Chapter 17: Protecting...

A Perfect Summer?

 

"Omo. What happened?!" Yoona exclaimed as she ran towards Sungmin and Sunny. Dark red blood was dripping from her leg.

 

"I slipped and got injured" Sunny admitted with an embarrassed tone. "You two are cute." Appearing behind Yoona is Donghae who commented with a small smile which faded almost immediately as Sungmin glared at him and said "Hae help her down".

As soon as Sunny got off his back,  when they entered the hut, Sungmin ripped off his remaining sleeve.

 

"I- it's okay. Really!" Sunny smiled warily as Sungmin oh-so-gently wrapped the cloth on her leg. She watched him as his eyes flickered like moonlight and she couldn't help but admire. To her, his eyes were almost magical.

 

"I'm afraid my brother would melt soon" Donghae said with a fakely sad tone before laughing out loud. "Why?" Sunny's eyebrows crossed. "Shut up Hae" Sungmin said without glancing up but Donghae could see that his brother is suppressing a smile.

 

"Let's go find the others Yoona-sshi" he said, grabbing Yoona's hand and quickly running away with an ecstatic grin on his face.

 

Sungmin finished the knot and asked Sunny if it hurts. He was worried that it could get infected or worsened. She shook her head but the expression on her face tells him something is bothering her.

 

"What's wrong? Are you really sure it doesn't hurt?"

 

"Mm. It's just... your shirt."

 

Sungmin glanced at both of his shoulders, suddenly feeling ashamed of showing his bare arms. "I'm sorry. It must have been disturbing you." he said covering his shoulders with his hands.

 

She had to admit to herself it was disturbing her. How attractive his fair and smooth complexion was. How y his not-so-huge arm muscles are. How attractively y it all looks. But her guilt and shame took the better of her.

 

"No. Sorry. Sorry your shirt got torn because of me. I'll buy you a lot when we get back, trust me!" she said emphatically. "I'm so sorry!"

 

Despite everything, her innocence struck him and it made him laugh. So she was concerned of the shirt, not of my body, eh?

 

Sunny was confused why he's laughing "I'm serious. I could buy you a hundred shirts if you'd like. Promise!"

 

He looked straight at her eye and smiled sweetly, charisma overflowing. "Don't worry about the shirt. Just... Take care of yourself next time okay?"

 

And she nodded. For she couldn't open or the butterflies in her stomach will all fly out.

 

--------------------------------------

 

"Eunhyuk-sshi... Is anything wrong?"

 

Those eyes. Those candid black eyes. It reminded him of another pair. The worry and concern, the flicker of sadness and warm ray of hope all etched on her dark pupils. It resembled her eyes perfectly. And the similarity sends chills on Eunhyuk's spine. Even the way she asked was similar. The only difference being the name.

 

Hyoyeon blinked but didn't avert her gaze from his face. She knew there was wrong. She felt it because she believes that there's an invisible string attaching her and this guy, linking their hearts together. Fangirl thoughts.

 

He inhaled deeply and just had to  look away. She can't be that girl after all. He left her at Mokpo. Sweet and young and innocent. And nameless. She couldn't appear in front of him now as a fan, or as a companion in an inhabited island. Or as Kim Hyoyeon.  Most certainly not as Kim Hyoyeon because the nameless girl is shy and quiet and alone. Unlike this frank and mischievous gal with him now. However, she could certainly appear as a friend, a confidante, a listener. And just like the old times, he adores the way she appears everytime he has a problem.

 

He sighed. At the moment, he sure needed a listener, an adviser. So to the girl, in the identity of Kim Hyoyeon, his co-worker, Eunhyuk poured out his troubles...

 

-------------------------------------

 

She was hurting but she could endure it. She was in pain but it was fine. And it's the first time she ever felt this way. Normally, the slightest injury would make his uncle call for a doctor. But uncle is miles and miles away from her now. All she's got is the man sitting beside her. But his presence was a better medicine than any royal doctor could prescribe.

 

"Oh! I didn't know you guys were here."

 

She heard someone say and she stopped herself from chasing him away.

 

"Uh, yes. Sunny got injured in the woods and I'm looking after her" Sungmin replied. 

