have to shoot myself on the foot.


"I'm still hungry!" pleaded Victoria after she had eaten all the crepes and cakes and everything evident. Amy hadn't even gotten to eat hers yet as she waited to eat the leftovers to bad there was none absent.

"Of course..." said Julia groaning. "You need to stop eating. Let's face it your fat-"

"HEY—"Amy said angrily. "Now that's enough!"

"What?" Mary said to Victoria after hearing her mumble and she flashed her smile again and quickly forgot what had just been said.

"I got it." said Amy. "I heard there's this new restaurant around here or something. There's 50 percent off on all foods for two weeks only to advertise. Want to go?"

"Sure." The others replied and Victoria punched the air excitedly. "Yay yay Mary!"

"Yay! Food!"

"Fat." Added Julia and Victoria eyed her.

"STOP!" yelled Amy and Victoria mumbled under her breath again as Mary and Arena exchanged glances. "Come on before it gets packed."


Siwon stood on a garbage bin as the other members held onto his feet and the others his thigh as he reached for the apples belonging to the lime green leaved tree that didn't halt continuously pocking his face with the end of its tips as he tried to ignore them with thoughts of only a morsel being devoured in the insides of his mouth. He had been volunteered because of his height, like Eunhyuk had done to check on shin because they thought it was funny to try grabbing an apple from an apple tree which he wasn't so keen on at first but realised he hadn't a choice and climbed onto the lid that they managed to pass when searching for pennies on the ground which they failed miserly at attempting as the place of Mertan was too clean and had too much pride left as to place a can in front of them.

"Nearly... nearly..." Siwon said as he concentrated deeply until his fingers touched the apple he targeted. "Okay now don't move."

"Hey, Siwons cool again." Kangin said as he popped his heads over the gates observing in case the lady in own of the tree came out and began chasing them around with a stick.

Heechul shot a look of jealousy. "BUT IM COOLER!" he said and to somewhat 'prove' himself, climbed onto the bin beside Siwon and extended his arm to reach an apple but his short notice made the others uninformed as they watch Heechul move his body a little to forward, shaking the garbage bin and causing it to fall forward. Heechul quickly grabbed Siwon and both of them fell towards the ground, finding themselves inevitably on top of each other and the others were in need of their mobile phones to capture the moment forever and for deeds such as blackmailing.

"LADY! THE LADY! RUN!" whispered Kangin and the others got up instantly and began running as the lady somewhat similar to the 'cat lady' in the Simpsons slammed the door belonging to her back yard upon hearing the noise and screamed taunts at their escaping figures.

"GET YOUR HANDS OF MY APPLE TREE THIEFS! THIEFS! I'M GOING TO FIND OUT WHERE YOU LIVE AND I WILL KILL YOU AND YOUR CHILDREN—" she yelled and as much as they tried to ignore it they could still inevitably hear her screams from what felt like a mile away and turned a corner to conceal themselves inside the nearest corner shop they encountered.

"So what are we going to do...?" Hangeng asked, gasping for air. "Looking for money on the ground didn't help... begging for money didn't help, trying to take apples from that crazylady didn't help—"

"And if we are forced to beg for money again and get another dirty from another pedestrian I refuse." Said Siwon, his hands raised.

"I want to steam pumpkins." Sungmin said randomly gripping his stomach and the others knew this wasn't the time to be discussing food. It all still felt like a dream.

"What do we do...?" said Ryeowook. "I'm so hungry..." and the elder boys looked at each other helplessly, they felt like they had failed a significant duty as they felt it their responsibility to look after the youngest and since Sungmin and Ryeowook were hungry they felt it their duty to feed them, give them food. But yet they had failed again, they were starving and the person in charge of this cruel prank seemed merciless at this point. How could they forgive themselves?

"No no no." Heechul said suddenly. "I'm the leader right? I always have an exception. Sure we don't have maknae here but... lets just say I got this covered."

"What are you thinking Heechul?" said the others curiously.

"You are hungry are you not?" he said. "Then I shall find you an area to eat."

"But how?" they questioned. "Where?"

"In a restaurant of course." And the others being too hungry to use their brains or to care of the consequences followed him into a 50 percent off all food restaurant and they couldn't believe their luck.

"your going to take us here Heechul?" said Kangin surprised and Heechul nodded and they were welcomed to a table and seated comfortably across the girls, two tables away as the table in front blocked their sight and went by unnoticed.

