Chapter 2

Arranged

Arranged

2nd Chapter

              The two friends looked at her as if she’s crazy and ended up laughing at her. Holding a big box in her hand that could be used as a weapon, Sooyeon told Yoona “Let’s not be delusional sweetheart, now it’ll be very nice if you went away. We have more important things to do then listen to your dreams”

Yoona scoffed at them “I’m not even going too…. Ugh” . Groining loudly, she disappeared as fast as she appeared.  

Rolling their eyes in sync, the two friends continued looking for the perfect gifts for their beloved ones.

                Christmas passed quickly and it was already the 31st of December, just like all the chaebols of Seoul, Donghae and Sooyeon were invited to the huge New Year party held by Samsung. It was their first official outing as a couple, so they had to be very careful, their family has an image that needs to be kept well by giving a good impression for people. The public doesn’t only want the good quality of their products; they also want to know all the little details of their private life. And although they aren’t related, when a scandal occurs, it reduces their sales, and when something ‘good’ –like their marriage- comes up their sales rise. It always ticked off Sooyeon how she’s indirectly selling herself, but it’s not like she can change the mindset of all these noisy people, she just had to comply to the public’s needs as if she was some role model in the hope that it would benefit their business or at least not affect it negatively.

                For such an important night, Sooyeon made sure to look perfect, she wore a long blue Elie Saab gown with a heart shaped neck line, her hair was simply let down with soft curls here and there. What really showed her status is the jewelry, as a diamond necklace filled her neck, a similar design circling her wrists. People’s main attention was her huge engagement ring and Donghae’s hand around her waist. He too was looking very handsome wearing a simple black suit and a blue tie similar to the color of her dress.

                Behind the smiles and the ‘affectionate’ looks, not many could see the awkwardness felt by the couple. She thought her waist was burning by the touch of his hand on her, and the stares she was receiving weren’t making it any better. ‘Can it get worse than this?’ she thought quietly while rolling her eyes. And as if god was mocking her, the queen of gossip came their way. In her head, Sooyeon could hear the angels mocking her. “What did we do to deserve this?” Donghae let out as a sign of exasperation knowing the nature of the women coming their way. They both knew that it was the perfect moment to make a good impression and reduce the amount of curiosity concerning their sudden engagement.

“Donghae Sooyeon, I’m delighted to see you” she greeted them as if she was a close friend or a family member they haven’t seen for a while. They tried their best to greet her as warmly and after all greetings, hugs and the ‘how are you’s she finally asked the question she was longing to ask.

“I never knew you two were dating, how come you’re suddenly getting married?”

“That’s because we mainly dated when Donghae was in the military” Sooyeon started telling the story they made out, they perfectly knew people would ask such questions.

“But you didn’t date fully then, you would meet only around once each two months” she added her eyes sparkling with curiosity hoping to collect more information.

“When it’s real love, you know it right away auntie, you don’t need many dates just one is enough. I wanted to make her mine as soon as I went out, but her father wasn’t ready to give out his daughter easily so I had to wait a little bit longer” they gazed ‘lovingly’ at each other’s eyes when he came up to the love part while his eyes shifted from her waist to her shoulder sending even more electricity to her body ,since this time, his hand was on her bare skin. They thought they’re finally over with her, but apparently no, she asked one more question making Sooyeon stiffen in her place and loose the ability to speak.

“What about that Kim Heechul, I thought you too were dating.”

“He’s just her friend” Donghae explained although he had no idea what relationship they had or even who's that guy, he just knew that was the right thing to say.

The lady finally went away and they could breath normally again. Just when they were cursing their bad luck, one more person approached them.

“Lee Donghae, you jerk, so this is how you do it huh. I gave you everything I had, instead you run off to the military and come back to announce you’re getting married to this ugly stick.” A girl let out at their face making Sooyeon widen her eyes in shock.

“Let’s talk later okay Jiyeo … Jiyu… Jihyun.” Donghae dragged his fiancée away ignoring the girl that was correcting her name.

“We might need to talk” she said with a weak smile showing how tired she already was.

Sitting in the bar, they both explained the situation.

“He’s my ex-boyfriend; we broke up about three months ago so you might hear about him a lot”

“Before my military service, I used to be this utter jerk to girls and a horrible player. I’d go out with girls, and leave without any trace when I’m not interested anymore. It’s only now that I’m realizing how much of a bad person I was. I’m sorry if my past causes any problems.”

They couldn’t talk anymore since their friends finally showed up.

“Where are you when I need you?” Donghae scolded his friend Leeteuk who didn’t seem to be in a good mood.

“Sweety you’re late.” Sooyeon approached the angry Taeyeon differently.

“Some idiot didn’t let me go out because he judged my dressing too revealing so I had to change.” Looking at her friend’s dress, Sooyeon remarked that it wasn’t the dress she was planning to wear initially.  

“He’s jealous. Maybe he does love you” she whispered in Taeyeon’s ear.

“No he just wants to make my life a living hell” she whispered back.

Slowly, they started forgetting about the older couple’s fight as they met up more of their friends, Donghae introducing his friends and Sooyeon did the same although they mostly already met each other.

Each of their friends had a deep story and their own problems, so Sooyeon looked up to them. Eunhyuk, Donghae’s cousin defied his parents so he could marry Hyoyeon, they didn’t want him to marry someone that isn’t as rich as them, but they soon got over it and thought that middle class isn’t that bad, they just thank god she isn’t totally poor. It is no secret that his parents are very materialist.

As for Kyuhyun and Seohyun, also Donghae’s friend, well a broken made them have a baby during their second year of university. Seohyun’s parents even kicked her out, their relationship is still tensed, but her husband and daughter make it all better, she studied even harder than anyone at school just to prove that her pregnancy didn’t affect her studies.

Onew, Donghae’s friend suffered from an abusive father and now from a crazy girlfriend that really needs to be sent out to jail.

As for Sooyeon’s friends, Sungmin was trying his best to rebuild the company his drunken father ruined, Sunny had to live every single fight her parents had before moving out and let them battle it out alone. They didn’t even want to get a divorce and kept everything behind  close doors afraid of what others might say. Sunggyu and Seonyeong were the only ones problem free, well thankfully.

Despite all the hardships, the group of friends did all they could to welcome the New Year with a warm smile hoping it would get better.

                Afterwards, the couple couldn’t even dream about having a break as they had to prepare not only their wedding but also their brand new house.


 

I wanted to make this chapter a bit longer, but I'm so tired right now so i'll just post more chapters later. Thank you for the comments, please subscribe and let me know what you think.