 

He's looking after me. She turned her head to the other side to hide the stupid smile that she couldn't prevent from curving up her lips.

 

"I'm not disturbing anything? Am I?" Kyuhyun asked as he entered.

 

Is he disturbing something? Let's see...

 

For the past few minutes, Sungmin had only been sitting, humming the song "Falling Slowly". Apparently, he lost a topic to talk about and just hummed to lessen the awkwardness. She, on the other hand, lost all will to open up a conversation though there was a hundred things she wanted to ask or tell him about. She had been contented with listening to his calm hum. So, yes, at least for her, Kyuhyun actually disturbed something.

 

But since she couldn't really say it out, she shook her head and welcomed Kyuhyun inside.

 

"Kyuhyun-sshi. Where're the others?" Sungmin looked at Kyuhyun who was laying down on the other side of the small room.

 

Ah, right. I totally forgot that we were finding Eunhyuk-sshi a while ago. I'm so useless.

 

Sunny bit her lip, annoyed at herself not only for being useless but also for 'preventing' Sungmin from looking for his brother.

 

He must've been so worried all this time...

 

"Eunhyuk-sshi is with the others, I think they're finished eating by now." Kyuhyun answered. "Don't worry anymore"

 

Sunny heard Sungmin heave a sigh of relief and she thanked God that Eunhyuk-sshi is okay. Otherwise, she might have never forgiven herself.

 

"Ah... I see. Thank you."

 

"Sungmin-sshi~" Kyuhyun called while laying down, one arm covering his eyes, the other behind his head serving as a pillow. "Yes?" Sungmin answered, his back now to Sunny as he's facing Kyuhyun. She pouted, half-grudging Kyuhyun because she couldn't see Sungmin's face anymore.

 

I thought you're looking after me, how could you face Kyuhyun like that?!

 

A couple of inhales and exhales  took place bafore Kyuhyun finally spoke "That time... Your-- The theory" and Sunny had to forget her childish thoughts to pay attention to the two's conversation.

 

"That... Other people are in this island too?"

"Yeah"

"What about it?"

 

Kyuhyun got up into a sitting position and asked "Are you still considering it?"

 

Sungmin had to think for a while. That's right. The reason why he was so worried over Hyukjae's disappearance was because of 'the theory'. Subconsciously, he was still thinking of the existence of others in this particular island. He nodded. "It's the only explanation for the cut woods and knife... But I haven't thought about it anymore because what Heechul-sshi said is also true"

 

"That why is it that we never saw them?" Kyuhyun replied. "But it could be because they haven't figured out that we are here. We haven't even seen the other sife of this island. Like, we only got around not more than a kilometer radius."

 

Sungmin nodded and Sunny was feeling more scared and confused by the second. She got up and asked "But why do you suddenly ask that, eh, Kyuhyun-sshi?"

 

"Oh, doesn't it hurt?" Sungmin asked as he assisted her. She shook her head and sat beside him, her injured leg extended sideways.

"'Cause it distracts me. Those people could be cannibals or--"

 

"Ca-Ca-cannibals?!" Sunny gasped, eyes wide with horror. "Mm-hm, or pirates or exiled murderers." Kyuhyun nodded convincingly. "What?!" Sunny's eyes widened even more until Sungmin laughed awkwardly and said "No, of course, he's just joking"

 

Sunny moved her eyes from Sungmin to Kyuhyun and back to Sungmin before saying "I'm not a kid. I can tell the mood of the conversation and it doesn't seem like he's joking." Sungmin opened his mouth to speak when Sunny continued "And since I'm not a kid. You can tell me what's going on". Her eyes indicated how serious she was and Sungmin sighed but inside, he was amazed at her elegance. The way she talked and gazed at them was enough to make the both of them agree. "Sorry, I just didn't want you to feel scared or anxious or--"

 

"Don't worry. I admit I felt scared of cannibals but I'm sure you'll protect--" she suddenly caught herself; getting lost in a fountain of words. "I- I mean, us... All of us here-- Uh, we'll protect each other, right?" she desperately tried to correct the slip of her tongue.

