Us against the world:

No Need For Secrets With Me...
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I was frozen in place, my feet rooted to the ground. I felt like a statue but I couldn’t have been made of stone because my entire self was overwhelmed with an explosion of emotions. I could hear my heart thud violently in my chest as the adrenaline jolted my body with excitement and fear.

He was quick, fast and silent as he came from behind. Fully taking advantage of his father's seconds of distraction.  Jinki knocked Mr. Lee's legs below his knees and used one hand to grab the gun and the other to hold his shoulder and push him to the ground. Mr. Lee was flat on the ground, taken completely by surprise.

Jinki turned to me, our eyes met for the briefest moment and I knew he was here to get me out and help me escape.

My feet seemed to find the strength and I was then running to his side. I stretched out my hand, wanting to touch him, to hold him. I had always come so close to losing him that it was unbearable. I didn’t however get near enough before his father was almost back on his feet.

Jinki his heels, blocking me by standing in between the both of us. The air was heavy and tense. It only worsened when Jinki aimed at his father, pointing the gun in his direction.

I couldn’t see Jinki's reaction since his back was to me but a glance at his father left me upset. Mr. Lee no longer seemed scary and dangerous, mysterious with his trade mark dead pan expression and serious voice. No, right now he seemed broken. With the gun now pointing at him, he took a while to get to his feet, his eyes wide with shock and the hurt clearly visible. Though his expression changed as soon as it came, making me doubt my eyes.

"You wouldn’t shoot your own father, would you" Mr. Lee said. It was a statement, not a question. But for a second I wasn’t sure.

Judging from his back, I saw Jinki's shoulders visibly tense. His hand shook a little with uncertainty before he put down the gun, though still in his hand and finger on the trigger. Mr. Lee smiled a bitter smile of disappointment. "I thought I taught you better and here you just gave up your only leverage." He dared to say, taunting Jinki and mocking him.

I caught him slip the container into one of his many coat pockets, ensuring its safety. His part was done and I wished for him to leave us alone, but I knew not all wishes came true.

An uncomfortable silence filled the atmosphere, making the air suffocating to breathe. Yet no one dared to move.

"Dad" I heard a weak voice call, it was low but close enough to be audible. I recognized that voice and watched Mr. Lee's guard drop for a split second as he turned to face his second son. Standing there, not even two steps away, was Taemin. He looked sad, his eyes giving that pained look of helplessness and desperation.

Mr. Lee didn’t make the mistake of being distracted twice, he could still make a move if he required to do so. But what he didn’t predict was both his son's betrayal.

I didn’t get to see all of it since Jinki covered the majority of my view. Still, from what my eyes caught, I could see Taemin take out a small can and press down on it, hard. Instantly a spray shot out from it and directly into the wide, open eyes of Mr. Lee, who yelled out in pain as he fell to the floor once again. Taemin kept hitting down on the can of what looked like pepper spray until it made a sound of choking on empty air.

"Now!" Taemin screamed, his voice no longer a quiet whisper I was used to. I dragged my gaze from Mr. Lee, now practically blind and trying to regain his senses, to Taemin. He still wore that look of pain and guilt over what he had just done. My mind flooded with thoughts of his longing to see his father and my heart began to ache. Unable to take the sight, I turned and looked at Jinki, he was emptying the gun of its bullets.

After he was done he offered me his hand. "Take my hand, and run with me" he instructed and I obeyed. He turned to Taemin and nodded, no words, just a simple gesture but yet it seemed so final. I felt a sense of grief overcome me as I weighed his words. He would be leaving everything behind to save me. I didn’t want that, I wanted him to stay and live a normal teen age life, but we were too far gone for that now. So I laced my fingers in his, grabbed the black stud on my ear with my free hand and pulled it out, ensuring not be tracked down again. A sharp pain followed and I knew I was bleeding but I ignored it.

"Thank you" I whispered to Taemin, over the loud voice of his father, screaming words I didn’t bother registering. Taemin smiled, a bitter-sweet smile as I resisted the urge to hug him. Grabbing my bag which was on the ground, we started to run.

We ran round the building to its entrance. The guards, I thought, but we were already at the entrance before I could warn Jinki.

Four people were there, two of which were unconscious and had their hands tied behind their backs. Standing above

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter