First Meeting

Heartless

Seoul was very different from Busan. There were far more people here and the whole place was basically a city. No countrysides where you can go to, to just freshen up your mind. People here were bustling with activity. Everyone seemed to have something to do. No one was strolling or even stopping to smell the flowers. Good, I thought to myself grimly, at least I will blend in here.


Hyun Ae came back with a card. We were outside TS entertainment. She handed me the card, telling me that it was to be used for entry into the company.


"Let's go," she said and we entered the building.

To be frank, it was not as I expected at all. I have seen many shows of various companies (mostly the big 3) and all seemed to be similar in one aspect; the prides of the company were greatly advertised. There were always posters of the artistes posted wall-to-wall. Even the windows would have some scribbles of a certain name. However, TS was...clean. I knew TS only had one idol group at that moment but if I were to wander my way in here, I would hardly realize that it was an entertainment company. Hyun Ae ushered me to the lift. Once we were inside, she pressed the highest floor. That could only mean one thing, we were going to meet the President. Cold as I was, I could not suppress the feeling of nervousness in my stomach. What was I supposed to do when we meet him? Sing? Dance? Eventually, we reached the desired floor and the lift doors swung open.


"Go straight down and you will come across two wooden doors. Make sure you knock first before you enter," Hyun Ae pushed me forward.


Bewildered, I turned around and asked, "Aren't you coming?"


"Why should I?" she said skeptically, "it's all on your own from here."


Seeing the panicked look on my face, she softened her expression. "Look, if I go with you, it would only mean that you lack confidence and that's not a good first impression," she looked at me for a moment before continuing. "Besides, what have you got to fear? You're the one who's choosing whether to sign the contract or not."


When I did not react, she went on, "It's just listening to him and writing your name on a piece of paper."


I nodded and let out the breath I did not know I was holding, "Fine. Bye."


"Hwaiting!" she said before letting the lift doors close.


I walked all the way down and reached the two wooden doors. Taking a deep breath, I knocked twice. "Come in," a deep voice projected from behind the doors.
 

I pushed the doors open and looked around. It was well-furnished. There were two sofas with a small round table between them. Behind the set was a huge table clustered with paper, pens and stationery. Sitting behind the table was the President of TS entertainment.


I quickly bowed, "Annyeonghaseyo. My name is Jung Daehyun. I was scouted by Miss Lee Hyun Ae and I am from Busan," I recited the speech I had practiced when I was in the van.


The CEO gestured me to sit and I did so. Sitting infront of the table was a name plate saying, 'Park Sang Hyun, CEO'. Mr Park and I discussed about many things. We almost went close to the topic of my family but seeing my face, he diverted the subject. And finally, it was time for the contract to make it's appearance.


"Have you read the terms and conditions?"


"Yes."


"Have you understood everything I told you?"


"Yes."


"Then please sign right here, Mr Jung Daehyun." I lifted my pen. Hesitated for a split second and wrote my name slowly in black ink. After that, I secured the contract with my seal. Mr Park took back the piece of paper before telling me that he would expect full commitment to the company and any laziness would not be tolerated. I nodded half-heartedly, my mind still lingering on that black scribbled, Jung Dae Hyun.

I owed Hyun Ae alot. She was the one who helped me adjust to trainee life. She showed me my schedules and told me that I had to follow them strictly. She secured a room for me at the dormitories and told me that I was to share it with five other guys. It bugged me a little as I was used to sleeping in solitude. I met my first roommate when I was unpacking my things. A young man with chubby cheeks entered the room and stopped in his tracks when he saw who was there.
 

"Annyeong haseyo. My name is Jung Daehyun. I will be your roommate from now on. Please take care of me," I formally introduced myself.


"Annyeonghaseyo. My name Yoo Youngjae," he said and bowed ninety degrees.
 

There was awkward silence after that. After fifteen minutes or so of staring in opposite directions, Youngjae volunteered to unpack my stuff.
 

"No, I'm fine, I can handle it myself."
 

"It's okay, I'll just place your clothes in the cupboard."


After much persisting, he won. (Gosh why am I meeting so many persistent people nowadays?) We were both unpacking my stuff when the door opened. Two boys walked in and looked at me curiously.
 