 

Kyuhyun snickered. "I get it. So those people..." he began to direct it back to the original topic and Sunny had to thank him on her mind though she's still feeling embarrased. Sungmin appears like he believed Sunny's explanation though. Fortunately, she thought as she glanced at him. His face, his concentrated face thinking of possibilities like Greek philosophers in books. So Cute, she thought to herself as she too, tried to get a serious grasp of the matter at hand.

 

But deep inside... She knew she meant the words. Those unfinished words. And though she didn't say it all, she felt Sungmin knew it as well.

 

... But I'm sure you'll protect me anytime, won't you?

 

--------------------------------------------

 

"So, why did you fight?"

 

Hyoyeon asked with a concerned look on Eunhyuk who was busy playing with sand, grabbing a handful and watching it slip through his fingers. Obviously lost in thoughts.

 

How does he tell her? That the reason why he fought with his hyung was because of her. That Sungmin told him not to play with Hyoyeon and he got mad. That he was troubled with the way she reminded him of a special friend fron once upon a time. That his problems actually involved her. How does he tell her, eh?

 

He watched the sand flow in between his fingers, smooth and free.

 

...

 

It was during a cool afternoon in October that he first saw her. There was this huge rock near a small lake. He used to go there when his dad scolded him or when he and Donghae fought over candies or when Sungmin spilled his strawberry milk and then he'd cry or dance to amuse himself and not go home until sundown for by that time he has cooled down.

 

But on that one autumn day someone was sitting on the rock. He'd been frustrated all morning because his mom wouldn't let him buy chocolates and Donghae ate the last bite of his chicken during lunch and Sungmin wouldn't play with him because he was learning to play guitar. And now someone was sitting on his rock. He was about to shout at the kid in braids when he noticed that she breathed weirdly. He took a step closer and saw that she was sobbing really quietly. More like choking herself on her tears. He felt sad and couldn't bring himself to yell at her so instead, he stood in front of her, bent over, placed his hands on his knees and asked why she's crying. The girl wiped her tears and gazed at Eunhyuk for a long time. For a very long time, they stared at each other's eyes.

 

...

 

"Aigoo. You're making me so tensed. Just say it out!" she yelled which made Eunhyuk turn his head to her, breaking away from his thoughts.

 

It's just so similar. Those eyes. The way that girl stared at my eyes before... So similar with Hyoyeon's. Why had I only thought of this now?

 

"Uh. He... I just got enough of it. Got sick of it... You know I--"

"What do you mean by 'it'?"

"His advises. No, more like scolding, orders, rules."

"He's your hyung. He just takes care of you. I've talked to him. He's super kind, more than you." She bit her lip.

 

"What? More than me?" Eunhyuk scoffed, annoyed. He looked the other side and visualized the girl. Her face is a little blurred but her eyes were bright as candlelight flickering in a dark room. He remembered how at that time, the girl was hardly suppressing her tears and just plainly staring at him, as if trying to figure out a puzzle. Until she finally spoke.

 

"Is anything wrong?" and he was surprised. He knew the girl was definitely troubled but instead of crying in front of him, she asked if anything was wrong. And he doesn't know how to respond.

 

So he shrugged. "Why are you here?" he asked, standing straight in front of her. She swallowed. "Don't you know this place is mine? How could you sit here?! Since when were you going here? Did you--" He stopped himself when the girl suddenly resumed sobbing. "I'm... Sorry... I... I didn't... Know..." she said in between sobs.

 

He remembered feeling really guilty at that time that he doesn't know what to do or say. So he frantically wiped her tears and kept muttering "No. Stop crying. Please stop" and when she still wouldn't, he decided to do the one thing he knew he could do well.

 

Dance.

 

He popped and locked and did waves. There was no music except for the sound of the leaves rustling in the wind, and the sobbing of the girl which, slowly and gradually disappeared.

 

"I'm dancing for you... so stop crying, okay?"

 

After he said those words, he turned around and did a final pose. He glanced at her warily and remembered seeing her smile.

 

...

 

Right now, he'd still swear that was the sweetest smile he's ever seen. And he could even vividly visualize it.

 

That was the first, and perhaps the last time that he'd dance for a girl. Unless he'd see her again. But that was very impossible.

 

"You should say sorry..."

