Opportunity

Heartless

Other than school, the only public place I frequently visit was the coffee shop at the corner of the street. It hardly have any business, let alone customers. I was a regular there thus, I was usually treated to free seconds. I was there that afternoon, sipping my usual black coffee when a short lady walked into the coffee house. I knew all the customers who frequent the cafe thus, I looked at her curiously. She caught me staring and eyed me suspiciously. Not wanting to be mistaken for a ert, I moved two tables down.


All was well until the waiter Jung Jaebum, approached me with a pleading look. I sighed and got my wallet out, preparing to pay for whatever date he had that day. Strangely though, he wasn't after me for money. It was something much worse.

"Daehyun-ah, our jukebox broke and I sent it to the repairs. And there's a really important person in here who's demanding for some music"


As soon as he said that, I knew what I had to do...


"Can you please sing for her? Who knows? She might be a regular after this."


I sighed. I knew customers were rare here. I nodded and beaming, Jaebum handed me a microphone, ushering me to the centre of the cafe where the jukebox usually stood.


With a swift, "Thanks", Jaebum disappeared behind the counters, leaving me alone in the centre of the room, all eyes on me.
I took a deep breath, not that I was nervous, and started to sing. The only times when you could hear me, the real me, the vulnerable and weak me, was when I was singing. Other times, I permanently adopted a poker face which was unfazed by emotions. As I sang, memories after painful memories came sweeping through my mind. That is why I tried to avoid singing as much as possible. As much as I loved it...
 

Love is not a necessity in this world. You love your family, your friends and our lover. But one day, they will all die. So why bother to spend all your life loving people. I for one, did not see the need to love, nor the need to be loved. However, when I was singing that song, I thought of my brother, the only person who had truly loved me. There was a slight aching pain in my chest which was not too unfamiliar. I tried to suppress it. No matter what, i promised myself to never dwell on what happened in the past.


I finished singing. The whole cafe was silent. Jaebum was staring at me with his mouth open. I had not noticed I was crying until I felt a single tear drop from my right eye down my cheek. I turned away and hastily wiped it off. Somehow, even though it was unexplainable, I felt good after singing. Like my heart felt the tiniest bit lighter. I returned the mic and amidst the applause from my audience, I silently walked back to my table. I was still trying to compose myself when someone took a seat opposite of me.
I looked up and saw that it was none other than the new customer. She was short and plump and was wearing a hat shaped like a bear which looked ridiculous on her. I was still wondering whether her hat was made from a real bear when she spoke up;
 

"Annyeonghaseyo. May I know your name?"
 

Wow. She asked me the only question I was unwilling to answer. "Wae?" I asked.
 

"It's for business purposes," she stated, "and while you're at it, it might be good to tell me all about you, your life story and your family background."
 

I snorted. Seriously, who did she think she was? All of a sudden, a thought came across my mind.
 

"I'm sorry, I am not the blind date you were looking for. Even though I may look like the potential husband, I assure you I did not sign myself up for this. However, could your blind date be," I eyed the counter, "Jung Jaebum? If so, I'm sorry but I'm not sure he can support you financially. You'd better leave while you can."


I sat back and watched her reaction. She gaped at me with slightly open. Was I that handsome? Was she that disappointed? However, she did the least expected thing; she threw her head back and laughed. She laughed until there were tears rolling down her cheeks. I waited until she had controlled herself. She finally did and looked at me. She then stood up and formally introduced herself with a deep bow;
 

"Annyeonghaseyo. My name is Lee Hyun Ae and I am from TS entertainment. I am pleased to inform you that you have been scouted."

Life is generous.
It may give you downfalls or it may give you opportunities. Whatever it gives you, you just have to accept it. I have been in both situations. The decision was not hard. Heck, it's just take it or leave it. It's yourself who's making it hard. You're only wasting your time when you 'think about it' and time is precious. This time, when life offered me one thing that I thought would be unlikely to ever cross my path, an opportunity, I did what made most sense. I accepted it. Immediately.


Staring out of the windows, I watched the rain pour down. What was supposed to be a bright sunny day, had been proved wrong. So has my life. Everything, starting from now, will take an unexpected turn. One which will lead to another future, away from here.
I sighed and went back to my packing. The lady, Hyun Ae, had pestered me about my life. It reminded me of a certain someone I met that morning. When I refused to tell her for the umpteenth time, she gave up and asked me instead if I was living with my parents. I laughed spitefully at that question. My parents were somewhere far far away from here, I told her. She seemed to understand and took out a thick wad of paper. For the next two hours, she droned on about the terms and conditions of being a trainee.


A loud knock on the door interrupted me. I hastily stuffed all my remaining belongings into a small canvas bag and answered the door. Hyun Ae was there with two ice creams. She handed one to me and I gave her my thanks. After that, she offered to carry my bags. Did she just say bags? She shut me off when I opened my mouth to tell her I only had one bag and shoved her way into my room.


After seeing that the subject of our conversation was actually singular, she turned around and asked, "Is that all?"
 

"What do you think?" I asked back.


Without another word, she strolled past me out of my hostel room. I followed right after her. When we got on the van which was waiting for us, she turned around and asked me, "I'm giving you one last chance. Are you sure you don't need time to say goodbye to your friends? We can give you a week you know?"


"Let's just go," I grunted impatiently and we sped off.


I looked out at the scenery as we left Busan. It never appealed to me as a home. Even now when I was leaving it forever. Busan was where I spent most of my years. I had grown so accustomed to it, I forgot other towns even existed in South Korea. Yet however comfortable I was here, I was still willing to let go. I was still willing to leave as fast as possible. Why was I not treating it like my home?
Maybe because it wasn't.

 

(A/N: In case you might have it in mind to comment on it, I am fully aware that Daehyun wasn't scouted like this. TY :D)