Chapter 7: Backgrounds and "Backgrounders"

A Perfect Summer?

 

"Donghae-ah!" Sungmin kept his tone calm. The three were a few meters from the bonfire, standing beside a huge acacia tree.

"Hyung! That Heechul guy is--" Donghae countered. "I know. I know, but just... We need to keep good terms with the people here.  It's nice if we learn to make friends with them." Sungmin explained. "Okay hyung, I undersand" and that made Sungmin smile.

 

"Wait Hae. That... Jessica" Eunhyuk opened the topic that bothered him. "She's that girl, right?" Donghae dropped his gaze to the ground and nodded. Sungmin placed a hand on his brother's shoulder "I still haven't forgot what happened hyung" Donghae sighed. "Avoid her! Just remain in... the background, okay?" Eunhyuk adviced. Sungmin turned his head to Hyuk. "How about your arm? Better?"

"Yeah" he replied "Hyoyeon put some leaves, i guess it's healed". "That's good, Eunhyuk" Sungmin emphasized his brother's self-imposed name, obviously not amused.

"Hyung, I--"

"Hyukjae, you never change. Still making up other names for yourself. That's so childish" Sungmin firmly stated but smiling, he continued "But I see nothing wrong with it so..." he shrugged and 'Eunhyuk' grinned.

 

"I'm... Scared, hyung." Donghae suddenly confessed. "When will we get out of here? It's starting to get darker and...--"

"Sssh... Everything's... gonna be fine. We'll protect each other" Sungmin smiled reassuringly, trying to hide the building nervousness inside of him.  But he knew he got to stay composed, for the sake of his two brothers. Eunhyuk placed an arm on Sungmin's shoulder "Right. Besides, there are pretty girls around us" he snickered and Sungmin hit the back of his head lightly. Slightly laughing, they went back to the bonfire.

 

--------------------------

 

"Hey! Hey! Wait up!" Heechul kept yelling but Jessica just continued to run.

"Wait!!!" He said grabbing her arm. She was panting as they stopped and she tried to free her arm from his grip but he didn't let go.

"We should go back to the group. It's safer around there" he said. "Haha. Not really" she answered stubbornly, eyes to the wide dark ocean beyond them.

"What do you mean? Why are you running away?" he loosened the grip, but didn't let go.

 

"Donghae." she almost whispered. "Oh. That kid. He irritated you too--?"

"He's my ex" she answered which made Heechul suddenly totally remove his hand from her arm. "He acted as if he doesn't know me. Ha." he saw how she was trying to suppress her tears. "I. I am really stupid" she blinked thrice, forcing the tears to disappear.

"You still love him, eh?" Heechul asked and a damn stubborn tear fell from her eyes. That was enough of an answer... She felt helpless and stupid and lost and for some stupid reason, she ended up hugging Heechul and sobbed, tears uncontrollably falling down.

 

He, on the other hand, was stunned and despite everything, he felt disappointed, very disappointed with himself... because though he is Kim Heechul, he was no knight, because he wasn't good in advices, because there was nothing more he could do at that moment, than offer his shoulder for this distressed damsel.

 

-------------------------

 

The moon shone brightly, thousands of stars flickered and the sky showed no sign of the terrible, terrible storm just hours ago. That is, except for this group of young people who ended up laying on the damp sand.

 

Bodies and minds exhausted, clothes wet with ocean water, and stomachs grumbling of hunger, there was no time nor energy to complain. Everyone started laying down to rest.

 

....

 

Rustle. Rustle rustle.

 

Sunny kept moving, flipping her body every few minutes. Despite the tiredness, there was no way she could sleep in such a condition: crickets sounding here and there, ocean waves reminding her of the thunderstorm and the "bed" itself. Of course, it was just reasonably acceptable that Sunny could not sleep in the sand. No. It was just reasonably acceptable that Lee Sunkyu couldn't sleep in the sand. She was, after all, the niece, and sole heir of her uncle Lee Sooman's SM group of companies.

 

An island in the middle of nowhere is simply no place for someone who's lived with a princess like treatment all her life. More so, be trapped here in the same way that killed her parents.

 

She couldn't take the itchiness of the ground and sat up, hugging her knees. Looking around, she saw that guy, peacefully sleeping. That guy who helped her out in the ocean hours ago.

 

When the boat tumbled, she panicked, remembering that a sinking cruise ship in Europe was the reason why her parents died when she was 6 and was then left in her rich but old maid of an uncle. She knew she could swim well, taking lessons since her parents died. However, panic and cramps came together, and she was almost sure she'd end up like mom and dad.

 

Until. Until an arm took her from behind and swam upwards. The moment was still surreal even when they were surfaced. She barely remembered how she kept saying "it hurts" to the person who practically saved her and how Seohyun treated her cramps.

 

It was that guy. She felt a tinge of gratitude but she had said her thanks to him today and maybe it's okay. Uncle could just reward him later on for saving her precious niece's life. That is, if  we get back. Still, she's decided she is going to cut all strings attached now, if there was ever any. After all, men just want her for her inheritance, her name and social status. Who knows if that guy knew who I am really and only wanted the reward.

 

The thought frustrated her and she moved her eyes away from Sungmin's sleeping figure. He probably wouldn't help me if I wasn't uncle's niece. That mentality started since 16, the first time she dated a guy. Turns out, he only went out with her because of her background. Then at 18, another guy asked her out and as she was still naive, she didn't figure out until 6 months later that he was also like the first one. She never dated again until now, and uncle had started to arrange blind dates and marriage meetings with rich young men from China, Japan and Korea. Everyone of them, she firmly believed, were just after the company merging with theirs, if not, they only wanted the prestige that comes with marrying her. Her friends would call her a man-hater but she knew she had her reasons.

