Chapter Thirteen

Lost In Mertan

 

Loud flashy music filled the local shopping centre hallways, as a lanky guy in a bow tie wearing rather jazzy shoes whom they were trying to advertise, kicked his feet about in an oddly manner. The business man looked very bored. "when will this guy stop?" he said and looked at his business partner who just shrugged and looked horrified. "ah, great, finally!" he said and the lanky man said quickly and almost indifferently, with what was supposed to be an enthusiastic yell to conclude the performance: "makesyouwanttodance."

The music stopped and the business man still looked very board. There was a pause. "NEXT!" and the auditions continued, each of the passing audience, the pedestrians, the walkers, whatever giving them disgusted glances at their 'embarrasing' clothes worn and their behaviour. Was it possible that someone could embarrass themselves that much?

And so the auditions passed by, each got worse and worse by the minute to the extent where it reached a lady with an incredibly large bucktooth with the resemblance of a beaver and the business man groaned. "are you trying to embarrass me...? and yourself...? NEXT." And when she went off crying he walked over to her and placed his hands on her shoulder and said. "sorry hunny, its for the beast, im only doing whats right. And here, have some cash to pay to get those hideous front teeth off, you can't see half of your face with those."

She ran off crying and the business man was to depressed to give a dman, they've been helding auditions since 7am, and it wsa now 4pm and they still hadn't found a perfect candidate.

A woman with a terribly huge afro then went on stage and the business man groaned. "you know what? Next." He said ushering her away and then collapsed onto his chair, groaning.

"I guess thats a cut! Take a break everyone!" yelled the female business assistant and walked over to the business man who was already being served with cold drinks and snacks which he refused with a sulky expression.

"don't worry Sam, I'm sure there has to be someone who has talent around here, I mean its a small city but there are still lots of people."

He snorted. "hah, its been 9 hours and we haven't found anyone! Maybe we should jsut pack up and leave..." he sighed. "its all my fault anyway, I shouldn't have chosen a quiet town like this. I was wrong to think that I could make this little town something more than just a little town. I wanted to make this perfect town known, but I guess they are too perfect for a guy like me and I guess there too perfect for a world such as ours. Which is probably why nobody knows of them, they're not even put on the world map for—""

"you were just trying to be considerate..." consoled the business partner. "I think what you did was very..." she flashed a smile and added in a y voice. "heroic..."

"nows not the time." He said nervously then said out of anger. "this could be a JUMP in my career, no body remembers my name, this was my last given opportunity to do GREAT, and why did I have to overdo it and choose a town like this? They need the advertisement finished by tomorrow, and we can't go to another time by then and ask for an extension. We're also to poor to pay for our next flight to the united states... the united states... not like we'll make it in time anyway."

"aww..." she said rubbing his back. "Sammy..."

"we'll be up in 5 minutes." Said the camera man and he groaned again.

"just my luck." He said and checked the time. "come on, we have till nine to search for a candidate, you all know how hard we've worked till now, we hae 5 hours left at the most. Let's do this!"

After work they had all decided to go late night shopping at the local shopping centre, which was probably the biggest market place they had, sort of like westfields, but much bigger but defiantly not as big as the city, though mertain is a city. Each of them had different goals in buying items, most of the boys wanted to buy clothes since they couldn't stand wearing amys brothers boring, disgrace to the name of fashion clothes more than once and heechul wanted to not only buy clothes for himself but fabric for mr pinky too, and people like sungmin and amy wanted to go into the enterainment section to buy toys and games and ryeowook to buy videos as the other girls searched for clothes, make up and accessories, the cliché type though Julia was also keen for the bookshop, which the girls would rather much avoid.

