Chapter 6- Contract

Superiority Complex

He was seated on his seat with a blank but glaring stare. Amber watched him closely anxiously waiting whether he'll accept Amber's change of heart. As much as she doesn't want to give in to his offer, she had no other choice. Her father was in grave danger and he was the only one who can pay for the medical bills that will soon face her. She was panting and running out of breath. She needed him to agree or else her father is done for.

He pointed to the sofa and Amber quickly sat down. She wiped her hands and gestured to reach for a pen. Key didn't move. He only sat on his chair and looked at Amber.

"Why change your mind all so suddenly? I thought you weren't accepting my proposal?"

"Look, that doesn't really matter right? I'm going to sign now. Just give me the paper and a pen and you'll get what you're asking for.."

"Tsk tsk tsk.. Not so easy. Do you think I'll change my mind just like that?"

Amber went closer and worry was starting to grow on her.. "My father is in the hospital okay?! He was rushed today and I can't pay the medical bills if I don't sign the contract.. Now give me the paper and it's a deal!"

Key reached for the lowest drawer on his desk and brought the folder out which had the contract Amber was stressing out. He also brought out a pen and placed it in front of Amber.

"Where do I sign?"

Key flipped through the pages and pointed on a blank. "Just put your signature.."

Amber opened the pen. She placed the tip of the pen on the edge of the blank where she was about to sign. Was she making the right decision? Was she doing the right thing? But her father needed the money to survive. Amber took one last breath and signed the paper completely. She closed the pen and placed it gently on the table. She sat down on the sofa. Key closed in on the folder and returned the folder back into the drawer. She did it. She really signed it. She gave in to the temptation. She has made a contract with the devil.

Key soon stood up and fixed his things. He was bound to leave and only ordered Amber to close in on the door and turn off the lights. But before the lad left, Amber asked when she could get money to pay for the bill.

"Tell me how much the bill would be by the time your father will leave the hospital. Look for me personally or wait for me here if I'm not around. I'll sign a check and hand it over to you. Ohh. Before I forget.."

Key then opened his suitcase as if he was looking for something. He then brought an envelope. "Here's an advance. Use it as you please.."

And he left. She held the money tight, finally..

---------------

Amber went home first before she went back to the hospital. It was official and final. There was no turning back. As much as she doesn't want to deal with it, she was now a slave of that man and bound within his means. He can use her in any ways necessary.  Her bag was heavy but she had her mind too preoccupied to think about it. She arrived and finally crumbled on the floor.

She cried. She cried not because she regret signing it but because she felt so helpless. She wasn't capable of paying her own father's bills and keeping him alive. Amber was filled with disappointment that she can't practically do anything without Key's offer. It was so timely yet so frustrating. She never wanted to be indebted to anybody especially when it was about her family. But she has no other choice, if she doesn't accept her father dies.

---------------

She took a warm bath that night trying to ease the tension. She dressed herself and grabbed some clothes and toiletries for Jackie. They've already talked about it and her sister would be looking after their dad. Jackie insisted since Amber has work. Barely does she know what Amber has gotten into..

"Hey Jack."

Jackie faced her who was helping the staff in covering the bed in the room where their father will be staying. 

"I brought you some clothes and toiletries. Sorry I took quite a long time.."

"No.. It's no big. Could you put them in the closet over there for me? I'll be done in a bit."

Jackie managed to finish in five minutes while Amber was at the hallway seated on the floor. The nurses were already telling her to sit at the chairs readily provided but she insisted to remain seated on the floor. The nurses can no longer do anything about it. Jackie sat beside Amber.

"I've talked to the doctor almost an hour after  you left."

"What'd he say?"

"He's got a lot more stable but they have to continue monitoring him for another two to three days. They say that an attack may occur once again so they opted dad to stay at the hospital so that they can do something immediately if anything happens.."

"I see.."

Jackie stood and went to the vending machine and got themselves a can of Red Bull. It was ice cold and while they sipped it seemed as if they were drinking alcohol.

"Amber?"

"Hmm?"

"I'm really sorry."

"I already told you, it wasn't your fault. In fact you called the ambulance on time.."

"No.. Not about that."

"Then what?"

"This, the burden of this that you have to deal with. I'm really sorry.." Jackie had started crying.

"If only I was capable enough.. I'm the eldest yet you're stuck with the burden of taking care of not only dad but also me. I'm so sorry Amber. You should be having fun and getting to enjoy your profession but you have to worry about the fact of our bills, food and Dad's medical stuff.."

Jackie hugged Amber and continued to cry and apologize in between the sobs. Amber only hugged back her sister without saying anything. Jackie calmed down and went back inside and told Amber to go home to get some rest. 

