Chapter 13: Eotteohke? (How?)

A Perfect Summer?

 

"Knife? Where did you guys get this?" Sungmin asked while examining the butcher's knife. It is big, with a light brown handle and stainless sharp blade.

 

Kyuhyun motioned his head to the direction where they picked it. "It was stabbed on the tree trunk", eyebrows furrowed. Sungmin puckered his lips thoughtfully, then glanced towards the direction Kyuhyun said.

 

The group were gathered in a circle while Yesung cooked the two fishes they had caught. "I knew it. Those eyes I've sensed watching me before were real... Someone's out there" he said, flipping over the fish. "Eyes?" Sunny asked,  apparently scared. He nodded, "I didn't give it any thought since it's just illogical but... well yeah" he trailed off, not wanting to scare the girl any longer.

 

"But, uh, it could have been left there by some person who was once stranded here right? He got rescued and is no longer here? Then it must mean that we will also get rescued soon!" Yoona smiled, almost convincingly. The others stared at her and they just had to admire her optimism.

 

Heechul nodded, playing with the sand. "Yeah, if there really were other persons here, why haven't we seen them?"

 

Taeyeon then looked at Leeteuk and said worriedly "Oppa, you know..." and the others switched their eyes to her. "I. I-- actually felt the same too. Like someone's watching" she bit her lip and Leeteuk held her hand between his.

 

Jessica rolled her eyes. "Why should we worry about other people here? Look, we've got other--"

 

"Because sometimes people got to stop being so cold and worry about others for a change" Donghae suddenly muttered without even glancing at the flinching Jessica.

 

Awkward.

 

Eunhyuk stood up and took the knife from his brother's hand. "Well at least we now have something to open those coconuts with" he smiled and desperately pulled his younger brother to come with him. Together, they went to get the coconuts from their hut.

 

Once they've left, Sungmin embarrasedly said to Jessica "Uh, I'm sorry, you know Hae could act real childish at times..."

"I know, he's right anyway" she shrugged while Yesung placed the fishes on a leaf.

 

----------------------------------

 

After they finished eating the most sumptuous dinner they had in the island so far -two fresh fishes and  thirst-quenching coconuts- and the moon had shone, one by one they decided to crawl in the hut and decide sleeping arrangements.

 

"It's improper for us girls to sleep beside men you know?" Seohyun crossed her arms.

"Haha. As if we'll do anything to you! No worries, you're not even my type!" Kyuhyun smirked evilly and Seohyun almost slapped him when a strange sound came from outside...

 

Coughing. Familiar coughing. Familiar intense coughing.

 

Yoona.

 

Again, the series of strong and successive series of coughing attacked her. The others stopped discussing and glanced at her.

Suddenly it stopped and touched her head, her eyes tightly closed. She carefully evened out her breathing.

 

"Yoona-sshi!" Donghae ran to her from the opposite side and caught her just as she fainted. "Oh no. She's burning with fever" he said after feeling her hot skin.

 

"Get her in!" Seohyun called from inside after she had laid down her blue blazer for Yoona to lay on. Donghae gently carried her inside. "What should we do?" Donghae worriedly asked. "I know an herb that's good for fevers. I just hope that there are some in the woods." Hyoyeon said while preparing to run for the woods.

 

Eunhyuk glanced at her and while she started running, for some crazy reason, he saw the braided-haired girl from his past again.

 

"You can't go alone. Hyuk-ah, I'm just going with her!" Hyoyeon looked back and saw Sungmin walking to her. "Uh. Yeah, hyung" he distantly answered, shaking the memory away from his head and  he saw the two run to the dark woods.

 

-------------------------------

 

Carefully, Sungmin and Hyoyeon scanned the dark woods for those herbs that she said are useful for fevers. Fortunately, the moon shone brightly, making it a bit easier for them to walk.

 

"There!" Hyoyeon exclaimed as she ran to the bushes. "Be-- be careful!" Sungmin called out while catching up to her. He helped her pick up some and having decided that they got enough, started walking back.

 

"We just follow the marks I made on the trees so we don't get lost" Sungmin smiled at Hyoyeon who gazed at him. "You thought of that? How smart!" he giggled at the compliment but was confused when she quietly commented "You're not like your brother..."

 

"Huh? What do you mean? Hyuk-- ah, Eunhyukkie?" he asked, remembering his brother's "screenname". She nodded, "Yeah, he's just always playing around and flirting with girls and..." she looked utterly frustrated.

 

Sungmin was amused at her frank personality and he kept silent, waiting for her to continue. "Ugh" was all she muttered.

 

"Uh, you work in the same bar as Hyukkie right?" he tried expanding the conversation. "Yeah. It's been six months since he's worked there and... Ah! Would you mind if I ask you a question?" she stopped in her tracks and gazed at Sungmin expectantly. He shook his head as they continued walking.