Julia was indeed pretty, prettier than amy I'll add, and most guys that amy feel had a strong interest in or began to like, she had this urge to take them away from her, though amy wasn't the type that would fall in and out of love, she was the type to remain cool and composed and she hadn't really 'fallen' for a guy yet (cough cough, one guy but he happened to be a doushe), just simple crushes, but simple crushes lead to bigger things, and Julia couldn't stand amy appearing bigger then she was, and not in that way in the terms of weight, but... she always felt inferior towards her, especially in high school, at times amy would beat Julia in a test without even studying, which would tick her off an immense degree as she spent on night and her personality was much more welcoming and gave off a much more 'nicer' ambiance then her usual hello, but she thought it unique and everyone did too, the boys thought of her as 'mysterious' and 'different' in a way that her tastes differ from the average female sort, but not lacking that feminity. She was also more gentle and had interests that weren't for show, she loved animals and nature and loved all living creatures, treating each the same, but one look for her, one example was the super junior members beside the rubbish can with ruggard beards and long hair and flys swarming around them, with their ragged clothes made Julia want to stay away.

"hey..." said sungmin to amy, smiling. "I heard you want to buy toys..."

"yea." She replied. "like games, what are you buying?"

"games too." He said. "want to go together? You can show me around."
"sure." She replied and began walking with him but then the presence of ulia behind, who reached out her hand and grabbed amys shoulder scared her and she turned around to see who it was.

"JULIA!" she screamed, sighing a breath of relief. "its you!"

"of course its me. Who else?" she said. "mine if I come?"

Amy smiled. "su—"

"oh wait." Julia said her face had a 'oh...' expression. "of course... you two have a lovely day.

"what?" said amy, her eyes raised in confusion. "no Julia if you want to come..."

"no—no!" she said. "its cool, its fine. You can go."

"alright." Said amy peculiarly and then waved. "bye."

"is she okay?" said sungmin worried.

Amy looked behind her and saw her figure disappear. "yea, I think she is."

When they had arrived at the toy shop, which sungmin couldn't help jumping about when seeing the plush toys and the cards and the little game devices, amy sought around for neopet cards.

"aren't you abit too old to be playing neopts?" said sungmin.

"and aren't you abit too OLD to be carrying unicorn heads on a stick." She retorted and he laughed.

"neopets is... the best game ever." She replied, searching.

"is it this?" he asked.

"no." She replied as he handed her a bear.

"I'm looking for bruce. This penguin thing. Just search for a penguin." She asked and he turned around to her and passed her a dolphin.

"no..." she said. "no where close, I have flotsam at home already."

"this?" he said and she turned around hesistantly as he showed her a poogle.

"I have that at home already, okay tell me honestly. Do you know what a penguin looks like?" she asked.

"um like me?" he said and widened his foxy eyes to a puppy like face.

She groaned and turned her back on him, concealing a smile.

"ah!" he said. "this?"

"no sungmin." She said and he placed a hat on her head and she turned around quickly only to find sungmins face so close to hers it wasn't funny.

Her eyes widened out of shook and she backed away.

There was a pause.

"this?" he said picking up a scarf and she yelled. "NO SUNGMIN!"

"amy...?" said mary.

"MARY!" hse yelled. "hey? What are you doing there alone, it thought you went with the others."

"I did, then I found myself here. Do you know where you can buy bruce?"
I laughed. "haha, how funny, I was... 'we' were looking for the same thing."
"this?" he said picking up a tennis ball and offering to her.

"DOES THAT LOOK LIKE A PENGUIN TO YOU?" she said and he just smiled at her.

"yes." He replied and amy felt like hitting him. "mary! come join us."

And she walked over to them and smiled.

"mr pinky..." said heechul to the stuffed toy. "what fabric would you like? Oh wait, don't tell..." he said and placed his finger to mr pinkys lips. "you want pink right?"

"are you seriously talking to a stuffed toy?" said hang geng. "and why do I have to come?" he said almost pleading.

"because pinky needs your help." He replied. "don't you pinky..."

"he already has enough help all im doing is watching!" he replied.

"shhh..." said heechul and placed his fingers on hang gengs lips. "mr pinky needs to decide..." then he turned to mr pinky. "you're like me you knpw? Everything looks good on me."

"did you realise?" said kangin. "all the clothes they have on sale are hideously dorky?"

The members of super junior were exposed to a lot of plain blouses with ties, and bows, and formal black pants, and tuxedos, scarves, coloured t shirts without any design imprinted on the front or anything, shoes out of fashion twenty years ago and woollen jumpers that back in korea, grandmas wore.

