Three: Ice cream and Present

You are the only one

 

As he arrives, he just sits on the ground. There is definitely something wrong. I approach him slowly as I say “Is everything ok?” he turns and looks at me. I notice that his eyes are really sad. “What is wrong?” I ask him.

He just looks at the ground and says in a really low voice “Eun Hye broke up with me” 

______________________________________________________________________________________

 

I am shocked, they broke up? No, she broke up with him? How? Why? Everything was fine this morning. What happened between them? I could only sit on the ground and hug him by his shoulders “Do you want to talk about it?” He is my bestfriend and I love him but there are some things we don’t talk about and his love life is one of those.

I am really grateful he never tries to talk to me about that either. It would be way too awkward and he’ll end up knowing about my feelings for him. He just shakes his head like saying no as a response and I just keep hugging him. I am feeling really sad for him, I know he really likes her maybe he loves her, why would anyone break up with him. Is she crazy? If I was her I would never let him go.

“I am really sorry Sam” he says “It’s your birthday. You should be having fun and not comforting me” I don’t care at all I just want to make him feel better. I HAVE AN IDEA “You are right, it’s my birthday so I want some ice cream. Let’s go get some!” i release him from my hug. I stand up and he does the same, we start to walk towards the ice cream store.

I know ice cream is one of the things that will help him feel better. I know it is really childish but he told me once when we were really young that after his dad died (before moving here) he ate a lot of ice cream every night before sleeping because the cold in his mouth was so strong, it didn’t let him cry.

Of course he was sick a most every day at that time but he was just 6 and trying not to feel sad. (His dad, there is another thing we never talk about. Guess is just too painful for him). Well, I don’t know if he remembers what he told me but since that day every time he is feeling down I will offer him ice cream and he would eat it happily.      

I hope this time will be the same, we sit down on the table and I order for both of us. After all I know his favorite: creamy orange. I think that he is so similar to that flavor; so fresh and a bit tangy but sweet and intoxicating at the same time, it is like a perfect combo.

He haven’t said a single word on the way and he startle me when he talks “I thought this time would be different” he says while looking at the table, more like talking to himself than to me “I was sure she could help me to forget…” he stops and sighs “Nevermind, guess I was wrong”

I don’t understand what he is talking about but I just keep quiet. I don’t want to say something wrong and make him feel worst. I wouldn’t know what to say, no one has ever broke up with me because I have never dated. So how can I talk about something I don’t know? Why did I never date anyone? If I have, I could help him now. I am doom. I could never look at other guy other than Donghyun. I sigh.

The ice cream arrives cutting my thoughts and Donghyun starts to eat. I see how his face starts to change slowly and begin to look happy, my heart feels light now. I can see he is feeling better. THANK YOU SO MUCH ICE CREAM!!!

He looks at me in the eyes “Why are you not eating?”. I am still full because of the big lunch I had but if I don’t eat, he will find out I just wanted to comfort him. I just look down and shove a spoon full of ice cream in my mouth. Then I mumble the first thing I could think of “IameatingnowIt'sreallygood”.

He stares at me “YAAA!!! Close your mouth when you eat! Finish your ice cream before talking again” I nod and keep eating. GENIUS SAM!!! I know he would concentrate on my mouth full of ice cream and not in my words. He is sensitive towards that, he has always been. I can see him lowering his head and eating looking at the ice cream. Is he that disgusted that he doesn’t want to look at me? I just sigh and keep eating. 

Finally I finished my ice cream, he has already finish too. “How was the ice cream?” I say. He happily gives me his brightest smile. Aish!!! That beautiful smile that makes me weak! When he smiles like that to me he knows he can pretty much get away with anything, but I just love to hate this weakness of mine.  

“It was sooo good!” he says still with the same smile “I think I am going to ask more” I knew it, there it is. He wants more ice cream, he is just a kid when it comes to ice cream but I just can’t say no so I easily give up “You better ask to go because is getting late. We have to go home soon” He nods and stands up to ask for more ice cream.

When he is back with a bag and smiling I stand up of the table and head towards the cashier to pay for my part. “Where are you going?” Donghyun asks me. “I am going to pay” I respond. “Don’t worry about that. I already pay” He says smiling. “Thank you” is all I can say.

He always does this, he never lets me pay for anything. It is really sweet, so gentleman like but it worries me that he spends his money like that. He is type of person to pay for his friends meals. I am sure that if he could he would treat everyone on the ice cream store.   

We walk home and start to talk about silly stuffs, about how the English teacher is crazy with all the homework she leave us and how the school kids always tell jokes about her. Then he says out of nowhere “Thank you. You are always there for me, you are a great friend“. I feel happy because of his words and reply “You are welcome. You know you are lucky to have a friend like me”. He laughs loudly.

I love it when he laughs, the simple sound of it always makes me feel warm inside. “Yes, such a modest friend I have. But, the best friend ever” he tells me smiling, I smile back. “Aren’t you going to work?” I ask him. “Don’t worry they won’t fire me for skipping just one day” he says and winks.

I chuckle at him “You are rigth but you should call your boss and let him know!” I say. “I already did that but thanks for worrying” he responds as we arrive to my house. I say “Goodbye” while waving at him. He waves back and walks towards his house.

I enter my house and my parents are already there. “Where have you been? We were waiting for you to give you your present” my mom say kind of worried. “I am sorry, I was just having ice cream with Donghyun and time passed too fast” I say. “Time always passes by quickly when you are having a good time” my dad tells me.

Even though I have never talked with my parents how I felt about Donghyun, my dad somehow know and my mom ……...…….. let’s just say she is clueless about a lot of things. Maybe is because he is my parent and he have known me forever, that is why he can tell how I feel.

But sometimes I can't help worrying about if I am too obvious about my feelings, I don’t want Donghyun to find out. I know he would reject me, and I don’t want to lose him as a friend. I sigh and look at my mom “Mom, I am going to bed now. I am tired and full because of the ice cream”

My mom looks at me and says “Ok. It’s just 7 pm so you better take a bath before you go to bed” she says kissing my forehead. Good, she is not mad at me for being late. “Goodnigth!” I say to my mom and kiss her on the cheek. Then run towards my dad and do the same.

I start to walk upstairs when I hear my mom “Hey! Don’t forget your present” I turn around and she says “Is on your bed. Tomorrow let me know if you like it" . “Ok, thank you” I say and run upstairs. I enter my room and the lights are off, I turn them on and I just can’t believe what is expecting me on my bed.

I totally freeze, I can’t move and my head is going nuts. That crazy guy with the brownish hair, the one I have met this morning and the one that kissed me on the cheek in lunch break. Lee Jeongmin is sitting on my bed.

What the hell is this guy doing here? How did he get inside my room? Is this my gift? Are my parents crazy? Are they kidding me? My thoughts are cut by the words “Sam-noona! Welcome home”

 

______________________________________________________________________________________

Hello!!

I am having a lot of free time these days so I am writting a lot!!!

So just for today, I think I'll update like 3 chapters!! :D

Thank you for reading!!! Just keep enjoying and subscribed and comment if you can!!

 

KEEP LOVING AND SUPPORTING BOYFRIEND