Chapter 21

Arranged

Arranged

21st Chapter

Donghae had to get a few papers so they could sign the adoption paper, as he went to collect them, Sooyeon tried to get to know Jeno better. 

"How old are you Jeno?" she asked with a cute voice, she learned from all the volunteering she does that using a cute voice usually worked better with shy kids

" I'm six years olds, I'm going to be seven in a two months" he answered, he had a hard time speaking Korean, according to the manager of the orphanage, he lived his first years in America and only moved to Korea seven months before he accident.

"Woah, I have a nephew who's the same age, I'm sure you'll get along" she moved a bit closer seeing that he's starting to warm up to her.

Sooyeon was glad the kid liked her, he was already shy, lost his mother recently, just met his father who he thought he was dead, he definitely didn't need an evil step-mother on his plate.

He even asked her to help him pack his stuff, his left hand was still in a cast, so he needed assistance, he even jokingly assured her that he's a big boy who can do stuff on his own.

"You look so much like your father when you smile" she remarked .

"Since you're my d... dad's wife, does that mean you're my mother ?" Sooyeon noticed how hesitant he was to call Donghae his dad, it was kind of natural though .

"Well, technically yes."

"So, do I have to call you mom ?" he looked to the ground as soon as he asked that, but Sooyeon saw tears lining his eyes. She pulled him in a hug and caressed his hair. She tried her best to tackle this sticky situation, the boy is still very young, so she didn't know how to talk about such a sensitive issue without shocking him. To her, this would forever be her first difficult parenthood moment.

"I know you miss your mom, its normal. And if you don't like calling me mom, then don't. Just know that I'm not here to replace her, no one ever will, but I will try my upmost best to be a great parent to you." she hoped her level of speech was acceptable for a six years old. Sooyeon lifted his head and wiped his tears "okay?" , he nodded his head signaling he understood her.

"You can even call me potato if you want." she added gaining laughs from him.

"I'll decide later." he responded wiping the last tear that was rolling on his cheek.

Around ten minutes later, Donghae appeared, he was still very awkward around Jeno, it was kind of endearing because he's not usually like that even towards people he doesn't know at all.

"It's all set, let's go home."

Jeno slept as soon as he got in the car, all the events of the day probably wore him out, this gave Sooyeon a moment to take care of her husband.

She his hand that was on the car gear and asked him if he was okay.

"I'm fine ... I'm just still in a daze, I never imagined something like this happening." he kept quiet for a few seconds before adding.

"And I feel so bad for Jeno, I missed six years of his life, he must hate me." For the second time that day, he started crying.

"Being a father sure makes you emotional." she joked.

"And don't worry, he doesn't hate you, he called you dad when you weren't here" 

Sooyeon was shocked to see Donghae park the car at the side of the road, but as soon as he started sobbing she understood why. That was only the second time she saw him cry so hard in all their years of marriage, the first one was around the time Dongyeon died so she wasn't mentally available to take care of him, which resulted in her not knowing what to do.

At the end, she just, took of her seatbelt and hugged him while petting his hair, something she only did an hour before to Jeno.

After his sobbing session, Donghae's hands were still shacking so Sooyeon drove them back home. Jeno was still asleep, so she told her husband to wake him up, she really wanted them to bond.

Donghae was very hesitant, he didn't share many words with the kid so they were very awkward with each other. He opened the back door, removed his seatbelt and shook him gently.

"Hey buddy, wake up, we're home ... You're finally home" And for the first time since the announcement, Donghae felt happiness instead of remorse, his son was finally home.

After a little tour of the house, Sooyeon ordered them to spend time together while she prepared dinner. Their housekeeper was so curious about why there's a kid who looks like a carbon copy of Donghae in the house, but no one explained anything, they wanted to tell their families before anyone else.

While cutting vegetables, Sooyeon started making a mental list of all the things that needed to be done, like furnishing a room for Jeno, getting him into a good school before the start of the school year ... another idea was redundant in her head, but she didn't know how Donghae would take it.

After dinner and a little bit of chatting with Jeno, the couple put him to bed, Donghae even read his son a bed time story. As they turned off the lights of the guest room and closed the door, Sooyeon signaled him that they needed to talk.

"Honey, I want you to promise first you won't be mad." she started while holding a hot cup of tea in her hands.

"How can I be mad at you? Everything that happened today just proves you're an angel, you weren't even mad about what happened."

"I don't want you to be ashamed of your past, I want you to accept it." she ran her hand in her hair before continuing.

" That's why I want you to make a list of all the women you've slept with before, and when that happened."

"Honey, I used protection all the time, there's no way I made someone pregnant."

"Oh yes, that's why your six years old son is sleeping upstairs." Donghae had to admit, she had a point, but he was just so scared of the results.

"Just write the list, we'll give it to a private detective, no judging." Donghae sighed before agreeing to do it.

Before sleeping, Donghae secretly sent a message to all the family members, he wanted to announce this alone.

He met with them around 10 a.m at his parent's house, as he didn't specify why he wanted to meet all of them, everyone stressed him to talk fast.

As soon as he explained the situation, everyone went still.

"Is this how we raised you?" his father was the first to shout.

Donghae wanted to respond that he wasn't raised much by his father since he was always so busy - a mistake he swore not to make- but he wasn't in a place to lecture his father.

"How can you do this to your wife? Is this why she's not here, is she that mad at you ?" his mother added.

"Sooyeon wants Jeno as much as I do, I'm just scared of how you'll react and I don't want her feelings to be hurt, that's why I didn't tell her we're meeting."

Some just kept quiet, some were showing their disappointement, but the people Donghae was the most grateful to were the ones that showed support.

"Is the kid going to be okay? This is probably too much for him to handle ." Boa asked

"We're looking for a good child psychiatrist to guide him through this, but he seems fine, he's a little bit shy but he's opening up." Donghae felt so much pride and happiness talking about his son, which made him realize how he got to love so much in just one day. Even if he was given the choice to relive his life, he'll still choose to have Jeno in his life.

"I know I'm in no place to be guiding you, but I love my son, there's no way I'm throwing him out, what is done is done, I was a horrible person six years ago, there's no denying it, but I also can't do anything about it. I'm sorry, I really am, but you just have to accept this. If you want to met Jeno, your grand-son, your nephew then come around for dinner tonight, if not then it's your loss" after finishing his little speech, he bowed deeply one more time and went back to work leaving his family members to think about what to do.

 

I'm so sorry about the late update, but I hope you'll like this chapter.

Who do you think will show up?

Please comment and tell me what you think?

PS: What do you think about the new layout, I missed my html days so I decided to make a little something.