"we need to get out of here!" said donghae and they ran out and went passed shops, exactly like the others, but worse! DUN DUN DUN.

"NO NO NO NO NO!" they said and kangin stopped them. "you know what would be fun?" he said.

"no." They said. "leaving?"
"besides that." He said and he raised his eyebrows evilly.

"ahhh..." they said.

"what is he talking about?" whispered donghae to siwon.

"does it look like I know?" he replied.

"you ave no idea what im talking about do you?" he said. "I was joking. But I do have an idea." He raised his eyebrows evily to them. "if you know what I mean."

"ahh..." they said even more confused.

"STOP IT!" kangin yelled.

The girls walked around the stores, their hands already packed with cosmetic goods, from lip gloss, to body butter.

"and who are these for?" said Julia.

"for amys birthday." Said Victoria.

"oh..." she said.

"don't tell me you forgot." Said vic.

"no..." Julia said. "no of course not."

"you forgot didn't you?" asked vic.

Julia was determined to change the subject. "but dosen't she hate cosmetics and hair products and stuff?"

"shes going to turn seventeen, there a time for change." Said arena. "theres times were shes going to be needing things like this and shes going to thank us. Especially when she gets a boyfriend."

Julia tried to hide her sad expression. "amy and a boyfriend?" she said. "never. She dosen't want one either."

"but by the looks of it, amy and sungmin might have a 'thing'." Said arena.

"what 'thing?'" said Julia incredulousy.

"well the way there always talking to each other and—"

"thats what friends do." She replied and the others looked at each other than her.

"wait... you don't like sungmin do you?" they asked.

"no way!" she said. "you said it right, they have a 'thing' why would I wreck it for them?"

Arena and victoria looked at each other nervously. "Julia..." said arena. "if you do take sungmin however... I'm not going to lie, this isn't the first itme you've taken something from her... or the second... or the third..."

"are you saying that im a bad friend?" she interrogated and turned rapidly towards her, glowering.

"no! Julia!" she replied. "of course not. Your a great friend."

"we'll whats with me taking everything away from her?" she asked and the others looked at each other.

"nothing..." they replied.

"exactly." Julia retorted and after the atmosphere became awkward she walked away.

Ryeowook was examining movies to watch and stopped upon a romance film and observed it, he was a floor up from others and alone but he didn't mind. After purchasing it, he went out of the store and walked around, halting his movements when he saw a colourful stage with cameras, and a man and a woman with serious business outfits an expression that showed that they were terribly board. He walked towards it curiously, and was exposed to a catchy jingle and then a man in black and white with fancy shoes dancing so awful that it was a crime. Ryeowook had a fair share of being super juniors worst dancer before they debuted with the exception of kangin but this was just too far, almost a joke. Then he waited and then at the end of the performance he yelled, with a star jump. "MAKES! YOU! WANT! TO! DANCE!" with a voice that could be compared to a psychopathic antagonist with a long tongue, don't ask why I said the long tongue.

And as soon as the man yelled "DANCE!" the business man yelled "NEXT!" and then called for a break. Ryeowook looked at the stage, he wondered how it was like dancing and singing infront of thousands of fans on a stage even bigger that the one before him, and he couldn't help but overhere the business mans conversation with his assistant who he was literally ranting and raging about how talentless the people of mertain are.

"this commercial is going to be SHOWN TO THE WHOLE WORD even parts of ASIA and yet... if only I didn't have so much expectations, that i wasn't so considerate, that I didn't want to be original..."

Upon realising what he had said, ryeowooks eyes widened, parts of asia... korea? he thought, if it was going to be broadcasted to the whole world... and he was sure he danced better than that last performance by atleast miles, then they will probably find out that they didn't land in Australia but a city called 'mertain' which was also being advertised in the quote 'thanks to mertain...'. So then maybe if servant webstar or master gemini saw this and had enough common sense they would be able to report it and look for them in 'mertain'.

He ran to the business man whom was freshening up and asked, almost scaring him: "will this be broadcasted to korea?"

"of course." He replied. "why? Do you want to try out for the commercial?"

"um..." he thought to himself.

