Chapter 17

Arranged

Arranged

17th Chapter

                             “Jaehyun? Jeno ?” With only one month left to their son’s arrival, Sooyeon and Donghae got everything ready: the room, the toys, the food, the clothes, a stroller, a car seat … even a hospital bag in the closet next to the door. They prepared everything, except a name.

As something he would have for all his life, they just couldn’t choose. They were afraid they’d give him a cute name while he ends up being macho, or on the contrary, choose a tough kind of name and end up with a cute son.

Some of their friends who already have kids advised them to choose a name after his birth, but they wanted everything ready when he’s there so all their time will be dedicated to admiring their baby.

With the mission of setting up on one name and their silliness, they spent that Saturday afternoon reading the names they liked and noting which of the names got the biggest reaction.

 

Now that he’s much healthier, the baby likes to kick a lot, a habit that all of them really love, it’s a sign that he’s still alive.

“Oh he really likes Jeno” Donghae, whose hand was positioned on her stomach, commented.

“I know, he kicked me so hard it hurt. “ she exclaimed “Go easy on mommy, don’t worry we’ll choose you a great name”

“But I think he liked Donghyuk more” Donghae added with a pensive face, thinking of which kick was harder.

“I told you I hate that name.  I had a horrible math teacher with that name”

Donghae didn’t dare say she should get over something that happened twenty years ago because he knew she would hit him with a pillow.

After reading so many names and getting mixed reactions, the couple were starting to get tired.

“How about we just name him Pikachu when he’s a kid and when he’s old enough he can change it” Sooyeon desperately proposed. Donghae didn’t even have the time to laugh before his wife’s face distorted in pain.

“Okay I get it, you don’t like it. There was no need to hit me that hard” she spoke once again to the baby.

“Let’s just go with Dongyeon, he really liked it and it has both our names in it.”

After hours and hours of thinking, they finally chose a name.

So whilst eating dinner, they skipped with their sisters who were spending a semester at Oxford and told them about the names.  The young girls had the usual reaction to anything regarding their nephew: utter excitement.

As Sooyeon was lying in bed, she found herself thanking god for the last few months. She’s been living absolute happiness. Although she gets bored sometimes from staying at home so much and going out as less as possible with her due date approaching, she was still happy.

Even if everyone was busy, she’d spend her day reading books, learning how to cook, or just talking to her baby.

Donghae caressed her cheek as he saw her spacing out. She snapped out of her daze with a smile on her face.

“Thank you” she kissed him on the cheeks and plopped back down on the pillows.

“For what?”

“For this little bundle of joy.” She said while pointing to her protruding tummy.

“I should be the one thanking you. You’re the one carrying our son, the one who suffered through morning sickness, the one who had to give up her job, the one who’s forced to not move much… “

He joined her on the bed and his hands instinctively surrounded her stomach.

As her baby bump was more and more palpable, they developed a new sleeping habit. He would caress her hair and hum the melody of a song until they all fell asleep. Sometimes, if she’s feeling uneasy, he would even caress her hair.

On Sunday, their family and friends surprised Sooyeon with a baby shower. Once again, she found herself thanking god for the amazing life she’s living.

It was on Wednesday when that amazing life turned into a nightmare.

On the previous night, she was feeling uneasy and went to sleep much earlier than what she was used to, but Donghae only got alarmed when she didn’t wake up to have a breakfast with him, a thing she would always do unless they had a fight. So he went up to their room to see what was the matter.

He could feel she was awake, but she was forcing her eyes shut.

“Sweety, did I do something that upset you?” he asked while shaking her shoulder. He could see her whole face crunching up in what he thought was an expression of sleep, but when he kissed her forehead and found it drenched in sweat that he understood the situation was different.

She didn’t have breakfast with him because she’s sick and doesn’t want him to worry, not because she’s mad at him.

“Sooyeon I know you’re awake, what’s hurting you. Do you want me to call the doctor? Let’s just go to the hospital.” At the mention of hospital she started sobbing.

“NO, no… I don’t want to go” she violently shook her head while her hands were clutching her stomach.

“They’re gonna tell me something’s wrong with him” she managed to say between her sobs.

“Why would something be wrong? You’ve got better; the doctor said everything is going just fine last week”

“He’s not moving” she shouted.

“Yesterday he barely moved and I started feeling uneasy at night, this morning he didn’t move at all and it hurts so much. Something must be wrong. This is not normal, he usually moves a lot during the morning.” at this rate she was freaking out and Donghae was starting to panic too. He started caressing her stomach, a move that usually makes their son move a lot, like he’s recognizing his father. But he got nothing, not even one kick.

“It’s nothing, he’s probably just sleeping or something” he was trying to calm both himself and Sooyeon but his wife was still hysterically crying.

“Sing him a song, he usually likes it” she desperately asked.

And so he started singing the song that Donghyeon likes the most, he still got nothing.

“Please move for mommy and daddy, you’re really scaring us right now” he whispered.

“Let’s go to the hospital, we have to go, maybe it’s normal and we’re freaking out for nothing.” Sooyeon was still refusing to go, so he had no other choice but to lift her out of bed and carrying her to his car. The poor woman was clutching his shirt; he never saw her cry so much.

While buckling her up to her seat, he got shocked by the sight of blood on her thighs, but didn’t say anything, her seeing it would only scare her more.

Even though he was driving past the speed limit while holding his wife’s hand to calm her, he still got them to the hospital in one piece.

While carrying her to the emergency room, he was begging Sooyeon to stay awake, but her eyelids were getting heavier by the second, and she started feeling all the blood that is coming out of her.

It barely took him two minutes to explain the situation to a nurse, and he was left to wait in the waiting room. Oh how he hated that room.