Chapter 2

A Perfect Summer?

 

Dozens of people filled the port, locals and foreigners alike; along with a couple of street vendors selling knickknacks and snacks, island souvenirs and even Kim Heechul shirts. The new Sesang port really became popular after the world-known superstar Kim Heechul endorsed it in his commercials.

It was almost freezing this Saturday morning, unbelievably too wintry in the middle of spring and a cold breeze rushed in the air. Yet the port remained calm, as well as the ocean waters just beyond the dock. The small port had a simple feel to it, a few posters of its endorser here and there stating its offers: A) round boat trip to its nearby island, hotel accomodation and buffet meals; B) island hopping adventures; C) snorkeling and D) diving. 9:30 am and everyone then gathered their things, a man probably in his late 20s announced that everyone could ride their respective boats, depending on which of the port's features they paid for.

 

"Do you see the boats labeled A?" Sungmin asked his brothers, to which they both shook their heads. "We should go there, i think." Eunhyuk suggested while pointing forward "There's so many people blocking our views, we might get left behind."

They inched their way between the groups of people around, Eunhyuk trying to avoid hurting his casted arm.

Sungmin glanced at his brothers to see if they weren't lost by his side when he bumped to someone. The impact made the girl who obviously wasn't paying attention, tumbling down back first as she screamed "Aaaah!" and Sungmin, for a split second predicted that the person's gonna bump her head on the floor, hard. He dived and reached his hand behind the other's head, securing it so when she fell his hand cushioned the fall. Yet he also fell down, right on top of her, their faces almost touching... That was when he noticed that she had her blonde hair really short but her face was very feminine and rather... Cute. She had a startled expression on her face and was breathing real hard.

Sungmin then finally stood up, carefully removing his hand from her head and reached it out to help her but to his surprise, the girl stood up on her own, brushed away the dust on her seemingly expensive pink cotton dress and reached down for her sunglasses on the ground. Even though Sungmin still had his hand reached out, the girl totally disregarded his existence as she fashionably wore her shades and walked away, her short hair bouncing with every step.

Sungmin took a breath in and turned towards his brothers' equally questioning and surprised looks. He cleared his throat. "Come on, there's the boat! we might get left behind!" He said almost half-mindedly as they walked towards the boat labeled A.

 

---------------------

 

Donghae subconsciously took a step back the moment they arrived at the boat dock. There were 7 people inside the boat, the ones they'll be sitting with during the whole 2 hour ride to the island. He scanned them one by one and his impressions were one was like a technology jerk fiddling with his iPad, one was like a nice young nerd, one was ... exceptionally pretty, and there were his hyung's co-workers Teuk, Hyoyeon and Taeyeon all smiling brightly... But what caught his attention and made him step back was that one girl at the very back of the boat, she dyed her hair again, had the same cold exterior... and was looking at him with the same shocked look on her face.

"Jessica." He whispered and all the past memories and emotions came flooding back...

 

...

 

It was during summer before Senior High that it happened...

 

He remembered the classroom, the light and colors from the setting sun that flooded the insides of the room. He remembered looking for Jessica but he never for once expected what he saw in the classroom that day.

 

"S-sica?" He whispered and the girl stopped kissing the other male. Her back was to Donghae so he doesn't see her face. "Don't! Don't look back." He forced out a faint laugh. "You're not Sica, i'm sure... So why would you turn around when I called her name?" He laughed again. "I'm sorry to have disturbed you two. I'll just look around for her again. Sorry" And he turned away... Ran along the empty corridors. Knowing that no matter how much he looked in the other rooms, he will never find Jessica there. And after that... Donghae transferred to Seoul due to his parents wishes. They never met again...

 

Not until now...

 

...

 

"Donghae-ah! What are you waiting for? Come, sit!" Eunhyuk's calling pulled him out of his thoughts. He finally stepped inside the boat.

 

"How many is the seating capacity of this boat?" Leeteuk asked someone who was apparently the boatman.

"12 sir." So 2 more people... Donghae thought. The awkwardness between him and Jessica is too much, he almost can't take it. She obviously saw him, and there was no way she couldn't have recognized him. Eunhyuk-hyung even called my name, he thought... But it's been 6 years. Things change. People change... Feelings change.

 

Donghae is sitting at the very front, Sungmin beside him. In front of him sat a long-haired girl. She seemed timid but good-natured and is just as lost in thought as Donghae is, as she is staring at the ocean beyond.

