Adopted.

Sibling love.

We found her when she was just 3 years old. I was about 5 then. We've been taking care of her ever since.

To my mum, she was like the daughter she has always dreamt off.

To her, I was an older brother, her protector and the person she trusted most.

But, to me, she was more than a sister. The feelings that started developing when we were playing together, when we got punished together. That warm fuzzy feeling of butterflies inside of me started forming when I was 11. I have a had a crush on my sister for about 10 years. Adoptive sister to be exact. The love I had for her was infinite. It couldn't be described easily. But I guess no one saw through it. I'd like to say that I hide my feelings pretty well. Not even my own mother knew about it.

Life went well. I was contented to be by her side everyday. I need not ask for more but just her presence was enough for me.

But recently, things began to fall apart. Just yesterday, I asked her if she wanted me to do her laundry for her, as I always did. She just looked at me with expressionless eyes and walked around the house doing things on her own. She said nothing. Even when mother brought her favorite 'Hello Panda', she didn't squeal in delight like she always did, but she took it and left it by the shelf.

When night fell, I peered into her room. Her body faced against the wall. I heard sniffs and the sound of soft cries. My heart was aching just to hear the pure soul crying. I walked up towards her bed and sat by the edge. My hands slowly pulled the blanket and patted her. When all of a sudden she sat straight up and hugged me tightly with a completely wet face. She kept taking in short breaths and continued crying, no matter how hard I tried to comfort her. I patted her head that was lying on my shoulder. She began to mumble strange words. She finally spoke, I thought to myself.

"What is it?" I asked in a low soft voice.

"Why didn't you tell me that I wasn't your real sister?"

The room fell silent once again.