Chapter 25: Realize

A Perfect Summer?

 

"Are you sure this is going to work?" Kyuhyun asked, skeptical and still believing that they have no way to contact the others without a cellphone or beeper or anything gadget-ish. Smoke signals or whatever. He never really believed those stuff from survival movies actually worked. Not even when he's here, in his own reality-version of a 'survival movie'.

"Hopefully." Seohyun answered though that didn't exactly reassure Kyuhyun. He sighed realizing that there's nothing he could do but hope that the others would realize that a thick column of smoke actually stood for something. He hoped someone actually even paid attention to that smoke post and not shrugged it off as a forest fire or anything else unimportant.

 

He glanced at Seohyun who was busy trying to keep the fire going. Leeteuk was slumped on a rock, looking more devastated than ever. Kyuhyun sat down and fiddled with his lighter -the only thing left to him.

 

"Uh... K-Kyuhyun-ssi..." Seohyun mumbled.

"Yeah?" he said.

"That uh, heat and light emitting metal box... That's really useful. Thanks."

 

He stared at the box in his hand. Gee, such a simple thing as this. Never thought it's going to matter so much.

 

"Sure," he shrugged with a slight smirk. "Gadgets never fail."

Seohyun frowned for a second but her face softened as easily, "Not really, but yeah... it's kinda tough without those techie stuffs."

 

"You don't seem very fond of technology..." Kyuhyun mused, desperate to keep the conversation going. "Noticed that since... well, after we got here."

Seohyun shrugged, "Absolutely. I hate how people seem to depend on them. Once I accidentally broke my cousin's laptop. He cursed at me. Psh, as if that laptop is the most precious thing on Earth. He forgot his manners just because of that accident."

 

Kyuhyun bit his lower lip. The way she said manners struck him. He was way too guilty. He does get rude at times when people disturb his Starcraft game... or even when they merely touched his precious tablet.

 

Seohyun poked the fire with a stick, "Hate me... but I'd admit. I'm quite happy being stranded here, with nature and all... No techie stuff."

 

"You're... a nature-lover." was all Kyuhyun could say and she nodded. He chukcled lightly, "I remember... that peacock incident when we've just got here."

 

Seohyun laughed, "You mean that time when you don't even know that peacocks are male peahens? I thought you were such a big idiot back then."

"Oh yeah?" Kyuhyun scoffed, "And I was thinking you're an absolute proper freak. Yet here you are calling me an idiot..."

 

Seohyun continued to laugh, "I am proper. You just honestly looked like an idiot."

"Whew. Never thought you're good at teasing..."

Kyuhyun watched as her eyes flickered brightly, reflecting the fire in front of them. Her brown wavy hair blew with the wind and despite the sweaty, haggard look everyone of them had; despite the tattered, dirty clothes she wore... He had to admit... She looks attractive.

 

Beautiful, even.

 

She shrugged, "It was before though... Never thought I'd say this but... you are smart. And rather... uhm, cool."

 

His gaze never left her face as he smirked, "I know..."

 

"...and quite narcisstic as well, I might say."

 

"Yah!" Kyuhyun argued, "Narcisstic is for that Mr. I-Am-Popular-Bow-Before-Me-Kim-Heechul. Not me."

 

She did not react and he noticed the sudden wariness in her expression, "Seohyun-ssi..." and then he realized she was looking past his shoulder. Kyuhyun looked behind him and turned back to her. "What is it, Seohyun-ssi?"

 

She hadn't noticed that she's been holding her breath. She inhaled deeply before saying, "I may be hallucinating but... I think some guy walked past those trees."

 

Kyuhyun's expression tightened, "And I'm guessing he's not one of our companions?" he asked, half-wishing she would say no.

 

But she nodded, confirming Kyuhyun's thoughts. "But the thing is..." she said, her voice low as if she doesn't want the depressed Leeteuk to hear, "... He was holding some sort of sharp thing that glistened as the sun reflected upon it. A knife, I think. Or not exactly knife... It's bigger... and really sharp."

 

"You uhm... You think he saw us?"

"No," she frowned. "He was looking straight ahead."

 

That settled Kyuhyun for a while. But it was still disturbing to actually confirm that someone else actually stays in that island... And now they're really close. He wondered whether he's alone but then maybe he couldn't really survive if he's alone. Then what, two people? Three? A family? A tribe?

 

And they had tools, a knife or whatever. They had a water source. How long had they been living here?

 

Had they really caught Yesung captive? And Taeyeon? All these questions overlapped each other on Kyuhyun's head.

 

"Taeyeon... Kim Taeyeon..."

 

He hears Leeteuk's crying from beside him and though he wills himself not to think pessimistic things, he couldn't help but consider the probability that their missing companions might remain lost forever.

 

-------------------------------------

 

Yoona decided that she better kept an eye on Heechul. He apparently gets more and more annoyed the longer Donghae carried Jessica on his back. She wasn't sure if the couple -or used-to-be-couple in this case- were aware that he is turning into a Mr. Super Jealous Space Big Star. Yoona, however, was noticing that Heechul's nose was almost starting to blow smoke.

 

She figured that maybe she had to keep him cool, spread good vibes like what she often does. It's for the best of all... herself, included.

 

Because keeping herself focused on Heechul's mood helps distract herself from thinking about what she does feel inside.

