Chapter 26: Identity crises

A Perfect Summer?

 

Seohyun glanced behind her warily.

"Why?" Kyuhyun asked.

 

The two had been tensed up since what Seohyun saw. Leeteuk had been busy sleeping, as if too much crying had eventually tired him.

 

"It's moving..." she murmured.

 

"Really? I'll check..." Kyuhyun stood up carefully. He fixed his eyes on the bushes in the far east side of the swamp and noticed they were indeed moving quite unnaturally. Wolves? He contemplated on the thought. What wild animals are probably existing in this island?

 

"K-Kyuhyun-ssi. Careful..." Seohyun murmured and he looked at her and smiled. "No worries. That's rule number 4, isn't it?"

 

Seohyun chuckled lightly as Kyuhyun continued to walk closer to the bushes. He walked from the side of the bushes, and he stepped quietly, carefully. Kyuhyun made sure whatever was behind it would not see him. He was a few feet away when he heard... voices? Yes, sure, they were speaking. And it's human language. Kyuhyun sighed, both relieved and unbelievingly.

 

"Ssh.. Quiet! We aren't sure what that smoke signal's for." a female voice spoke.

"I can't see so well. But it looks like... there's a girl." a familiar male said.

 

Kyuhyun abruptly divided the bush in the middle, pushing away the leaves with both his hands... revealing four people sitting in a row.

 

"AHH!" Hyoyeon screamed, covering her face with her palms while the three others stared at Kyuhyun with wide eyes and loud gasps.

 

Kyuhyun frowned, "G-guys? What are you doing there?!"

 

Sungmin gaped, "K-Kyuhyun-ssi... The smoke..."

 

Seohyun started walking towards them as she noticed the ruckus. She saw how the four people slowly emerged from the bushes and she couldn't help but giggle with relief. "I made it." she explained, "The smoke signal... It worked!"

 

She looked at Kyuhyun triumphantly, "They came here because of the smoke!"

"Yeah, yeah. That's cool..." Kyuhyun said dismissively but with a slight smile.

 

Sunny started laughing and jumping, "You guys! We thought the smoke was from... y'know other people... but it's just you! I'm so happy! You're safe!"

 

"Yeah, you're safe too..." Seohyun beamed and suddenly remembered, "Ah, yes. I made that because..."

 

"Ta-da~" Kyuhyun said and they all saw the swamp. Hyoyeon simply looked at him confusedly. "Wow, water..." she said.

 

That seemed to click something in Sungmin's head. "Wait, you mean that's fresh water?!" but he wasn't really expecting an answer as he ran to the swamp and starting drinking. He'd been thirstier than he actually let on. The three followed and drank as well.

 

Sunny was still wiping the water that was dripping from her chin as she asked, "You found this? And you made the smoke just to show us this?"

 

"Uh.. Yes and no." Seohyun answered and Sunny tilted her head. "Well, yes we accidentally found this." she glanced at Leeteuk and told the story. "But that's not why we signalled you..." she looked at Kyuhyun and he explained his theory about how the person (or people) living must be close here.

 

Sungmin nodded comprehendingly while Eunhyuk merely kept glancing at Hyoyeon, obviously distracted.

 

Seohyun told them about the man she saw, assuring the nervous Sunny that he seemed not to know about them yet.

 

"But if so... staying here isn't very wise. They'd come here for water soon..." Sungmin said thoughtfully.

"True." Kyuhyun agreed, "But Yoona-ssi and the others..."

 

"I don't think they saw or figured the smoke signal yet..." Seohyun shook her head, "I should stay here and wait for them. You guys go."

 

"What?! Are you kidding?" Kyuhyun was flabbergasted.

"No, that's against rule number two." Seohyun said.

 

"Rule number two?" Sunny asked, confused.

 

"Kyuhyun-ssi, teamwork, rule number three. It's not always sticking together." Seohyun insisted.

 

Sunny glanced at Sungmin but he only shrugged.

 

"But it's not about leaving anyone behind!" Kyuhyun said.