"Hyung, who is this?" said the taller of the two.


I introduced myself to the two newcomers and they did the same. The shorter one was extremely shy and he did not talk much. Junhong (I learnt his name) and Youngjae went into a rapid conversation about tonight's dinner. The conversation soon turned into an argument and when I could no longer stand the bickering, I exited the bedroom into the living room. I explored my new home, thinking that it was not as good as my hostel room but I was satisfied. I went back to find that, fortunately, all three of them had gone off. I dug into my bag for my towel and clothes and made my way to the bathroom. After showering, I proceeded to the bedroom, thinking of taking a nap. I was about to sleep when Junhong popped his head in.
 

"Er...were you about to sleep? Sorry, I just wanted to know if you would care to join us for dinner? The others are waiting at the restaurant."


I sighed. I already knew that if I refused, he would persistently nag at me until I give in. I nodded my head and reluctantly got out of bed to join him.

We were making our way to the restaurant when he asked me, "Why aren't you using honorifics?"


I raised my eyebrows and said, "Because I'm older than you."


It was his turn to raise his eyebrows and he retorted, "Said who? I was born in 1996."


I was starting to get annoyed. He was two years younger than me, yet he dared to speak to me informally.


I coldly replied, "I'm '94 born."


He gasped. Realizing he was mistaken, he bowed and apologized. "But hyung, you look much younger than me."
 

How was I supposed to react to that? I kept my poker-face and we walked on in an awkward silence. We reached the restaurant. It was a normal one. Not too high class and not too run-down. I hated restaurants like this as they were always crowded. Sure enough, all the tables were full. Junhong led me to a corner table where there were three other people. I already knew Youngjae and Jongup. I looked at the stranger curiously, he looked familiar and he seemed older than all of us.


Junhong followed my gaze and said, "Oh yes, this is Bang Yongguk. He is the oldest among us all."


Bang Yongguk? Wasn't he the rapper who featured in Song Jieun's solo song, Going Crazy? So he was to debut together with us? What did that make him? Our senior or our equal?


I took a seat next to Junhong who piped up, "Where is Himchan hyung?"


"He's MC-ing tonight remember?"


"Oh right!" Junhong then called a waitress.


So there was one more member remaining? I could not wait to see him (sarcasm). We placed our orders and everyone except me chattered. Junhong tried to bring me into the conversation many times but failed. I kept my mouth tightly shut until the food arrived.
I wolfed down my kimchi fried rice. I had not eaten anything since morning. When food was in front of me, I no longer cared about my surroundings. While I was helping myself to seaweed soup, someone nudged me.


"What?" I asked irritably.
 

"Yongguk hyung is talking to you," Junhong told me.


I diverted my attention to the grinning person.


"You're a bit inattentive you know?"


When I did not reply, he went on.


"I was asking you about your family. I'm sure you had to leave them behind when you came here from Busan, am I right?"


"How did you-" I started when he interrupted me.


"Satoori," he simply said.


I blushed. Of course Seoul people did not speak in dialect. I kept silent, even though I had not forgotten his question.
 

"Hey, you know it's polite to answer when someone older than you asks a question?"
 

I remained silent.
 

"Are you feeling homesick?"
 

Something inside me was stirring.
 

"We're all homesick you know? You can just let it all out. You'll feel better, trust me," he smiled and went on, "so what are your parents working as?"
 

I gripped my fork and knife as hard as I could. It was taking me all of my willpower to suppress my anger.
 

To add on, Youngjae said, "I couldn't see my parents once for a whole month. I can understand what you're going through. But you just have to keep telling yourself, I'm not that bad. What about those kids whose parents have passed away? Some even have parents who don't care about them at all..."
 

He struck a nerve. I stood up from my chair and shouted, "SO WHAT ABOUT THEM? DO YOU PITY THEM? DO YOU SYMPATHISE WITH THEM? WHAT IF THEIR PARENTS DON'T GIVE A ABOUT THEM? ITS NOT AS IF IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD FOR THEM! WHAT DO YOU EVEN KNOW?"


With that, I left my half-done plate and walked out of the restaurant.


Yongguk shook his head and said, "Daebak."