"So what would you like?" asked the waiter, a pen and paper in front as she readied herself to take down their wants.

"A cheap bowl of your pork." Said Heechul. "A very cheap bowl."

"So pork?" said the lady and he nodded.

"Cheap though."
"Sorry sir there is no 'cheap' pork." She replied but Heechul wasn't going down without a fight.

"No cheap pork? Just get a very bad pig and just give it to us to eat." He replied and the lady looked at him like he was stupid.

"So pork?" she said hesitantly and Heechul just nodded.

"Yes cheap pork." He replied and the lady groaned and wrote down 'pork' and went off to give the orders to the chief.

"Well that went well." Heechul said and the others groaned.

After they were all each served and all finished and Heechul checked to see if all the waiters and chief were distracted he eyed them suspiciously.

"Okay, I'm full..." said Sungmin happily.

"RUN!" Heechul loudly yelled and got up and began running out the shop and at this the others nearly got a heart attack and the others, getting up from their chair because Heechul got up and running out the store because Heechul did, ran as fast as their legs could carry them. "RUN RUN RUN RUN!" screamed Heechul frantically.

"You are so loud!" Hangeng yelled and smacked him on the head as he neared him.

"THIEFS THIEFS THIEFS THIEFS!" yelled the lady and began chasing him, but the lady was too slow for their fit builds and when they had reached a dumpster, they relaxed against the wall, flies flying on their faces but at this point they didn't care.


"Wow!" said Arena. "Did you see that these six men just ran out the shop without paying...! Jaejoong would NEVER do that!"

Julia snorted and Victoria huddled against Mary. "Thieves..."

Amy sook her head. "Their not thieves... they're survivors. Stuff like this rarely happens anyway, isn't it suspicious? They were probably starving."

"So can we search for teddy now?" said Victoria after a silence.

"Its too late... it's too dark and everyone's leaving. Besides they are not picking up the rubbish to three days later." Replied Amy.

"Pweaseeeeeeeeeeeee." She cried and gave her 'the puppy dog' look.

"No." Amy replied hesitantly, yawning. "Sorry. Tomorrow okay?" and Victoria groaned oblivious of what destiny had in store.

"HEECHUL ARE YOU CRAZY?" they yelled. "What were you thinking STEALING? Most of us are Christians how could you do that? Just because your an atheist doesn't mean—"

"I HAD to do what I HAD to do." Heechul said his tone final. "Realise that we have to do what we can to survive and just starving is not going to help us survive."

"But—" argued Siwon.

"ARE YOU FULL?" he pointed to Ryeowook then Sungmin. "ARE YOU FULL?" he asked Donghae and Siwon didn't even have a chance to reply. "ARE YOU FULL?"

"Heechul that's not—"

"We don't have a CHOICE anymore." Argued Heechul. "How did you expect to find food then huh? BEG?"

"LISTEN!" yelled Siwon. "If I had known that you were going to have done that I wouldn't have done it. I would have chosen to starve!" and the others nodded.

"Okay fine." Said Heechul. "I claim what I've done reasonable. And since you don't. I guess we should go our separate ways and find food for ourselves in our own methods."

The others looked astonished. "Heech—"

Heechul turned his head away. "It's for the best."

Siwon sighed. "I guess super junior is no more...?"

"I guess it isn't. Who wants to live come with me. Who wants to starve and die go with Siwon."

"Heechul... don't do this..." Hangeng said shedding crying and Donghaes eyes made its own watery shield.

Siwon shook his head. "If that's what it means to be in super junior... then I don't want to be in It." and the others followed him and walked away to disappear from view.


AUTHORS NOTE: HAH KIDDING


"WAIT!" Heechul yelled and the others turned around hopefully. "Then I've forgotten the meaning." and he ran to them in a chorus of hugs.

"We'll stay here for the night." Kangin said without a choice.

"But it's gross..." complained Sungmin.

"But it's warm." Replied Kangin composed and they huddled up against each other.

A long silence followed and each wondered what the rest of the members in America where doing and if they were having fun and longed to be reunited with them. "COME OUT NOW!" yelled Hangeng suddenly getting up from he ground unable to see his friends in pain anymore as their eyes began to close and screamed out at the top of his lungs. "COME OUT NOW! DO YOU HEAR ME? COME OUT NOW!" And after his voice chocked and received no reply, let out a tear a reunited himself with his friends. Please... come out now.