Chapter 18

Arranged

Arranged

18th Chapter

                             Donghae usually adored being surrounded by his loved ones, but he just hated how lately, they got together more in hospitals than in happy settings.

As soon as the doctor checked his wife, she notified him that they needed to perform an emergency c-section.

"There's a knot in the umbilical cord, and her PCOS isn't helping either. If we don't perform the surgery right now, the mother's life might be in danger too." She informed him.

"Is he going to be alright?"

"We'll have to see after the surgery, at 8 months babies are able to survive just well, but with the current condition, I don't want to give you too much hope." The stern answer of the doctor crashed his world. He understood that she has to be realistic -because in case the result isn't the one she has promised he might sue her- but in that moment, when his family still hasn't arrived yet, he just wanted someone to tell him 'Everything is going to be fine, they're both going to make it'

His family started arriving one by one a few minutes later, most were panicked, a few were crying, and all wore grim expressions. And just like a little boy, Donghae hugged his mother and started crying.

He just couldn't imagine how he could live if Donghyun doesn't make it, or something goes wrong during the surgery and he loses his wife.

After what seemed like forever, the doctor finally exited the operation room and came to deliver the news. 

"Mrs. Jung Sooyeon is stable now, she's in her room, but she'll be unconscious for a while because of the anesthesia" 

"H...How about our little Donghyun" Mr. Jung hesitantly asked about his grandchild.

"I'm sorry, but there was nothing we could do."

Donghae couldn't move, while all the people around him were crying, moving, his poor mother in law even fainting from the shock,or some just listening to the doctors' explanations, he could do nothing but stay rooted to his spot.

Ten minutes later,he heard someone screaming "This is not happening" only to find it was his own voice. He started sobbing, never in his life had he cried this hard or this much. This was by far, the hardest day of his life; and he wished nothing similar would ever happen to him.

"What am I gonna do? What are we going to do? My Sooyeon ... she's going to go crazy when we tell her..." he was talking to his own self, totally ignoring his best friend hugging him.

He didn't know how much time passed, but someone managed to make him sit on a chair, and he was listening to his brother-in-law's instructions.

"Sooyeon is going to wake up in four or five hours, by then, I need you to stop crying and be strong for her."

"I can't ... I just can't" he shook his head with his eyes rooted to the ground.

"You have to" insisted Yunho while rubbing his eyes -that were so puffy from crying-

"First change those clothes, she's gonna be hysteric if she sees blood on them."

"I don't think that's going to matter much, our son just died. I didn't carry him for eight months, spent countless hours alone with him, or felt every single move he made and I'm having a mental breakdown. Sooyeon's ... she's just so fragile... I don't know how we can make it through this hyung.." he managed to express his emotions through his sobs.

"We're all here for you, we'll hire the best therapist to assist us through this hardship. But the person Sooyeon will need the most is you."

"I know, but I just can't.... " he suddenly stopped talking as a nurse was passing by holding a newborn, probably taking him to his mother's room.

Yunho expected him to launch into a new sobbing match, but instead, he was met by a determined face.

"I will try my best to make Sooyeon happy again, but just give me these few hours before she wakes up to mourn, can you?" Yunho's started getting teary, afraid that his voice will betray him and turn into a shaky crying voice, he just nodded and patted Donghae's shoulder. He got off the seat as he saw Donghae's mother approaching.

"Are you feeling better now?" he courteously asked as she had fainted earlier.

"My health is fine, but my heart feels so stuffy. Such dark times for our family" Yunho could only nod at the emotional lady, he bowed and rushed somewhere else; Jung Yunho hates crying in public.

Donghae turned his head as he felt his mother hug him.

"Let it all out son"

"Why is this happening to us mother, Why?"

The lady couldn't answer and only listened to her son who was trying his best to let all sad feelings out before his wife woke up.

Sooyeon woke up at night, at first she was still too buzzed by the anesthesia to notice everyone was avoiding answering her questions about what was happening. They were waiting for  the therapist to come and drop the bomb. As he arrived, everyone left the room, they couldn't stand seeing her reaction, only Donghae stayed, he had to be there for her; that's what husbands are for.

And just as he expected, she started crying hysterically, the doctor eventually had to give her a shot to calm her down.

As he was leaving,he suggested some therapy plans that could be done before the funeral.

He said some parents got through the emotional shock better by interacting with their still born, some bathed their babies, other sang lullabies or read books. But they didn't try any of that, the funeral that was held a week later was painful enough.

It was also the day of Sooyeon's discharge as she has recovered physically. The funeral was a simple, private ceremony, a very painful one too. Donghae who stayed strong and didn't shed any tear since Sooyeon woke up, couldn't help but cry that day.

The car ride back to their home was silent, no music playing, no conversation, both were too immersed in their thoughts and depression.

Even when they arrived home, she barely talked and answered with just a yes or no. Instead of the constant crying in the hospital, she was worringly calm.

The doctor advised for family and friends to always be around, so Sunggyu and Eunji came to their house during the afternoon to watch a movie. They made sure to choose a movie without a single child in it as Sooyeon became too sensible towards them. She even stopped talking to all of her friends who have kids as 'the couldn't understand her when they have their cute kids to return to at home while her son died' , she wouldn't even look at Taeyeon her best-friend.

But even with all the effort, Sooyeon was still severely depressed.

At first, Donghae tried his best to stay at home to watch over her. He witnessed many of her crying matches, where she would sneak in the nursery room and just have a break down.

However, he couldn't neglect his work for too long, so their mothers were the one to stay with her all day long. They tried taking her out of the house,made her do her favorite activities, but they got nothing.

The results of the therapy and family help only started showing a month later, she started talking to her best-friend again, paying more attention to her surroundings, and enjoying slowly things she used to enjoy.

They were in bed, her reading a book her therapist advised while he was her hair and reading a sentence or two of her book.

"If staying in this house is too painful for you, we can move out you know" he thought of that for a long time, being in the place where she lived most of her pregnancy memories, where a room was still full of stuff meant for their son to use brought so many memories. To him, those memories brought a feeling of sadness and happiness at the same time, he was happy he lived those memories, but he wished they weren't only memories. He wasn't too sure how she felt about it as she hasn't been expressing her feelings as much as she used in the past.

"Instead of erasing the memories of our Dongyeon, I'd rather cherish them and keep thinking of them happily" And for the first time since the disaster she smiled.

"And while we're speaking of the future, I can't just stay at home doing nothing" She sat up with her back leaning on the backboard and he did the same so he oculd fully listen to her plans.

"I'm not focused enough to go back to work, so I want to do some charity. There are a few children organizations I'm interested in... and If it's okay with you, I want to donate most of Dongyeon's stuff. There are other people who need it, but I want to keep the plushies."

"I'm so proud of you" he lovingly kissed her forehead. He never felt such a tremendous progress before that night.

"And Donghae, thank you, if it weren't for you, I would've probably killed myself"

"I just want you to be happy, I love you so much"

"I love you too"

Her improvement stimulated Donghae to try to make her happy even more, whether it was shopping or going to disney land, he did everything.

"We need to post on our instagram again, our followers must be worried" she said while they were attending the opening ceremony of their joint project.

It was an important day not only for their business, but for their mental health too as they were planning to bring their son to the opening of the project that got them together in the first place.


Thank you for your concern, we're doing much better now

As he scrolled through their old posts, he noticed how different their expression were, they were so much happier before.

"We need to get through this, let's be happier" he said to himself.

Sooyeon was trying her best to socialize at her first party after the incident, she noticed she had lost her spunk. She's not as lively as she used to. And so, she promised herself to be happier too.