And she did.

---------------------

It was past 9:00pm. It was still a little early and Amber went to their living room and opened some drawers as if she was looking for something. She brought out a large box and opened it. It had a photo album inside. It was a little dusty but she just wiped it off with her hands. She opened it and smiled on seeing their pictures.

It was around 10 years ago. Two years before they migrated to Korea. They were at California enjoying the warmth of the sun. They had pictures of her sister running around the beach as if trying to play tag with the waves. Upon seeing the photos, she remembered that they would make it a habit to make footprints on the sand and watch as the impressions they made get to be erased by the water. She remembered that though they didn't live comfortably they were happy. They were complete and that was all that mattered then.

Amber noticed that a tear had dropped on the album. She felt her cheek and tears were rolling down uncontrollably. She gave in and wept. She covered her eyes cried. She missed the way they used to be. She missed those times when the least of their worries is thinking how to not get bruised while riding a bike. She soon curled up in a ball and kept on crying and shaking her head.

"No.. Jackie. Don't apologize.. You have nothing to say sorry for.. Nothing." She cried until she fell asleep.

---------------

The sun was shining brightly on her face when she woke up. She slowly opened her eyes only to be blinded on how bright it was. She groaned wishing she could get back to sleep but had jerked up when realizing how bright the sun was already shining. She checked her phone and saw it was already past 10:00am. She overslept. She slapped herself and washed her face and only changed her clothes before she went out to go to work.

"I'm late..Drat." She said to herself. Traffic was no help as well so she arrived at the office at around 11:00am. Hyorin saw her enter and asked where she's been but to no avail, Amber made no reply. Hyorin brushed it off and went back to work.

--------------

Surprisingly, though with the lack of breakfast and the "bath" she took that morning, Amber was able to paint quite fast that morning. She finished half of the second portion she started working on about two days back. The paint emitted sadness but had bright colors. Amber interpreted it as some sort of confusion. 

"Amber eonni!" A girl called. Amber looked below her and saw that it was Sulli.

"What?"

"Let's eat.. Come on."

Amber added a few more and went off. She went with Sulli but Hyorin, Jia and Woori weren't there.

"Where are the others?"

"Ohh.. Hyorin and Jia eonni were called to go to the finance dept. Woori eonni already ate so I was alone.. I figured you haven't eaten yet so I called you out.."

They helped themselves and grabbed their respective meals. Sulli however had her eye on Amber while they ate. Amber didn't notice not until she looked back at Sulli.

"Is something wrong eonni?"

"No.. Everything's fine. Why?"

"You're eyes were swollen when you came in today.. So I thought you cried."

"Nah.. I always get swollen eyes when I get only two hours of sleep."

"Really?"

"Yes." Amber pinched Sulli's cheeks trying to show that she was just fine..

-------------

Friday came and Amber's father was bound to leave the hospital. The doctor has agreed to release him but recommended and stressed that he should be able to take his prescription everyday without missing any day. Missing one may risk another attack. Amber didn't worry on the medicine since that was already taken care of. The hospital bills were the current thing she was concerned about. 

She went to the office before going to the hospital. She headed to Key's office. It was a good thing he was already there.

"Hey.."

"Yes? What is it?" He answered while reading some documents.

"My father is going to leave the hospital today.."

"And?"

"I was wondering if you have the money with you that could pay for his hospital bills. He was admitted in the ICU so.. The bill is kind of big."

Key then placed the documents he was reading and reached for his bag. He brought out his checkbook and signed. He then looked at Amber..
Amber looked back as if wondering why. Key only rolled his eyes.

"How much is the bill?"

"The bill? It's.."

"It's what?"

"14 million won."  He was admitted at a private hospital since it was the closest. We didn't have the chance to transfer him.

Key wrote 14 million won as soon as Amber told him. The girl's eyes only widened surprised that he wrote such a big amount.

"Do you really have that much money?" She asked when she held the check.

"Do you think I'll be putting an amount I don't have?"

Amber only shook her head, somewhat astounded.

"By the way, you'll be fetched by a car several blocks from your home. I wouldn't want anyone to know about our deal so I can't risk fetching you at exactly where you live.."

"Why?"

"Why? You're asking me why? Have you lost it in your head that you'll go with me tomorrow to meet my mom?"

"Woah!Wait, what? Tomorrow? It's already Saturday tomorrow? But why?"

"One of my assistants will be going with you to buy you a dress that you'll be wearing.."

"Dress?!" Her voice shrieked as she uttered the word.

"Do you think I'll show you to my mom looking like that? Now shut up and go. I've got a lot more things to do."

