Chapter 5: Moments, Moments

A Perfect Summer?

 

"Yah! The woods are stretched this way. Why suddenly change directions?!" Sungmin heard Heechul yell at him, obviously not seeing Sunny. He looked back at the group... "You guys go on, I... I found something--"

"Yah! You said we should go. Now you suddenly tell us to go on our own. What the hell dude?!" He yelled once more.

"Don't you think it isn't wise to separate from the group? We don't know this place yet, who knows what dangers are around here." He was moved by Seohyun's genuine concern but it only made him think of that girl's  welfare more... Sungmin apologized and said "I'll be fine seohyun-sshi" then he jogged off. He knew Heechul might run after him, but he could only hope someone stops him.

Apparently, someone did 'cause when he looked back after a few feet, they had their backs at him. He then noticed Kyuhyun look back at him and... winked. Making a mental note to thank him later, Sungmin walked the remaining distance.

Now though, it seemed Sunny had stopped sobbing and is wiping her eyes. She's got good senses too because she suddenly turned to his direction; her face wasn't scared though, unlike what Sungmin predicted... it was rather, questioning. He took once step nearer but Sunny didn't move a bit; her gaze fixed at him.

 

When Sungmin finally reached her, she turned her gaze to the ground. He sat beside her, keeping comfortable distance. He cleared his throat. "Y-you're Sunny, right?" he tried to start a conversation. She nodded and Sungmin was struck by a confident aura around her, by the way she nodded and quickly changed topic. "That. What happened at the ocean... I want to thank you."

Sungmin was just about to answer when she spoke again "Where were you supposed to be going?" He had to blink first before he could answer... "Uh... The woods. We kind of agreed to gather firewood and food before dark" he smiled. She removed her eyes from him and stoop up. "L-Let's go" Sungmin was so startled for two reasons; first, by her natural elegance that even if she's short, the way she stood is elegant... and second, by her words... Was she really--?

"Yes, I'm telling you to go with me. I... There's no way we're getting out of here today nor tomorrow... i don't want to seem useless so... We should help" she said as if reading his mind. Her open-mindedness and strong-will amazed Sungmin. He even started to wonder whether he actually saw her crying minutes ago.

He stood up and flashed his charming eye-smile at her "Right. Let's go."

 

-------------------------------

 

Sungmin was brought out of his thoughts when he almost tripped over a branch. He picked it up and thinking that he'd gathered enough wood, he glanced around to look for his companions. Seeing a flash of blonde among the greens and browns of the woods, he walked towards that direction. Just then, he noticed a swish of something...

Looking up, he realized that it was an uprooted coconut tree, perhaps because of the storm, falling straight towards Sunny. Without second thought, he broke into a run and as Sunny bent down to reach a wood, Sungmin dived and hugged her,  rolling both their bodies away from danger. They were lucky to miss the coconut tree in just a split second as the tree then fell with a loud thud.

Sungmin opened his eyes, both of them panting. Their eyes locked for two seconds until they realized they were still hugging each other. Her small face was centimeters away from his and her eyes were wide with shock. Sungmin immediately removed his arms from her body and awkwardly looked around, avoiding her gaze which was still fixed at him. He stood up, reached his hand out to her when she whispered "Th-Thank you", her gaze on the ground. Sungmin smiled and held her hand, pulling her up. 

 

He smiled sweetly, and reached the woods by her feet. "Oh oh. I--" "No worries, I'll carry them. I think we should head back now, the others could be there as well." Sunny nodded and tried to dust away the mud on her dress. She was obviously grossed out by the dirt and Sungmin thought she must've been from a rich family. "Oh." Sungmin suddenly turned back dropping the woods gently. "We could eat and drink these coconuts" he said happily.

"It was a good thing it fell, it seems." he laughed and Sunny giggled a bit. Picking up the coconuts from the tree, he can't even erase the smile on his face.

 

After picking all, he tied them with the branches and carried them on his shoulders. Then he bent down to pick up the woods. Sunny was captivated by his broad shoulders, highlighted by his burdens. Though he was a bit chubby and small in height, he was adorable and Sunny remembered having the urge to hug him longer a while ago... His baby face and cute features only made him more charming and cute. She blinked, forcing away all the thoughts. Together, the two found their way back...

 

------------------------------

 

When Eunhyuk finally woke up for the second time, he felt remarkably better. He found it easy to sit up and realized that his arm was bandaged with a new cloth wrapping a couple of leaves he hardly recognized.

 

"Ah. Y-you're awake. Feeling better?" Hyoyeon, who was doodling on the sand, asked Eunhyuk, and he noticed her slightly blushing cheeks. He nodded, totally forgetting the first time he woke up. "Wh-where are they?" he asked.

"They gathered firewood and some food. Ahh i'm starving." she answered while touching her tummy. Eunhyuk smiled faintly, "Donghae. He's with them?" Hyoyeon shook her head and glanced past Hyuk's shoulder. "He was lying there a few moments ago... Oh there he i--"

"Did you put this?" Eunhyuk lifted his casted arm a bit. That's when Hyoyeon understood that Eunhyuk forgot clinging to her for help a while ago. "Yeah." she simply answered when she felt the same cold hands hold hers and he whispered "Thank you."

