Chapter 11

Arranged

Arranged

11th  Chapter

                              Most stories end with the couple confessing their love or getting married and living happily ever after, but the truth is, no matter how much two people love each other, problems still rise, not only because they’re humans and they make mistakes, but also because the environment surrounding them is not always perfect. And so our lovely couple had a few problems to deal with.

Problem number one: Her jealousy

Sooyeon tried her best not kill Yoona whenever both were in the same room, thankfully, Donghae has finally started being aware of the true nature of his secretary and is keeping his distance as much as possible. But sometimes, his kindness got into the way of pleasing his wife. Just like that one time when it was raining buckets and Yoona’s car “magically” disappeared, it wasn’t human to leave a co-worker walk in such rain so he offered her a ride since they lived close by anyway. That evil thing –as Sooyeon liked to call her- had to leave her mark of course, and the least you could say was that his wife was not pleased with finding a girl’s earring in his car.

Yoona wasn’t the only problem, with Donghae’s handsome face came a lot of admirers, some still don’t get that he changed over the years and that he isn’t the playboy he used to be.  Each time some other girl recalls a date with Donghae in front Sooyeon she turns all red with anger.

Sometimes, she lets it pass because he can’t change his past, but on other times, it’s just too much for her and she blows on him. She doesn’t wish to hear anyone talk about Donghae being lovey-dovey with someone, unless that someone is her.

Her –sometimes excessive- jealousy earned them a few fights that would usually end up with reconciliation .

Problem number two: Their meddling parents

“When are you giving us a grand-child? ”

“When are you going to have a baby? ”

“So, are you pregnant yet ?”

A question similar to these would be asked each time they met their parents, it seems like babies are all they can think of when Sooyeon and Donghae never talked seriously about the topic.

Usually they would just ignore these questions, but talking about the “baby” topic got them in a quite big media infested fight.  This leads us to:

 Problem number three: The media attention

They usually didn’t mind the media’s attention when it was about their business projects, in fact they loved it. What they didn’t love was the media turning their marriage into a project.

More pictures and articles were released about their private lives than about their new restaurant opening or the water park addition in the Busan hotel project.

Pictures of them kissing in the beach during their trip to Jeju were on the internet, going out for dinner with their parents deserved an article in a tabloid magazine. But the media attention especially peaked during November.

So how did they get in a fight big enough to be all over the media?

 

Sooyeon and Donghae were watching a movie while cuddling in a cold rainy Sunday morning when they got a call from a panicked Leeteuk telling them Taeyeon is giving birth.

They were all both excited and stressed so the memories between rushing to the hospital and everyone gathered in Taeyeon’s room gushing over Lee Mingoo’s cuteness.

All they remember was that Donghae’s mother –who came to congratulate Taeyeon on Leeteuk on the newborn- told Sooyeon who was holding Mingoo “You look so pretty with a baby on your arms, I’m getting impatient over a grandchild, when are you giving me one?”

As usual, Sooyeon pretended she didn’t hear that. Donghae on the other hand couldn’t do anything but agree with his mother, she really looked so motherly; it was the first time he felt like wanting a child.

All the way back home, he only thought about that. Seeing her husband so in the clouds alarmed Sooyeon.

“Sweety what’s wrong? You haven’t uttered a word for two hours.”

“I was just thinking” he answered absentmindedly while zapping.

“Is Dongie going to tell his pretty wife what’s he thinking about?” she asked with a cute voice, she even made a cute face when he turned to her.

“I love it when you act cutely, only for me”

“Don’t change the subject”

“I was just thinking about kids”

“Ahh! Mingoo really is cute, he looks like Taeyeon when she was a kid, he’s going to be a total noona killer later on” she kept on rambling and Mingoo’s cuteness before she got interrupted by a serious Donghae.

“What about us?”

“Hmm? I don’t understand.” She finally changed to a serious mode seeing the way he was talking.

“Don’t you want us to have children too? All I’ve been thinking about is a little Donghae or a little Jessica in our lives. I couldn’t help imagining you pregnant and me talking to your tummy, us holding our baby for the first time, feeding that baby, playing together, the baby growing up into a healthy child running  in the house and learning how to use a bike in the garden”

“I don’t know what to say”

“You… You don’t want a child?”

“I don’t know about later, but I just don’t feel like I’m ready now. I … don’t” Sooyeon quickly left the room leaving a sad Donghae in the living room.

 

An air of awkwardness mixed with coldness settled in the usually lively house that night. The next morning they barely talked to each other and went to their respective works in separate cars.

Around four pm, Donghae noticed his phone ringing; when he saw that the caller is his wife a huge smile coated his face. Maybe she changed her mind or at least she’s ready to get back to her usual self even though she doesn’t want a baby, he still loves her anyway.

“Hello sweetie, are you home yet?” he said first with a warm voice

“No, I’m in Busan now” she responded with an equally friendly voice hinting their dispute is over.

“What are you doing in Busan?”

“Idiots can’t do their work properly, as soon as I reach the office this morning I head to head to Busan in emergency. They turned my water park project into a mess”

“Stay strong babe. But, it’s already 4pm, and it’s raining outside, it’s gonna be hard to get back in such weather when it’s dark outside”

“That’s why I called you, I have to stay in Busan tonight, I’m nowhere near the end of finishing up cleaning this mess anyway, so I’ll work until I’m too tired to function and then I’ll just sleep in some room, I’m in a hotel anyway”

“I’m going to miss you tonight” he whined

“Me too hubby, take care of yourself and eat something healty”

“You too darling and don’t work too much”

At around 6pm, Donghae finally left work and headed to a restaurant nearby to have dinner.

He was reading the menu when he heard a female voice calling him.

When he looked up to the source of the voice, it was Yoona standing right next to his table.

“Oh hi boss, do you mind if we have dinner together, my friends cancelled last minute and I’m too ashamed to eat all alone in such a busy restaurant” Without waiting for his approval she seated herself next to him.

The annoyance didn’t stop there, when they finally got out, the rain was pouring way too hard.  Donghae thought of the consequences of the last time he offered Yoona a ride, but she just looked too pitiful to wait for a cab in the rain, so once again he dropped her home while planning to tell his wife about it so she doesn’t get mad that she found about him being friendly with her sworn enemy by accident.

Truth be told, he didn’t expect to see “Lee corp. heir having an affair with his secretary” in the headlines.

But he expected even less a huge “Is Jung Sooyeon cheating on her husband?” next to it.