I Want To Be Alone

Heartless

It was March. It had been two months since the incident. We had debuted, released the 'Tadah!' episodes and even held a showcase. We had done many things since our debut. Yet, it still seemed like nothing had changed since before our debut. I had turned cold towards the members. I became distant with all of them, including Youngjae. I knew I might probably have broken his heart but I didn't care. I had made a mistake by letting him into my life. I had made a mistake by accepting him as a friend. I fixed it however. He was then just nothing more than a stranger to me.

After I rode on that ship, I realized my emotions were too strong to be kept. So I had just simply forgotten about it. By doing so, I disassociated myself from people. People who would bring back those memories.

That was the reason why I moved. After my brother's death, my family had hated me. They pushed all the blame on me and I became the scapegoat. They despised me and I soon grew to despise them. I shut myself from everything related to my brother. Everything but one, my brother had told me that he had wanted to become a singer. He told me he would give up everything to be one. I asked him what would happen if he couldn't. He stared at me for a long time before smiling and telling me that he would want me to be one.

I kept that wish in my heart. If anything, I would fulfil his wish... his last wish. However, I could not bring myself to sing in front of people. I sang to myself occasionally but I couldn't sing in front of others. I kept that wish however, hoping that one day, I would have enough courage to go for it.

I told my parents of that dream, seeking out their advice. They chased me out of my house and slammed the doors in my face. Soon, the whole town heard of the incident, through my mother's mouth. They learnt the story the way she saw it and everyone hated me. I was called a murderer. Unable to bear it any longer, I moved to Busan. I tried not to mention Gwangju unless asked. Don't get me wrong, I loved my hometown. It was just that I never felt I fitted in. In Busan, where nobody knew about my past, I could at least blend in and start afresh. For many years, I had lived in Busan, until I moved to Seoul to fulfil my brother's wish.

I lied down on my bed, staring at the ceiling. I was the only one in the bedroom. Of course I was. The others avoided me like the plague. That was because I had developed the tendency to snap at random people when I felt like it. Right then, I was not in a good mood. When was I ever? I sighed and rolled over to my side. I hated days like that day. I hated day offs and free times. Most people would disagree with me but I feel that the more occupied I was, the more I was able to control my thoughts and feelings. When I had nothing to do however, it became apparent to me that I was being avoided by the rest of the world. Even in the mornings when we had breakfast together, everyone would be eating at the dining table, while I would be sitting alone in the living room, always shunted to one side.

It wasn't their fault. For the first few weeks, they had been genuinely concerned. They had questioned me again and again and I had repeatedly snapped back at them until they grew tired of asking me and decided that it was best to leave me alone.

Youngjae was perseverant. He did not stop pestering me. Even up till now, he still continued to make forced conversations with me. I ignored him all the time and treated him as if he was invisible. It no longer mattered to me whether he was hurt or not because as far as I was concerned, he was a complete stranger to me.

And that was how it was, the rest of BAP and me. We were divided by an unseen, yet strong and obvious wall. We ignored and avoided each other. I preferred it that way. Not having anyone talk to me was a blessing. I was never much of a social butterfly and preferred being by myself.

The first time a member actually talked to me in a long time, however, was totally unexpected. And it brought on a horde of unexpected things, just like how the world was.

I was sitting down in the living room, watching television. A new drama was set to air that night. I wasn't interested in dramas really, I just needed some time to think. Watching TV was a great way to think without actually looking like I was thinking. Sure enough, I let my mind wander off while the new drama aired. I was so caught up in my thoughts that I didn't even notice that someone had silently sat themselves beside me.

When I did notice however, I whipped my head around and saw Jongup engrossed in the drama. I ignored him and averted my attention to the screen. It was the new drama, Dream High 2. I had seen countless trailers of it on screen and it was finally the day episode one was aired.

I squinted my eyes. Not because I was interested in the plot. Not because I was dissatisfied with it. But because there was one particular actress who had caught my eye. Now, please don't get me wrong, I wasn't 'mesmerised' by her beauty nor was I falling for her at first sight. I was in fact, finding her vaguely familiar. I was sure I had seen her somewhere and I had a feeling I had seen her in real life and not on TV.

"Her name is Ailee," I snapped my head sideways, cracking it.

"Who?" I asked Jongup, rubbing my neck.

"That girl you were staring at. Her name is Ailee. Thought you should know because you seem interested in her," Jongup replied, his eyes never leaving the screen. I had rarely heard Jongup talk.

"I wasn't..." I stopped. I didn't know why but something told me I shouldn't talk about her.

"It's okay if you like her. I can share," Jongup said quietly.

"Eh?" Now I was really confused. What was he talking about?

"I'm a huge fan of her," he blushed. I had a feeling that he hadn't shared this with the others. "But I'm not those possessive type of fan boys," he quickly said, with a sidelong glance at me. "I mean, she's very pretty so I can understand it if you like her too."

I restrained myself from rolling my eyes. So that was what it was all about. Jongup had got me all wrong there. Instead of replying, I stared back at the screen. Ailee... What a strange name. It triggered nothing in my memory. Maybe I had her pegged wrong. Maybe she just resembled someone I knew... hopefully...

 

 

(A/N: I'm really sorry for updating such a short and boring chapter... The next one will be much more exciting, I promise. Please subscirbe and comment! Thank you!)