Chapter 20

Arranged

Arranged

20th Chapter

                              "SURPRISE!!!" Sooyeon shouted as she entered her husband's office, lunch bag in her hand and a huge smile on her lips.  She finally perfected her Yukgaejang, a spicy soup with beef and vegetables and as usual, Donghae was the first to try her new dish.

"Ah, it's so good. You really got better at cooking" he complimented her while slowly eating the hot soup.

They were telling each other about what they did that morning when Donghae's office phone rang, he sadly put his spoon down and answered it.

Sooyeon was enjoying the taste of her creation, but immediately went next to her husband when she saw his shocked face.

"What's the matter?" she asked as soon as he hang up saying he'll come by to the caller.

Donghae tousled his hair in a frustrated way and heaved a sigh before answering her.

"I ... I think, I have a son . This orphanage just called saying they have my son" his voice sounded more panicked by each word he said.

"Maybe it's just another sick joke" she proposed, but the expression on his face obviously showed there might be truth to this.

"I don't think so, I knew that women ... and his age matches. Oh my god I have son!" Donghae started hyperventilating. 

Sooyeon on the other hand wasn't panicked she was just very surprised with this turn of event and didn't what to do or even think of this situation.

"Honey, breathe. Panicking won't help. Breathe in, and out" she kept commanding him like that while caressing his hands until he seemed capable of thinking correctly.

"Now tell me what happened" 

"Just before I went to the army, there was this women who was working here , and we ... um" Donghae always felt uncomfortable talking about his past actions to his wife, because he would realize even more how horrible he used to be.

"you slept together , and ?" Sooyeon was starting to have a bad headache, she was thinking of surprising him, but he ended up surprising her instead.

"And being an idiot, I ended it there, she went to America for another job and I went to the army. And then, this orphanage calls and they tell me, she just died and left behind her son, she has no family that could take him in, except me, because I'm his father."

Sooyeon was holding her head in her hands, "I need an aspirin or a drink" she got up and started pacing in the office while Donghae was just pacing in the distant. They just never thought they'd be in such a situation, so they needed time to react properly.

"Did she ever contact you after?" she asked

"Never, why wouldn't she?" 

"Well you weren't the perfect father figure then were you?" as soon as those words left , she clapped her hand on it.

"That's not what I meant, it's just that ..." she started babbling before he interrupted her.

"You're right, I wasn't that great of a man back then, but now I'm trying to ." he stood up to stand next to her.

"I know this unfair to you, but if he really is my son, I can't throw him away, I need to make up for the lost years"

"I would be the one to throw you if you reject him" she hugged him tightly.

Sure, this situation was totally surprising and many wives would get into nasty fights with their husbands if it were to occur; but she was one of the biggest preachers of "children are a blessing" and that doesn't limit itself to children she would give birth to.

This kid probably suffered enough growing up without a father with god knows what excuse of him being absent, and then having to face the death of his mother at such a young age. She wouldn't be able to live with herself if she did anything else but to pamper him and love him as if he were he own son.

"Maybe god took away Dongyeon because he already had a son for us."

Donghae on the other hand felt like such a failure, he failed his son by not even knowing he exists, failed his whole family who probably won't all be as accepting of the situation as his wife.

At the mention of Dongyeon, tears started escaping his eyes.

"Everything's going to be okay. Let's not waist anymore time, let's go meet him" She wiped his tears away and called the secretary to cancel all his afternoon meetings.

"What would I do without you?" he gratefully asked before hugging again and exiting the office.

The ride to the orphanage was calm, it was located in a nice region of the city, Sooyeon even volunteered there once, so her fear of him being mistreated there disappeared.

She held Donghae's hands as they talked to the lady in charge of the orphanage, they were shaking so much, showing how stressed he was. He was mostly quietly listening and just following Sooyeon's lead.

"We can go meet him now if you wish. We can also call a laboratory for you, for the Dna tests" the lady led them to a room, but as soon as Sooyeon saw the boy in there she told her "I doubt we'll need the test". He was a carbon copy of Donghae, and with all the dates and facts matching, she was sure that this little boy was Donghae's son.

The man was just standing by the door, tears streaming down his face. Sooyeon pushed him towards the boy who was drawing, mouthing to talk to him.

"Hello" he started with a shaky voice, the boy looked at him briefly and went back to his drawing.

"Jeno is very shy, that's why he prefers to stay alone instead of playing with the other kids" the lady added before closing the door to let them have some privacy.

Donghae got on his knees, not only to be on eye level with the 6 year old but also to apologize.

"I know you probably hate me or don't even care about me, but I do care about you. I'm sorry, I'm only appearing now. But I'll make it up to you, now that we're together ..."

"Are you my father?" the boy interrupted him.

"Yes, I am your father... I'm your father." Donghae couldn't resist and hugged the boy's tiny frame. Sooyeon couldn't help by tear at the cute reunion in front of her.

"How did you know? Did your mother show you pictures of me?"

"Yes, but I didn't know people who went to heaven could come back, so I thought you were an angel at first" 

Sooyeon was really grateful that the women opted for a "your father is dead" instead of "your father abandoned you" so he wouldn't hold grudges towards his father. They could explain the situation when he's older, but there is no way a six year old would understand that.

"Who are you?" he shyly asked her.

"This is my wife, Sooyeon " Donghae introduced her.

At that moment, Sooyeon's brain finally started gearing up, thinking of all the things she needs to do now: setting up a room, registering him into a school, introducing him to the whole family, and most of all get to know him.

"Do you want to go home with us?" she asked with a warm smile.