 

By then, the boat shook a little, signaling that someone rode. Donghae looked up to see who it was... And thought that the pink cotton dress just seemed so familiar. He glanced at his brothers; Hyoyeon and Hyuk were  quite surprised to see each other  and were having little conversation while Sungmin... Just as Hae thought, was looking at the pink cotton dressed girl. He was amused despite himself and wondered weather his hyung was attracted by the girl. Then realized that he never really was that interested in girls unlike his Hyukjae-hyung. Must be the pink, he laughed to himself.

 

Trying to keep himself from thinking of Jessica, he did head counts. Us three, six.. Eleven. Just one more and we're going.  It's already 10:30. They said the boat's going at 9:45. Are we waiting for a VIP?! Wonder who that was... Donghae was starting to get annoyed. And as he looked at the other people in the boat, everyone seemed getting bored as well.

He then heard little miss nerd sigh and glance at the clouds... She adjusted her glasses and said "Nimbus clouds? Must be raining soon..." "Ha! Impossible. Look." the techie jerk beside her shook his head and showed her his iPad. "weather reports of my tablet show that it's gonna be a bright sunny day." He sarcastically emphasized the last words.

"Then that's wrong. There's nothing more accurate then the clouds themselves, see? They're nimbus. It produces precipitation and often means a thunder storm is brewing, there's no way we're having a bright sunny day." Donghae and the rest were visibly impressed by the girl's knowledge but the one beside her just rolled his eyes still unwilling to believe her. However, they were oblivious to the tension it brought to Taeyeon.

"You think there'll be a storm?" she worriedly asked the girl. "Yes. More likely." she nodded innocently.

Taeyeon started to panic "oh.. What if... The boat.. I can't swim." "Don't!" a  sweet voice cut her. "Please, don't think that way... I'm sure we're gonna arrive safe so please don't attract negative energies." the girl in front of Donghae spoke up timidly yet somewhat optimistically. Her smile is radiant though her face is rather pale, Donghae observed.

 

"Hey. What are you guys worrying about?" Hyoyeon cheerfully stated to which the young man with an iPad rolled his eyes. "There's nothing wrong coming, okay? Ah~ I know! We should just get to know each other." she said. "Start with you Miss smart pants, What's your name?" She said, pointing to the girl with the glasses. "Seohyun" she replied with a smart attitude.

"And you?" Hyoyeon suddenly turned to the pink dressed girl beside Leeteuk. She was startled "Huh? Me? Uh... Um."

 

Bright Sunny Day

 

"uh. Sunny." she finally said. Hyoyeon then turned to look at Jessica but she immediately ruined the mood with a sharp "No." Just as Hae thought... Jessica. Always the cold one. Some things just don't change...

 

"What?" Hyoyeon asked.

"Why should we get to know each other? Right, 'cause we were gonna spend a lifetime in this boat together." Jessica's sarcasm is still as strong as Donghae remembered, even faking a laugh. "It's just a ing two hour ride anyway."

 

"Hey! watch your words young woman." everyone turned their heads to the other end of the boat where the strong-toned voice came. A familiar looking man wearing dark sunglasses, classy clothes and a peculiarly familiar smirk stood. The increasingly strong wind blew his carefully styled hair coolly, giving him a standoff feel. The man removed his glasses as he stepped inside the boat, his gaze still fixed at Jessica. "Interesting." he smirked.

 

And it was impossible at that moment not to recognize the world-famous Korean superstar.

 

"Awesome. He's really mysterious yet charming in person as the magazines say." Hyoyeon spoke out softly.

 

"Of course." The man shrugged and winked at Hyoyeon. "So now... where do I sit?" making her move closer to Hyuk when there's obviously not enough room for the man who had decided to sit right beside Jessica.

 

Everyone's thoughts were finally voiced out when Hyoyeon exclaimed "Wait, Seriously?! He's riding with us?! Space Big Star Kim Heechul?!"

 

-----------------------

 

That's for chapter 2. The characters are now all introduced,  though not identified. Do you know who they are already? HAHA.

You see how Hyoyeon is outspoken while Leeteuk didn't even speak a word in this chapter; that's either he's bored or worrying about his business or both. :)

Ah~ Sungmin, as we see in the first chapter is quite... popular with women. See the reason there was trouble in the bar... But as Donghae said in this chapter, his hyung isn't really that interested in women.

Also,the glimpse on HaeSica couple's past. So you see... There's been something between them before. And we're gonna learn what really happened back then in the upcoming chapters. So please Subscribe and Comment! :')