That rainy day...

If I Could Change Time... (Side story: SooSica)

 

A few days passed after the incident during PE class. Jessica and Sooyoung could now comfortably greet each other but they still kept their distance. The reason being, both of them could not help but be awkward around each other. Every time Sooyoung tries to strike a conversation with Jessica, she would end up blabbering weird stuff and Jessica would simply fidget around and smile awkwardly when she's around Sooyoung. 

"Argh I can't think straight, seriously." Sooyoung knocked herself on the head after having another weird conversation with Jessica yet again.

"You're really pretty today. Oh I didn't mean to say that as a 'you are pretty' pretty way, just that you look nice in those clothes. But we're wearing the same uniform, erm I'm just saying it suits you a lot better. Look at me, such a tomboy, I don't look good in skirts at all." Sooyoung recalled the words she said after seeing Jessica in the morning, she thought back where Jessica stood stiffly and smiled awkwardly at Sooyoung.

"Ah I'm such an idiot, thank god I came up with that excuse of having classes.. Crap! ain't we in the same class?!" she sighed dramatically as she walked down the hallway. 

On the other end of the hallway, Jessica was walking slowly back to class. She chuckled slightly as she thought back to the conversation she had just minutes ago. Jessica always found Sooyoung cute in her clumsy moments, and she found her fondness for Sooyoung slowly becoming greater and greater. That was also the reason why her body stiffens up every single time she meets Sooyoung. She would feel her heart expanding and would find it hard to breath. Around Sooyoung, it was hard to not feel different. 

Even though the two couldn't show their feelings well, they both grew fonder of each other. It was their first time feeling the way they felt, if only they had more experience, they would not have been so afraid of the special feelings they had. Because of the fear of these new found feelings they tried to contain it, and what other way than to act like normal friends. 

"Aish these feelings are really troublesome." Jessica held her hands close to her chest, trying to stop the fast beating heart.

Jessica glanced over at the tall girl's seat to find Sooyoung dozing away, getting a short nap before the class starts. And so she followed Sooyoung and placed her head on the desk and slowly drifted off to sleep.

"Hey Jessica, let's go out." Jessica let the person grab her hand and drag her out of the classroom. 

"Where are you bringing me?" Jessica asked while letting the person drag her out of school. 

Soon the duo were on a motorbike. Jessica cling on tightly to the girl's waist as she drove to the unknown destination.

"Yah, seriously, Choi Sooyoung! At least tell me where we are going." Jessica complained.

"Tadaa!" Sooyoung pointed the far end.

The sparkling sea, the refreshing wind breeze, the calm waves, the harmonic seagulls and the rough bedrock. Jessica smiled at the scene, she was captivated by the beauty of the beach.

"Thanks for bringing me here Sooyoung. Sooyoung?" Jessica searched around for the girl who went missing. 

Jessica walked down to the beach to search for Sooyoung. She walked along the beach being more worried about her friend than enjoying the humble sea. Then, she felt a tap on her shoulder. Sooyoung appeared wearing an innocent white dress. Jessica's jaw dropped, Sooyoung was always so tom boyish that she forgot Sooyoung could actually look beautiful.

"I wanted to surprise you. Like what you see?" Sooyoung smiled shyly. Then, Sooyoung slowly leaned forward.

Jessica's heart pounded excitedly at Sooyoung's slow advancement.

"Be mine, would you?" Sooyoung whispered into Jessica's ear and finally leaned in to kiss her forehead...

Jessica felt the kiss a couple of times and it became increasingly painful.

"Wake up Jessica, wake up!" the teacher had already arrived for the first class and was repeatedly poking Jessica's forehead with the marker. 

When Jessica woke up from her little dream there was already a little mark on her forehead. When Jessica realized the situation she embarrassingly apologized to the teacher while the class laughed at her after seeing the mark on her forehead. Jessica sat back down and the teacher continued conducting the lesson. She glanced over to Sooyoung's seat and quickly turned back to face the front, she blushed a little. 

Soon the final class started. The class groaned as the teacher requested for every student to hand in a report before the end of the day. 

"Mr Powell is really the devil teacher." a male classmate complained to his group of friends as they made their way out of the classroom to the library to look for materials. 

Sooyoung unwillingly got out of her seat to do the report just like everyone else. Mr Powell was known throughout the entire school as the devil teacher. If his class was the last of the day, he would never fail to make it extend beyond curriculum hours. 

