Who Is She?

Heartless

It turned out that Ailee was going to do collaboration with us. Our manager told us that she had volunteered herself to sing Secret Love live with us since Jieun couldn't do it. Jongup was, as expected, over the moon at the thought. If I hadn't been curious about her, it wouldn't have mattered to me.

The first time we met Ailee was at the studio of our company. She had agreed to practice with us for a few days before our first stage with her.

When Ailee entered the studio, we all stood up and did the infamous BAP greeting. She smiled shyly and introduced herself. I kept my eyes on her... I couldn't help it, she triggered something in my memory... something that I could not remember no matter how hard I tried. I hadn't expected it to be easy though. I had purposely forgotten everything about my past.

She however, did not seem to remember me too. After stating that I was her favourite member and blushing furiously, she just looked like any other fan girl. She was smiling throughout practice. I kept staring at her though, not caring if she classified me as a creep.

It went on like this for a few practices until one day, we were both alone together so that we could perfect the chorus which was still a little rusty. That day, she noticeably avoided looking at me. I kept glancing at her until I couldn't take it any longer.

"Uhm...Ailee ssi?" I hesitantly asked.

"Hmm?" she looked up. When her eyes met mine, I thought I saw a glint of anger but I must have imagined it as it disappeared after a millisecond.

"Do you... Remember me?" I straightforwardly asked her. I was never one to beat around the bush.

"Yes of course... We met each other yesterday remember?" she smiled even wider.

"No I mean..." I bit my lip, not sure how to say this. "Have we met before? Like way before the Secret Love meeting."

She looked at me for a long time. Then she laughed. "Well, I'm not sure... Your face is rather common you know."

I shuddered. There was something about her laugh that made me have goosebumps. "Uhm... Well... Because I think I've seen you before."

"Oh really Daehyun, you must have a really bad memory. If you've seen me before, you must've remembered me. After all," she flicked her hair. "My face is one in a million."

I restrained the desire to puke right then. Talk about ego. "Er..."

"Tell you what Daehyun, instead of playing 'Guess My Face', why don't we concentrate on tomorrow's performance?" she interrupted me.

I agreed and we continued with our work. However, I could not help but suspect that she was glaring at me behind my back. It was unnerving and I found myself wishing that practice would end quickly. When it finally did, I went straight up to my room. I spent most of my morning on my bed. I could not get her face out of my head and found myself absentmindedly wondering where I had seen her. I knew I should’ve just let it go and just accept that maybe I had mistaken her for someone else but I couldn't. No matter how hard I tried, I could not stop thinking of her. I've had caught myself replaying the part when she glared at me numerous times. I was, even though I didn't want to admit it, afraid of her. That stare she gave me was that I've seen in serial killers. That wasn't good, was it?

I sighed and rolled over in my bed for what seemed like the hundredth time. Who was she?
 



I stared into her eyes and she into mine. I reached out towards her and she to me. However, it was far from lovey dovey. The stare she gave me could qualify as a glare and when she raised her hand, it was like in a gesture as if she would have loved to strangle me. I tore my eyes away from hers. This had been happening for the past few weeks. I had occasionally caught Ailee sending me death glares for quite a while now. I didn’t know what it was I did that had made her so pissed off at me.

We had just wrapped up our promotions for Secret Love and were leaving the stage. I lingered behind, determined to have a word with Ailee. As the others went into the dressing room, Ailee and I were just walking down the corridor. She was ignoring me as usual.

"Ailee, wait! Hold up! I have something I want to tell you!" I jogged to keep up with her. "Are you angry at me? I really don't get you. I mean, first you told me I was your favourite member then you act like you hated me and now you're ignoring me. I really don't get-"

I didn't get to finish my sentence. Ailee made a sudden move and pinned me up against the wall. She had both of her hands by my side and I cowered a little. Honestly, I had never seen a girl as aggressive as her.

She gave me a menacing stare and put her lips near my ears. "Jung Daehyun, if you don't remember me, don't even try. I'm sure you'll remember me soon enough. Oh trust me, I'll make sure you won't forget me... not ever," she hissed. Her voice sent cold shivers down my spine.

She took herself off of me and started to walk away.

"Why are you doing this to me?" I blurted out before I could help it.

She stopped in her tracks and turned her face sideways. "I'm only giving you the same treatment you gave me," and she walked away.

I was terribly confused.

For the next few days, I searched deep inside my mind. What had I possibly done to her? Her actions previously had not only seemed weird, but it looked familiar. It was as if I had seen someone else do it before. I thought back to when I last pushed a girl up a wall... Wait? Pushed a girl up a wall? No. It couldn't be.

I groaned in frustration, ignoring the others' stares. If she really was her... Then I had been mean to her. But not that mean. I mean, she was only a stranger at that point in time. How could she hold a huge grudge against me? Cross that out, how could she hold such pure hatred towards me?

I felt myself waiting for our next meeting, wanting to clear it all out once and for all. However, I also felt myself dreading it, as if knowing the identity of my enemy would do me more harm than good.

I ended up asking Junhong to call her and to arrange a meeting. He was reluctant but he did it anyway.

I paced the room, waiting for Ailee to come. She was ten minutes late. I was at the recording studio as that was the only place where I could have a private word with her without being suspected of dating. When she arrived, the sound of the door knocking scared me out of my wits. I was really jumpy that day. I opened the door and she went in without a word.

"Speak," she said. "I don't have much time."

"I remember you," I quickly said, wanting to get it over with.

She folded her arms and looked at me. Again, it was the same intense stare she had given me before. "Oh really," she sneered. "So our Daehyun has finally gotten back his memory. How wonderful."

I clenched my fists and told myself to calm down. "I think we met. Back in Busan."

She smirked, as if satisfied that I had passed a test. "Is that all you can remember?"

"I was mean to you. I'm sorry," I admitted and apologized to her.

She instead, rolled her eyes. "What makes you think I'll forgive you?"

Excuse me? "Uhm... It wasn't a big deal."

"Wasn't a big deal?" She started walking towards me. "Heck you made me traumatized. What you did was unforgivable! The things you did to me," she pointed a finger at my chest. "Nearly killed me. Do you know what I went through? Do you know what you put me through? No, I guess not. Cause you know why? You're heartless!" She was fuming mad. There were two red blotches on her cheeks that I was sure wasn't blusher.

Something clicked in my mind and the feeling of dread overcame me. Tears brimmed in my eyes. It was all happening again. After eight years of running away from it, it came back. It was all going to be the same and nothing would ever change… nothing had ever changed, really.

With whatever energy I had left, I forced a whisper, "What's your name?"

She looked at me hard before giving me a half-smile, knowing that I had finally realized it. That I had finally known the cause of all this.

"Lee Ye Jin," she said and went out of the room.

Of course.

 

 

 

(A/N: Okay so things are really going intense :D haha sorry if my writing seems sloppy, it's currently exam week and I just have too many things in my brain *GAH!* Haha anyways, I would like this opportunity to thank all my readers and subscribers :D And of course, the comments! ^^ Those are what really kept me going! If you can, subscribe and comment and thanks to those who love this utterly boring fic. I know it's not that good compared to other stories but thanks for bearing with it hehe)