But Seohyun was certain, "I can manage. Leave us. Leeteuk-ssi and I. I'll explain to him when he wakes up. We'll hide in that bush."

"Seohyun-ssi, no wa--"

 

"Look, Kyuhyun-ssi." she held his hand, "I can do this. Besides, I can always smoke signal you if anything happens."

Kyuhyun looked at her eyes. "At least take this..." he reached for his pocket and pulled out the metal lighter. "And remember... Rule number four..."

 

"Always be careful~" Seohyun said, taking the lighter. "You too, okay?"

 

Kyuhyun nodded.

 

"Maybe we'll follow you guys when they arrive here..." Seohyun stated and the others nodded, amazed at her courage.

 

Finally, though still reluctant, Kyuhyun let go of her hands and turned to the group. "Let's go..."

 

--------------------------------------

 

"Whoa~"

 

It was a two-story house made of wood, not your typical dream house, obviously made from scrap and without architectural design. It wasn't exactly huge nor does it look like a vacation house. Of course, who would want a vacation house in an undeveloped island...

 

But still, after sleeping in a crowded make-shift room, Taeyeon was quite amazed at the house, to think that such a thing existed in the middle of a forest. It still wasn't very welcoming though. And she still wondered if it was a witch's house or something.

 

The man opened the door and as she took the first step in, part of her still screamed You are entering the house of your death Kim Taeyeon! Run while you still can!

 

But she didn't. Instead, she went in on her own will. The man never pushed nor dragged her in. It was crazy and perhaps suicidal but as the man wordlessly motioned to a chair, she found herself sitting down. Fortunately, it wasn't electric and no ropes were tied upon her. Which was kind of weird if you ask her.

 

"This... This is your house?" she asked casually as if she was just back in Seoul, accepting an elementary school classmate's invitation to visit her new house.

 

The man nodded as he poured something from a pot into two bowls.

 

Taeyeon glanced around: a wooden coal stove, a small table, two chairs, and on the other side was a window and a wooden, creaky staircase that led to the upper floor. Perhaps, she thought, that's where the victims are tortured because the ground floor looked so... normal.

 

He placed the two bowls on top of the table and Taeyeon noticed everything else in the house was made of wood except for the bowl which was ceramic and the metal utensils. That was kind of odd and it even made her forget that it was even more peculiar that she's calmly dining here with a super muscular stranger who could strangle her with one hand.

 

The soup tasted great. If Taeyeon was her normal self, she'd thrown the bowl hysterically and suspect that the soup had poison or sleeping pills or even human intestines as main ingredient. But here she was, emptying it almost immediately, not to mention how hungry she's been. But that wasn't the reason.

 

Weird as it is, she was starting to realize that she wasn't very afraid of this man after all.

 

And as he watched him climb up the stairs, she realized that she in fact finds him a nice guy... and that maybe she could even trust him.

 

--------------------------------------

 

Something about those braids seemed to pull a couple of Eunhyuk's heartstrings. Those braids seemed to trigger both his memories and emotions. Memories and emotions that date way back since middle school.

 

It was just so... similar. He thought as his hyung decided that they go towards that smoke. The braids. It was almost exactly as he pictures in his mind. And her eyes that struck him before. Everything just seemed to be so like her... and yet quite different.

 

Kim Hyoyeon definitely cannot be that girl from Mokpo. His childhood friend had been so timid, so shy. And Hyoyeon is always so quirky. But then... maybe that's the only difference.

 

But she can't be.

 

Because he knew deep inside him, he has been toying with Hyoyeon. Sungmin hyung had told him not to but what could he do? He's too bored. He definitely cannot even get close to Taeyeon (even before she goes missing that is. With Leeteuk acting like a bodyguard). Not Sunny; he's been sure Sungmin likes her yet he doesn't quite admit it yet. Jessica is out of the question. Yoona is pretty and all that but she wouldn't even look at him and Seohyun is just too smart for a boy like him.

 

So Hyoyeon. Well, Sungmin has told him how Hyoyeon apparently likes him. Not that he needs to be told anyway. It's just... obvious. Which makes flirting with her all the more fun.

