Chapter 11: Chances Are...

A Perfect Summer?

 

"Hey guys" Leeteuk looked questioningly from Sungmin to Kyuhyun then back to Sungmin again, hoping for further details but knew none was coming.

"They make sense, actually" Yesung commented, thoughts shifting to the "eyes" from this morning. "How could I have not thought of it earlier"

 

On other times, Kyuhyun would most probably say something like "because you're a nut head" or "how stupid of you"; but not now... Because he was seriously wondering over the chances of other people here.

 

Heechul picked up a piece of wood, with an unbelievably serious expression. "Who cares about other people in here. If there really were, then they should've shown up by now. Why haven't we met them? In fact, those are only your theories right?" he viewed. "We should start"

 

The others reacted obligingly.

 

-----------------------

 

"And then again, the girls have nothing to do" Yoona sighed. They were staring at the ocean, again.

 

The sun was at its peak, shining brightly. Sunny kept scratching her skin, irritated. "Do you have allergies?" Seohyun noticed.

"No. I just want to take a bath" she answered.

 

"Me too" Taeyeon said. "Say, Taeyeon-sshi, What is your relationship with Leeteuk-sshi? You seem close." Yoona asked, and the other felt herself turn red.

 

"Oh. We-- We're business partners" she avoided Yoona's gaze. "And?" the younger giggled. "Huh? What? Uh. Friends. Bestfriends, i guess" The girls remained quiet, urging her to continue. "Well we have been close since junior year"

 

"Woah. That's a long time friendship!" Yoona was turning giddy again. "Why Yoona-sshi, have you lost contact with your friends from Junior high?" Taeyeon's eyebrows crossed.

She sighed, "I don't think I ever had real friends... I always wanted to have one though"

 

"Ah. Maybe you were anxious about making friends with us yesterday that's why you were ple, right?" Taeyeon hypothesized and Yoona flinched. "No. Uh... It's because..."

 

Hyoyeon suddenly remembered something from last night.

 

"Eunhyuk's reaction..." she subconsciously said out loud. "Huh?" Yoona turned to her.

"Oh!" she was shocked... "uh... Jessica-sshi~ Do you and Eunhyuk-sshi know each other?"

 

The others were utterly surprised. Jessica too, she had to blink twice and look at the ground for a moment. "Yes?" Hyoyeon pressed for an answer.

 

"Yeah. I know those guys" she gazed at the three who were busy working. "Sungmin and Eunhyuk... oppa, and... Donghae" she had thought twice whether to still call the older two 'oppa' after everything that happened... But then Yoona's immediate questions made her realize she should've just call them formally.

 

"Oppa? So you're close with them? And Donghae-sshi is the same age as you? Is that right Jessica-sshi? How did you know them?"

 

Jessica rolled her eyes at the hyper active girl but she knew she had to answer.

 

"We-- we were from the same middle and junior high school. Teenage friends, well almost bestfriends?" as far as what she said, everything was truth.  however, there was a lot more to it. "Ohh..." was all Yoona could say.

 

"But Hyoyeon-sshi, how did you know?" Seohyun asked. She shrugged, "I just assumed..." and I assumed correctly... How crazy. What were actually the chances that Eunhyuk knew her?!

 

Yoona stood up, "I want to help them" and skidded off before anyone could stop her. Jessica watched as Donghae smile warmly upon seeing her... That smile. I haven't seen that in a long time.

 

"I really didn't think that Jessica and those brothers know each other" Sunny commented and Seohyun agreed "They haven't even talked nor greeted each other" "Weird, right?" Hyoyeon was very curious.

 

Taeyeon gave a faint smile as she saw how Jessica gazed at Donghae. "I don't know what happened back then, but I think you should talk" She tapped Jessica's shoulder twice before walking towards the boys.

 

She didn't understand Taeyeon's actions and words, but she knew she was right. By then, she had decided that she will approach him later tonight.

 

--------------------------

 

Long and thick logs served as posts, the cut up woods as walls  with one side open and huge  thick leaves topped it all, as if a roof with coconuts in the corners for weights in case winds blow. It is very makeshift in appearance, about only three feet in height and every one had to crouch down to enter. It was at least wide enough for them to stay in, in case it rains though there is no enough space for all twelve to sleep. Perhaps, if some could sleep while sitting it would be possible. Poor, but it was enough, it had to. It wasn't as if they even had a choice.

 

Yoona was bouncing up and down out of happiness, while the others half-admiringly, half-dissapointedly stared at it.

 

Donghae inhaled deeply and glanced at Jessica who, perhaps because of instinct, glanced back at him. For a second their eyes locked and emotions came rushing back to Jessica.

 

He looked at the sand consciously as he noticed her expression and resolved that he's going to approach her now.

 

---------------------------

 

Eunhyuk stretched his arms, sore from carrying the materials to and fro. He removed his shirt, revealing a very well-toned body. Then he wiped the sweat off his face using the beige-colored shirt.

 

Meanwhile, it took all of Hyoyeon's willpower not to squeal. She has always admired Eunhyuk's talent in dancing, as she as well has a "hidden passion" for it. More so, he has always matched her ideal type and had this crazy crush on him ever since. Staring at her crush this close, she felt like this island is a glimpse of heaven in itself.

 

"Oh my gosh. How could you remove your clothes so casually like that!" Sunny interrupted her happy thoughts with a sudden yell.

 

"Why?" Eunhyuk asked indifferently to which the other scoffed. "You're attracted by my body, aren't you?" He winked... then slowly, he took steps closer and closer to Sunny. Drops of sweat were dripping on his body and Hyoyeon was starting to hyperventilate. Inches far from Sunny, he stopped and faintly laughed.