 

Now, after escaping from her bodyguards, cutting off her hair and changing her name, trying to have a vacation, away from her world where people watch all her actions, she finds herself who-knows-where. How great.

 

"Can't sleep?" a sleepy voice cut her from her thoughts. Sungmin, half-awake. "Why? Is anything wrong?" his sleepy voice and face is so cute, she thought but instantly erased it.

"I... am just not sleepy" she answered dismissively.

"Really?" He sat up and rubbed his eyes with the back of his hand. He crept his way to Sunny's place but she didn't feel scared, and that itself made her confused.

 

He sat beside her, trying not to appear sleepy. "You could sleep. I'm fine" she said but he shook his head. "Weird and scary things happen at night. Girls shouldn't be left alone" he replied and it amused her.

"I'll be fine~" she countered but he was adamant "If a bear attacks you, I'd kill it with my martial arts" he grinned, posing with a thumbs-up.

Her eyes narrowed "Were you popular around girls at your school?"

He was surprised at the question and snickered "You could say"

She laughed softly "Obviously."

"What? Why?"

"You're good with words and with flattering women" she shrugged.

He was visibly surprised and confused "Really? I... Never knew... Look, Eunhyuk is the playboy one in our family. Haha. I am not really that interested in girlfriends stuff yet"

She smiled pointing at the sleeping Eunhyuk "That guy?" and he nodded and whispered "You know what, that brother of mine is so cheeky. The reason I stayed awake is because if he sees you tonight, he might scare you off later with his "playboy moves". I don't want another girl complaining to me. So disturbing." Sunny laughed out loud and she had to cover as Taeyeon flipped over because of the noise.

The conversation continued for half an hour, Sunny genuinely enjoying Sungmin's weird facts about his brothers; both of them trying to hide their yawns, it was already half past 1 am. "And then Donghae is afraid of ghosts and-- oh! oh! oh!"

Sungmin was cut short when Sunny's head started to almost fall to the other side and he immediately caught it with his hand, resting it in his shoulder.

"Sleeping?"

He peeked at her face in his shoulder, moving a strand of hair. Seeing she was finally sound asleep, Sungmin smiled, and not able to fight his sleepiness as well, dozed off, his head falling on top of Sunny's head.

 

-----------------------------

 

"Ha! What's this?" Heechul snickered as he saw Sunny and Sungmin's position. He himself couldn't sleep, because of the bed he would say... but also partly because he can't stop thinking of Jessica. Her crying face and swollen eyes. It was the first time he actually saw a girl cry. No. Probably not really. However, it was the first time he actually cared.

 

He'd seen several girls cry, from when he was in middle school,  he had rejected three or so who confessed to him. In high school, the number of girls he rejected were perhaps tripled or more. And of course, all of those girls cried in front of him.

 

But no one. Not one of those girls gave him this cringing feeling. He does not know what he felt when she hugged him, nor does he know what the hell he feels now. Worse, there's something about her... And he does not quite know what that is. Just something... Different.

 

He does not know what this is, or what he should do... if there was ever any. But one thing he's sure of... She's interesting. And if Kim Heechul wanted anything most... It is to be challenged. Instead of being chased after... he'd rather be the one chasing.

 

Despite everything, he's also as exhausted as everyone else. Soon after sitting under the tree, he dozed off.

 

-------------------------------

 

The first few rays of sunlight started peeking in the horizon. With the chirping of a few hummingbirds in the distance, Yesung was easily awoken. He's always been alert and used to waking up early. After all, he had lived most his life working to survive.

 

He's first been to Seoul when he was 9, alone and practically starving. He took all his savings, tried out his luck and rode the train from his hometown after his mom died. It was just a good thing that Mrs. Shin saw him walking in the market. Had he been left out there longer, he could've died.  She was also the one who named him Yesung, as for some reason, he preffered hiding his real name that only the two of them knew.  Stupidly, he had a slip of the tongue yesterday and said his name. No one cared anyway.

 

Now, he's been trying his best to repay the ahjumma's kindness to him. Working as a janitor at day, bartender at night and Shindong,  Mrs. Shin's nephew, helped him to be a boatman on weekends to buy her diabetes medications.

 

Noting that the others were still sleeping, he walked around the beach, thinking. The port might make him pay for the boat despite it not being his fault. It was the senior who decided that they go on despite the dark clouds yesterday. Sigh. And also ahjumma. She'll worry.

 

Scratching his head, he instinctively looked to the right, to the woods. He just had a gut feeling that eyes were watching him. He couldn't see anything, or anyone, though, but a chill ran down his spine. Finally turning back, he saw a pile of woods and branches in the distance and figured they could be useful for shelter. However, the creepy feeling remained...

 

-------------------------------

 

Chapter 7 is out~ HAHA. Now we know Sunny (or Sunkyu)'s background. As for Yesung... What is hidden behind his real name? Was there really something watching him? Are there wolves? Bears? Or worse? We'll find out in the next chapters...

Ah, And I just want to say... I'm writing this story in advance which means I'm actually writing CHAPTER 16 right now. So if you request, for example, more SunSun moments, I actually consider it. However, the moment is placed not immediately but in the chapter I'm writing at the moment so I'm sorry if this chapter doesn't have much HaeSica and SeoKyu but you can expect them in the chapters to come. =) 

Questions? Suggestions? Comment box is open. Hehe. ;D subscribe pleaseeee~~ :**