 

I am such a jerk. He told himself.

 

She definitely cannot be that girl. She can't. Because Eunhyuk had already planned a super suave way to introduce himself if they ever met again. He had practiced that so many times already so how could he not recognize her. How could she know him as a super stupid playboy.

 

But childhood girl or not, as Eunhyuk looks at Hyoyeon, he decided he's going to stop playing with Hyoyeon. It's not even a game to begin with. And he's got to apologize now or he might not get the courage again later.

 

He was about to approach her when he suddenly slipped over a thick layer of damp, green moss.

 

Sungmin and Hyoyeon quickly jogged towards him and asked the usual "Are you okay?" "Are you hurt anywhere?" "Can you stand?"

 

But the questions barely registered in his mind for all he could focus on was Hyoyeon's worried eyes. He remember nodding and letting her assist him up.

 

He walked as if in a trance, not really minding were they were heading.

 

Because as he gazed upon Hyoyeon's eyes, he realized one thing. Perhaps he'd eventually shudder over even just thinking this, but cheesy as it was, he figured that his heart had already confirmed what his mind cannot.

 

That the wild thumping of his heart previously only elicited by the Mokpo girl... was now also caused by Kim Hyoyeon.

 

--------------------------------------

 

He guessed it was about mid-morning when the man returned to check on him again. He was a buff, muscular man. In the faint stream of morning sunshine, Yesung could vividly see the man's face.

 

He figured the man could be considered attractive if not for the weariness painted upon his face with a diagonal scar on his right cheek as if it had been sliced, and the gloominess his mere presence emitted. To Yesung, the man must've been around his age, only too much suffering seemed to turn him 10 years older.

 

He shifted uncomfortably as the man took a step closer. Yesung wanted to scoot away from him but that would only make him a few feet farther. In this small room, there was no chance for escape. Not that he's strong enough to do so anyway.

 

The man had an unreadable expression and Yesung tried to hide the fear he was feeling. Huge drops of sweat trickled down his forehead.

 

"W-who are you?" he managed but his voice sounded like a cornered mouse's squeak. He was terrified, no doubt about that. But hey, when you're stuck in a dark room in the middle of an island in the middle of nowhere with a man who could be a psycho or a cannibal and you have absolutely no escape or help to expect... sure, even his favorite action star Bruce Lee himself must've felt his stomach do somersaults.

 

The man gazed at him like he was regarding whether he'd taste better fried or grilled. Yesung swallowed. He wanted to scream but he was sure the winds would only drown them. Besides, he wasn't even sure if his voice could manage that. Cool. Absolutely no help coming. His boat passengers must've figured out he's dead -fallen into a pit and starved until he rot alone. Besides, why would they try to save a stupid boatman who'd failed to maneuver his boat well and thus led them to this hell of an island. He could only hope none of them would get seen by this man and suffer what he's going through right now.

 

But as he looked into the man's ice cold, piercing eyes, he thought falling into a pit must've still been a better way to die.

 

"You really don't know me?"

 

The man's extremely cold voice was enough to make Yesung's hair stand but what's worse were the words he said. Of course I don't know you crazy psycho! How could I know you! He wanted to yell at him but figured it wouldn't be the smartest thing to say.

 

The man smirked but his eyes remained emotionless.

 

"I see. You sure don't know me... huh, Kim Jongwoon."

 

------------------------------------

Haha. I just noticed that all the three consecutive chapters started with SeoKyu didn't they? Well.. ok nvm lol.

There's this Eunhyuk 'solo' part like the Sungmin part in the previous chapter and maybe I'd put a Donghae one on the next because I keep forgetting that they are leads and make it as if everyone's the same... uhm, rank. That could be, yeah sure... but... I don't know. I want to give the three extra "screen time". Haha. 

 

But yeah.. Is this chapter short? I think so. I am actually typing this the same day I posted chapter 25. Just hid it from you mehehehe~

 

Thanks for the friend requests by the way. =)))) 

 

I talk a lot. Sorry. Kbye.  ♥