 

"You're not attracted with my perfect abs?" he asked and she rolled her eyes. "Perfect?! What the-- No. I don't like guys with abs  or whatever..." Sunny answered.

 

"Ha! Great!" Eunhyuk was giddy, to the two girls extreme surprise. "Hey, hyung!" he called to Sungmin while jogging to him. When he reached him, he tapped Sungmin's belly and whispered something that made Sungmin hit him on the arm playfully. "Shut up. I don't care" Sungmin laughed.

 

Hyoyeon didn't understand a thing about Eunhyuk's actions but she has well-observed that there is a huge chance that Eunhyuk is interested in Sunny. What the fu-- She sighed out of disappointment.

 

---------------------------

 

Donghae took a step to the opposite direction while the others tried going inside the "house". "Donghae-ah let's--" Eunhyuk called out but Sungmin held his arm and pulled his brother inside...

 

"Why hyung?"

"I guess he finally found the courage" Sungmin smiled.

 

---------------------------

 

Just as Jessica was about to go nearer the house, she heard a familiar voice with an unnatural tone call her "Sica~"

 

She looked behind her and saw Donghae. He still looked dashing despite the troubles they encountered... His face had an unreadable expression, but as always, his eyes mirrored his inner feelings. Troubled and nervous. And possibly, hurt. She cussed herself for what she did before.

 

She just stared at him with a poker face, there was nothing she could say.

Jessica turned away, walking to the opposite direction. Not because she wanted to escape him, but because she just wanted to talk, away from the others. And knowing Donghae, he would follow her... Or at least the Donghae from 5 years ago would.

After having reached a comfortable distance from the others, she stopped and looked back. It amused her to see Donghae stand behind her just half a meter away. Jessica smiled inside. Some things never change.

 

"Why?" she asked and he was caught off guard. She knew he must have prepared something, like beating round the bush at first with the usual greetings. But she had no interest in greetings, she wanted to talk about what's obvious and what's urgent. Us. She wanted to talk about what's happened to us.

 

With her sudden question, Donghae was almost at a loss. "Uh..." he puckered his lips. "It has been long, Sica"

 

I knew it. Greetings. Right. It has been long, we could at least start with the usual... to relieve the awkward air, if that was in any way possible...

 

"Yeah. But it seems you haven't changed"

"You too"

 

Now that caught her off guard... Me too? I haven't changed? Yeah, perhaps...

 

"Except for the hair, that is" he added, awkwardly, touching the back of his head. Despite herself, she found her tension loosening a bit, and that was the only time she realized that she actually was tensed.

 

"I never expected to see you here. I-- I mean, at the p-port, of course"

 

Cute. He's stuttering again... Like the first time we talked.

"I know. Me either" she inhaled sharply...

 

He didn't speak, instead he just avoided her gaze. A cold wind blew and Jessica rubbed her arm. "Thank you" she ended up saying, looking at the ground.

"For what?"

"Yesterday, I almost drowned..."

"Ohh. That."

"You haven't forgot"

"What?"

"That I can't swim?"

"Yeah, of course..." he faintly laughed.

Of course? What the hell could that mean? She simply nodded; the awkwardness is almost suffocating.

"Hae?"

"Hm?" he hummed, finally fixing his eyes at hers.

 

Could we start over? She wanted to say but she wasn't quite sure how.

 

"Why?" she just went back to her original question. "Why did you follow me? It's because you have something to say right? Go on, say it"

He touched the bridge of his nose, buying time...

 

"Uh. At that time..."

 

Okay, here it goes... She inhaled deeply.

 

"I didn't even get to... I- uh... A proper goodbye" he muttered. "You see mom insisted we study in Seoul, so..."

"I know, Hae. I know" she responded, but deep inside she wondered why he isn't opening what actually happened back then. Like the kiss thing.

 

"We didn't even... Had a formal... breakup" he shifted his gaze to the ocean. She too stared at the wide blue waters and nodded.

"Could that mean that we aren't over yet?" she asked and the other looked at her, surprised.

 

"I'm just kidding. I mean, it's obvious..."  she waved reassuringly and he seemed to understand. How I wish everything was just a joke.

 

Another cold breeze blew and Jessica hugged herself, feeling extremely cold and empty inside. Donghae noticed and said "We should go back..." turning back.

 

"Couldn't we start over?" Jessica subconsciously blurted out. He looked at her and saw Jessica's sad eyes straight at him. As much as he wanted to try, as much as he pitied her at the moment... He knew very well that he couldn't.

 

He took off his gray coat, leaving a black sleeveless and his bare arm muscles. Carefully, he wrapped the coat around her and shook his head "Jessica, you know that--"

 

"I know it might not work out but the chances that we eventually could is still not zero, right?" she tried once more, tears starting to form.

 

"I've been trying to move on, Sica... Please... You should too" And he tapped her shoulder gently as he led the way back to their shelter.

 

----------------------------

 

If you guys are disappointed as to why this fic is so filled with "YoonHaeHeeSica" moments, Please don't be. I just decided to focus on HaeSica's past for now because I get confused a bit if I put all the couples at the same time. And don't hate me if the HaeSica couple isn't all so sweet. They will work out in the end. Oh, maybe. I really don't know yet. HAHAHAHA. Sorry am I a tease? But I hope you also notice the "INDIRECT" SunSun and HyoHyuk moments. Haha.

 

What actually happened in the past? I'll reveal it in the next chapter so pleasee stay subscribed! Thanks for the comments anyway. :))) 

And I have decided to keep Taeyeon since she got the most votes. So yeah. TaeTeuk wins. Thanks for answering the poll :)))