 

"Um... I. Uh-- What is Eunhyuk's ideal girl?" she asked, staring at the ground... Blushing.

 

Sungmin used all his will power to keep himself from giggling. "Eh? Ideal girl? Well, um... As far as I know it's someone like Emma Watson... Well, why do you ask?"

 

"Emma Watson..." she repeated, not minding the other's question. Sungmin didn't pursue further and just smiled to himself.

 

--------------------------------

 

Jessica sat behind the coconut tree, that same tree that she sat under when they first arrived. For some reason, she had thought of that spot as hers.

 

Everyone is panicking and utterly worried over that girl being sick.

 

Great. Now no one's going to pay attention to me, but what's new? I'm used to it.

 

She hugged her knees and ducked her head. Donghae looked so worried about Yoona just now. That look on his face... Will he ever worry about me again?

 

No. I guess not. She blinked thrice, willing the tears to disappear. I can't cry. Jessica Jung pick yourself up, You're strong! Don't cry over the same thing over and over.

 

Suddenly, she heard someone sigh. She inhaled deeply and looked around until she saw a slender figure wearing tattered brown pants.

 

Him. Again.

 

"Why are you here?!" she yelled at Heechul the moment she realized it was him. But he didn't flinch and just flipped his hair coolly.

 

"Can't I be here?" he answered and she didn't know how to reply. Right. This place isn't mine. Nothing's ever been mine, anyway. The thought made new tears form in her eyes.

 

She just stared at him for a while until he suddenly turned back, putting his hands on his pockets.

 

"You don't have to act cool and icy. You can cry, sometimes..." and almost as soft as the winds on a  warm summer afternoon, he added "Just tell me if you want a shoulder to cry on".

 

And Jessica watched him walk away. She wondered if she had really heard those words as the model like figure of Kim Heechul vanished around the corner.

 

-------------------------

 

"Here are the herbs. If we could only make tea with these..." Hyoyeon reached out to Seohyun the leaves they had gathered. Donghae's coat was already wrapped around Yoona but she was still visibly cold.

 

"How?! There's no fresh water here!" Taeyeon practically panicked.

"Would Coconut juice work?" Sunny suggested and Seohyun thoughtfully nodded. "I guess it could" and Sunny rushed out to get a coconut.

 

Eunhyuk, who was sitting beside Donghae, glanced at Hyoyeon who had a very familiar expression on her face. She was worriedly looking at Yoona and for some reason, Eunhyuk couldn't remove his eyes from her.

 

---------------------------------

 

She held the knife and tried with all her might to open that one coconut. She stabbed it and tried slicing until... "Kyaaa~!!!"

 

"Aish! I knew it!" Sungmin came running. He forcefully ripped one of his shirt's sleeves when he reached her.

 

He grabbed her hand. "Aiing~ So much blood" he commented, shaking his head. Sunny had accidentally cut her hand deeply. "Ouch! Ouch! Ouch!" she screamed, eyes tightly closed.

 

Suddenly, she felt his warm hands gently wrapping a cloth around her injured hand. She slowly opened her eyes and saw Sungmin carefully and daintily taking care of the injury. She couldn't help but admire his facial features especially his eyes that looked more sparkly than ever now that he is focusedly staring at the bandage.

 

She just stared at his face, his milky white skin and his eyes until he finished wrapping it, almost forgetting the pain.

 

"Better?" Sungmin's worried eyes met hers and she nodded.

"But, uh, how did you know... I mean, you said you knew it?"

He smiled "I just thought that you might slice your hand with this  big knife so I followed you... Looks like I was right."

 

He picked up the knife and took over her unfinished job. "You know, it's not easy to open coconuts, especially if girls do it." His arm muscles were even more visible now that one side of his shirt is sleeveless.

 

"I'm sorry" she said, head bowed down and Sungmin was surprised at the words. "I-- You're shirt got ripped. I-- just wanted to help and... I made you worry--"

 

"You're welcome!" he grinned and Sunny was very surprised. She looked at him, confused, while he continued his work.

 

"No need to be sorry..." he said as the coconuts finally broke into two and he gave one half to her. And that's when she realized she said the wrong words.

 

She giggled as she reached for the half coconut and sincerely muttered "Thank You, Sungmin-sshi".

 

------------------------------

 

Eotteohke?! I'm a SunSun shipper and I want them to be the leads but I feel like their moments are dull. -__- They will have a lot of moments in the next chapters, promise! Hihi. Are you enjoying this? I'd appreciate comments!

I totally enjoy reading some comments regarding guesses about the "mystery" part of this fic.. HAHA. You guys are great. =))