 

------------------------------

 

"Oh." Seohyun exclaimed almost excitedly. Kyuhyun glanced at her direction and walked towards her. "Hey. What's so exciting?"

"It's a peacock." she answered, eyes fixed on the animal. Kyuhyun rolled his eyes. "Is it your first time seeing a peacock?"

"In its natural habitat, well yes." Seohyun answered matter-of-factly. Sly Kyuhyun then asked her "So, is that peacock a female or a male?" but the other just looked at him like he just said something absurd. Ignoring him, she asked where the others were. "You don't know, eh?" he snickered. "What? Answer me, lady know-it-all"

"Why are you the only one left, why are we the only ones left?! Where are they??"

"Ha. I knew it. Okay I'll let you out this time little miss smarties" he again slyly replied.

 

"Aish. Peacocks are all males. 'Female peacocks' are called peahens. This one here, since it's very colorful is obviously male. Now will you just stop calling me names?!" she was exasperated. Kyuhyun brought his face close to hers, closer, closer, until it's too close, about 4 inches apart and whispered "No" before laughing out loud. Seohyun visibly turned red and almost slapped him out of annoyance and perhaps, embarassment but reminded herself that slapping strangers isn't very nice.

"Not until you tell me your name, that is." he said after he managed to stop laughing. Seohyun turned her back and walked away, to the opposite direction. Kyuhyun ran after her, repeatedly shouting "hey". Seohyun finally stopped only to look at him and puffed "Will you never stop?!" to which he slowly shook his head mockingly. She ruffled her long black hair and inhaled sharply. "Seohyun. Seo Joohyun. But just call me Seohyun, okay."

Kyuhyun grinned charmingly and nodded upwards, "Hello Seohyun" he answered and for the first time since they arrived, he thought he saw the smallest yet sweetest smile cross her lips.

 

-----------------------------

 

Heechul left the group the instant Leeteuk said they start gathering what they think would be useful and edible. He's really irked by the way this man acts leader... And by the way everyone actually accepts his authority. Everyone, except him of course. He was after all, Kim Heechul. The Space Big Star Kim Heechul.

He kicked a rock in his path, throwing all of his annoyance on the poor gravel. He was annoyed enough that he ended up in this rotten island in the first place. And now he's got no choice but to endure the people he was trapped here with. Ugh. If only his phone hadn't sank on the ocean he'd been calling his manager since the first second. But he realized that there's perhaps no signal in here, like the movies say. Rotten island.

 

He was about to kick the coconut tree in front of him as well, when he saw strands of blonde waving with the cool breeze. He peeked and saw the girl he sat beside in the boat. The girl with a sharp tongue and frozen attitude. And she seemed lost in her thoughts... staring at that boy. He observed the boy, walking from the ocean side towards the pale girl. Then he observed the girl sitting just a few feet from him yet she never noticed him.

 

Despite being his usually over-confident self, he had to gather every bit of courage to finally say "Hey". She looked behind her revealing an attractive yet somewhat unreadable face. She gave no further response and Heechul had to continue. "Everyone's out there looking for food and stuff. While... you're here sitting pretty". He almost slammed his face in his hands, he was trying to be nice and for some reason, wanted to comfort her but he wasn't really good in expressing himself. Honestly, he was never really able to express himself and ends up being mean. "Say, what's your name?" he finally asked, sitting beside her.

 

She smirked while staring at the ground. "Why should you know?".

 

Heechul was taken aback by the stiffness in her tone. "Why are you so cold?!" he was starting to be frustrated.

 

I asked her name but she didn't even give a damn. Who is this girl? "Aish. Look, I don't want to know. I just want to... Make conversation" he muttered.

 

"I don't want conversation" she buried her face in her knees.

He was really annoyed "Fine!" He stood up abruptly.

She suddenly spoke, making Heechul look at her again. "I'm not... I'm not someone you should be talking to. I'm..." she sighed once more.

 

"Why?" Heechul seriously asked. "I'm just a stupid girl..." and Heechul was struck by her uniqueness. This girl is just so... Interesting.

 

She stood up and he watched her  sadly walk away.

 

...

 

Behind them, dark clouds were still visible, as if mocking them.. Saying that this is only the beginning.

 

--------------------------

 

Hihihi. From the beginning, Kyuhyun actually winked at Ming. I bet you knew it was because he was the one who stopped Hee from following and arguing with Ming. He kind of knew why Ming was doing so. Eek sorry, but I terribly ship KyuMin. Perhaps you could expect more moments to come... B)

HeeSica. I almost didn't make any changes with Heenim's real-life self. Outspoken but has a hard time expressing himself. Oh, and just to clear the timeline... HeeSica's conversation took place at the same time as SunSun's  coconut tree encounter, HyoHyuk's, and SeoKyu's conversation. SunSun's first conversation happened before all of them, because it was at the time the others were still asleep. That means, still only a short time had passed since they arrived. :)

Thanks for subscribing!! Please comment~ ^^