"Just our luck to be in 1A6! We have his class as the last period twice every week, no other class has to face hell like us." murmurs echoed along the hallway as the students moved to different places to complete their report.

Jessica quietly sat down in the corner of the library and did her report.

Hours went by and Jessica struggled to come up with a good report. She saw the students leave the library one by one as they finished their report. It was already dark and she was the only student left in the library who had yet to complete her report. 

Sooyoung yawned and slept, ignoring the urgency to complete the report. She figured she could complete it later since the deadline was any time before school closes. Sooyoung, unintentionally, slept for hours and woke up to find that the sun had already gone down. She lazily dragged her body to the library to get materials for her report. As she walked in the direction of the library, rain started falling heavily and the distinct sound of thunder could be heard. 

"Woah the thunder is pretty active today." Sooyoung exclaimed when her heart jumped because of the sound of thunder. 

Sooyoung walked around the library looking for relevant materials for her report. She strolled though the library until she caught a glimpse of someone cowering in the corner in the far end of the library. 

"Ah seriously, who's that." Sooyoung walked towards the cowering figure until she caught a glimpse of the blonde hair and petite figure. Her head buried inside her shivering arms and folded legs. 

"Jessica? She's afraid of thunder?" Sooyoung came up with the most logical explanation.

Sooyoung walked over to sit beside Jessica without saying a word. She heard sniffing and she knew, that Jessica was crying. She digged around her pocket and pulled out a wrinkled tissue. 

"Ah what a bad idea." Sooyoung placed the tissue back into her pocket. 

"I should probably tell you that I'm here." Sooyoung said softly.

Sooyoung placed her arm over Jessica's shoulder and leaned closer to Jessica. Jessica felt the touch and looked up slightly to see Sooyoung. But now, she could not be bothered who it was. Her body was screaming in fear as she continued to shiver uncontrollably, and her mind felt distorted. Sooyoung kept her silence and hugged Jessica closer. Despite her actions, Jessica remained in her frightened state. Sooyoung decided to get up and held Jessica up too with much difficulty. She moved Jessica near the window which Jessica strongly fought against.

"Go away! No, please don't!" Jessica was almost like an maniac. 

"Jessica listen to me! I don't know what made you afraid of thunder. But I've got to let you know that I will always be there to protect you. I don't always have to be with you. I just have to be with you when you need someone to lean on and protect you. So wait for me here." Sooyoung ran out of the library and leaving Jessica slightly astounded.

Sooyoung ran out to the open and signed for Jessica to open the window. Jessica hesitantly walked towards the window, her head screaming for her to run away. But she couldn't and didn't want to leave Sooyoung waiting out in the pouring rain. She could get a cold. Slowly but surely the lock came undone and Jessica slowly slid the window open. 

"Jessica Jung! Look at me now! The rain and thunder ain't that frightening. If it ever scares you don't ever ever ever forget that I, Choi Sooyoung, will be by your side and I will make sure I will kick that thunder's !" Sooyoung kicked her leg high and fell down on her . Jessica calmly looked on and slowly the fear drifted out and the warmth of Sooyoung's actions seeped into her. She forgot about her fear and smiled.

The thunder continued to roar and Jessica did wince but she couldn't take her eyes off Sooyoung who was now dancing in the rain. 

"Don't ever scare my friend, Jessica, like that again! I will make sure to kick your !" Sooyoung screamed. 

The security guard came running after Sooyoung when he spotted her in the rain while patrolling around the school with his umbrella and torchlight.

"Ahh Sooyoung causing trouble again!" The security guard hastily chased Sooyoung but Sooyoung was quick to run back into the school to avoid the security guard. Jessica laughed at the scene.

Sooyoung went back into the library all drenched. She looked at Jessica through the strands of wet hair and smiled. Jessica looked at Sooyoung and laughed.

"Gomawo.." Jessica said. 

Sooyoung walked towards Jessica and closed the window. She laid the crayons she had took from the art room before coming back to the library and laid them on the table. Slowly she drew the colours on the window. Sooyoung drew from inside-out, Violet first, then Indigo, followed by the calming Blue, next was the pleasing Green, proceeding with Yellow, charming Orange, and bright Red. The colours of the rainbow showed on the glass of the window.

"I figured the rainbow always came after the rain. But it's dark now. Let's imagine the beautiful rainbow like that, shall we?" Sooyoung turned to Jessica.

"Ne.." Jessica smiled looking at the window, holding Sooyoung's hand unknowingly for the first time...