Group One (Part Four)

Experiment 113: Sanity

Sungjong and Myungsoo sat silently in the barricaded room – holding their breath as they felt the ground tremble and the beastly roar echo through the room, holding their breath as they heard the monster heading up the stairs. They could head the dull thud of the monster crashing into a door, echo through the halls of the mansion and they knew for the time being they were safe from whatever was out there.

“Myungsoo, do you think we can get out of here alive?” whispered Sungjong.

Myungsoo shrugged, avoiding the younger male’s gaze, “I don’t know Sungjong, I don’t know anymore. Our possibility of getting out alive was pretty high before – or so I believed, but now that we have something new to deal with – I don’t know anymore.”

Sungjong hummed, crawling ever so closer to the door that leads into the kitchen. They fell back into silence as they heard the loud thud from the floor above as whatever the beast was throwing itself against crumbled down. Sungjong flinched and pressed himself ever closer to the barricaded door.

“Were you and Sungyeol really close?” questioned Myungsoo, “I know you’re brothers and all, but I as just wondering – there are a few people I know that aren’t close to their siblings.”

Sungjong smiled, “He was all I had other than my aunt and cousin, Hoya. We lost our father when we were younger and just six or so months ago we lost our mother. Sungyeol was the only relative I really had left and due to him being eighteen; he got custody over me and we got the rights to the house since our mother left it to us in her will.”

Myungsoo sat silently, listening to the younger – seeing that the younger needed someone to talk to.

“Our father passed away when I was little, I never really knew him,” stated Sungjong, pulling his knees closer to his chest and laying his head against the wall, “So, growing up, Sungyeol was the perfect big brother in my eyes – he made sure he did things with me that our dad had previously done with him – taught him how to do. He protected me – he sacrificed a lot for me and I was always so ungrateful when I was younger. I was always so demanding and spoiled, but he put up with it – he did what I wanted to do. He put me first.”

Myungsoo hummed to signal that he was listening as he let his heavy eyelids droop shut.

“He was a constant that I never knew I had until he was almost taken away from me in an accident when we were younger,” stated Sungjong, “I felt horribly guilty when we were younger because of it – because of me he had become paralyzed.  When he recovered, that feeling disappeared. However, it reappeared when our umma passed away, because Sungyeol had to give up part of his social life to get a job – to help take over our mother’s café, to pay for the bills so that I wouldn’t have to worry about getting a job. Again I felt guilty, since he had to give something up because of me. Then he gave himself up for me – to protect me, this time the guilt is eating me up.”

Myungsoo looked at the sixteen year old who looked like he was about to cry.

“Sungyeol has always done so much for me and now, I will never get the chance to pay him back – to thank him,” whispered Sungjong, “because he’s gone now.”

Myungsoo stared at the younger in shock, not really sure about how to comfort the male, “Sungjong, knowing that you’re safe is probably enough for Sungyeol – he’s probably just happy it was him and not you. Also, you don’t know if he’s gone or not…He could still be alive.”

Sungjong scoffed at the older male, “I doubt that after you made me leave him behind.”

Myungsoo sighed, “Look, Sungjong, I’m sorry I made you leave him – but the point of him doing that was for you to get away.”

Sungjong looked at Myungsoo, “I know, I understand that it was to give us time to get away – but still, you should’ve allowed me to go back for him. You should let me go back for him – he was still alive.”

“Sungjong, I can’t do that,” stated Myungsoo, “If it was like it was before then I probably would go back with you, but we can’t go back there – not with that beast roaming the halls now. If we make one slip up we could very well be screwing the other ten over.”

Sungjong sighed, opening his mouth; however, nothing came out since he really didn’t have a response – he couldn’t think of one.

“Do you understand now?” questioned Myungsoo, “Our actions now not only affect us, but affect all the other people trapped in this hell house with us, so from here on out – we have to think smart.”

Sungjong hummed in response, settling for silence again as he sat by the door leading into the kitchen – as he sat there, he heard muffled voices coming from the other side of the door, automatically causing him to perk up and listen closely.

He felt relief flood through his veins as he heard an all too familiar voice alongside some ruffling – as if someone was barricading the door, well a door. Sungjong jumped up onto his feet, working on disassembling the barricade he and Myungsoo had worked hard to put up.

“What are you doing?” questioned Myungsoo, “Didn’t you hear a word you just said?”

“I heard you loud and clear,” stated Sungjong, “However, there are others in the room next to us –people like us.”

“How can you be so sure, what if they are insane?” questioned the elder male.

“I know they aren’t,” stated Sungjong, “I heard them barricading the door they came through.”

“How do you know they aren’t going to kill us?” questioned Myungsoo.

“I know because I heard my cousin’s voice,” growled Sungjong, “Now help me open this door or I’ll leave you alone and purposely make you break your promise to Sungyeol.”

Myungsoo looked at Sungjong in shock, before sighing and getting to work on disassembling the barricade. As soon as they could access the door, Sungjong swung it open and looked into the room – looking around for the person he knew was there.

