New Song

Key-Umma is Better

 

After SHINee had finished their Chinese promotions, they had rested for a few days before starting on a new song. The parts of the song had already been distributed among the members. For this song, Taemin had a lot more singing parts; something the maknae was overjoyed about. The members practiced their parts continuously. One afternoon, Key was practicing his part in his room when Jonghyun walked into the room.

 

“Hey Key, let’s practice together,” Jonghyun suggested.

 

“Okay,” Key replied.

 

This was normal for them. They would always practice together whenever they had a new song. However, the two of them always knew their parts as well as they knew each other. In fact, all the members knew their parts well. It had just become a habit to practice it continuously. This helped them all as they would improve each time.

 

As Key and Jonghyun practiced together, they would often stray to talking about other things. They two of them had been practicing and chatting for well over an hour when Taemin came bounding into the room.

 

“The choreography is done! We can learn it after we record the song!” he exclaimed.

 

Key and Jonghyun smiled. They knew that while the younger male was happy about singing more, he would always love dancing and looked forward to the new choreography of every song. The maknae exited the room and bounded off. He was probably going to tell Minho next.

 

Key looked at the clock and realized it was time to start making dinner. He got up from his bed and headed for the kitchen. After dinner had been made and everyone had eaten, Minho and Taemin decided to watch a movie in the living room, and Jinki headed for the shower. Jonghyun was in his room and Key was washing the dishes. When he was finished, he checked on the two youngest before walking toward Jonghyun and Minho's room. As he stuck his head in, he saw the vocalist sitting on his bed with a pen and notebook in hand. Curious, Key walked into the room. Jonghyun was so concentrated on what he was doing that he didn't notice Key until he sat on the bed next to him.

 

"Are those new lyrics?" Key asked.

 

Jonghyun nodded, "I got a sudden inspiration and started writing, but now I'm stuck."

 

Key grabbed the notebook from him and started to sing the lyrics. When he stopped, he thought and said, "How about, "I don't understand this effect that you have on me."?"

 

"Hey, that's not bad," Jonghyun said and Key wrote it down on the notebook. The two of them sat on Jonghyun's bed and continued to write for the next couple of hours. By the time they had finished, most of the members had fallen asleep. The only one awake was Jinki. He came into the room and found the both of them smiling as they stared at the lyrics.

 

“You two should go to sleep soon. It’s getting late. Key, Minho is sleeping in our room tonight,” Jinki said.

 

Key nodded. Minho wouldn’t have gotten much sleep if he had slept in his own bed as Key and Jonghyun had been singing their new song for the past few hours trying to perfect it.

 

“Okay. Good night hyung,” Jonghyun said.


 

Within a few days, the new song they would be releasing was recorded and they started to learn the choreography. Taemin was more than eager to get started. They all worked hard on practicing the choreography, but they all had to admit that this time, it was much harder than they thought. The dance steps were more complicated than usual, but they liked the challenge. Seeing as they were preparing for a comeback, they had more time to rehearse. It was usual for them to stay early into the morning while rehearsing.

 

However, what the members found unusual was that Taemin was practicing harder and more than usual. One day at dinner, Minho-hyung decided to ask, “Taemin-ah, why are you practicing so hard? You should take a break before you collapse from exhaustion.”

 

Taemin stopped eating and looked at Minho-hyung as if he didn’t know what he was talking about.

 

“What do you mean, hyung?” he asked.

 

“You’re practicing a lot more lately. You stay later than all of us at the practice room and you rehearse the song a ton of times when you’re at home. What is going on?” Minho-hyung asked.

 

“Nothing, hyung, nothing,” Taemin replied as he bowed his head and returned to his food.

 

Not convinced, Jonghyun-hyung leaned toward Key-umma and said, “I don’t think he’s telling the truth. I think he’s trying to impress someone.”

 

Taemin’s face reddened as Jonghyun-hyung spoke. Seeing this reaction, Taemin’s hyungs smiled evilly and leaned in toward the maknae.

 

“Soooo, who is she?” Jonghyun-hyung questioned.

 

“Is it someone from the company?” Jinki-hyung asked.

 

“A trainee maybe?” Minho-hyung suggested.

 

“Is she a dancer? Singer? Or an actress?” Jonghyun-hyung added.

 

Taemin shook his head, “Of course not! Hyung, you’re all imagining things!”

 

“Ah! I know who it is!” Key-umma exclaimed.

 

Everyone’s eyes turned to Key. Three sets in anticipation and one set filled with dread.

 

“It’s that girl you met a few months ago,” Key-umma stated with confidence.

 

Taemin’s face reddened more if possible and the rest of the members laughed.


 

That night, as everyone got ready for bed, Key walked over to Taemin’s bed.

 

“Key-umma, how did you know it was her?” Taemin asked.

 

Sitting down, Key-umma smiled, “You’re my son, Taeminnie. Did you really think I wouldn’t figure it out? So, she’s why you’ve been working extra hard lately.”

 

Taemin blushed, “She’s a fan and I thought that since she’s be seeing the performances online, I should do my best to give her the best performance I can.”

 

Key ruffled Taemin’s hair, “That’s so sweet of you. You really like her, don’t you?”

 

 “I can’t get her out of my mind,” Taemin admitted.

 

There was a moment of silence before Taemin turned to Key-umma and said, “Umma! I forgot to tell you something!”

 

“What is it?”

 

“On the plane ride back to Korea from China, Jonghyun-hyung your cheek!” Taemin exclaimed.

 

Key shushed him as he was afraid Jonghyun would overhear.

 

“Umma, do you know what this means?”

 

“What, Taeminnie?”

 

“There’s still hope, umma. You two could still end up together.”


 

Hello everyone :D I'm so sorry for posting this up late TT I'm not too satisfied with that chapter, but I hope you all still liked it :] It's 10:30pm now and I'm so tired haha. Good Night!~

If you have any suggestions or ideas, don't be afraid to tell me :]