Amber didn't retort.. She had no right to. She also can't complain since indeed it was part of the contract. She had to comply with no buts. She was about to leave his office but before she did, she said something to Key.

"Thank you.."

---------------

She headed to hospital to settle the bills. Jackie was at the room checking if all their things were packed up. Amber went to the room to help in carrying their things and to assist their father as they headed for the exit.

"Hey, Amber.. What are you holding?" Jackie asked.

"Oh, this? It's two months worth of dad's prescription. I figured to buy so we can't forget.. The doctor did say he can't miss a day right?"

Jackie didn't ask further questions but she kind of wondered how in the world Amber was able to afford that amount of medicine. They called in a cab. Their father was asleep so Jackie took the opportunity to ask Amber something..

"Hey Amber.. Can I ask you something?"

"Sure. What is it?"

"How did you pay for dad's hospital bill? Isn't it around 14 million won? Where did you get so much money?"

Amber can't tell her sister that she was in a contract or else Key may terminate it. He made it clear that no one was to know about their deal.

"Me? I asked my boss to have my salary used as the payment for the hospital bill. He agreed to it."

Jackie only nodded. She seemed to believe Amber's excuse which calmed her down.

----------------

They had finished putting their things back while Amber said that she was going somewhere. Jackie didn't notice she left since the girl was busy fixing their other things.. Amber walked a few blocks away from their house and saw the car that was assigned to fetch her. Key's assistant was already inside. 

She was anxious. She has never shopped for a dress in her life. The only things you can find in her closet are pants, shirts, jackets and work clothes. Call her tasteless but she didn't mind. She anxiously tapped her things which made the assistant give off a light giggle. Amber stopped feeling a little embarassed.

They went off at a botique. It wasn't a European brand but the interior of the store looked fancy. She was like a little kid in a playroom or something. Key's assistant then sped to talk to one of the stylists and asked to pick out a dress for Amber. She no longer tried on the clothes since the assistant bought it already once the stylist handed her the dress.

"Mr. Kim told me to fetch you again tomorrow at around 10 in the morning. I'll be at the same place where I was waiting earlier."

Amber only nodded looking a little clueless on what to say..

---------------

The assistant wasn't kidding when she said 10am. Amber went out earlier than ten and the car was already there. She opted to leave sooner before their neighbors start looking at her. She was a lot less anxious than she was yesterday but was still nervous since she doesn't know where they were going.

"Where are we going?" Amber asked.

"We are going to Mr. Kim's condominium. It's nearer to the restaurant where you'll be having your lunch so he told me to bring you there.."

"I see."

She didn't know why but she felt excited. She was excited what it was like to live in luxury and how their homes would look like.

They arrived 15 minutes later and went to the 16th floor where Key's unit was found. The assistant knocked and they entered. Key was at the living room lounging on the couch.

"Get dressed. We'll be leaving at 11:00am. Besides, I have to talk to you so make it quick."

She was guided into one of the rooms where more women were waiting for her. They helped her take off her clothes which kind surprised her. She shouted with what they were doing but she was forced into the shower to take a bath. They scrubbed her, shampooed her and made her squeaky clean. They brought her out and dried her and fixed her hair and all. She wore a red dress which kind of disgusted her but she has to no buts or ifs.

Forty minutes passed to prepare Amber for everything. She went out feeling a little nervous..

"Uhmm.." 
Key turned around and he looked at Amber. He had to admit he was surprised that Amber could actually look like a girl if dressed properly.

"Well?"

"You look...decent."

"Really? Okay.."

Key pointed to the chair opposite him. "Sit down. We've got things to talk about."

Amber followed and carefully sat, feeling she'll break the dress if she didn't sit carefully. 

"Okay, what is it that you want to talk about?"

"We'll be meeting my mother. I know her so I bet she'll be skeptical about this sudden marriage..."

"What do you want be to do about it?"

Key sighed and looked as if he was hesitating to say something..

"What?"

"You should try to at least act a little sweet when we're around her. I have to tolerate the act but we have no choice.. Just do what you think is natural."

"Natural?"

"Yes.. N-A-T-U-R-A-L.. Natural? You're from the USA. You should know what I mean right?"

"Yeah.. But.."

Before she was able to finish, Key butted in and signalled that it was time for them to go.

"Wait!"

"Hurry.. If you don't get up I'll have you take a cab."

And he left. Amber got pissed. She hissed and scrunched up her brows. She stood up and followed Key..
"I could so punch you right now.." She whispered under her breath.

And so they left.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Chapter six ^^ I don't really have much to say. Hope you enjoy! Stay tuned for chapter 7.