 “I don’t see anyone here, Sungjong,” whispered Myungsoo, as if triggering some sort of reaction, someone jumped out from behind the other side of the island, running straight for the younger.

Myungsoo, catching the movement before Sungjong, grabbed the younger’s forearm and put himself between the charging person and the younger male he had promised to protect. However, when Sungjong’s eyes landed on the charging male, he pushed the elder male out of the way and ran to meet the other male halfway.

“Hoya!” stated Sungjong, so thankful to see his cousin.

“Sungjong, where’s Sungyeol?” questioned Hoya in concern, the worry eating up his gut.

“I-I…” whispered Sungjong, “W-We had to leave him behind in the wine cellar.”

Hoya stared at Sungjong in shock and horror, “You left Sungyeol behind?”

“It’s not like I wanted to,” stated Sungjong, his gaze landed on Myungsoo, “He made me.”

Hoya’s faced contorted into an expression of rage, “You made Sungjong leave his brother behind?”

“It wasn’t like that!” stated Myungsoo, exasperatedly, “We were getting attacked by two insane women – the women were about to find Sungjong, they were right beside where he was hiding and Sungyeol jumped out from his hiding spot and gave himself to them.”

“Why didn’t you stop him?” questioned Hoya.

Myungsoo stared at the elder male in shock, “I tried to.”

“You obviously didn’t try hard enough,” growled Hoya.

Myungsoo shook his head in disbelief, “If you were in my place during that situation, you would’ve had trouble deciding which one to help – you would’ve had problems deciding whether or not to stop Sungyeol, whether or not to let Sungjong be found, whether or not to break your promise to the one person you had been traveling with since the beginning of this nightmare. Just be happy that Sungjong is here.”

With that Myungsoo stormed into the other room – not wanting to deal with Hoya or the seemingly bipolar Sungjong anymore. He just when he had started to like Sungjong – had started to open up to the boy – but then the brat turned around and did this. Myungsoo thought that the boy had finally understood the situation that he had finally understood the decision he made and the reason why he made it, but he guessed he was wrong.

As Myungsoo plopped himself back down in the corner of the room, he frowned – did Sungjong even understand the difficult decision he had to make? He had stopped Sungyeol, but Sungyeol was too determined to protect Sungjong – even if he wanted to, he couldn’t have stopped the eighteen year old. Did they not understand that he wasn’t content with his decision as well? Did they not understand that he regretted leaving Sungyeol behind as well? Did they not understand he was heartbroken about leaving the male he had formed a silent bond with behind? Did they not understand he was just fulfilling his promise to Sungyeol?

Myungsoo peered at Sungjong as he hugged his cousin happily, leading the said male and his groupmates into the room – where they then barricaded the door again. Myungsoo scowled at the duo that seemed to purposely sit in the opposite corner – the one diagonal from him. However, his attention was turned away from the two as the other three in the group came over to him to introduce themselves to the male.

“I’m Nam Woohyun,” stated the male who was smiling greasily towards one of the others of his group – one who Myungsoo couldn’t tell whether or not had their eyes open.

“I’m Kim Sunggyu,” stated the male, nudging Woohyun.

“I’m Jang Dongwoo,” stated the third.

Myungsoo just stared coldly at the trio, eventually sighing as he saw the three staring at him expectantly, “I’m Kim Myungsoo.”

The three hummed and collapsed onto the floor near Myungsoo, giving the two cousins time to catch up.

Sunggyu, seeing that the younger was seemingly exhausted, turned towards Myungsoo and stated, “Get some sleep, we’ll keep an eye and ear out for anything dangerous.”

Myungsoo hummed in understanding, curling up against the wall, resting his head on his knees and closing his eyes, it wasn’t the least bit comfortable but at the current point in time he was too exhausted to care.

 

 

Myungsoo stood in the wine cellar, facing a pale and bloodied Sungyeol who was dressed in deep wounds – muscle was visible to the eye in some places, terrifying Myungsoo as he peered at the male he had left behind.

“Are you really going to be leaving me behind?” questioned Sungyeol – pain written all over his features, stirring up an aching pain in Myungsoo’s chest, “Am I really dead to you?”

“Y-you told me to protect Sungjong,” whispered Myungsoo in his dream.

“I know I did, but are you really going to leave me to become one of those sickening monsters?” whispered Sungyeol, walking towards Myungsoo, his eyes filled with tears, “I thought I could trust you – depend on you. Was that bond we built up nothing to you? Did you not feel it?”

“S-Sungyeol…”

“Myungsoo, are you really going to leave me alone – are you really going allow them to make me into a monster?” whispered Sungyeol, tears forming rivulets along his cheek as he cried silently.

Myungsoo reached out to touch the trembling male’s shoulder, only to get his hand slapped away – of course it was painless, proving that it was in fact a dream.

“Are you really going to leave me to be food to that beast? To the monsters?” whispered Sungyeol, his gaze piercing Myungsoo’s own.

Myungsoo opened his mouth to speak, only to stare at the thing approaching the elder male from behind in shock – he reached out for the elder, opened his mouth to yell out in warning to the older, however, no words came out and he stood there, frozen, staring at the thing approaching the older male.