 

She was used to feeling chest pains, being sickly and all that... but right now, she was feeling a different kind of pain. Like someone was piercing her heart. It wasn't her usual disease attacking... The source of this hurt... was literally right in front of her.

 

She wasn't jealous. She wasn't angry. That much she knew. But why does she still feel this way?

 

She remembered how Donghae took care of her when she fainted. She remembered how he calmed her down at the boat when thunder scared her. She remembered all the times they spent together that made her feel like she knew him for a long time.

 

She remembered when Jessica admitted she still loved him. And she knew immediately that all those moments she shared with him were nothing as compared to all Jessica and Donghae's memories together.

 

The now familiar pain in her heart returned as she blinked the thoughts away.

 

She glanced at Heechul whose eyes are fixed on Jessica. He doesn't speak a word but his gaze spells "I like her" sound and clear.

 

She knew she couldn't judge him not even blame him. Because maybe... She too... does like Donghae after all.

 

------------------------------------

 

"Hyuk-ah, anything wrong?" Sungmin asked his brother as he noticed his uncomfort. The younger shook his head, "Nothing, hyung..." though the lines forming in his forehead easily contradicted his words.

 

Sungmin knew better than to disturb him more but he was getting more worried why his brother suddenly turned gloomy. He knew he should still be mad at Eunhyuk for his little over the top prank but his older brother instincts were stronger.

 

He squirted his eyes at the early morning sun and he tried to focus on the pillar of smoke. He realized they'd been walking since before dawn and perhaps his brother was just too tired and hungry. Perhaps the two girls were too. He was tired and hungry himself. But it's the first time they got a lead, a destination. The whole time they were just walking aimlessly, hoping for traces of Yesung and Taeyeon -practically anything. And now here it was: A smoke signal. Or maybe not. Maybe just a really strong, really huge campfire. But it was still something. Whoever made it -friend or not- it will be still worth going to, he assured himself. They had to reach it before it disappears or they'd be left wandering once more.

 

He glanced at Sunny and Hyoyeon who both looked grim. Hyoyeon, especially. The familiar urge to smack his own brother returned to Sungmin but he restrained himself.

 

He was aware how Hyukjae has been introducing himself by different names when they were young. Once he even told their new neighbor that his name was Wonbin and the poor Chinese dude totally believed him. But what irks him is how Hyukjae never seemed to outgrow it. He made a mental note to teach him that lesson when they get home. To Seoul.

 

If they ever survived.

 

Not that he doubted. He's been praying for rescue and he believes it will come soon. Soon.

 

He just hoped it would come sooner.

 

He feared if there'd be more missing persons. He feared his brothers would be next.

 

He feared Sunny would be next. And it seemed just as dreadful as losing one of his precious dongsaengs.

 

Sungmin instinctively glanced at the girl with short blonde hair and an extra tattered pink dress beside him and the feeling grew stronger. He wasn't sure why but he realized one thing...

 

He was willing to protect this girl with all his heart.

 

------------------------------------------

 

Taeyeon sat on the mossy ground, frozen. She couldn't move backwards or she'll fall back to that ravine. She couldn't move forward for a huge man in a black wifebeater and khaki shorts was blocking her way.

 

She still remembered how his calloused hands pulled her up from that ravine, practically saving her. But she had hoped it was Leeteuk or any other man she knew. She knew she had no right to be disappointed but still...

 

"Wh-who..."

 

Her voice trembled nervously. The man simply gazed at her though she wasn't sure what was going in his head. What if he just saved me 'cause he preferred to kill me himself and serve me for dinner. For a second, Taeyeon almost wanted to just jump back down the ravine.

 

He did not answer but his expression seemed to soften a little, or did Taeyeon imagine it? She tried to calm down her breathing and think. From the way he looked, he wasn't capsized here. His clothes were not tattered -not exactly clean or anything, just looking way more normal compared to Taeyeon's. Then... he lives here? Kyuhyun and Sungmin had been right all along about people living here?

 

Before she could ask, the man suddenly reached out his hand and pulled her up. She was speechless and her legs felt like jelly but somehow she managed to stand straight and stare at the man calmly.

 

Then he spoke, in a voice cold and low. "Come, you must be hungry..."

 

--------------------------------------

Oh-kay, this is a rather quick update isn't it? Haha. Well yeah, it's summer so I have lots of time to write, yay! Hahaha.

Well, I noticed this fic has a looot of HaeSica shippers as subscribers. But maybe some tension? Yoong is falling for Hae oh no hahaha. ;)

And the Ming part. I don't know.. Just had to put that.. well, he's lead here. Ming, Hae and Hyukkie. They've got to have some more parts I think. And besides, no SunSun lately. ;__; I really can't do all couples simultaneously so I shall focus on developing HaeSica/YoonHaeHeeSica (because I know the previous chapters lacked them) aaand HyoHyuk as of the moment. And you might notice the slight SeoKyu as well =)

And finally who pulled Taeyeon up?! lol maybe you guys know it already but... what is he? Cannibal? lmao this fic is not going to be a fantasy of sorts that much I can tell you. =))

Or maybe I already said a lot. Well not many people read author's notes anyway so... yep. lol.

Pleaaase please comment~ 

Thank youuuu :*