"we'll atleast your better looking then the people auditioning." He shivered. "trying to make my commercial a joke. Hey you know what kid? If you try out and make it in, then I'll let put in the commericial somewhere you name or something, a word? A short sentence? Anything."

"REALLY?" he said. "what is the maximum people who are allowed to audition?"

"8 to the least. Any more than that. Can't fit."

"okay, save me a spot." He said and he ran to find the other super junior members. After 30 minutes of tiredless search, his face drenched with sweat he was able to reunite the rest of super junior and the girls and said to them gasping.

"I think... I think we have a chance to go back to kroea!" he said.

"what?" they replied. "how?"

"they are doing this advertisement, broadcasted to the world, I asked if its broadcasted to kroea, they said yes. They said if I tried out they'll put like a short sentence up on the commerical somewhere that I want."

They looked astonished. "this is great! Well done ryewook!" and they ruffled his hair and ran up the next level and asked if they could audition.

"hmmm... finally." They said. "handsome boys what we need. Funny because you are the only ones that dress like human beings."
"that reminds me." Said kangin to amy. "how the hell do you buy the clothes your wearing? The clothe shops were gross!"

"ebay." She replied. "most people in mertain don't use computers to communicate with the outside world, they socialise, but not with other countrys, thats why arenas considered an abnormalty. They have TV though. Arena has a cousin in America, she tells her about this stuff. Not about the mobile phones though."

They laughed nervously.

"here get dressed in these snazzy grey clothes and wear these shoes."

"are these the shoes we are advertising?" asked siwon.

"yes." He replied.

"so what do we do?" said kangin.

"dance around on stage! Have fun! I'll tone on some music and we'll see how this goes!"

After they had finished changing, they walked on the stage, those being of Hang Geng, Heechul, Siwon, Donghae, Kangin, Ryeowook and Sungmin.

As soon as the music blasted some tones they ended up with in synce movements, pop and locking, seriously professional stuff, arena went literally crazy screaming at everything and the girls droped their jaws.

"GREAT!" yelled the business man after they finished and he shook each hand along with the assistant. "YOU ARE CHOSEN! GREAT GREAT! EVEN THE LAST SENTENCE... POWERFUL! FLUENT ENGLISH YOU ARE GREAT. GREAT GREAT. AMAZING. BRILLIANT! THIS IS GOING TO BE A GREAT RISE IN MY REPUTATION!" he opened his arms wide for his assistant and she jumped on him. "we did it baby." He said and twirled her around in circles, then gave the tape to the photographer "do your work good buddy" and the rest of the super junior members smiled to themselves.

"we did do good..." they replied bear hugging each other than the girls, all besides arena who was looked like she was about to them.

"GIVE ME A HUG!" they yelled to the girls and when arena ran to them they moved away. "not you."

And after they had finished, the business man asked them what message that they would like to appear on the commercial though he said it was going to be small but they didn't mind. (sos)

Afterwards arena walked up to the boys and said. "haha, how funny, you can speak Korean and you can dance! and I bet you can sing and play instrutments... its like you are Korean popstars! Funny aye?" she said nervously and the laughed nervously just the same, giving each other 'we need to kill her' glances.

At the end of the day however, they considered it perfect, not only were they closer to being rescued and returned to korea, but amy and mary had brought their bruce toy, and sungmin the hat he placed on amys head, and ryeowook had brought that movie and the kangin, siwon and donghae had their fun while heechul brought mr pinky some fabric and hang geng some clothes, vicotira and arena had brought amys birthday present, another item ticked off their needed things list and Julia had figured just what to get her hands packed in bags of books, and some make up for herself. Best of all, to conclude it, not only were they going to appear on tv worldwide, but they were convinced that they were good enough now to be on tv. Oh, and how I could I forget, they each received a pair of free jazzy shoes, calculated to 500 dollars each which they wore home.


The photographer walked home at 10 pm to the dark parking lot, his glasses reflecting shadows he walked towards his car and was about to open the door. But then a shadow appeared from behind and tackled him to the ground and punched his skull. He laid unconscious and the person took the tape from inside his sweaty palms, making sure it was the right one which it was they ran away from sight into the blackness.