“S-Sungyeol!” cried Myungsoo as the creature grabbed ahold of the tall, frail male from behind – ripping a pain filled scream from the elder teen’s throat.

 

“S-Sungyeol!” cried Myungsoo, jolting awake, his breath coming out in pants as he looked around the room in complete fear and worry – only to calm down, seeing that he was still in what used to be the dining room with the other five.

“Are you alright Myungsoo?” questioned Sunggyu – who seemed to be the only one awake in the group other than Myungsoo, “You look like you’ve seen a ghost.”

Myungsoo shook his head, “I need to get out of here.”

“What?” whispered Sunggyu in shock.

“I need to get out of this room – I have to go look for Sungyeol,” whispered Myungsoo.

“Are you insane, you can’t travel alone,” whispered Sunggyu, grabbing ahold of Myungsoo’s forearm as the male stood up and headed towards one of the doors.

Myungsoo turned around to face Sunggyu, “I can’t stay in here in hiding while Sungyeol is out there somewhere injured. I know I should’ve gone and looked for him when the accident first happened, but I couldn’t – Sungyeol made me promise him that I’d get Sungjong to safety. I got him to safety, so now I need to go back and find Sungyeol.”

“Myungsoo-sshi,” whispered Sunggyu in shock.

“Listen, I’d rather be out there by myself looking for Sungyeol than being in here with an angry Sungjong and Hoya. I don’t want to hear any more from them about how I left Sungyeol out there to die, because I didn’t,” muttered Myungsoo.

“How are you sure he’s alive anymore?” questioned Sunggyu.

“Because, I know,” whispered Myungsoo, “Sungyeol is someone who won’t die that easily. Also, I can’t just rest normally like everyone else while I know that Sungyeol is somewhere out there.”

Sunggyu sighed but nodded in understanding, “As much as I hate to say it, I can understand where you are coming from. I’ll help you get out, but I won’t be able to cover for you. When the others wake up and see that you’re gone, they’ll question me and I’ll only be able to tell them the truth, there is no possible lie for this.”

“I know,” whispered Myungsoo, “That’s why I don’t want you to lie – I want you to tell the truth. Tell them, let them know, that I’m going out to look for Sungyeol.”

Sunggyu sighed but nodded, ing a bag into Myungsoo’s hands.

“What is this?” questioned Myungsoo, peering at the older male.

“That is what little supplies we had left – there is some disinfectant and bandages in there as well as a towel,” stated Sunggyu, “You’ll need it, I’m positive you will, which is why I’m giving it to you.”

Myungsoo nodded, but froze, “What about Sungjong? Didn’t he injure his shoulder?”

“It’s already taken care of,” responded Sunggyu, peering at the younger, “Although we don’t really know each other, take care of yourself, alright? We can only lose three people – if we lose anymore…”

The younger nodded in understanding without the older male having to finish his sentence.

“Good luck in your search, and for your sake as well as Hoya and Sungjong’s, I hope you find Sungyeol,” whispered Sunggyu, smiling towards him weakly.

Myungsoo nodded, looking towards Sunggyu, “I hope I can find him as well. Anyways, I’m going to go now, before any of them wake up.”

Sunggyu nodded in understanding, helping Myungsoo open the door that lead out into the hall – not the kitchen. Once it was open he watched in worry as the younger male ventured out into the halls on his own – as he watched the sixteen year old, he silently prayed that the male would make it to Sungyeol and that the duo would make it back to the group. He bit his lip as the male’s back vanished from his sight.

“You want to go with him don’t you?” questioned Woohyun.

Sunggyu nodded, “I can’t help but to think that I’m sending him off to his death.”

Woohyun hummed, hugging Sunggyu from behind – wrapping his arms tightly around the older’s waist, “You will be if you think that way. This has to have been the way Myungsoo felt when he saw Sungyeol reveal himself to protect Sungjong, it has to be.”

Sunggyu nodded, “Woohyun, do you think he’ll find Sungyeol?”

Woohyun shrugged, pulling the elder even closer – taking in the elders’ calming scent, closing his eyes as he spoke, “I don’t know, I really don’t know. All we can really do now is hope and pray that if there is anything out there, protecting us, that he reaches Sungyeol safely – that he finds him, alive and breathing, as a human and not some monster.”

Sunggyu hummed before whispering to nobody, “Please don’t let this be me sending him off to his death.” 

 

Double update. ^^ Hope you enjoyed the chapter. 

Do you think they are sending Sungyeol off to his death? 

Also, for those who do not know - I'm sixteen, well, I just turned sixteen on August 1, when this story started I had just turned fifteen. 

 

 

IMPORTANT:

Since most of Infinite has met up now and all of Teen Top has met up, the titles of the chapters will change to Infinite and Teen Top (since it's a hassle dealing with the titles of the groups. I hope you don't mind it. Also, since Myungsoo is now by himself - his chapters will be titled Myungsoo (obviously). I know I'm suddenly changing the format, but it's to make it easier to keep track of the chapter titles.