Dealing with the awkwardness...

If I Could Change Time... (Side story: SooSica)

 

Jessica laid on her bed, wearing her pink sleep gown. 

"What is this feeling?" Jessica held her hand close to her beating heart. 

Jessica looked up to the ceiling thinking about her first day in school. She was really glad to have made many good friends. The classmates were friendly, the teachers were focused and made the lessons interesting, the school had ample facilities and the food was nice. She thought through her entire day, the nervous feeling she got while she was walking from the principal's office to her new class, her worrying introduction and the seemingly long walk to her seat. Then she recalled the girl that made her heart pound. 

"Erm.. your mouth." she remembered saying. 

Jessica clenched her fist at her heart again as she remembered the short haired girl. Everything besides the wide mouth was mesmerizing. At first, Jessica was amused by Sooyoung's weird character but as time went by the feeling in her heart manifested itself and it wouldn't stop beating loudly. She remembered herself chuckling at Sooyoung's gapping mouth, but after that she could not get her eyes off the girl. 

"Why am I feeling this way.." Jessica became worried, but she liked the feeling.

For both Jessica and Sooyoung, it was a very new feeling that they were unfamiliar with. They didn't know love comes in such unexpected forms and that the fast heartbeats was just the start of it. 

---The next day---

Sooyoung walked to school with a worried heart, constantly looking around for Jessica. She was too embarrassed to meet the girl after yesterday's incident. If she could, she would have like to avoid her for the rest of her life. At the same time, she wanted to see the girl again, remembering her sweet features and those eyes, seeing her was just never enough.

Sooyoung had got up for school earlier than expected because she couldn't get any sleep the night before. She sat in her usual seat and anticipated the arrival of the american girl. 

"Okay, Sooyoung, the moment she arrives you need to avoid her." Sooyoung reasoned with herself. 

She was determined to avoid the girl, hoping not to talk about the embarrassing incident and more importantly she wanted to make the feeling she had go away. The bell rang for the gathering of students in the field for assembly. Sooyoung curiously looked around to see if Jessica had made it to school. To her dismay, the american girl did not show up. Assembly ended and the students returned back to class. Jessica's absence have already caused certain chatters to go on but who could blame them, being absent on the second day since she arrived was very unusual.

"What have you done..." Sooyoung blamed herself, thinking that it was because of her that Jessica had not come to school. 

Halfway though the first lesson, Jessica entered the classroom sloppily and apologized to the teacher.

"Late on the second day, Jessica? That's not very healthy." the teacher lectured.

"I'm sorry, I will not do it again." Jessica bowed and apologized.

Jessica walked towards her seat while slightly dragging her feet. Sooyoung glanced at Jessica to find eye bags under her eyes. Just like Sooyoung, Jessica had not gotten any sleep the night before. Now the both of them were left in similar condition and Jessica had also decided to keep away from Sooyoung for the time being hoping to calm her heart.

The two had not talk for the entire day but that did not mean that the feelings simply went away. They were both unable to focus during classes and meddled unconsciously with their stationary and their hands. Even when they did not interact with one another for the entire day, the air of awkwardness lingered as they struggled to calm their souls. 

Soon, the last lesson of the day arrived and it was Sooyoung's favorite lesson, PE. The students changed to their sports attire and headed down to the field for class. Sooyoung would usually be the fastest to arrive onto the field and would already be warming up for the games that were to come, however today she was unusually slow. Sooyoung and Jessica arrived at the field from different changing rooms only to find that they were the last two students to arrive. 

Both of them awkwardly looked at each other, then bowed to recognize the presence of the other. Both of their eyes darted around nervously due to the awkwardness.

"Okay class, today we're going to be playing volleyball." the teacher announced. 

So the group of students were led to the indoor sports hall to play the game. 

"Okay girls, can you split yourselves into two groups." the teacher instructed. (the boys and girls are split during PE class)

Swiftly, two self-elected captains stood up and selected their respective members. Sooyoung and Jessica ended up in different teams and the game started. Sooyoung, being the most athletic, confidently hit the ball across the court to the other side. Jessica was on the receiving end of the ball. Though her actions were clumsy but she managed to hit the ball up. Rallies went by with Sooyoung's team naturally dominating the game. Just then, Sooyoung who had jumped up to spike the ball smacked the ball right on Jessica's head. Jessica fell back from the force and laid on the floor for a while. The group of girls hurried to Jessica's side worriedly while Sooyoung stood dumbfounded. 

"I did not mean to do that." Sooyoung stood there lifelessly. 

The teacher came running and examined Jessica's injury. 

"Sooyoung, get her to the sick bay for some rest." the teacher ordered. 

Sooyoung snapped back from the shock and nodded. The teams returned to playing their game as the teacher instructed while Sooyoung helped Jessica get to the sick bay.

Jessica rested her head on Sooyoung's arm as Sooyoung supported her to the sick bay. Jessica held onto her head as she was feeling a little bit dizzy. The two walked along the long corridor to the sick bay on the other side. Sooyoung's genuine concern for Jessica made both of them forget the awkwardness.

"I'm really sorry for hitting you, I really didn't mean that." Sooyoung apologized guiltily.

"I'm fine.." Jessica could feel how bad Sooyoung was feeling and she didn't want to make it any worse.

"I'm sorry for whatever I said yesterday?" Sooyoung continued the conversation.

"Hmm? What exactly did you say? I forgot all about it already." Jessica wittily answered, even though she remember clearly, "Please see me tomorrow." 

"Thanks.." Sooyoung caught on, grateful that they were no longer awkward.

Sooyoung laid Jessica on the bed for her to rest. 

"I'll get back to class now, please rest well." Sooyoung smiled at Jessica.

"I like this." Jessica said abruptly.

"Like what?" Sooyoung calmly answered.

"Like that we're like that. I'm sorry for not talking to you today. I just had some issues on my own." Jessica confessed, not telling the full story.

"Yea, I like this too. And it was my fault for not talking to you first." Sooyoung responded.

"You think we can be good classmates?" Jessica looked at Sooyoung innocently.

"Anytime, just don't be late for class." Sooyoung joked.

"Yah! I was late because.." Jessica stopped before confessing the awkward truth.

"I was just kidding! Rest well, see you around in school." Sooyoung coolly walked out of the sick bay back to the class.

"Thanks.." Jessica said, just loud enough for Sooyoung to hear it. 

The two may not have become the best of friends on that day 

but they became a little closer...