 

He turned his head and saw Hyoyeon stood up. "It's nice to have a brother like Sungmin-sshi. I know he only meant you well. Make up to him" she smiled and her heel, stared at the clouds. "If I were you, I'd treasure him"

 

He watched her stare at the clouds with a candid smile on her lips... Laying down on the sand, he too looked up at the clouds.

 

...

 

That time... After he finished dancing, he sat beside her, embarrassed. "So... Why were you crying?" he had been thinking of a more refined way of asking but he wasn't articulate so he just blurted it out. She sighed. A sad type of sigh.

 

She very timidly explained how her brother got in a fight supposedly because of her. Because the girls at school bullied her and because of her shy personality, she let herself be bullied. When his oppa learned this, he scolded the girls. But today, one of the girls' brother and fraternity friends decided to get back at him. They beat him so hard and now he's in the hospital. Though no one said so, she kept blaming herself.

 

Her voice was very soft that Eunhyuk had to keep his head near hers to hear her. She also had to stop at parts because her tears were flowing. Something within those had an impact on Eunhyuk, making him forget his frustrations and realize that they are nothing compared to hers. He put an arm around her shoulder and comforted her, even saying that if she needed a friend he's always here.

 

At the mention of 'friend', the girl gazed at him with a straight face that he wondered whether he said something wrong. Until another tear fell from her eye, she wiped it and smiled. A genuinely happy type of smile. She thanked him and shyly said "You're the first friend I have..."

 

...

 

Eunhyuk thought he could almost hear her words now as he laid on the sand. He wondered what had happened to her over the years. Was she ever bullied again? Did his brother get out of the hospital well? They actually met about seven more times after that and she almost never talked. He was always the one who'd tell stories  and she'll be a great listener and he'll confide his troubles with his brothers and one day he brought an mp3 player and they danced. She was really good and he once thought she'd be a great dancer someday. Which was why he struggled to be a good dancer. In hopes that someday, even without knowing her name, the rhythm, the beat and the movement of their bodies could connect them back together...

 

He sighed. The same sad type of sigh as the moment of their last meeting flashed back.

 

...

 

They had to move to Seoul that day and he was waiting for her to come at "their rock", practicing how he'd say that he was about to leave Mokpo... leave her.

 

She finally came with the same carefully braided hair and shy but sweet smile. They small talked a bit until he finally started turning the topic to goodbyes. He told her that it would be fine even if he's not always by her side because he knows she's an awesome girl, told her he knew she'd be a great dancer and that she should be cheerful because her smile is very beautiful.

 

"Don't be shy anymore... Because you're beautiful. Smile always, okay?"

 

She blushed and he bowed his head. Afraid that he would hurt her with the goodbye. Afraid that she would cry and there would be no one to put an arm on her shoulder anymore. He sighed and stood up, then he hugged her.

 

"I'm sorry. We have to move to Seoul... Later." She was silent for a few seconds before the words sunk in. "What? Y-you're leaving?" she asked and he bit his lip and nodded. Then he pulled away. They tried to make the last moments count. They danced and talked like everything's normal till the clock struck 5. From afar, Eunhyuk could hear Sungmin calling out his name. Time to go.

 

They hugged one last time and Eunhyuk turned around, jogging away. He doesn't want to look back because his eyes were already b with tears.

 

And just like that... They parted ways without knowing each other's names. And it hurts him to remember that he never got to protect her.

 

----------------------------------

I'm very sorry for the super late update but as I said I had some sort of mental block. I'm slowly writing the next chapters now. Finally. =)))

 

Did you guys like the SunSun and HyoHyuk moments? And a bit of YoonHae. ;)) I totally enjoyed writing the part where Sunny was envious of KyuMin. Hahaha. I hope you guys enjoyed reading it. ;D There's this story of Eunhyuk's past, I think the girl is sort of obvious but yeah, Eunhyuk didn't ask for her name so I wouldn't reveal it too just yet... HAHA.

 

Please subscribe and comment~ The next chapter would be the start of the 'angst' part of this fic. Yes this is actually tagged angst all along but it's been all-so-romance. And because it's gonna be angst-y, notice the change of background. HAHA. Thanks to powerducks for the awesome BG. :)))