The Beginning.

10 Million Baozi

 

Never did I dream my future will be like this. I didn’t even know such a thing like a “debt.” existed!

 I was only eight. Did I even know how to spell debt. then? ….

Well maybe I did but so what? It doesn’t change anything, Complaining doesn’t make what I owe them suddenly vanish.

So what good does it do if I sit around sulking?

Will it be able to feed my younger brother? Will it be able to pay my mother’s hospital bill? No it wouldn’t so what business do I owe these pebbles I keep throwing along the river hoping one will give me the pity to finally bounce a few steps.

They all just keep landing in an unpleasant splash making all the fish run for cover.


Do I sound like a depressed loser to you? Perhaps so, But everyone deserves a little moment of their own to just let everything out.

Forget all the worries you have to bear on your shoulder.

Forget that you have a little brother that is finally learning how to walk without the help of a mother or father, or loosing all hope to get into a good college. Hell I don't even have enough for the clothes on our backs. As silly as it sounds, I feel lucky. Sure I may not be a billionaire with a nice home that comes with an impressive car that goes 400mph but I do have my brother and that’s all I need.

 


I don’t visit the river often, only when they let me off work early which is hardly ever but when they do I never go straight home to Yoogeun, Only because he is in good care with the lady that lives in the first floor who is like a second mother to me.

She’s rather old but can put up a good fight if she notices a brat picking on her garden. (most of the time it’s just a mindless rabbit craving for some fresh leaves but no matter how many times I try to tell her she is convinced is one of the boys that live about 2 blocks away from where my little worn out apartment is.)


 

I look out into the river and take a moment of weakness to curse at him. My little brother’s once called father that shamed us all, left my pregnant mother and me with a 10 million dollar debt. was it so hard to at least make sure that his own son arrived to this world safely?

Was it really so hard to at least pretend to worry about my mother’s illness for just a mere second?

To at least have some expression on his face that shows that he once cared for this family.

So before I left to go to Yoogeun I threw one last pebble to the river cursing my step-fathers name as it made a forceful splash into the water.

Sinking gracefully to the ground as if it’s intention was to mock me.

No matter with how much force I put into that one pebble It will always remind me that it’s useless. It won’t get hurt; it will just land with a simple whisper as it hits the sand…..That is of course unless I aim it at this sturdy tree by my side……with that I did. And the only result was it bouncing back at the opposite direction to hit me right in the middle of my forehead….

 


“why am I such an idiot” I laughed at myself humorless.

I shortly composed myself to not scare the passengers that were walking by hand in hand with the sight of my blood tricking down my mouth.

I wiped the blood away with the hem of my shirt and pressed my palm to my forehead to prevent more blood from spilling.

It was soon getting dark so I decided to leave early to stop by his cafe for a Band-Aid.


When I opened the doors the smell of freshly baked stuffed buns danced through my nose causing my mouth to water. My current state was suddenly interrupted when the shadow behind the counter shouted my way “Ahh! Minseok! Wipe that drool off your mouth I just finished mopping the place!”

 

A/N

I'm so sorry for this chapter >< It'll get better I promise!