Chapter 18: Missing

A Perfect Summer?

 

"So we should just stay within this side of the island. Is that what you're saying Kyuhyun-sshi?" Sunny tilted her head a bit to the side, thoughtfully. He nodded. "We'll be safer off this way. Until rescue comes"

 

"Eh? He's not here either?"

 

The three people in the house looked at the door and saw  a very  confused looking Leeteuk.

"Who?" Sungmin asked.

 

Leeteuk sighed "Yesung-sshi..."

 

--------------------------------------

 

She has busied herself for quite some time now by untangling the knots on her hair, trying to keep herself from visualizing the scene of Donghae assisting Yoona. The calmness and quiet of this spot helps her focus as well. This spot that she's always owned to herself. This spot under a certain coconut tree.

 

From here, she could see the group dashing here and there. Taeyeon and Yoona kept yelling out Yesung's name, Seohyun tried desperately to build a fire and here she was, a shrug being the best she could give for the situation. She had wondered what possibly could be happening but then realized that she doesn't care anyway. The last tangle on her hair finally broke loose.

 

Footsteps.

 

"This place is mine. Go away" she snobbishly said, expecting the ever narcisstic boy disturb her peace.

 

A few gushes of wind blew. No one arrived.

 

Knowing herself, deep inside, she didn't really mean to push him away. In fact, she wanted him to come. She sighed dissapointedly when no one sat beside her...

 

But knowing Heechul, he wouldn't really leave just because she said so.

 

"What's with the sigh? You wanted me to come despite everything, eh?" he snickered though the tone wasn't really as cheerful.

"Shutup" she said without looking at him as Heechul came out from behind one tree and sat beside her. Instead, she burrowed her head on her knees, trying to keep herself from smiling because in reality, she really wanted someone to sit beside her here in 'her place'.

 

"Were you done picking fights with those people?"

He scoffed. "I wasn't picking fights. Just said what's on my mind instead of hiding away..."

"I'm not hiding--"

"I never said it's you." Heechul laughed and earned a smack on the arm from Jessica.

 

"What's up with those people?" he asked, rubbing his arm.

"I don't know. I don't care"

"Aish. What's wrong with you?" he said facing her.

She shook her head. "Just said what's on my mind..."

 

He smiled, this time a slightly happy type of smile. She amused him and for the next few minutes, they just sat and stared at the environment -the clouds, trees and frantic people. Not giving more than a shrug and knowing that the person beside them's presence is enough to last the day. At least a little bit longer.

 

----------------------------------------

 

"He's not in the hut?" Yoona asked, biting her fingernails as she saw Leeteuk come back, followed by Kyuhyun, Sungmin and Sunny. He shook his head.

 

"Oh. Hyuk-ah!" Sungmin zealously called out to his brother who had just arrived with Hyoyeon. He looked at him for a second or two before turning to a haggard looking Taeyeon and asked "What's wrong noona?"

 

Sunny glanced warily at Sungmin beside her and saw him bit his lip and bow down. She wanted to comfort him but she doesn't know how. She wanted to ask why Eunhyuk appeared angry but she knew it's not the right timing. So she just tapped his shoulder twice and when he looked at her, she smiled. Hoping that her gestures were enough to convey what she wanted to say: that she was here for him.

 

Taeyeon shook her head and sat down. "Yesung-sshi is missing"

 

"Missing? But he said he'll just gather woods right?" Hyoyeon said "I'm sure he'll be back soon..."

 

"That's what I told them. But they insisted that Yesung was very troubled and he could get in some trouble..." Seohyun said while resuming to rub two rough stones together. Seeing her having much difficulty with the task, Kyuhyun snickered "I suppose the real reason they look for him is no one's building a fire..."

 

"We're seriously worried about him Kyuhyun-sshi!" Taeyeon reacted, totally annoyed since her and Leeteuk's conversation earlier in the morning.

"Have you guys looked in the woods?" Sungmin offered but Taeyeon just rolled her eyes.

 

"We did, hyung" Donghae answered. "Nothing."

"Where were you anyway?! Lying down in the hut? Relaxing?! Gosh!" Taeyeon yelled.

 

"Taeng, calm down" Leeteuk was getting worried over Taeyeon's mood. She, however, just rolled her eyes.

 

"Sorry, I got injured. They, uh, took care of me" Sunny said with a smile and the others glanced at her bandaged hand and leg. And  then they glanced at Sungmin's ripped sleeves. And then they glanced at the couple who were making their way to the group.

 

"Anything wrong?" Heechul asked nonchalantly. "You're really asking us what's wrong?! Please!" Taeyeon yelled and Leeteuk had to sit beside and hold her by the shoulders, gently but firmly. "Why are you acting like this Taeyeon-ah?"

 

He called her by her first name. And that's when she knew he was serious, and she must really have been acting stupidly. She glanced around, avoiding Leeteuk's gaze only to meet more gazes that made her more uncomfortable.

 

"'Cause Yesung-sshi is missing and none of you are worried!" She answered stubbornly, eyes fixed to the ground. But she knew it wasn't the reason. And she wished Leeteuk would notice that it wasn't the reason. And that he would comfort her and take back his honest but painful words. And that he would hold her until she calms down.

 

But Leeteuk sighed and let go. He stood up and faced Heechul who, apparently, wasn't really shocked with 'the news'. "Missing, eh?" his tone couldn't have been more indifferent.

 

"Not really. As far as I know, a person couldn't be declared missing unless 24 hours have passed" Kyuhyun answered and Seohyun had to look up from what she was doing.

 

"How do you know that?" she desperately tried to hide her amusement.

"I just know" Kyuhyun shrugged.

 

"See, so there's no need to worry so much. Yesung-sshi is a strong and smart man. Nothing'll happen" Yoona smiled though with a trace of uncertainty that even the resident optimist couldn't hide.

"Nothing's happening to those rocks as well. Are you trying to build a fire?" Heechul scoffed. "Epic Fail."

 

"Heechul-sshi" Sungmin said. Seohyun didn't mind him though when suddenly a small metal box was thrown to her direction. She picked it up and her eyebrows furrowed with confusion as she fiddled with it in her hand.

 

"Remember when you said firewood are our only source of heat? Try pressing the button at the top" Kyuhyun's hands were in his pockets and they were all watching as Seohyun pressed it and a red yellow flame flickered out. He snickered triumphantly. "Oh this is why I love gadgets"

 

Seohyun rolled her eyes despite the others' cheerful oohs and aahs and Kyuhyun-sshi-you're-so-cool expressions. Kyuhyun just smiled at them and turned around. Just as he was about to walk away he heard a gruff but happy voice stand out from the chatting crowd say "Thanks, Kyuhyun-sshi~"

 

----------------------------------------

 

his fingers clean of the savory substance from the fish, Eunhyuk murmured "Fish for breakfast, fish for lunch, fish for dinner. Fantastic. It isn't a wonder if we grow fins soon"

 

Sunny shot him a glare while Heechul snickered "That's great. We could swim away from this hell" a bit too bitterly. An awkward silence covered the group after Heechul's mean but weirdly hopeful comment. "You know I don't know what to make of the comment" Jessica said with emotionless eyes, to which Heechul smiled.

 

"Well I'd rather have fins than die of starvation" Seohyun said matter-of-factly as she stood up, her  already tattered jeans showing bits of her flawless skin. The others stood up as well, taking different directions with no particular destination.

 

---------------------------------

 

"Hyung, did you fight with Sungmin-hyung?" Donghae yelled as he ran after Eunhyuk who apparently, deliberately went the exact opposite way from Sungmin. Eunhyuk stopped walking and waited for his brother to catch up to him before shaking his head dismissively.

 

"No. Misunderstanding only, Hae. Don't worry."

"What? Why?" and when his hyung didn't answer, he had to guess "Were you fighting over Sunny?"

 

Eunhyuk's jaw dropped before laughing out loud. "Of course not!" he said before laughing again. "This isn't funny, hyung. You two should make up!"

 

"Misunderstandings lead to complicated problems and if you don't settle it immediately eventually you just find yourselves drifting farter away from each other" His tone made Eunhyuk stop laughing and look at his brother's unusually serious face. "Seriously, hyung. You guys are so childish. This is not the place and time to quarrel. Please" Donghae stared at Eunhyuk's unstable eyes, letting the words sink in before patting his shoulder and ultimately, walking away.

 

Eunhyuk was left watching his brother walk away, and when he finally absorbed all the words, all he could do was smile and think to himself how much his little brother has slowly matured.

 

--------------------------------

 

Colors scattered in the sky like an abstract canvas. Red and yellow and orange as the sun started to set in the horizon. Yoona sighed.

 

"Anything wrong, Yoona-sshi?" Hyoyeon asked before sighing as well herself. "Sorry, stupid question" she laughed softly.

Yoona looked at her and smiled a little "I just miss my family"

 

"Ohh." Hyoyeon simply nodded, understandingly before sitting beside her. "Me too..."

 

"Hey."

 

The two girls looked behind them and saw Donghae bow a little in greeting. His face, though, had a plain expression. Yoona motioned to the space beside her and asked him to sit. Hyoyeon suddenly giggled and Yoona asked her what was the matter.

 

"Do you know that the two of you look good together?" she said with a twinkle in her eye. Yoona flinched, unsure how to react. To tell the truth, Donghae has always been attractive for her. His eyes that seem to speak, so filled with emotions. His child-like antics and most especially, his natural gentleness. She hadn't forgotten how he'd calmed her down when the thunders scared her back then... 

 

Sure they've spent time together, she had spent her time with him more than with anyone else. And at one time, Donghae had briefly told her about his and Jessica's relationship and her instinct tells her he's been hurt. A lot. And she just doesn't want him to feel that pain again. She sincerely does. And somehow, somewhere in the deepest part of her heart... she was hoping that she could completely erase the pain he's been feeling. She just wasn't sure how.

 

"You think so?" Donghae answered with a small but cheeky smile. Hyoyeon nodded enthusiastically before suddenly covering and looking around. "Oh no. Good thing Jessica-sshi isn't around" she murmured to herself, very softly but loud enough that the two heard her. Yoona's eyes widened as she said "Hyoyeon-sshi"

 

Hyoyeon glanced at her and she realized what she said. "Sorry. Ohmygosh. Donghae-sshi--" she blurted out embarrasedly but Donghae shook his head like it's no big deal. "We're already over. Long ago. Don't worry" he said.

 

That's right, we're over. Donghae thought and it still made him sad. He tried to shift his thoughts and the conversation to another topic but then Hyoyeon's comment made him interested.

 

Do you know that the two of you look good together?

 

It made him think whether it was indeed true and somehow, in a weird way, it comforted him. Yoona. The girl who is ever so positive towards life. Who is always beaming and smiling. The only girl whom he could talk to comfortably. He's never let himself go around with girls anymore, after the Jessica thing happened. Until now. Something about Yoona amuses him.

 

He looked at her and as he expected, she looked at him with a bright smile on her face. No matter how troubled they all are, she manages a smile. And even his annoyance with his brothers' childish fight was wiped away by that smile. And it's been so long since he felt this way. And in that moment that they were staring at each other's eyes, he thought that maybe... Just maybe... He'd let himself fall again.

 

While from the other side, Hyoyeon squealed out of delight.

 

--------------------------------

 

Unknowingly, the sun slowly faded once again, hiding behind the horizon and the moon silently takes its place. The day passed like usual, and the people were getting more bored than they were the previous day. Leeteuk approached Taeyeon who was hugging her knees, both of them tired, mentally, physically and for Taeyeon, emotionally.

 

"Taeng. Don't worry I promise we'll get out of here soon. Please don't act this way..." he sighed as he looked at the very melancholic Taeyeon. She let out a bitter laugh. He had assumed that she's just had had enough of this island, just like Heechul, and Kyuhyun and everybody else in this island including himself. And knowing Taeyeon, she's worse in tolerating this situation as compared to the others. What for her wailing during the first day. Maybe she's broke down already. He was on tge verge of it too. Just trying hard not to think of the business he's left is all he could do to not break down as well.

 

She shook her head. "Oppa." was all she could say before tears finally spilled all over her face. He scrambled to his feet and kneeled in front of her, hushing her as she ended up wailing like a kid just as she did the first day. He her hair, trying to calm her down as he whispered soothing gentle words. But Taeyeon kept sobbing for the gesture doesn't really become comforting. The more he did that the more it hurt her. Because she knew that he was doing it the way a good oppa does to a younger sister.

 

Suddenly Eunhyuk and Kyuhyun arrived, both panting. The latter frowned upon seeing Leeteuk cuddling the messed up Taeyeon before realizing the matter at hand. Eunhyuk took a ragged breath before saying "Excuse me, but something's happened"

 

Leeteuk looked up at the two with a confused expression. He whispered something at Taeyeon who sobbed twice before trying to muffle herself. "What is it?" Leeteuk asked as Taeyeon wiped her tears. They just motioned their heads towards a certain direction  inside the woods and Leeteuk assisted Taeyeon to her feet before they followed the two men towards the dark tree-lined area.

 

About 50 yards away they could see the sillhouettes of the others, all gathered up. They finally arrived in the spot surrounded by huge coconut trees and Taeyeon literally gasped aloud at what she saw.

 

A single shoe, a ripped cloth which apparently had been a shirt with a couple drops of blood around it. The scene itself was spine-chilling but what really made all of them have goosebumps is that the shoe and shirt looks extremely familiar.

 

Sunny had one hand covering while Seohyun closely examined the drops of blood. Leeteuk did headcounts since the moment they arrived and he could see that even Jessica was biting her lip. Everybody subconsciously held their breaths until Taeyeon resumed sobbing and murmured...

 

"Don't tell me, it's..."

 

---------------------------------

 

Oooh! Can you guys guess what Taeyeon was about to say? Hahaha. Well another really late update but uhm, I just hope you enjoyed the little SeoKyu and YoonHae moments. As I said in Chapter 17's author notes, this would be the beginning of a sort of angst part of the stroy. :))

 

For HeeSica, I just want to clear out that they are not inlove with each other. Not yet maybe. But as of the moment it's just that they are some sort of friends. What they feel will be seen in the next chapters. So chill, HaeSica shippers. I will put more moments for that couple later on. But maybe you have noticed, there weren't much moments for them lately. I guess I have to admit, I don't really ship them. So yeah. :))  

 

Well... As of now, I want to hear your guesses on what happened. Haha.

Comments please~ ^____^